Placing a cache near your home (like, really near)

cmpalmer

We just moved to a new house. You have to make several turns into the neighborhood to get to the front of our house, but the privacy fenced backyard faces a major road with a paved sidewalk on a wide swath of land (the sidewalk is +20' from our fence and +20' from the road -- nicely shaded and landscaped). The sidewalk is used heavily by joggers, dog walkers and bikers and actually extends down to a park in one direction and a greenway in the other. My property actually extends behind the fence some amount (I have to check to see how much), but, of course, the sidewalk and ROW area are on an easement.

I was thinking the other day that I could put a cache either on or near my fence (there is no back gate) or in the landscaping that would be accessible from the sidewalk without having to worry about people parking near my house or traipsing through my yard.

Has anyone seen or placed a cache like this? Are there approval issues? Can anyone with a more paranoid mind than me see a problem with this?

--

stream of did I lock the front door? consciousness

Can't quickly find it for a markwell, but it has come up, and it does make some people a little squirrelly. I found one that sounds much like yours, and the placer may live nearby, but I couldn't tell. What made people feel odd was the notion that someone was "watching" them.

My take: go for it. If someone is so bored that they want to watch me, they're welcome to it.

It's around here somewhere...

Yup. We have a full-size one here locally that is anchored to a lamp post next to a sidewalk in front of the owner's house (within the public easement). It was the final on a rather involved multi. Neighbors across the street weren't let in on the game until after they had already reported suspicious activity. icon_cool.gif

It is a well-stocked cache, and it is unlikely to be plundered.

There's another one that is a micro in a similar location, and has had many many visits.

I would do one myself, if I could figure a way to make it work on my property.

"...clear as mud?"

I heard a story in NC of a multi-cache where the first stage was on the cache owner's front lawn, there were a few other stages, and the final stage was around 100 miles away. If the cache owner was home, he'd secretly snap your picture processing stage 1, then he'd outrun you to the final stage, and when you got there you'd find your picture in the cache. I thought that was the coolest thing!

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Zzzoey's dad has a cache near his front yard that has been very popular called Gopher...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8e2a5fa4-6024-4367-94ff-ffee43981b7c

People have really enjoyed that one because it's in a rural area, although many still comment that they feel eyes on them.

There's another one in Bend, a big multi that ends in a yard. We've specifically avoided going for it because the logs we've read made it sound a bit undesirable.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=4f7111f3-54d0-4e01-ac89-0c384e73d28a

I think it really comes down to common sense. Are people going to take some enjoyment from this place or is it just another cache? You make the call...

illDRIVE

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

I have the same situation. I just moved into my new house a month ago...

I live in a cove too On the other side of my back fence is a sidewalk and the main street going through town. I've been thinking about putting a self service web cam cache there. I was going to use a wireless webcam. All I need is a way to power the cam. I don't really want a extention cable running across the lawn. I can use my PC in the house to run the FTP site for the pics.

Anyone got an idea?!?

64784_1200.gifBeen there... Done that...

This one starts off just outside the apartment of the cache owner at the edge of the lake. He put a $50 in as first finders prize. There were some very funny pics of the opening day of season but I didn't see them on the cache page just now.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

We live on a couple acres and half of it is wooded. I was wondering about the same thing. It would be in my front yard theoretically though because my house sits on the backside of the propery. But it's not like you are directly in front of my house.

The webcam would be cool, you could do one of those wireless cams that are on the pop up ads. Would have to be somewhat close to the receiver on the computer, but depending on the distance it may work. I even thought about one near my mailbox or attached to my mailbox as well. Or making it part of a multi using hte house numbers as part of it.

Brian

www.woodsters.com

quote:
I've been thinking about putting a self service web cam cache there. I was going to use a wireless webcam. All I need is a way to power the cam.

Here's a twist-can you put some sort of monitor in the cache? Then when it is found there will be a pic of the finder as he starts his furtive hike cross the lawn? icon_rolleyes.gif

That would make me jump! icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

I had an idea for a cache once that went like this:

I was going to hide a cache very near my house, just like you propose to do. Now, it will be pretty well hidden, and about 100 yards or so away from the bay window in the living room, and there will be various places around the cache for geocachers to hide, like bushes and trees, as they sneak toward the cache.

I will make it very clear that the cache is on private property, my property, and that all cachers have permission to be on the land.

Here's the catch, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the cache, sign the log book and trade your items WITHOUT GETTING PHOTOGRAPHED BY ME. You will be required to take your picture with the cache camera, and *I* will be hunting you with a camera inside the house... and maybe around the property.

Anyone who logs the cache on-line without a cooresponding picture in the camera log is deleted.

Anyone who I CATCH (with my camera) logging the cache can't log/has their log deleted.

All these rules would be clearly spelled out on the cache page, and the cache could be named something like.... Stealth Cache.

Imagine the fun I could have with this one at Halloween. I'd change it to the Scare the Bejesus Out of You Cache.

I think you should steal this idea.

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

I have one in my front yard and it has been a blast getting to watch people hunt, while trying to be discreet. After a minute or so I usually go out to introduce myself and serve lemonade or water. Seems nice at first, but then the pressure is on, I sit and watfch them hunt this fairly difficult cache, without offering any hints. Nice to meet new folks though.

I say fine, but please post on the cache page that it is on private property and you have the property owner's approval. I would refuse to search on private property without such a legend, fearing I was in the wrong place and not wanting to get in trouble. Also the cache site would need to be such that there is no chance of people going astray and rooting around in someone else's yard unless your neighbors know about it and are OK with that.

I have one in my front yard named "NIMBY". It's pretty funny when we spot people finding the cache. It's amazing the number of them who log in the cache but not on the web page. I let the poodles out onto the upstairs balcony to bark at some of them! My neighbors do know about the cache. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link but I will try. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1be16c8f-3f2b-4827-b5bf-0eea62ecb919

For some of you thinking of using a wireless webcam. You could use a small solar panel and battery combination. Disguising it would be best. It would also have to be anchored well so as to prohibit the casual thief. If you look at some of the small garden or walkway lights you'll get the idea.

Forrest

I would generally be uncomfortable finding a cache in someone's yard if I hadn't met the person before (and here in NE, I maybe have). But this one sounds like one more on the outside of the yard, and I say go for it. Go for it even in the front, just know that some might skip the cache.

With that said, I plan to find Tahosa's on my next CO trip, but I'll be telling him that I'm coming too. I definitely need to meet Tahosa! icon_smile.gif

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

Has anyone seen or placed a cache like this? Are there approval issues? Can anyone with a more paranoid mind than me see a problem with this?

I place this cache behind our house a couple of years ago. I archived it back in June because we moved out of the house. It was pretty cool to hear the dogs go off in our backyard and be able to go out on the back deck and meet some of the geocachers looking for the cache. I met GPSaxaphone and his family when they came out from New Mexico to visit family there. I've met most of the local cachers also.

Unfortunately, where I live now, there's not the same kind of access. The back of my other house had a drainage ditch behind it and then the abandoned railroad. There was also two chain link fences, so the cache wasn't in my back yard, but it was about 50 feet from my back yard property line and I could almost see the cache container from my back yard deck.

I'd love to have the same kind of situation here, but all the houses abut one another here and there's no place to do that, so I'll have to be satisfied with the memories. Good luck if you decide to place one there.

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.

sigavatar.gif

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=43286&log=y&decrypt= starts off just outside the apartment of the cache owner at the edge of the lake. He put a $50 in as first finders prize. There were some very funny pics of the opening day of season but I didn't see them on the cache page just now.

Hey, there is still at least one very cool pic on that page!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by drat19:

I heard a story in NC of a multi-cache where the first stage was on the cache owner's front lawn, there were a few other stages, and the final stage was around 100 miles away. If the cache owner was home, he'd secretly snap your picture processing stage 1, then he'd outrun you to the final stage, and when you got there you'd find your picture in the cache. I thought that was the coolest thing!

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Cool?? Perhaps, but I have to question the mentality of someone who would place one of the stages in his front lawn and then drive 100 miles just to put a picture of you in his cache. Sounds to me like he is lonely and needs to take a step back from fantasy land and back into the real world.

On the other hand, he could just be an average guy who enjoys surprising people. Who knows which one this guy is , but after I watched the movie "One Hour Photo" with Robin Williams, I tend to lean toward the first scenario.

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by cmpalmer:

We just moved to a new house. You have to make several turns into the neighborhood to get to the front of our house, but the privacy fenced backyard faces a major road with a paved sidewalk on a wide swath of land (the sidewalk is +20' from our fence and +20' from the road -- nicely shaded and landscaped). The sidewalk is used heavily by joggers, dog walkers and bikers and actually extends down to a park in one direction and a greenway in the other. My property actually extends behind the fence some amount (I have to check to see how much), but, of course, the sidewalk and ROW area are on an easement.

I was thinking the other day that I could put a cache either on or near my fence (there is no back gate) or in the landscaping that would be accessible from the sidewalk without having to worry about people parking near my house or traipsing through my yard.

Well, *I'D* try to find it! I'll have a booth at the Hartselle craft show tomorrow!

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian - Team A.I.:

Ok, Team GPSaxophone stole my thunder about my own cache. icon_mad.gificon_razz.gif

And then he forgot about my cache. icon_wink.gif

It did slip my mind when I wrote about Brian's.

Actually, I didn't want to steal everyone's thunder, just one at a time.

Yeah, and I've got a bridge...

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by drat19:

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Cooler yet would be taking the picture at the first stage (your house), then e-mailing the digital pic to your geocaching buddy to place it in the final stage (at his / her house). If there was a log in the first stage, the pic could even be resting in the final stage in an envelope, titled "a gift for (cachers name)".

Of course, this would require two out-of-work cachers that never leave the house!

"Could be worse...could be raining"