Regular member finding and logging premium only caches

It is perfectly acceptable and is in no way a problem. Any cache can be logged online as found by any cacher who signs the physical log. Some examples of how this can be done would be caching with a group, one or more of whom are premium members. Caching with family members where one is a premium member and the others are basic members.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 4
13 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem in their area.  We currently have a cacher who is only a member, never been a premium.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I don't understand how this can be done.

WRASTRO covered  the question of how a basic member can find PMO caches. Here's one of many threads discussing how a basic member can log PMO caches:

Basic members have always been able to find and log PMO caches. The only thing they can't do is view the cache page.

26 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem in their area.  We currently have a cacher who is only a member, never been a premium.  And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I don't understand how this can be done.

Even more fun when a non PM geocacher gets FTF on your PM cache!  Absolutely allowed! 

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, makgonz said:

Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem in their area.  We currently have a cacher who is only a member, never been a premium

And she's finding and logging premium caches.  I don't understand how this can be done.

What's the problem ?   How do you know they were never a PM ?  Please explain.  Thanks.  :)

Did this person who's "only a member"  ever have a temporary premium membership ?

30-day PMs used to be handed out freely.  Now they get a week, and have to request it from Geocaching HQ . 

Not sure it's still so, but Reviewers could give one too,  that one was still for 30 days.  A Reviewer said they could just a month ago here.

- So ...  even if only a week, I could load every PMO cache in the area, and hit them off n on for the rest of the year.   :)

Most basic members here log PMO hides when caching with their family.  Can't expect every family member to have their own PM...

15 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

What's the problem ?   How do you know they were never a PM ?  Please explain.  Thanks.  :)

Did this person who's "only a member"  ever have a temporary premium membership ?

30-day PMs used to be handed out freely.  Now they get a week, and have to request it from Geocaching HQ . 

Not sure it's still so, but Reviewers could give one too,  that one was still for 30 days.  A Reviewer said they could just a month ago here.

- So ...  even if only a week, I could load every PMO cache in the area, and hit them off n on for the rest of the year.   :)

Most basic members here log PMO hides when caching with their family.  Can't expect every family member to have their own PM...

Screenshot_20191008-073346_Geocaching.jpg

24 minutes ago, makgonz said:

Screenshot_20191008-073346_Geocaching.jpg

This is a bit off topic, but I find it frustrating when people hold onto a statement made 2 decades ago. When Dave Ulmer said he would never charge for geocaching, you could fit the entire geocache list onto a floppy drive. Today, with millions of caches across the world and countless users, you now have to pay for servers and network switches, and an ISP provider and a staff to make sure it all runs. You can't do that for free.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1