ARE THE FORUMS BETTER NOW?

sept1c_tank

Well, seems suddenly things are better. Maybe it was Murphy's law. I wrote geocaching.com and complained that I couldn't login even to my cache page at home and then right after I sent it, I was able to. So, I wrote again and said that I got in but still could not login to the forums. So, now, here I am. I doubt my emails have even been read yet. Murphy's law....

Well, I hope it lasts (I also hope this goes through and won't suddenly decide to hang up)!

pika waving

Wow!....I feel like I've stepped into the twilight zone. No members are listed at the bottom as being logged in, and no posts here in hours. And, none of those chastity belt locks on the left side. Maybe we need more cunning computer geeks, rather than linguists? icon_razz.gif

Unless I have missed it, has anybody from the Admin team posted with updates on this slowness? I don't want to sound all grumpy, but if I'm paying for the use of this site, I should be able to create a new topic. After a while you get burned out on just replying to the same thread. I know they are probably doing the best that they can, but I think giving us updates every now and then would be a nice idea.

IMHO, The problems seem to be with the routers at infopop, where the forums are hosted. I've done a dozen or so traces over the last 12 hours with only 1-2 actually getting past the infopop router to the server:

> traceroute ubbx.Groundspeak.com

[...]

10 144.232.17.54 (144.232.17.54) 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms

11 sl-internap-69-0.sprintlink.net (160.81.229.38) 56 ms 55 ms 57 ms

12 63.251.160.74 (63.251.160.74) 60 ms 55 ms 78 ms

13 63.251.4.7 (63.251.4.7) 57 ms 57 ms 57 ms

^C (times out here)

-b3fiend.

quote:
Originally posted by B3Fiend:

IMHO, The problems seem to be with the routers at infopop, where the forums are hosted. I've done a dozen or so traces over the last 12 hours with only 1-2 actually getting past the infopop router to the server:

> traceroute ubbx.Groundspeak.com

[...]

10 144.232.17.54 (144.232.17.54) 59 ms 59 ms 59 ms

11 sl-internap-69-0.sprintlink.net (160.81.229.38) 56 ms 55 ms 57 ms

12 63.251.160.74 (63.251.160.74) 60 ms 55 ms 78 ms

13 63.251.4.7 (63.251.4.7) 57 ms 57 ms 57 ms

^C (times out here)

It's probably a firewall rule that's blocking your trace. After the Nachi worm came out, many network admins implemented ICMP filters on their routers. Some only blocked 92 byte ECHO requests, which was what Nachi was sending, while others blocked ALL ICMP packets.

Then there's the Cisco IPv4 vulnerability which lets an unauthenticated remote user block a router interface by just sending it some specially crafted packets. Many admins just blocked all traffic with a destination address which matched a router interface, instead of just blocking the protocols necessary to subvert the attack.

Anyway, traces have become pretty unreliable. I'll still use them for some troubleshooting, but I don't expect to get "accurate" info from them anymore. If I'm interested in whether or not a specific host is up, I'll try connecting to various services on it. If I'm interested in whether a network is down or not, I'll run an nmap ping or tcp/80 scan against the whole network.

--

It's a Jeep thing.

If you go to infopop's ubb.x community pages (aka forums) then they actually recommend trying a traceroute to their server to see if there is something causing problems on response times.

Also, there is an admin control panel that can tell the admins what the average response time is for page serves from infopop to us (as an average of the whole). It would be interesting to see, because anything that requires logging in (replies, accessing the Geocaching.com Forum, etc) takes apx. 30s at any given time of the day lately for me.

--

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than

the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.

-George Bernard Shaw

quote:
Originally posted by The Weasel:

Unless I have missed it, has anybody from the Admin team posted with updates on this slowness? I don't want to sound all grumpy, but if I'm paying for the use of this site, I should be able to create a new topic. After a while you get burned out on just replying to the same thread. I know they are probably doing the best that they can, but I think giving us updates every now and then would be a nice idea.

The Forums are a free part of this site, you do not have to be a premium member to use them. Therefore you are not paying to use them. As for the recent problems they are a result of problems at Infopop. GSP is aware of the problems and is working with infopop to get infopop to fix them.

Lackey to the QOFE

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

Je voudrais un poney

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

It's probably a firewall rule that's blocking your trace. After the Nachi worm came out, many network admins implemented ICMP filters on their routers.

Nope - no firewall rules. You see, I *am* the network admin for my ISP. icon_smile.gif

Traceroutes get there about 1 out of ten times. Either InfoPop's router is about to blow up, or the server is so overloaded it cannot respond to ICMP requests.

I think the forums are MUCH better. By limiting page loads and postings to just a few per hour, people are thinking about what they post instead of popping off a couple dozen worthless tidbits. Quality over quantity can be a good thing.

K.I.S.S.

quote:
Originally posted by Tower247:

I think the forums are MUCH better. By limiting page loads and postings to just a few per hour, people are thinking about what they post instead of popping off a couple dozen worthless tidbits. Quality over quantity can be a good thing.

K.I.S.S.

This may be true. In fact, I think the recent slowness of the forums is a conspiracy to accomplish exactly this goal.

Pan

Outside of dogs, reading is man's best friend.

Inside of dogs... it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

I think that I would be a little more understanding, and a little less frustrated with all of the recent forum posting technical problems, if there was a simple prominently posted note from the admin explaining what the problem is and confirming that they are working on it.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

This may be a crazy idea, but who knows, it may be so crazy that it just might work. Since there's the prominent note prior to entering the forums about the server problems, and the other problems (such as the hassel of moving threads), what about deleting the old threads that haven't been "active" in, say, three months or so? Who knows, maybe some sort of housekeeping would help speed things up and resolve the issues. It may not solve any of the problems, but it might be a good stop-gap measure to aid in some of the delays until a better/permanent solution is found.

Like I said it's probably a crazy idea, and I will be the first to say that I'm not a computer techie, so I'm probably absolutly clueless in what I'm saying (as far a computers go). But what else do you expect from a biologist? icon_wink.gif

As far as the slowness rant: I couldn't even access any of the threads in any of the topics all day.

We all breathe liquid for nine months, your body will remember. - The Abyss

quote:
I think that I would be a little more understanding, and a little less frustrated with all of the recent forum posting technical problems, if there was a simple prominently posted note from the admin explaining what the problem is and confirming that they are working on it.

They finally got around to posting something, but it was a little late. Slow forums are one thing, but they've been virtually inaccessable since at least Saturday.

I'm not sure if I buy Infopop's line about volume. I've had problems between 4 and 6 am, when most of the US geocachers are dreaming about ammo boxes in the bushes. I realize that there are people throughout the world active in the forums around the clock, but enough to cause these problems.

"The rainbow is more beautiful than the pot at the end of it, because the rainbow is now and the pot never turns out to be quite what I expected." - Hugh Prather

quote:

They finally got around to posting something, but it was a little late. Slow forums are one thing, but they've been virtually inaccessable since at least Saturday.

I'm not sure if I buy Infopop's line about volume. I've had problems between 4 and 6 am, when most of the US geocachers are dreaming about ammo boxes in the bushes. I realize that there are people throughout the world active in the forums around the clock, but enough to cause these problems?

"The rainbow is more beautiful than the pot at the end of it, because the rainbow is now and the pot never turns out to be quite what I expected." - Hugh Prather

quote:

I'm not sure if I buy Infopop's line about volume. I've had problems between 4 and 6 am, when most of the US geocachers are dreaming about ammo boxes in the bushes. I realize that there are people throughout the world active in the forums around the clock, but enough to cause these problems???

quote:

I'm not sure if I buy Infopop's line about volume. I've had problems between 4 and 6 am, when most of the US geocachers are dreaming about ammo boxes in the bushes. I realize that there are people throughout the world active in the forums around the clock, but enough to cause these problems?????

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

You should be a satisfied customer now! icon_biggrin.gif

Because God created the Natural – invented it out of His love and artistry – it demands our reverence. - C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)

quote:

I agree. They finally posted something, but it took long enough. Slow is one thing, but the forums have been virtually inaccessable since at least Saturday.

I'm not sure if I buy Infopop's line about volume though. I've had problems between 3 and 6 am, when most of the USA's geocachers are dreaming about ammo boxes in the bushes. I realize that posters in other countries are active around the clock, but enough to cause these problems??? I doubt it!

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

You should be a satisfied customer now! icon_rolleyes.gif

Because God created the Natural – invented it out of His love and artistry – it demands our reverence. - C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)