Sign in to follow this  
Followers 7
grateful_tomato

How many caches can you find in one day?

26 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

There are a couple of trails here now, but before they were in place a few years ago it would have been very difficult to get 100+ caches in a day without driving a couple of hours away. 

I don't think driving a couple hours for a 100+ numbers run is unrealistic. The friends who found 100+ puzzle caches in a day did that. We were all in an area with pretty high cache density, but to get 100+ caches that none of them had already found, they chose a location a couple hours away. It happened to be an area with high puzzle cache density, so that's what they decided to do.

This was back before moden numbers trails, when a numbers run like this required advance work to choose the caches, plan the route, etc.

37 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It's also entirely possible that where you live isn't representative of many other places.   Cache machines may be common where you live but I've never heard of one happening anywhere in my state.   There are a couple of trails here now, but before they were in place a few years ago it would have been very difficult to get 100+ caches in a day without driving a couple of hours away.   Probably the most avid geocacher in my area once found 40 in a day (in this area).  She found many more in a day during trips out west but as incorrect to assume that it's impossible to find 100 in a day, it's equally incorrect to assume that it's easy to get 100+ in a day based on what it's like in the Northwest.  

Of course you haven't heard of a CM on your state, they are the creation of travisl and unique to the NW.  I never said it was easy to get a 100+ in day everywhere, just that it's been common in this area due to said CM's.  And many of them have been more than a "couple of hours away" for most participants(I've traveled over 5 hours to get to some).  Many places in the NW have wanted to have a CM but the density isn't great enough to support one.  I was just looking at the one where I got my high of 86 - the planned route was 118 miles long and had 110 caches (including the dinner event) on it (no power trails, no (generally) high terrain/difficulty, and shorter walks if needed).  This was less than 10% of the available caches in the area, so it takes a lot of work planning one.  They are not a "race" and are done at your pace, nor is everyone expected to get the entire route in one day (generally held on Saturday, so people can finish on Sunday if they want).  So while they are fun, they are a quirky event (the dinner afterwards is the event, the route is optional) for this area.

And, right back at you, where you live isn't representative of many other places.  Nor is Barefoot Jeff's area representative of many other places.  The cache density is different every place on earth.  I made no claims that what happens here can happen everywhere.  I simple was responding to someone who claimed it was impossible to get 100+ caches in a day without a group splitting up to log them.  While that may be true in some areas, it's not impossible everywhere.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, cerberus1 said:
18 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Cache machines may be common where you live but I've never heard of one happening anywhere in my state.   

There are a couple of trails here now, but before they were in place a few years ago it would have been very difficult to get 100+ caches in a day without driving a couple of hours away.  

IIRC, this ended in 2011 with the OCATT series and surrounding caches in the Yonkers to Croton gorge park area. 30 miles. 

I've heard of the OCATT series, and know someone that used to live in Yonkers, but wasn't aware that is was used in a Cache Machine and it's over 4 hours away from here.

From the cache page on one of the OCATT caches:  "If you are looking for a quick P&G numbers crunch like other mega-series runs, this isn't it."   

Our maximum in one day is 5 (five) caches found. Usually we do a bicycle trip and head to one(!) cache. That's it.

If you just want to push your statistics, I think you can easily just log 2000 "founds" on random caches as only a few owners will delete your log.

I don't get the point in throwing away hundreds of caches to a different spot along a highway. Are there people who do the ET highway without taking away the caches?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Aprilscherzen said:

I don't get the point in throwing away hundreds of caches to a different spot along a highway. Are there people who do the ET highway without taking away the caches?

Yes, there are people who do numbers trails without using the three cache monte.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, niraD said:

I don't think driving a couple hours for a 100+ numbers run is unrealistic. The friends who found 100+ puzzle caches in a day did that. We were all in an area with pretty high cache density, but to get 100+ caches that none of them had already found, they chose a location a couple hours away. It happened to be an area with high puzzle cache density, so that's what they decided to do.

Especially if it's a geoart or two. Those in and of themselves are enticing to complete for many people, and often end up as series of quick roadside grabs within a few blocks.

2 hours ago, Aprilscherzen said:

Are there people who do the ET highway without taking away the caches?

I wouldn't doubt it. All it takes is a scan of the logs to see if anyone explains their strategy. Most likely anyone doing the series solo, or in a 'pure' fashion would have taken MUCH much longer to complete it, if they did end up completing it at all. To many, that could be considered a challenge itself, so I'm pretty confident there are many in the series history who've attempted and completed it those ways. But I'd bet the 'fastest' completions are more common (also since many travel on vacation time to do the series and don't want to take a week or more to finish it all :P)