Cache Ideas

Sewer Rat

i was wondeing if any other people had crazy cache ideas?

here is mine:

first you get a cylinder like container (like a pvc pipe sealed at one end screw of lid at other. then you connect it to a rope or chain. tye the rope or chain to a small metal bar or strong stick. drop cylinder down ghofer hole stick will make sure it dosnt fall.

Thats it now lets here yours! :P

Edited by Sewer Rat
first you get a cylinder like container (like a pvc pipe sealed at one end screw of lid at other. then you connect it to a rope or chain. tye the rope or chain to a small metal bar or strong stick. drop cylinder down ghofer hole stick will make sure it dosnt fall.

This is very similar to one of my caches. I get a lot of DNFs on it. :P

I once considered hiding a cache indoors, providing only a number and no other information in the description. The number was a room number (actually to a locked closet), and the cache was to be a micro hidden up underneath the water fountain below the room sign next to the door. To even further confuse finders, the coords would be triangulated from each entrance so that they did point to the exact location, but happened to always be pointing several feet inside the building. Never got around to hiding it, though, as I have yet to get a chance to ask for permission of the owners.

I have a pair of caches that are also hidden attached to ropes, and have had people visit as many as 6 times before they found it. Numerous people have emailed me saying that they were convinced it was gone, but it hadn't moved.

Edited by DavidMac
Hey,

In a multi-cache is their any rule saying that the waypoints can be really far apart? (Like 40 Km to one and 30 to the next?)

?

colonelby

:P

We have one around here that has 5 stages on a 250+ mile loop around the mountains. The thing once went over a year without being found, and it has taken me several months to complete.

I thought of an evil idea- we have a river with two boat launches across from each other, but it takes about an hour and a half to drive around to the other side. Coords at the first stop would point to the other side, which is only .2 miles away...

Make sure the container is water tight and heavy enough to sink and drop it in a lake, river, or swamp with an anchor point on the shore.

There's one off the coast of Alaska (if memory serves) like that. Coords weren't exact as current drift under the boat he dropped it from would obviously affect it.

It was mentioned in the forums last Spring or Winter if you want to search it out... There are plenty of other water/scuba caches like that too.

I'm betting the Antartica caches have more visits than that Alaska one...

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: I still like that 'chia' cache idea...

Mine is a variation on the pipe in the gopher hole thing. Make sure the container is water tight and heavy enough to sink and drop it in a lake, river, or swamp with an anchor point on the shore.

By "anchor point," you mean a rope or line the cache is attached to, right? So you'd just pull it in to log it, and toss it back out again?

Sounds interesting. Lemme know if I'm on target with that...

I thought of an evil idea- we have a river with two boat launches across from each other, but it takes about an hour and a half to drive around to the other side. Coords at the first stop would point to the other side, which is only .2 miles away...

Now that is evil... I like it.

Just remember, the harder your cache is to find, the fewer finders you will have. I like to make mine challenging, but not over-the-top. 250 miles? several hours of driving? Too much for most cachers.

Sometimes I wish I could be as creative as some of the caches that I've seen. One of these days, I'll get the inspiration to create a really challenging cache that doesn't require 250 miles of driving.

BTW, the cache on the opposite side of the river sound really evil. I might curse the hider if I encountered that one and ended up on the opposite shore. :P

I'm working on a series of caches based on a Capt. Kidd theme. What's so different? The cache containers are "treasure chests" (actual chests) filled with the type of treasure you would expect to find in a real treasure chest. No McToys. Instead you will find gold, silver, pearls, Spanish coins, gems, etc. The FTF gets to keep it all. Even though they are reproductions, they are not cheap. Your kids should love it! (If you can, get a photo of their faces when they open the chest.)

Also, no coords. Instead there are clues (similar to the Magellan Hunt). If no one finds them with the clues, coords will be posted.

Unfortunately, since there are no logs and no trinkets to trade, I can't list them here, so I've set up a web site for the hunt. Currently it's on my free web space from my ISP, anyone want to host it?

Edited by geospotter

My only problem with the Magellan Hunt Treasure Chests what that they were not water proof so when I opened them I was welcomed with a splash of water and attacked by the 1 gazillion or so ants that had colonized the chest and made it their comfy lil home.

Word to the wise would be to put it in a plastic bag or other means of making it watertight.

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

Seems to me that some of you like to create caches to show how clever you are. Okay with me to a point. My understanding of the spirit of the game is to give the seeker a pleasant experience. This certainly may involve overcoming some difficulties but why put the seeker through hell just to find a nothing cache in a garbage pile. I would rather have people find my cache and be happy, not just relieved. My own approach to cache hunting has been to not seek caches placed by people who have disappointed me in this way more than a few times. Quality, not quantity please.

When we had a few finds we felt as you do. But as our find count climbed we discovered the caches that we enjoyed the most were the hardest ones to find. We are older than the average cachers and like seeing if we can be fooled. As a result the difficulty of our local caches has gone up sharply and the locals seem to enjoy them.

Unfortunately, since there are no logs and no trinkets to trade, I can't list them here, so I've set up a web site for the hunt. Currently it's on my free web space from my ISP, anyone want to host it?

Sure just pm me. I have a domain called Norlan.org

Runs on fullXml atm. I can give you your own directory and editors permission :)

This site will run ( hopefully) userstats for nordic geocachers in a few days :)

J&MBella has an evil Urban Micro I did last month... Loved it even though I could hear the squirrels laughing at me!

JMB-13 Urban Micro

30296_400.gif30296_1700.gif

Thanks Doc! I'm gettingt ready to hide another urban cache. I'm calling it: I'll Bet You $50 That You Won't Find This Cache First In it of coarse will be a fifty dollars bill for the FTF. I don't know if I'll have it up in time for your trip to LI Doc, but I'll try.

When I started caching a few months ago there were 2 caches in northern Jackson County, NC, and one of them was a webcam cache. I now have added 17 caches to the county and 2 to adjacent counties. I have tried to make them varied, so that anyone who shows up here can find something to suit their tastes. I have multi-caches requiring a car to get from one end of the county to the next, evil urban micro-caches requiring stealth and discretion, puzzle caches where basic math skills will help, quick find traditional caches in local parks, and 4 mile hike caches to spots of amazing beauty.

I find that I enjoy the planning/preparing/placing of a new cache just as much as finding someone else's cache. And I really like reading the log entries from those who have found (or not found) my caches! What seems to come from my sadistic side is really really enjoying going out to find my caches with friends and watching them struggle to find some well-hidden micro!! It makes me feel that I have done my job!

Cheers and best of luck!

OzGuff

Well, I hope the gopher has already abandoned the hole. Otherwise, that would be quite a rude cache placement as far as the gopher concerned. :)

Actually, I already encountered a cache very similar to this, except that the hole in question was man-made (not by the cache owner).

Recently, while hiking in an area that (surprisingly) doesn't have any caches, I discovered a hole that seems good for this and I've been thinking about doing my first cache placement with it. The hole is unusual... It's about 7" wide and goes *straight* down a good 8-10 feet (judging with my flashlight). It seems to just be a natural formation, a result of the rocky soil in the area and some tree roots. - unusual for being in the middle of regular ole pennsylvania woods.

The best cache I have ever done involved a birdhouse lookalike container suspended 20 feet over a river by a cable and pulley system. The wire then ran up the side of the hill through whole bunches of heavy foilage cover and branches. (imagine what wire looks like 20 feet overhead with only the trees as a background while walking up a 60 percent grade) At the top of the hill the wire changes directions several times before coming to a point on the ground where one can unravel 15 feet of wire to lower the cache. Then you have to go back down the hill into the river and back up again afterwards to rehook the thing.