Who has the most finds?

Due to some tech problems, Dan's page is a tad off. By checking geocaching.com and looking at the Hide and Seek Page I see BruceS is at 1998 and CCCooperAgency is at 1979.

Watch your back, Bruce! I've only got 1887 to go before I catch you!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Gold Rush:

I'm just wondering who has found how many and where to find the info. Thanks to The Leprechauns for the link and No Thanks to RobertM for answering a question with a question.

Gold Rush

You're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif But you or anyone else still didn't answer my TWO questions...

Does it matter, and who's counting?

I don't see how number of finds has any purpose and why people care. Who cares if Joe Bloggs has 200+ or even 1000+ finds and I only have around 80.

I've done caches where it takes the whole day or a even a couple of days / several weekends just to do one, and I've done others where I could do 10 of them in one day.

Number of finds means nothing except to the losers who go on and on about number of finds and keep on comparing their "score" to everyone elses, like which seems to be a daily occurance here in Vancouver. Who really cares what your "score" is!? I don't.

RobertM! icon_wink.gif

1. It matters because the OP wanted to know. IF it doesn't matter to you fine, but why be a PIA about it. If you can't/won't answer the question, why post?

2. Obviously, GC.com is counting, as I can check my cache page and see how many finds I have...Dan's page referenced above counts, even breaks it down by finds in a state, or some selected cities.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

Does it matter? Who's counting anyway? icon_wink.gif

1. Does it matter? Not really. But it is one of the many fun aspects of geocaching, at least for some.

2. Who's counting? A lot of people. But once again, it's just for fun. No need to get irked about it.

There's plenty of room in the geocaching community for the cache-counters, the extreme cachers, the tech-freaks, the tech-geeks, the TNLN'ers, the puzzle-cachers, the geocoiners, the benchmarkers, the where's-george'ers, the travel-bug-fans, etc.

Just enjoy yourself.

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

Here's another curious question...of the 2 people that are fast approaching 2000 finds, I am curious to know...how long they have been caching (or maybe even who has the most cache/day ratio since they began). And also of their close to 2000 finds, how many no-finds do they have. This woulld be very interesting to know.

Also, who has the most no-finds (because the cache was actually missing, or also simply because they just couldn't find it, but is still there)

http://ca.geocities.com/rsab2100/pond.html

quote:
Also, who has the most no-finds?

That would have to be me. My cache page has an awful lot of "frownie faces". Actually, I bet it's probably either Bruce S or CCCooperAgency, simply because they've probably been on the most hunts.

BTW, Bruces has really been on a roll. Last I looked, he was a couple hundred finds behind CCCooperAgency.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:

Does it matter? Who's counting anyway? icon_wink.gif

Yes it matters. It adds some fun to the sport. If it doesn't matter to you great.

Wherever you go there you are.

I've neither said it matters, not not matter. My original question was asked with a smiley face but no one seems to have taken the question in the light it was meant. Maybe everyone's so fixated on getting their count up they didn't realize it and got all defensive about the count? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Smitherington:

But I sure am having fun anyway!!!

icon_smile.gif

And that's what it's all about. Someone who's having fun no matter what the "score" is. That's what I do.

I spent about 3+ hours yesterday finding a cache for 1 find. I had great fun and that's what it's about (or aboot as I've noticed these Canadians saying icon_wink.gif).

quote:

I've neither said it matters, not not matter. My original question was asked with a smiley face but no one seems to have taken the question in the light it was meant. Maybe everyone's so fixated on getting their count up they didn't realize it and got all defensive about the count? icon_wink.gif

But you did refer to people that count their numbers as "losers". So who is getting defensive here?

But I will try to answer you question in my view.

I am the #1 cacher on the leaderboard in Oklahoma. Why? Becasuse I like to find caches, it has nothing to do with numbers. Do I like being number one? Yea, it's kind of cool. In the past 2 months there has been a little competition going.

Treasure-finder vowed that he would catch up to me. In the mean time OKDoke has been playing both sides by going on weekend hunts with both of us. In effect passing up the guy that has held #1 since last summer. And you know what? The friendly competition has been an absolute blast.

At the OKC meeting yesterdy, treasure-finder announced that he had reached his goal. He was now #1 by one find. We all laughed and I shook his hand. In fact I am sitting on about 7 or 8 logs because I wanted him to be #1 for a day. I think he deserves it, and if that was his goal fine by me. I know that OKDoke was taking a trip today to find some more. So, I am going to sit on those logs some more so that he can be #1 for a day too if he happens to find enough.

Of the top 25 people on the leaderboard in this state I have met 22 of them. I know all but probably 2 or 3 of them by their real name. I don't think a single one of them holds any ill will towards me because I have high numbers. So my suggestion is maybe you shouldn't paint them all with such a wide brush and call them losers. If you don't know these people personally then I'd suggest meeting some of them and you might find they enjoy going on 3+ hour hikes with you just as much as getting numbers.

Fair enough answer?

beatnik

quote:
Originally posted by beatnik:

quote:

But you did refer to people that count their numbers as "losers". So who is getting defensive here?

But I will try to answer you question in my view.

I am the #1 cacher on the leaderboard in Oklahoma. Why? Becasuse I like to find caches, it has nothing to do with numbers. Do I like being number one? Yea, it's kind of cool. In the past 2 months there has been a little competition going.

Treasure-finder vowed that he would catch up to me. In the mean time OKDoke has been playing both sides by going on weekend hunts with both of us. In effect passing up the guy that has held #1 since last summer. And you know what? The friendly competition has been an absolute blast.

At the OKC meeting yesterdy, treasure-finder announced that he had reached his goal. He was now #1 by one find. We all laughed and I shook his hand. In fact I am sitting on about 7 or 8 logs because I wanted him to be #1 for a day. I think he deserves it, and if that was his goal fine by me. I know that OKDoke was taking a trip today to find some more. So, I am going to sit on those logs some more so that he can be #1 for a day too if he happens to find enough.

Of the top 25 people on the leaderboard in this state I have met 22 of them. I know all but probably 2 or 3 of them by their real name. I don't think a single one of them holds any ill will towards me because I have high numbers. So my suggestion is maybe you shouldn't paint them all with such a wide brush and call them losers. If you don't know these people personally then I'd suggest meeting some of them and you might find they enjoy going on 3+ hour hikes with you just as much as getting numbers.

Fair enough answer?

beatnik

Fair enough.

I'm not referring to people with high counts as losers. I'm referring to the people who are obssessed with their counts vs other peoples counts as losers. Maybe I just for different reasons. Each to his own. And I'm fine with that. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

quote:
...I spent about 3+ hours yesterday finding a cache for 1 find...

Hey RobertM... That is my cache you are talking abooot! Are sure you entered the latitude as North 49 and not South 49 by mistake? Remember, you do live on the top side of the world now. :-)

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. Maybe now I can get my cache count up. icon_biggrin.gif

[iMAGE]

RobertM standing on his balcony shouting "I'm on top of the World!"

[/iMAGE]

Just thought I'd say "Congrats, Bruce!" here. . . . if everything worked out, he hit 2000 today. Sorry I couldn't be there, but SOME of us have to work, y'know icon_wink.gif

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by res2100:

Also, who has the most no-finds (because the cache was actually missing, or also simply because they just couldn't find it, but is still there)

I think Kablooey probably has the most DNF's logged, with 119 of them currently. BruceS shows 42 DNFs, and CCCooper shows 67.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I didn't realize you could find "Did Not Finds" on Dan's site . . . I'll be sure to try harder to log more of my not founds from now on!

Hey Mopar! I'm one ahead of you!!! icon_razz.gif

Bret

quote:
I'm not referring to people with high counts as losers. I'm referring to the people who are obssessed with their counts vs other peoples counts as losers.

It's OK to be concerned with numbers. I know that when I reached 100, I felt a sense of accomplishment. I'm not obssessed with numbers, but once I reach certain counts, 25, 50, 100, it did give make me feel as if I accomplished something.

To me, the losers are those who are so obsessed with their counts that they fake finds, make multiple finds on the same caches or log a find because they "found the spot". The next level of losers is those geocachers who delete legit finds on their caches because they had a disagreement with the finder.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

Just thought I'd say "Congrats, Bruce!" here. . . . if everything worked out, he hit 2000 today. Sorry I couldn't be there, but SOME of us have to work, y'know icon_wink.gif

I do see the smiley, but I also know that several of the folks with big numbers (and including Bruce specifically) are gainfully employed members of society. Some travel a lot as part of their job and some don't. The common thread is that they love the sport and do it a lot.

quote:

I spent about 3+ hours yesterday finding a cache for 1 find. I had great fun and that's what it's about (or aboot as I've noticed these Canadians saying icon_wink.gif).

I spent 8 hours geocaching yesterday and then attended a geoevent for another 3 hours.

What's your point?

I probablly walked about 4 miles (easy day), saw a bunch of nice parks, picked my way through many patches of poison oak, saw a power plant that was built in 1885, found an old cemetary that practically forgot about until recenlty, waded 50ft in ankle deep water in an almost pitch black tunnel with a headlamp light on it's last legs, found a trail that I might come back to mountain bike on and then just bs'ed the night away with some new and old friends....

Oh, I also got 20 finds. Did I have less fun that you becuase you found 1 in 3 hours?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I spent 8 hours geocaching yesterday and then attended a geoevent for another 3 hours.

What's your point?

There isn't a point. It was a statement I made regarding my days caching experience. Want me to make any more statements? icon_wink.gif

I was there today to see BruceS find 1,999 and 2,000.

When he found his 1,000th we presented him with a gold ammo box. For his 2,000th we presented him with a platinum ammo box. I asked him what he expected for his 3,000th find, and he said 'Hold out until my 5,000th!'

I think a very important fact is overlooked, or not even understood.

The *psychology* of geocaching is probably better than 50% of what really happens.

If it weren't for the site (and the numbers are included in this), I think MANY (but not all) folks would either abandon the sport/hobby, or perhaps not even start.

You wouldn't geocache without this website would you? Okay, you wouldn't cache as much right?

canadazuuk

RobertM, you wouldn't be so bold if it weren't for electronic evasion techniques right? icon_biggrin.gif I'm still ahead of you I think... but you can catch up when you get some boots.

Both CCCooperAgency and BruceS found 2000 on 3/9/2003. CCCooper still leads in total caches.

Here are some stats on the two.

CCCooper  BruceS

Days caching: 653   554

Found:   2000  2000

Hidden:  189   18

----- -----

Total 2189  2018

Found per day: 3.06   3.61

Hid per day:   .29   .03

----- -----

Total per day: 3.35  3.64

===== =====

Congratulations to both.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

What's your point?

There isn't a point. It was a statement I made regarding my days caching experience. Want me to make any more statements? icon_wink.gif

I was able to gathered the fact that you were pointless, I just wondered if you realized it yourself.

Posting that you spent 3 hours on one find to show how you're 'not in it for the numbers' is very elitists.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.