What Are You Thankful For?

CYBret

I'm thankful for Ahmed Boxe, the inventor of my favorite cache container. I'm also thankful for Glenn Paul Sekunda, the inventor of the GPS.

But on the serious side, I'm thankful for the people who worked to preserve the lands where we places our caches, and hike, and fish, and hunt, and camp. I'm thankful for a great wife, who doesn't mind my obsession with this sport and will often join me. I'm thankful for the great family that I was lucky to be born into. I'm thankful for a wonderful life, good health and Guinness stout. Oh, and the internal combustion engine and penicillin were pretty good things too.

Edited by briansnat

Now I feel like I need to be more sentimental.

I'm thankful for finally recognizing that my life is not my business. And as corny as it sound geocaching did have something to do with that. It made me focus on other things in this world that far outweigh my financial status. It made me discover places in my own back yard I never knew, nor cared, existed

I'm thankful for having an unusually amazing relationship with my wife. And I'm thankful that I'm not to blind to recognize it.

I....must ....fight... temptation to write... something funny.....errrrrr!

I am thankful for not getting shot today hunting for J&MBella's caches!! :D:(

For real, I am thankful for my family enjoying another year of health and happiness.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

Sorry 'bout that. I didn't know hunting was allowed in that park. I posted a nice big warning on the cache page. I'm also thankful you did not get shot today. Welcome back to the Island Doc. Happy Thanksgiving.

In fact, now that it's officially Thanksgiving (12:19)...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!

I'm thankful that the country I was born is free and I CAN go geocaching. I'm thankful for the places I have found because of it, the places I will find, and the fun times I've had with my family during those times.

Oh, and I'm darned thankful for the "how-to" for paperless geocaching, Cybret... :( That probably saved my sanity, and a couple of trees by now!

Even though our Thanksgiving was last month, I'm still thankkful for the fact that I have the best geocaching partner (MarinerBC), and that we share a common obsession. :( I'm also thankful that I'm healthy enough to go out and do this, and that my family is healthy, and that my business is doing well, and that I have met so many awesome people via this activity. Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends and cachers. Enjoy! :D

I am thankful for the freedom this country allows and the fact that many men and women have given selflessly for it's existance. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else to live. I am also thankful for the people in my life who love me regardless of my faults and shortcomings. I wish the best to all of the people who try to make life better for others without selfish motivation. HAPPY THANKSGIVING :(

Oh yeah; I might add that I am thankful that I am not a turkey.. at least the winged kind anyway.... :D

Edited by escarg0t

* I'm thankful that I've survived the most trying year of my life.

* I'm thankful that 2003 is almost over, and I'm hopeful that 2004 will be better for me and my child to be.

* I'm thankful for the the game of geocaching that has helped me take my mind off my problems.

* I'm thankful for the many friends that I've gained while geocaching. Geocachers are the friendliest community of people. Cachers have opened up their homes, offered food and drinks, and have overlooked my weirdness.... somehow. :(

* I'm thankful for the unknown cachers that voted for me not once, but *twice*, in the cache reviewer ballot held recently here in this forum. You folks rock!

* I'm thankful for the *bunker mentaility* from my fellow cache reviewers that has kept me from quitting 4 times. The addition of Heidi and the many new reviewers has helped ease the burden. The veteran admins have always stood by me. Thanks guys!

Anyway, enough sappy stuff ~ back to flaming each other! :D

Edited by 9Key

(In addition to most of what everyone else has said)

As far as geocaching, I'm thankful for the Admins/Moderators/Approvers et al who manufactured this site and keep the background stuff running.

I'm thankful to all the people who've hidden caches, allowing me to see sights in my own area that I never thought existed.

I'm thankful for Garmin coming out with a new Geocachers unit... :D No, seriously... :P

Outside of that, I'm thankful I have another day to be alive. The rest is just icing on the cake.

I'd be real thankful for more cake, though.... :(:D

I would like to take this opportunity on Thanksgiving Day to express my gratitude to the geocaching community. I have been involved for almost 30 months now, and have received countless hours of pleasure from the activity. I have also made many new friendships locally and across the country that would have been extremely unlikely otherwise. Most geocachers are quality people, and it is great to be associated with them. Thanks to all of you who have been so nice to me and have contributed to geocaching in so many ways. The sense of community is overwhelming at times.

Peace,

Darrell

Show Me The Cache

DssaysHi@aol.com

I have also made many new friendships locally and across the country that would have been extremely unlikely otherwise. Most geocachers are quality people, and it is great to be associated with them. Thanks to all of you who have been so nice to me and have contributed to geocaching in so many ways. The sense of community is overwhelming at times.

Peace,

Darrell

Show Me The Cache

DssaysHi@aol.com

Thanks to SMTC for getting me going in this great activity. I am going to the Middle East tommorow to help protect our freedoms we love in this country and feel I have a whole group of good freinds giving me support back here at home. Thanks to the Kentucky Geocachers for their support.

Turtle3863

I have also made many new friendships locally and across the country that would have been extremely unlikely otherwise. Most geocachers are quality people, and it is great to be associated with them. Thanks to all of you who have been so nice to me and have contributed to geocaching in so many ways. The sense of community is overwhelming at times.

Ditto, and my new acquaintances are not only limited to my country. I've been honored to get to know many great open-minded people of different nationalities. The globality of this hobby is undoubtedly one of the greatest aspects of geocaching.

I'd say that I'm thankful number one, for the opportunity to post about being thankful from my own computer. The job I have, the officers I am responsible for (great bunch of people), my family and our pets. The animals who are always there to show you affection no matter what kind of day you're having, and while on this thought I'm most thankful for Winnie, a kitten we had to put to sleep after only a week of having her.

One of my officers found her against the wall of a major freeway here in town. In order to get there, she crossed 3+ lanes of 65+mph traffic. She adopted me immediately and I brought her home. A previously undiagnosed serious condition forced us to put her down or risk watching/hearing her suffocate in our home. While one of the most difficult experiences of my life, I learned so much from her being around that I can state adamantly that I wouldn't have changed a thing, even if I knew the outcome, both financially and emotionally, in advance.

In the last 2 years here in Indiana we have gone from 188 caches in Dec. 2001 to close to 1500 caches. It has been a lot of fun watching this game grow here in Indiana.

I am thankful for better health and a fantastic hobby. I have met a lot of people during the last year and I have yet to meet a bad Geocacher. They all have a positive outlook and are from all walks of life.

Thanks to all of you for the last year of caching. I hope each of you has a fantastic time caching in the new year that is just around the corner.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. And I hope everyone has a really good Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cache On!

Indy Diver

I have food to eat.

I have a warm place to sleep.

I have warm (though not too stylish) clothes to wear.

I have family close by, with 5 kids that make me laugh every time I see them.

I have decent health

I have hobbies I enjoy

I have all the above, despite being unemployed since Jan. 2003

I live in a country, with a social structure that allows me to have all the above.

I live in a country, that inspires people to serve the greater good, armed forces, police dept, fire dept, and countless others that volunteer time money and energy to help other people.

I have the presence of mind that allows me to reflect on the millions of others that don't have what I have.

Thanks

I have food to eat.

I have a warm place to sleep.

I have warm (though not too stylish) clothes to wear.

I have family close by, with 5 kids that make me laugh every time I see them.

I have decent health

I have hobbies I enjoy

I have all the above, despite being unemployed since Jan. 2003

I live in a country, with a social structure that allows me to have all the above.

I live in a country, that inspires people to serve the greater good, armed forces, police dept, fire dept, and countless others that volunteer time money and energy to help other people.

I have the presence of mind that allows me to reflect on the millions of others that don't have what I have.

Thanks

Amen to that!

“Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.”

Oprah Winfrey

“Blessed are those who give without remembering. And blessed are those who take without forgetting.”

Bernard Meltzer

“Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.”

Will Rogers

Find a way to be thankful for your troubles, and they can become your blessings.

He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for the things which he has.

Epictetus

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.

Woody Allen

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I'd like to express my gratitude to all the folks who put their lives on the line for the rest of us. Whether you serve in the military, law enforcement, fire department, border patrol or some other form of employment looking out for the safety of others then I say thank you and thank you to your families for supporting you!

In a geocaching sense there are 2 "things" I wanted to give thanks for. First of all I'm thankful for my caching buddies who go by the screen name Cachensfun on here. They also happen to be 3 of my sisters teenage sons. They are always very courtious and patient while their middle aged uncle (me) has to search for 15 minutes (and sometimes longer) to find the same easy cache they spotted usually within 2 or 3 minutes of arriving at ground zero. I'm sure to them that it must be hilarious watching the blind old guy scratching his bald old head trying to figure out why he's the only one struggling with 1/1 caches, but they are too courtious to voice their amusement out loud or even in body language. Basically I'm proud to have 3 of the best caching buddies a man could want!

Also, I'd like to say I'm thankful for Rockin' Roddy from here on the Groundspeak forums. You see it wasn't until reading some of his posts that it really struck me how awesome paperless caching must be and that I had to experience it for myself. Within about 10 days of reading his posts I had my new paperless caching GPSr in hand and instantly knew that I'd never go back to paper again if I could avoid it. Not only did he introduce me to paperless caching, but he was kind enough to invite me and my nephews over to his side of the state to grab a few smilies with him and his son and talk about GPSr's for an afternoon. A real class act in my opinion

Finally I'd like to echo an earlier poster who indicated their thanks for the volunteers who keep this game running smoothly!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!!! :unsure: