Cache Containers Vs. Forest Fires 101

skydiver

I've always just assumed that the container of choice in an area with fire potential would be an ammo can. Seemed like the most likely to be able to stand up to the fire and protect the contents. Not indestructable, but ... safer.

The Black Mountain fire just outside of Missoula, MT burned across the locations occupied by three different caches, two of mine (ammo cans), and one of a fellow geocacher's (tuperware).

The owner of the tuperware cache was able to get in and check on his cache yesterday... it was fine (container barely melted, and contents in good shape), but the area it was in had been completely ravaged by the fire, so he moved the cache to a new spot that wasn't so depressing.

So, with lots of confidence, I went to check on my caches today after work. One was completely missing. I'm assuming it was discovered by the fire fighters and removed as trash. Not really surprising, if it was in anything like the shape my other cache was in... I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

icon_wink.gif

skydiver-sig.gif

---------------------------------------

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Don't you think that if your ammo can was under a rock in the cool earth and not in a combustible stump it would of fared much better than even the tupperware?

Of course. But since ammo cans or considerably more expensive than even the good tuperware (at least around here), and a lot heavier to lug back in on a 9 mile hike to a remote location (which I've done), tuperware is starting to look more and more desirable to me. The damage the tuperware container incured certainly wasn't enough for the hider to say "dadgum, sure wish I'd used an ammo can."

The point of this thread was to offer up the leasons I learned, so that others can make even more informed decisions with their own caches. Stump or Rock, Ammo Can or Tuperware, SCUBA cache or Mountain Top.

skydiver-sig.gif

"We never seek things for themselves -- what we seek is the very seeking of things."

Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

While an ammo can is much sturdier than *ware, metal is an excellent heat conducter. In the Navy, we are taught how a fire can actually go through a steel wall. The flames themselves don't go through the wall, but instead heat the wall up enough that the wall catches objects on the other side on fire.

This is the same case here.

I'll still use my ammo cans as I figure if all things are equal the ammo can will fare better than plastic.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Hey Skydiver, was that Vista/Hayes or Snipe? Dean and I really liked Snipe Hatch and I've been planning to wander up the creek this fall to see the fire damage! I hope the other caches in the fires survived better than that one did.

A note on tupperware. When we planted Bear Creek cache we used brand new tupperware, washed and dried and let air to get rid of any residual smells from the store. Last winter several rodents tried eating their way into the cache. It had no food or smelly stuff to attract them that we could see.

We were told that plastic is "sweet" smelling to animals and sometimes they try to eat it. I can vouch for animals eating plastic as one of our cats eats plastic bag bits and the other goes for tape. The adhesive also attracts animals. icon_frown.gif

Good luck with what ever container you decide to use next. If you replace Snipe in a different location, do we get to go search again and log another trip up OBrian Creek? Please! icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

If you're putting a cache in a very fire-risky area, perhaps something besides an ammo can would be good... but in all other conditions, the ammo can will hold up better. I've never seen a cracked ammo can, or an ammo can that was wet inside, or a "time to replace the ammo can" log. On the other hand, I've seen dozens of tupperware-type containers that were in dire need of replacement -- cracked lids, failure to seal, etc. Plastic containers have a very short lifespan out in the elements. Well, three of the elements, anyway.

Real tupperware will seal better and hold up longer than off-brand stuff, but for real durability I'm still voting for the ammo can.

I'll bet the snipe egg I left in Snipe hatched during the heat and wandered off with the cache.

Could you tell I am too lazy to log in as a subscriber to read his Vista/Hayes note? icon_smile.gif

Am happy to see that the snipe area survived, it is very pretty this time of year. Now I just gotta convinve Dean to go up Black for the survivor cache up there. icon_smile.gif

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

At least your ammo can was air tight.

Until the air got so hot that it blew out the side of your can that is.

Thanks for the pics. Give the area a year or two and it will be all green again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734