Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
makgonz

Distance and Bearing?

Recommended Posts

I don't understand how people are doing it this way.  And how can it be done if they don't have the coords?

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, makgonz said:

I don't understand how people are doing it this way.  And how can it be done if they don't have the coords?

 

Distance and bearing calculation is a basic function of almost every handheld GPS device. If you don't have one you can use many web and mobile tools instead.

See this example https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap64/EN-US/GUID-CEEE079F-59B6-4E74-9388-0478AF057856.html

 

Please note that "Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum" as it says in the bottom of every cache page. This means that the tool you are going to use must follow WGS84 datum to give the correct results. Here is a link to one of the well known web tool http://edwilliams.org/gccalc.htm

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, makgonz said:

I don't understand how people are doing it this way.  And how can it be done if they don't have the coords?

I was assuming that you had some sort of starting location. If this is incorrect, you’ll have to provide additional information for an unambiguous answer. This is assuming that you are not asking for help on a puzzle/mystery cache, which would be officially discouraged per the TOU. 

Share this post


Link to post

If it's urban area, I use app like GCC to calculate a projection. If it's in the woods I prefer just to use the navigator. So, if the descriptions says "go 550 meters in direction 65 degrees", I just  add 180 degrees and walk to point where my navigator says 550 meters and direction 245 degrees to the bogus/waypoint. I find it more fun that way.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

I was assuming that you had some sort of starting location. If this is incorrect, you’ll have to provide additional information for an unambiguous answer. This is assuming that you are not asking for help on a puzzle/mystery cache, which would be officially discouraged per the TOU. 

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

On that note, she also logged and found my Wherigo which was disabled because it wasn't working at the time.  It sucks because I cannot do much about it.  

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

It might be as simple as someone telling her "it's under the bench next to the fountain".  "PMO" in no way restricts caches to paying members.  Except that caches will not show up in The App, it merely makes it less convenient to hunt and log them.

 

I would not suggest starting new threads for the purpose of asking how a particular person is finding your caches.  It would be best to stick to one thread.

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

It might be as simple as someone telling her "it's under the bench next to the fountain".  "PMO" in no way restricts caches to paying members.  Except that caches will not show up in The App, it merely makes it less convenient to hunt and log them.

 

I would not suggest starting new threads for the purpose of asking how a particular person is finding your caches.  It would be best to stick to one thread.

 

Whatever it is, I just want a straight answer.  If this is true, I wanna see this done for be taught how this is done.  I find this distance and bearing quite interesting.  

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Whatever it is, I just want a straight answer.  If this is true, I wanna see this done for be taught how this is done.  I find this distance and bearing quite interesting.  

 

Type coordinates into a handheld GPS or an appropriate App.  Select "Go".  Follow the compass pointer from where you are to where the coordinates are.  That compass pointer shows "distance and bearing".

 

She either was told where it is ('the bench"), or was told the coordinates.  PMO doesn't prevent either.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

In this particular case "distance and bearing" is a phrase for getting coordinates from a friend or some other unofficial way she is not going to disclose to you. I have heard similar phrases from many players. A classic one is that they suddenly found coordinates to the cache from their GPS. :)

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Bearing is somewhat easy to figure out if you have a good idea of where your cardinal points (N, S, E, W) are.  Think of it as a 360 degree circle or like a clock face.  0/360 (or 12) is north, 90 (or 3) is east, 180 (or 6) is south, and 270 (9) is west and you fill in/average as best you can for numbers in between.  Halfway between 12 and 3 (45 degrees) is NE, halfway between 3 and 6 (135 degrees is SE), halfway between 6 and 9 (225 degrees) is SW, and halfway between 9 and 12 (315 degrees) is NW.  Then you can calculate distance rather easily and get a rather specific area to focus on.  The farther away something is, the more likely you can be farther away from your target area while the closer it is, the more likely you'll at least be close.  When you look at a list of caches, it will tell you the direction and the distance from whatever point you are starting at.  So if a player is starting at the coordinates of one cache, they'll be able to "guesstimate" where they need to go to find the next closest one, using distance and bearing.

 

As to whether or not a non-premium member can log premium caches, that's been allowed for quite some time so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Edited by coachstahly

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

On that note, she also logged and found my Wherigo which was disabled because it wasn't working at the time.  It sucks because I cannot do much about it.  

 

If they find it, they can log it, PMO or not.

 

I looked at one of your caches, and there's the requirement that "Any basic members must ask permission before logging this cache".  If you got that cache published with that restriction in place, that's super.  But if a basic member logs a find without "permission", that log is still a valid log.

 

And if at any time your cache was not PMO, anyone could have at that moment saved the cache info while basic.

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

On that note, she also logged and found my Wherigo which was disabled because it wasn't working at the time.  It sucks because I cannot do much about it.  

 

Not sure I'd believe "distance and bearing" has much to do with it if nothing to start from.   :)

If a cache was part of a series, or "power trail", it's possible to figure a pmo cache in-between two others  by that empty, cache-free area.

 - It's called battleship, and you simply measure distance between the two caches.  Odds are the pmo hide would be in the middle.

We did know of a basic kid accessing their parent's PM account for loading pmo hides.   Still used geocachingadmin to log it.

 

Edited by cerberus1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If they find it, they can log it, PMO or not.

I looked at one of your caches, and there's the requirement that "Any basic members must ask permission before logging this cache".  If you got that cache published with that restriction in place, that's super.  But if a basic member logs a find without "permission", that log is still a valid log.

And if you at any time your cache was not PMO, anyone could have at that moment saved the cache info while basic.

Yep.  :)

My area, the Reviewer wouldn't have published a cache with an ALR/restriction like that on it.

That wording would be removed if a basic member ever had their find deleted because of it,  and took their complaint to Groundspeak (to have it reinstated).

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Not sure I'd believe "distance and bearing" has much to do with it if nothing to start from.

 

When I am searching a cache the distance and the bearing to the cache are the tools I am most propable using. I don't know how others are doing but this is how I have done from the begining. :D

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, arisoft said:

 

When I am searching a cache the distance and the bearing to the cache are the tools I am most propable using. I don't know how others are doing but this is how I have done from the begining. :D

 

 

Yeah.  She is not orienteering, she's looking at the compass in the App.  It points right at the cache, "distance and bearing".  That's my guess. :cute:

Share this post


Link to post

They are probably using the search feature which shows distance and bearing to the caches in the results including PMO. From there it is just a matter of putting in different sets of coords until you find the numbers.

  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, arisoft said:

When I am searching a cache the distance and the bearing to the cache are the tools I am most propable using. I don't know how others are doing but this is how I have done from the begining. :D

 

Okay, the joke's on me, but If you're gonna be rude, how about explaining too...

When you're searching for a cache, you already have coordinates you're heading to.  A basic member wouldn't have that place to start. 

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, fendmar said:

They are probably using the search feature which shows distance and bearing to the caches in the results including PMO.

 

On the New Search page, there's a lot less shown now.  From the Old Search page, you see PM caches in the list and get distance and headings roughly pointing to the cache.  But no description nor hint.  I'd be impressed with someone who finds my cache (such as GC89W75, GC8817H,  or GC7REYN) with only that information.  A PM could do the same if he wants to.  For the extra challenge.

 

 

35 minutes ago, fendmar said:

From there it is just a matter of putting in different sets of coords until you find the numbers.

 

The what with the who now?  You mean they try coordinates until they match that rough distance and bearing on the search results?  [EDIT: OR, she adjusts her "location" until the cache is at "O"?].  Maybe get as close as possible before doing the math.  Once physically close enough, it might be obvious where the cache is, like at the base of that lone tree. B)

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

 A basic member wouldn't have that place to start. 

 

I expected that the cacher already has coordinates.  For example, the cache might not have been "PMO" until recently.  She's using the impressive-sounding "distance and bearing", but is simply looking at the compass, and walking to the cache.

 

But fendmar's example above is also a possibility.

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

We have a veteran cacher in NW Cali. and while he is "GPS'r - less" he has an innate ability to "distance and bearing" find  Tupperware hidden in the woods.

 

As I recall he graduated from the University of California at Davis at the age of 15 and proof reads calculus textbooks prior to their publication.  

 

Seems to have an excellent grasp on maps, distance, bearing etc.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

On that note, she also logged and found my Wherigo which was disabled because it wasn't working at the time.  It sucks because I cannot do much about it.  

Sorry that this issue is irritating you. Perhaps if you’d known about the backdoor method of logging PM caches, you might have found other ways to prevent people with a legitimate claim to a Find from logging your caches. Unfortunately for you, the guideline is pretty clear: sign the logbook, log a Find. 

 

Good luck on on your quest to prevent people from finding your caches. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, humboldt flier said:

We have a veteran cacher in NW Cali. and while he is "GPS'r - less" he has an innate ability to "distance and bearing" find  Tupperware hidden in the woods.

 

As I recall he graduated from the University of California at Davis at the age of 15 and proof reads calculus textbooks prior to their publication.  

 

Seems to have an excellent grasp on maps, distance, bearing etc.

 

I once cached with a guy who on-the-fly held four sets of coordinates in his head and calculated the spot where two lines formed by two pairs of coordinates intersected.  Then we drove over there and found the cache.  I can't in any way do that, but I have complementary caching abilities...  I know a place that makes a great sammich.

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

On the New Search page, there's a lot less shown now.  From the Old Search page, you see PM caches in the list and get distance and headings roughly pointing to the cache.  But no description nor hint.  I'd be impressed with someone who finds my cache (such as GC89W75, GC8817H,  or GC7REYN) with only that information.  A PM could do the same if he wants to.  For the extra challenge.

 

 

 

The what with the who now?  You mean they try coordinates until they match that rough distance and bearing on the search results?  [EDIT: OR, she adjusts her "location" until the cache is at "O"?].  Seems plausible, depending on distance.  In that case it may be good to get close as possible before doing the math.  Once close enough, it might be obvious where the cache is, like at the base of that lone tree. B)

 

Hahahahaha the funny thing is she cannot do location based wherigos.  Bht she ended up finding one of mine.  I'll admit it, according to whats been said, I can see it being easy.  It's along a short trail.  But at the same time I also challenged her to so call distance and bearing my other location based wherigos.  They ain't so easy.  There's so many other possiblities.  

 

With that being said, she also mentioned on how there's no need to set premium caches because caches are meant to be found by everyone.  But I look at it like not every cache is for everyone.  Some people hate certain type of caches and others may love them.  

 

I don't put out caches so everyone can find them.  I put out caches to be found of course, but also such as wherigos I do them to take cachers places and learn some history.  

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I looked at one of your caches, and there's the requirement that "Any basic members must ask permission before logging this cache".  If you got that cache published with that restriction in place, that's super.  But if a basic member logs a find without "permission", that log is still a valid log.

And if you at any time your cache was not PMO, anyone could have at that moment saved the cache info while basic.

Yep.  :)

My area, the Reviewer wouldn't have published a cache with an ALR/restriction like that on it.

Yeah, that's definitely a prohibited ALR.

 

The irony is that basic members cannot view the cache description, so they won't see the ALR in the first place. The only members who can see it are premium members.

  • Funny 5
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, makgonz said:

Whatever it is, I just want a straight answer.  If this is true, I wanna see this done for be taught how this is done.  I find this distance and bearing quite interesting.  

I can't speak for the basic member that you're referring to, but when I first started, I found hundreds of geocaches without a GPS device of any kind. I used Google Maps (especially the "satellite" view) and my map and compass skills. Often the online satellite images would show the cache at a recognizable landmark. But other times, the cache would be some distance away from a recognizable landmark, and I would have to find it based on the distance and bearing from that landmark.

 

Bearing is just the compass direction. North is 0° or 360°. East is 90°. South is 180°. West is 270°. And so on.

 

Distance is distance. I measured distances by pacing in a straight line in the indicated direction. I have practiced walking distances with a pace of 6ft (which is 2 steps, so each step is 3ft). That makes the math easier.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, makgonz said:

she also mentioned on how there's no need to set premium caches because caches are meant to be found by everyone.

 

Yeah, that's a fun thought, but not always practical.  If everyone finds it, it might be gone soon.  At which point, nobody finds it.

 

Some of my caches are in spots where nobody could historically keep a cache.  If it wasn't designed to be a quiet cache (one that isn't often found), there would be no cache there.  Recently I placed one and it's not even PMO.  Only 3 of mine are PMO, two of which I adopted.

 

If I want fewer finds, it's super-aggressively hidden, a longer walk from the parking lot and from the trail than most want to walk, a Mystery, and high D or T or both.  PMO and high D/T prevents it showing up in the App to bored kids at some soccer game who are loading what they thing is a new Pokey-Man App.  When I use it, PMO is just part of the plan. 

 

It's not “pissing me off” when someone finds it.  But the ones who do find it at least know the basics of Geocaching, and non-cachers won't find it by accident.

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, kunarion said:

Some of my caches are in spots where nobody could historically keep a cache.  If it wasn't designed to be a quiet cache (one that isn't often found), there would be no cache there.

I've seen that pattern in a number of nearby suburban parks. A series of short-lived caches are placed, and are then archived when they disappear. Eventually someone hides a puzzle micro-cache and that survives. So now there are a lot of puzzle micro-caches in nearby parks.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

tumblr_mxh4i2zyUn1qdsm1jo1_500.gif

tumblr_p3937xRjwE1rfza81o1_r1_500.gifv

  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, niraD said:

I've seen that pattern in a number of nearby suburban parks. A series of short-lived caches are placed, and are then archived when they disappear. Eventually someone hides a puzzle micro-cache and that survives. So now there are a lot of puzzle micro-caches in nearby parks.

 

Some of my personal accomplishments are designing caches that go right in into the fray.  One was in the middle of a popular picnic area, and out in the open.  Traditional, not even PMO.  As far as I can tell, it was never found by muggles.  So proud of myself. :)

 

Anyway, that's my challenge... making a cache that can stay there.  A friend becomes so discouraged by his cache going missing all the time, I work on a whole new design that I think might endure.  Vindication.  Oh, yeah.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I expected that the cacher already has coordinates.  For example, the cache might not have been "PMO" until recently. 

She's using the impressive-sounding "distance and bearing", but is simply looking at the compass, and walking to the cache.

But fendmar's example above is also a possibility.

 

That was my initial thought in another thread the OP started on this same subject.   :)

I thought maybe "she" might have received a temp PM from HQ, a Reviewer, or even a promotion, and during that timeframe loaded all caches they weren't able to find while basic.

Simple...

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ok help me out here.  No caches nearby and theres a nice line of trees where the cache can be hidden.  Not to mention one side of the highway is nothing but woods.  How would someone distance and bearing this?

 

 

Screenshot_20191008-140504_Geocaching.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Ok help me out here.  No caches nearby and theres a nice line of trees where the cache can be hidden.  Not to mention one side of the highway is nothing but woods.  How would someone distance and bearing this?

 

 

Screenshot_20191008-140504_Geocaching.jpg

 

She did a search that provides a list of all caches by general distance and direction, and made some calculations from that.  Or she loaded a bunch of caches while the caches were not PMO.  Or someone in her circle is PM.  In any case, if you know the coordinates of a cache and the coordinates where you're standing, then VIOLA!… you have distance and direction.  She might not have the cache description, so it could be tough unless it's a relatively big container.

 

If I had that satellite map I'd go look around that tree right where the pin is. B)

 

 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Ok help me out here.  No caches nearby and theres a nice line of trees where the cache can be hidden.  Not to mention one side of the highway is nothing but woods.  How would someone distance and bearing this?

 

 

 

 

Stop obsessing.

You're already in touch with him or her, so just ASK GLK1 what the heck she or he is talking about.

 

If they're still evasive or acting smugly superior, then they're probably just yankin' yer crank, as my uncle used to say.

 

"Pullin' your chain", "Tweaking your nose", "Messin' with your Head".

 

They probably have a second account (although the Basic account has over 10,000 finds and twenty hides!) or they're partnered up with a Premium Member and he/she's enjoying the heck out of watching you squirm, now that they've uncovered your soft spot.

 

Note that NOBODY here (and we collectively have probably seen everything) have been able to come up with anything close to a reasonable explanation for you. Doesn't that tell you something? Have you ever sat in a bar and had someone bet you that they could do something impossible?

 

That's known as "Getting Cider in your Ear", for us Broadway fans.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

Welllllll,

 

     If it were me I would start at the mid point of the southern wing of the building and amble at about 091 degrees at 000 degrees of declination. for about 200 feet and check out the tree.  If 200 feet took me to the limiting fence on I-75 I would have gone too far. and my dead reckoning guess would have been off

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know a cacher who has over 3200 finds, and doesn't have a smartphone nor a GPS. She looks at the map, and finds a cache.

On your example, I would go to the school (and if schools there are like here, I'd have to wait until after 5pm)  and park in the schoolbus pick up circle. Starting from the south end of it, I'd choose a bearing of about 94 degrees then walk about 210 feet. That should put me very close to a large tree. Easy Peasy.

 

The big question for me would be how you got a cache published in the back yard of a school.

  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder how far off the river, in the wide area of the park your Wherigo final could be? There are only a few trees to look near, unless this one is hidden in a different manner that your other geocaches. Anyone with over 10k finds has a pretty good ability to sus out a hiding place for a geocache, especially when they get a read on how someone usually hides theirs.

 

Just get over the fact that you can't prevent any member from finding and logging your hides. How they do it is up to them. How they tell the story of how they did it is also up to them. 

 

Enjoy the fact that someone is finding your hides, instead of being upset that they didn't find it the way you want them to.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

They probably have a second account (although the Basic account has over 10,000 finds and twenty hides!) or they're partnered up with a Premium Member and he/she's enjoying the heck out of watching you squirm, now that they've uncovered your soft spot.

Yep.   :)

When the other 2/3rds  (a basic member with her own, separate account) wanted to hit FTFs, she simply used "our" pm account.

 - The site allows up to five different emails, and she got notifications just like I did. 

The idea that multiple members of a family should each have separate pm accounts is silly, and probably why the site has continued to keep the "alternate" methods to log open.

When we had a couple people that created ALRs on their cache pages here, many people called them on it.  :D

I'd be kinda surprised if a Reviewer hasn't already noticed this example, with all the attention it's gotten in two threads... 

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

When we had a couple people that created ALRs on their cache pages here, many people called them on it.  :D

I'd be kinda surprised if a Reviewer hasn't already noticed this example, with all the attention it's gotten in two threads... 

 

Cool, looks like there's been a leetle cache adjustment already. :ph34r:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, K13 said:

 

 

The big question for me would be how you got a cache published in the back yard of a school.

 

The school had been closed for years.  The two buildings are abandoned.  They use to be elementary schools 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, kunarion said:

If I want fewer finds, it's super-aggressively hidden, a longer walk from the parking lot and from the trail than most want to walk, a Mystery, and high D or T or both.  PMO and high D/T prevents it showing up in the App to bored kids at some soccer game who are loading what they thing is a new Pokey-Man App.  When I use it, PMO is just part of the plan. 

 

It's not “pissing me off” when someone finds it.  But the ones who do find it at least know the basics of Geocaching, and non-cachers won't find it by accident.

 

I set a few of my early hides as PMO; a lot of effort went into the hides, and the descriptions.  I'm content with the find rate.  Lately I've set a few puzzles, on a walking trail, so park and walk to get all three.  And they are puzzles.  None are set as PMO, and they have had little activity, as I expected.

 

To avoid the muggles, and the weekend "one and done" folks, I either make stuff PMO, or create puzzles and multis that take a bit of effort to find the container and log the find.  Basic members either won't see the cache, or won't make the effort it takes to solve the puzzle, or do the multi, to log the find.  If they DO find some way to do so, great!  And bogus logs have NOT been an issue with mine so far.

 

If someone is going to the effort to seek and find one of my caches and is signing the log, and not doing anything malicious, why is that a problem?  I don't quite understand why the OP sees someone logging finds as an issue, unless they never actually visited GZ and signed the log.  But if they are doing that, they are geocaching, finding, signing, and claiming the find - what's the problem?

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, makgonz said:

Well, a cacher in my area is a basic member.  She goes cachibg by herself.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I asked her how is she doing this.  And her response is always distance and bearing.  I highly don't belive her.  And its kinda pissing me off.

 

When I was a basic member, I calculated coordinates for a few PMO caches using officially available distance and bearing, mentioned here. When you invoke the page https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=<latitude>&lng=<longitude>, you will see a list of all caches, including PMOs, with bearing visible as N, NW, E, etc and distance from coordinates given by <latitude> and <longitude>. Next I calculated a point using given bearing and a half of given distance, invoke the page once more using the calculated point coordinates and so on. It is possible to have a result 'Here' instead of bearing and distance, I am using metric units so it means the point coordinates are within 10 meters from the real ones.

 

That could be enough to start searching in the field, but not for me. When resulting page said the target cache was less than 50 meters from given coordinates, I set a few points surrounding the coordinates, read the page results for each of them and using conversion to UTM, trilateration and averages, calculated the final point. This method is not a fast one, takes a lot of computing but calculations do not need to be made all at once so it is only a matter of patience. As a basic member I found some PMO caches basing on computed coordinates.

 

Later, while being a PM, I could compare my calculated coordinates to the real ones. As I recall, the difference was less than 3 meters in each verified case.

  • Helpful 3

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, rapotek said:

 

When I was a basic member, I calculated coordinates for a few PMO caches using officially available distance and bearing, mentioned here. When you invoke the page https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?lat=<latitude>&lng=<longitude>, you will see a list of all caches, including PMOs, with bearing visible as N, NW, E, etc and distance from coordinates given by <latitude> and <longitude>. Next I calculated a point using given bearing and a half of given distance, invoke the page once more using the calculated point coordinates and so on. It is possible to have a result 'Here' instead of bearing and distance, I am using metric units so it means the point coordinates are within 10 meters from the real ones.

 

That could be enough to start searching in the field, but not for me. When resulting page said the target cache was less than 50 meters from given coordinates, I set a few points surrounding the coordinates, read the page results for each of them and using conversion to UTM, trilateration and averages, calculated the final point. This method is not a fast one, takes a lot of computing but calculations do not need to be made all at once so it is only a matter of patience. As a basic member I found some PMO caches basing on computed coordinates.

 

Later, while being a PM, I could compare my calculated coordinates to the real ones. As I recall, the difference was less than 3 meters in each verified case.

 

Wow that's quite ingenious and for anyone doing it that way I admire their/your creativity and tenacity. You would be going on the hunt with possibly fuzzy co-ordinates, little detail about the cache container, and no hint, so as far as I'm concerned if you find caches like this then you surely deserve the smiley!

 

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Re Bearing and Distance.  Image below of what the site's search function returns when a Basic member enters the coords for a NON Premium cache in the vicinity of your PMO TB hotel. Note it's bearing and distance. I wouldn't want to hunt it from this alone, but a persistent hunter probably could do it. Also, if there are TB drops, especially by you - that will help with mapping. The TB page maps the TB movements - though not with much precision.

Many Wherigo carts are easily hacked.   I just downloaded your most recent and find it to be in that category.

 

bearing and distance search BM.jpg

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Curious about this, i decided to see what refinement is possible.  So my basic account took the coords of GC7ZZG  N 43° 21.747 W 083° 52.546 

and modified them to the east ~ .4 miles  N43 21.747  W083 52.046

Entered those modified coords and now got your TB hotel as .1 south

so modified those coords to be ~.1 south  N43 21.647  W083 52.046    and now see the TB hotel as 205ft NW 

Eventually I had coords that such that the site was reporting Bearcat Blvd cache as "HERE". The  coords I was trying were out more than 50ft to the actual cache page coords, but close enough to use for sure.  Especially on a hide that's got to be small or regular.   

 

improve on location guess.jpg

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

 

"Pullin' your chain", "Tweaking your nose", "Messin' with your Head".

 

 

This is BY FAR the most likely scenario. Using the phrase "distance and bearing" is the cacher's way of telling you to mind your own business.

 

I provide PMO information to my non-PMO daughter on a regular basis when we're out caching together. If that bothers some of you then perhaps some self reflection is necessary to really understand why you're bothered by it.

 

  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, bflentje said:

I provide PMO information to my non-PMO daughter on a regular basis when we're out caching together. If that bothers some of you then perhaps some self reflection is necessary to really understand why you're bothered by it.

 

Geocaching.com specifically declares, “Cache owners decide if their geocache can be found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members.” Although I can't imagine that statement could be true, it is an official selling point for Premium Membership, and people believe the statement. It should bother people that the line is not true.

 

I'm just glad that nobody ever again must entertain complaints that “PMO is elitist because Geocaching must be free”. This thread demonstrates a bunch of ways to find PMO caches for free.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, kunarion said:

 

Geocaching.com specifically declares, “Cache owners decide if their geocache can be found by all members or if they are only accessible to Premium members.” Although I can't imagine that statement could be true, it is an official selling point for Premium Membership, and people believe the statement. It should bother people that the line is not true.

 

I'm just glad that nobody ever again must entertain complaints that “PMO is elitist because Geocaching must be free”. This thread demonstrates a bunch of ways to find PMO caches for free.

 

Finding PMO caches is that LAST reason on my list of why I personally pay for PMO.

  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...