Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Lostboy1966

Questions on Moving a Cache

Recommended Posts

I have a cache that I placed in a preserve a few months ago. I'm now planning some more hides in the area that will be themed to match this one.

The problem is, my new hides are on the opposite side of the park, well over a tenth-mile away.

My question is, can I relocate a cache a long distance and still keep the GC number (and logs), or do I have to Archive it and Re-Submit it as a new hide?

I'm not sure what option I would prefer yet; I'm just asking here because I'm too lazy to look up the rules. ;)

  • Surprised 2

Share this post


Link to post

You can move it up to 528 feet / 161 meters. Anything beyond that can still (possibly) be moved, but requires reviewer assistance.

 

Needless to say, your new placement, either way, needs to still comply with saturation guidelines with respect to other caches. ;)

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

My question is, can I relocate a cache a long distance and still keep the GC number (and logs), or do I have to Archive it and Re-Submit it as a new hide?

In my opinion, it would depend on the nature of the new location.  Will the hide be very similar to the original, or will it need a new description, hint, container, etc?  In other words, does the location make it a "new cache" experience?

 

Why move it?  Perhaps put new caches across the park, and also add to the series with more caches on the same side as the original?  Granted, I don't know the park or situation - how far are you  talking about?   How big is the park?

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Why move it?  Perhaps put new caches across the park, and also add to the series with more caches on the same side as the original?

Absolutely. There's nothing that says that caches in a series have to be 528ft/161m apart from each other. One of my favorite series of caches is linked by a theme, but the caches are located in various places in 2 counties.

Share this post


Link to post

If you move it that far, it's a different cache and should have a new ID and a fresh log.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, TriciaG said:

You can move it up to 528 feet / 161 meters. Anything beyond that can still (possibly) be moved, but requires reviewer assistance.

 

That's true, but there is a workaround. You can just move the cache 'n' times on the max. distance of 161 meters.

But I agree with CAVinoGal, why should you move this cache? Better leave it where it is, or just archive it if you don't want to maintain it anymore in this location.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, sernikk said:

 

That's true, but there is a workaround. You can just move the cache 'n' times on the max. distance of 161 meters.

 

I believe that this would be flagged to the reviewers.  A good way to get on the 'naughty list'.  ;-)

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I believe that this would be flagged to the reviewers. 

 

That's true. Every coordinates change has to be confirmed later on by the local reviewer, but when the change is justified and subtle you should be fine with that :ph34r:

  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, sernikk said:

 

That's true. Every coordinates change has to be confirmed later on by the local reviewer, but when the change is justified and subtle you should be fine with that :ph34r:

Or just do it the approved way.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, IceColdUK said:

I believe that this would be flagged to the reviewers.  A good way to get on the 'naughty list'.  ;-)

I'm not as sure it would be noticed, but to me, that just makes it like advising someone to shoplift: you get what you want and no one will notice, so that makes it OK. There's no good reason to try to fool the reviewer. If you want to move it further than is allowed by CO adjustment, the reviewer will move it for you. But I still say think hard about whether this is really the same cache or a new cache.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, sernikk said:

 

That's true, but there is a workaround. You can just move the cache 'n' times on the max. distance of 161 meters.:ph34r:

 

You're missing the point.

 

What you're suggesting is to do a multi-move sneakily so that it doesn't come to the attention of a reviewer.

In other words, 'game' the system so that while you're adhering to the text of the guidelines, you're violating the spirit of the guidelines.

 

Tsk, tsk. Better to do it the right way, isn't it?

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

while you're adhering to the text of the guidelines, you're violating the spirit of the guidelines.

 

Isn't that the American way? :laughing:

 

I'll go back in my box now, let's keep politics out of GeoCaching!

  • Funny 3
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Unit473L said:

 

Isn't that the American way? :laughing:

 

I'll go back in my box now, let's keep politics out of GeoCaching!

 

Hey, Back in your box, you!

 

 

But, point taken.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

I'm just asking here because I'm too lazy to look up the rules. ;)

 

Kinda surprised you got the responses you did.  :)

  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Unit473L said:

Isn't that the American way?

Only when the guidelines aren't actually appropriate for the situation where they're being applied. In this case, the CO's perfectly within his rights to move his cache to a new location, so there's no reason not to do it through the reviewer. People could use this to sneak a cache too close to another cache, but that's not the American way; that's just cheating.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

In other words, 'game' the system so that while you're adhering to the text of the guidelines, you're violating the spirit of the guidelines.

 

To be honest I'm just saying it is possible to move it and if it's not a huge change it won't be anything bad. I don't recommend doing so, I'm showing only how it's working in reality. Like a fun fact in a way ;) I see your point though and agree that we should try to do what was intended in the first place.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, sernikk said:
On 1/12/2021 at 8:29 PM, TriciaG said:

You can move it up to 528 feet / 161 meters. Anything beyond that can still (possibly) be moved, but requires reviewer assistance.

 

That's true, but there is a workaround. You can just move the cache 'n' times on the max. distance of 161 meters.

 

Yes - and if you do that, a reviewer will likely be in touch soon to archive the cache for circumventing the rule about moving a cache 528' / 161m, because they can see it. So, while it could be accomplished, I would not personally recommend it.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ha! I'm not looking to do anything shady! Still laying out new hides in the park - nothing is official yet. If I move the one I'm thinking of, I'll resubmit it. Traffic is slow enough around here that I'm sure the few that have logged would be happy with an additional :D Found It chance!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

If you want to move it move than .1 miles, just ask a reviewer to do it. You don't need to pass any moral test as to whether or not your cache is the "same experience". If it's part of a theme and it makes more sense to keep the same cache instead of creating a new one, let the reviewer know that and they will likely help you out. This has been my experience with themed caches that have become compromised and I needed to move them elsewhere in the same area but more than a tenth of a mile.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, sernikk said:

 

That's true. Every coordinates change has to be confirmed later on by the local reviewer, but when the change is justified and subtle you should be fine with that :ph34r:

 

I'm not a reviewer but that would look to me like they were gaming the system and trying to get past reviewer review.  All it would take is a message to the reviewer, explaining the situation, and as long as there were no proximity issues, they'd make the change.  

 

Work with your reviewers, not against them.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/14/2021 at 10:51 PM, Lostboy1966 said:

Ha! I'm not looking to do anything shady! Still laying out new hides in the park - nothing is official yet. If I move the one I'm thinking of, I'll resubmit it. Traffic is slow enough around here that I'm sure the few that have logged would be happy with an additional :D Found It chance!

 

If you move the cache to new coordinates, but keep the same listing (and GC code) nobody will get an additional Found It chance.  The system prevents logging a cache as found more than once.  

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

 

If you move the cache to new coordinates, but keep the same listing (and GC code) nobody will get an additional Found It chance.  The system prevents logging a cache as found more than once.  

That's what I'm thinking, NYPC. If the move is big enough, it's not fair to carry over the GC number because it's basically a new hide. If I move it , I'll re-submit.  Thanks, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...