Using the Private Topics feature as an Off Topic forum?/Announcements of private topics.

Snoogans

Okay! I just had and epiphany thanks to Hydee's post on another useless thread:

Hydee said, "If you would like to get into a flame war with a fellow forum user please do not torture the rest of us with this silliness. Take it to email or a private forum. This is not acceptable for a public forum."

Now why didn't I think of that? This site has sooooo many features that many are overlooked entirely. There is no urgent need of an Other Stuff forum with the private topic feature.

Since I have never used this feature before I have a few questions:

Is there a limit to contacts?

Can users be invited to an existing private topic, or do they have to be in from the beginning?

Can an invited guest on a private topic also invite someone else to that topic?

NOW, Use this thread to solicit contacts for your own private topics, or to ask a question about using the private topics/contacts feature.

My announcement:

COME JOIN US! I am reviving the Cheers Gang thread as a private topic. YAY!

I have already added the names of the users who posted (positively) on the Cheers Gang thread to my contacts list. Does anyone else want to join? Email me or post your request here. Everyone that asks will be accepted. NO ONE will be excluded from this private topic.

I will wait a little while to get it started until I get a few answers to the questions that I have.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

So if I get in a flame war in private sure I can really open up the old flamethrower when I'm holding back in the public forums but what I will never know is how many people think I'm off base or dead on target.

It's just one of those things. If everyone thinks you are daft, especially if they normally agree, there is a good chance that you are daft.

You would never have that check & balance in a private topic.

I think they are best left for planning a suprise birthday cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

So if I get in a flame war in private sure I can really open up the old flamethrower when I'm holding back in the public forums but what I will never know is how many people think I'm off base or dead on target.

It's just one of those things. If everyone thinks you are daft, especially if they normally agree, there is a good chance that you are daft.

You would never have that check & balance in a private topic.

I think they are best left for planning a suprise birthday cache.

You never disappoint RK.

I agree. You are 100% ON TARGET with that one. icon_wink.gif BUT, since the frequently suggested Off Topic Forum has been denied by TPTB, then this is a happy alternative to stay within the geocaching demographic and not have to worry/get ticked off about getting shut down.

I absolutely agree with locking threads that serve no purpose. The one that was locked earlier today is a prime example. This cache pirate crap should be discussed in private where they can't get a charge out of it. We now have one here in Houston. (or so I've heard) You think these threads don't contribute to the problem? I think that suggestion from Hydee was enough. There's no reason to bang your head against a wall. Just start a private forum.

I used the private topic once to have a private conversation with Jeremy after he locked a thread I created.

He never came to my private topic.

I haven't used it since.

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

quote:
Snoogans wrote:

This cache pirate crap should be discussed in private where they can't get a charge out of it.

Good point. It's enough to get me there. I've got a few ideas about this pirate stuff that I'd like to share with some of you guys but I don't want to discuss it with these wimpy pirates listening in.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Snoogans wrote:

This cache pirate crap should be discussed in private where they can't get a charge out of it.

Good point. It's enough to get me there. I've got a few ideas about this pirate stuff that I'd like to share with some of you guys but I don't want to discuss it with these wimpy pirates listening in.

You're already on the cheers list. Remember, you're Paul. icon_wink.gif

You should start a private topic of your own about the pirates. Sign me up.

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

I'd like in on this, if someone is so inclined.

Can I be that manic who stalked Diane?

Pan

_What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series._ - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

NO ONE that wants in will be excluded. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Is there a limit on how many you can invite? What if you gave a private topic and invited _everybody?_

According to the link that The Leps gave, everyone has to be in from the beginning. I have not gotten an answer on a limit.

I DO HAVE A PLAN for anyone who gets left behind. There were several sets used in the bar; I.E. Sam's Office, The Billiard Room, Cliff's Apt. Etc. I will add to the lists on additional private topics and we can archive the old topics in a progression, or until we find a limit, OR until TPTB decide to grant an Off Topic Forum. How does that sound?

Of course, there will always be stuff that doesn't belong anywhere but in private. The pirate and gun issues are a prime example of that.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

That was Andy Andy. Lol! I just noticed that.

That really fits you Pan.

I'm confused by your post. Can you explain it more.

Specifically, I don't know why you wrote Andy twice. And I'm confused as to whether the character was Andy... or whether someone in the thread was named Andy.

Second, why does that fit me?

I'm con-fus-ed.

Pan

What does anybody want? I want the Red Sox to win the World Series. - Bill Pullman as Alan Safian in Malice, in response to being asked "What do you want?"

quote:

Is there a limit on how many you can invite? What if you gave a private topic and invited _everybody?_

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

I guess the real question comes down to is there a limit to the number of contacts in your list? This is how you make the topics private... you invite from your contacts list.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by scoobie10:

So when do we get the "official" invite to this thread?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Scoobie

A day without sunshine is like.....NIGHT!

I am adding the names as they come up plus a few from similiar frivolous threads.

How about Friday? I will continue to add names for each following progression of threads.

Again, NO ONE will be excluded if they want to participate.

If it grows anywhere as quickly as this thread, we will be happy to move on to the next one before we have to read another 5 pages to catch up on nothing. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:

That was Andy Andy. Lol! I just noticed that.

That really fits you Pan.

I'm confused by your post. Can you explain it more.

Specifically, I don't know why you wrote Andy twice. And I'm confused as to whether the character was Andy... or whether someone in the thread was named Andy.

Second, why does that fit me?

I'm con-fus-ed.

Pan

A definitive answer here would be: Yesss, exactly. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Snoogans, I like the way you think. icon_biggrin.gif You've got a sort of underground newspaper going on here.

I wonder if TPTBs will tolerate it; and how far could we take it?

I really hope you're inviting jeremy and the gang (not that they really need an invitation!).

icon_wink.gif

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:

I wonder if TPTBs will tolerate it; and how _far_ could we take it?

I really hope you're inviting jeremy and the gang (not that they really need an invitation!).

icon_wink.gif

I had planned on inviting Brian, Heidi, and Jeremy. They may discover that an Off Topic Forum is really a good idea.

Am I the only one that recognizes the power and potential of the Geocaching Demographic?

I have said this many times now; "As a subset of humanity, most geocachers are well above par."

I for one, have never had much interest in Joe Public. I am continually amazed by geocachers though. I jump at the chance to attend an event cache. How much fun would an event cache be if you only talked about geocaching?

I am still adding names to start this off tomorrow night. If you want in, just post here, or send me an email, and you WILL be included.

So far:

User Name

9Key

Breaktrack

BrianSnat

canadazuuk

carleenp

Chris&Cindy

Doc-Dean

El Diablo

GeoFool

hikemeister

hydee

Jeremy (Admin)

joefrog

Jomarac5

Lefty Writer

LQQKING4U

mckee

Mystery Woman

Pantalaimon

Pat Patterson

Planet

pnew

Renegade Knight

Romad_Pilot

Rothstafari

SamLowrey

scoobie10

sept1c_tank

Stunod

T10X

TEAM 360

Team GPSaxophone

The Leprechauns

TMAN264

TotemLake

Webfoot

I will edit this post before I send the invitations to the private topic. See ya there. If you want to be removed, please send me an email.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Oooh oooh... invite me....

I would flame you in public

I would flame you in private

I would flame you in a house

I would flame you with a mouse

I would make you eat green eggs and ham

What he said. Invite me please.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:

Am I the only one that recognizes the power and potential of the Geocaching Demographic?

I have said this many times now; "As a subset of humanity, most geocachers are well above par."

I for one, have never had much interest in Joe Public. I am continually amazed by geocachers though. I jump at the chance to attend an event cache. How much fun would an event cache be if you only talked about geocaching?

No you're not. I frequent the Where's George bulletin boards and Hank has had a off topic forum all along, originally calling it the Lost Georger forum, then changing it to the Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Forum where anything can be discussed EXCEPT politics. He created a separate politics forum after the flame wars threatened to burn the entire site down. It really does work well and most everything that can be discussed or brought up is discussed there, only not quite as in depth as here. But people can post jokes, tell stories, do just about anything short of endorsing a political candidate - Darn California Governor's race. icon_rolleyes.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:

I am still adding names to start this off tomorrow night. If you want in, just post here, or send me an email, and you WILL be included.

So far:

User Name

9Key

Breaktrack

BrianSnat

canadazuuk

carleenp

Chris&Cindy

Doc-Dean

El Diablo

GeoFool

hikemeister

hydee

Jeremy (Admin)

joefrog

Jomarac5

Lefty Writer

LQQKING4U

mckee

Mystery Woman

Pantalaimon

Pat Patterson

Planet

pnew

Renegade Knight

Romad_Pilot

Rothstafari

SamLowrey

scoobie10

sept1c_tank

Stunod

T10X

TEAM 360

Team GPSaxophone

The Leprechauns

TMAN264

TotemLake

Webfoot

Hmmmm....seems like the Usual Suspects more than Cheers. icon_wink.gif

I'm in if there are any stools left...

Remember, wherever you go- there you are!