Quakemap's Shameless Advertising

Genoist

Is anyone other than me getting annoyed to see Quakemap.com shamelessly plugging their pruduct on the forums? It's not like people suggesting software, they flat out ADVERTISE it. I think it's irritating to see it on every thread that has anything to do with waypoint management. I didn't look at the terms of service, but is it against them to do this?

[This message was edited by TeamSJ1 on September 13, 2003 at 06:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Never seen a post by them. Maybe they have a deal with Geocaching?

Of course if you look at the link below my sig line...it's an advertisement.

EL Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Is your stick Mac compatible?

icon_biggrin.gif

erm...they look nice, might get you to make one for my boy. I need a breakaway staff though - he'll probably hit me with it icon_smile.gif

Check my scandalous stories, site, and my fishing skills

Is your stick Mac compatible?

icon_biggrin.gif

erm...they look nice, might get you to make one for my boy. I need a breakaway staff though - he'll probably hit me with it icon_smile.gif

LOL! Sorry all my staffs are sturdy. You might want to order one for yourself for self protection. Only order yours bigger than his. icon_biggrin.gif

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

Eh, seems somewhat reasonable to me. It's not like people are asking about something totally unrelated to the topic. The "Post a pic" thread is probably the closest.

Quakemap does rock, though. I've enjoyed using it. I'm not in anyway being paid to make this statement, nor am I being given any gifts or "plugola."

Remember kids, CYBret Uses Quakemap! icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Quakemap does rock, though.

I agree. I could've saved a lot of the money I spent on other mapping software had I found Quakemap first.

There are other people in the GPS units and software forum promoting their programs besides him and I don't have a problem with any of them.

I think their participation in the forums only results in better software for us.

They have been warned about this by TPTB at least once before. They quit for a while, but it looks like they've started up again.

I don't mind someone mentioning software, when it's actually an appropriate answer to a question asked. But that's usually not what's happening. They just look for any opportunity to get in a plug.

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

OK, I wasn't even going to post to this thread, but then I happened to read the Additional maps or not ?? thread in the beginner forum. Made me think of this thread right away. The question is about loading maps onto the GPS, yet not once, but TWICE quakemap.com posts that his software is what the person really needs. Seems a bit over the top, especially in the beginner forum.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

Not everyone likes quakemap. I tried it when it was first known here and then again recently. Still don't care for it.

To me, quakemap is like a Swiss Army knife. It's got a lot of tools and tries to be everything to everybody. What comes out is it does some jobs okay but at a premium, but other jobs not nearly as well as others.

No, I use MSS&T for street navigation and trip planning. That gets me to the trailhead and I don't have to be hooked to the internet or have downloaded a ton of maps.

If I need aerial maps, I use USAphotomap, it's free, fast, and accurate.

CR

72057_2000.gif

I think it a plug when I read there replies. This type of answers bugs me all over the net when someone asks something and when you read a reply that directs you to somebodies web site.

Most users could find there own answers and learn more if they RTFM that came with the product.

I learned this is school when we asked one of the instructors a question the first answer back was "Did you read the book"

icon_rolleyes.gif

gm100guy

http://members.rogers.com/gm100guy/cachepage.htm

Ontario geocachers http://groups.msn.com/GeocachinginOntario/homepage

I really like it for planning in certain areas. In fact, I used it to plot the waypoints for a couple of multi-stage event caches at the event cache coming up in October. The printouts with waypoints showed the exact route planned for the 13-stage cache. It helped in showing the park rangers exactly what we had planned, and I think they really appreciated the effort put into it.

Depending on where the cache is, I'll download the waypoints and plot out routes for potentially difficult caches.

Brian

Team A.I.

----------- posted by TeamSJ1: -------------------

The majority of the world is stupid, and the rest of us are in danger of contagion

--------------------------------------------------

Thanks to TeamSJ1 for opening this topic, and for everybody who responded. I am flattered to hear good responses about the product (mentioning it's name here would be shameless advertising, right? :-). These kind of responses and the knowledge that people really use it keeps me going. Those who don't like the program and responded with the reasons WHY - are greatly appreciated, this is something for me to work on. I've read once that any successful product has to have its fans AND haters, if people are not passionate about it - the product dies. Not going to happen here, I guess?

Now about plugs, spamming etc. - straight to the topic of this thread. This is a site for people sharing fun, learning new (sometimes very complex) things and looking for SOLUTIONS in a sea of expensive and mostly poorly working widgets. I happen to have some knowledge (having programmed for GPS, mapping etc.) and some kind of solution (yes, imperfect, and not for everyone). If somebody asks for advice like "how do I manage waypoints and load tracks on PC" should I keep silence? really? Shall somebody shut me up if I do? Shall we have a priest to decide who is stupid, and who is in danger - well, there are always volunteers for this position, if in doubt, read some history and look at the rest of the world. I am not the greatest authority on Internet etiquette, but words like "spam" are well defined, do some reading before throwing them around. The bottom line, really, is that this site (geocaching.com) has an owner and they decide what rules we play by and what to do when we step over. I personally try to contribute and stay within the borders as many other software authors do.

Anyway, I thought I owed you all a response. Keep carrying forward random acts of kindness and don't forget to find a cache or two in between the endless hours at the computer. It is all about doing, finding, sharing.

Happy trails,

http://www.quakemap.com/sergei

Quakemap.com, I agree with much of what you have said, in particular, your statement:

“The bottom line, really, is that this site (geocaching.com) has an owner and they decide what rules we play by and what to do when we step over.”

Until TPTB stop you, you are of course entitled to “share” your “solutions” to very complex problems with the rest of us. And we of course should accept such advice, with the proviso that it may not be gratuitous, being given with an obvious commercial motive.

Too bad the facetious and condescending tone of your response is going to get in the way of Quakemap.com finding any more "fans", me included.

Perhaps some professional PR advice for your blossoming product would be in order? (that was intended to be facetious and condescending)

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. geol4.JPG