How many paying members are there?

Trippy 1976: Thanks for your reply, but "lots" doesn't help me.

Micgn: Certainly I wasn't accusing you of anything, because I'm no longer a paying member myself. icon_wink.gif

This is me trying to keep this thread on track. Does anyone have any useful information regarding this matter.

Thanks!

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

Three. I just paid my $30 this morning.

And now I can finally snag that members only cache near my house. Woo-HOO!

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

Micgn: Certainly I wasn't accusing you of anything, because I'm no longer a paying member myself. icon_wink.gif

If I may ask... Why did you give up being a paying member?

To answer your question: I don't know and I would think that information will not be released by Groundspeak since they are a private corporation....

Which by the way if Groundspeak is going to be public... Can I get in on the IPO??

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

OT: I think I was a charter member when I first starting paying. Due to a credit card glitch, one month my Paypal payment didn't go through. I noticed a couple months later, and never took the time to correct it.

Now, to get the topic back on track. Does anyone have any idea how many paying members there are, or is any admin willing/able to release an estimate?

Thanks!

Pan

Swallow a live toad first thing in the morning, and chances are that nothing worse will happen to you for the rest of the day. - Unknown

quote:
Just posting this to see if rectum is a trigger word.

Might have become one after you posted. icon_biggrin.gif

On Topic: I, too would be interested in the numbers

quote:
15,387 paying members.
quote:
Your source please

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

Sophomoric, but hilarious.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

quote:

BrianSnat: Your source please.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

Okay. Seriously. I'm attempting to police my own thread. I would greatly appreciate it if we could try to keep it on-topic.

Does anyone have any actual information relative to my first post.

Thanks!

Pan

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I guess it isn't.

I had a Garmin AND a Magellan unit, but I rectum both. icon_frown.gif

------

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

quote:

Okay. Seriously. I'm attempting to police my own thread. I would greatly appreciate it if we could try to keep it on-topic.

Does anyone have any actual information relative to my first post.

Thanks!

Pan

Oops. Sorry.

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Pan,

Sorry for crapping on your thread (couldn't resist). To redeem myself, I offer the following:

I am a fairly anal retentive follower of the forums and I even made an effort to go back and read old posts from before the time when I joined up. To my knowledge, the number of paying members has never been "published" in the forums. Unless I'm wrong about that, you are unlikely to see any on-topic replies to your question, unless TPTB choose to share this information by posting here.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:

How many individuals are premium/charter members of Geocaching.com?

Email TPTB and ask them, if you want to know, and if they want you to know then they will tell you and you can post your own answer here.

My guess is 9, give or take a few thousand.

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

Rectum? Darned near killed 'em!

Seriously, why would the proper name for a body part cause a thread to get locked? icon_smile.gif

Back to the topic - I haven't seen it posted, but that would be an interesting STAT that could be included somewhere icon_smile.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
BrianSnat: Your source please.

I wrote down a bunch of numbers on a piece of paper and chose the one that looked right.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

ROFLMAO!!

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

Cheers to all those who have tried to post something relevant to my original question.

Jeers to those who have tried to steer my thread off topic, or have posted useless, sometimes pointless posts.

Since no one seems to have any definitive, or even estimated, ansewer, I will attempt to contact the powers that be and see if they want to enlighten us. I'll keep you informed of their reply.

Any future on-topic posts are welcome to my thread. Other posts, although I can't stop them, are not.

Thanks!

Pan

Pantalaimon,

I doubt that TPTB would want to release that data to the general public. It's between them and the IRS. There is really no benefit for the average Geocacher to know how much money the site is bringing in. Oh yes, it's about money. If you know the number of paying members, you could figure out how much money is paid per year for those memberships (using $3/mo or $30/year).

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Micqn:

Well, Jeremy, Hopefully It Is Closer To A Trillion Than Not, You and The Admins Have Done A Great Job With GC.COM And Deserve The Rewards That Come Along With Its Success.

Don't Drink And Park: Accidents Cause People.

You missed capitalizing one word... icon_wink.gif

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

For logical business reasons, I wouldn’t expect an accurate answer to your question.

Financial statements could be an open invitation to serious competition. Also, administrators who work for free to make this site as good as it is might become discontent if they feel they are being used while others profit greatly.

As long as this site is fair to those who support it and responsive to the needs of geocachers, it will thrive. Being a monopoly is one thing, but treating it as such can be dangerous. Anyone who feels overly secure in any internet business has false security.

It is the nature of the dot-com beast.

When competitors smell money, and especially if they see it in black and white, they will eventually surface. Talented programmers who geocache might jump at the chance to start a geocaching site.

One did.

It wouldn't be real hard to get an estimate if you have the time and determination.

Harvest a list of active cachers from the logs, then check their profiles for their membership status. The only real trick is coming up with a way to get a representative sample, as I'm sure you wouldn't want to try to do this for ever log in the system.

George

I am a paying member, so start counting.

I feel the fun I have received from Geocaching far exceeds the fair investment.

I can't imagine why you would want to know that anyway? Knowing how many paid members there are won't find you a cache.

Am I worried that I paid 30 bucks and geocaching is going to run off? No.

I also meant to add in reply to the "possible competition" take:

Sometimes an original idea is hard to beat. For example, Ebay...is great,,whereas Yahoo auctions are terrible. Sometimes the first to do it, is the first to have a good audience that must interact with each other to make it work. If a better auction site, say with free listings, started they would overtake ebay. But the host of the site would make no money.

Geocaching has the audience...now they need to make some money to stay afloat for the participants.

Seems pretty much like high school economics to me.

I'd also be interested in knowing, just for curiosity's sake, but I would never expect Jeremy to divulge that information to anyone but the tax man and/or investors. There'd probably be a NDA involved with the investors, too.

I have to ask - did you really expect an answer to that question??

BTW - BrianSnat and Pantalaimon - ROFL! icon_biggrin.gif

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kaz:

I can't imagine why you would want to know that anyway? Knowing how many paid members there are won't find you a cache.

Neither will posting to this thread, yet you did it. Kinda defeating your own argument, eh?

Anyway, I wanted to know for curiosity's sake. I don't have super-secret plans for the use of the information.

mikemtn: I think the number you are referring to is the number of user names registered. I think it probably includes sock puppets, team names, etc., plus, I'm pretty sure it includes paying and non-paying members. So, at least we know its not more than 46,426... if the number is accurate.

Team Kaz: Again, counting people who post on the forums will get me nowhere. Only a small percentage of cachers post to the forums, and I doubt its an accurate representation of paying members.

Crusin!: I don't know why I have you "ROFL", but thanks. I honestly didn't know whether I'd get an answer to the question. I guess I don't really see the harm, but I'm not too saavy when it comes to these financial things.

Thanks for the replies all, and for keeping it (somewhat) on topic.

Pan

If over 46k is a correct number and the about page says that over 9k posted in the last 7 days (registered members, not paying)...then I would say that at least 5k is a conservative number and probably higher than that....

Thats taken in account...sock puppets, family members, teams...etc

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Yeah, I know. Not too helpful, but really... I doubt you'll ever find out without going through the forums or profiles and counting. I don't believe it's public knowledge.

I see "lots" though. It seems like more people are than not though.

In a very unscientific survey run on the MiGO site, we found that of 96 respondants, 60% are yearly or monthly members. 21% "Plan to soon" and 17% just said "no" about memberhsip. One person was drinking at the time and answered "What's geocaching.com?"

So... if you take a non-scientific poll and apply it to the numbers here, I'd wager a guess at around 60% of users who are active enough to bother participating in polls are members.

But that's the best number I can help you find.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif