Am I allowed?

MPS613

I've been Geocaching for a little over 2 years now, and to date I have 1,090 finds. I just found a very iconic geocache, and I want it to be an iconic log, meaning I want to log it as #1,100. Am I allowed to find/log 9 others, then come back and log this one? 

9 minutes ago, MPS613 said:

I've been Geocaching for a little over 2 years now, and to date I have 1,090 finds. I just found a very iconic geocache, and I want it to be an iconic log, meaning I want to log it as #1,100. Am I allowed to find/log 9 others, then come back and log this one? 

You sure can!

50 minutes ago, MPS613 said:

Sure.     :)

We know many who haven't "caught up" on logging for quite a while. 

One, almost a year ... the reason they take a pic of every cache log found/signed.

1 hour ago, MPS613 said:

I just found a very iconic geocache, and I want it to be an iconic log, meaning I want to log it as #1,100. Am I allowed to find/log 9 others, then come back and log this one? 

Perfectly fine to do that!  My son had one hidden near our home, that we found when I was close to 100 finds; it was name his 100th HIDE.  Hubby and a friend signed it the day we found it, I went out and found a few more, then came back to log it as my 100th find a few days later (it's walking distance from our house, so it wasn't hard to do).

We timestamp and number each of our finds (following the example of our son who got us involved in this!) - others are not so rigid in their record keeping, and you can log your finds in any order you want for your milestone caches.  Have fun!

4 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

As a CO I never worry about someone logging the wrong date. I only check that the log was signed. So I would say, go ahead. But I can't speak for all COs.

Date is not required for signing a logbook. Easiest way to cheat is just sign the logbook without a date.

For the OP: When you cheat, please, do not use future dates. It looks really stupid when someone waits couple of days after signing a future date and then writes the fake on-line log. You will be caught!

8 hours ago, MPS613 said:

Am I allowed to find/log 9 others, then come back and log this one? 

Only if you found the other 9 Caches on the same day.

Otherwise you are not allowed :ph34r: but you will get away with it -_-

Please don't pretend that you found a cache on day X when actually you found it weeks before (or after) especially when it is a rarely visited cache.

1 minute ago, coachstahly said:

You want a certain benchmark so go ahead and make it your benchmark find.

The point is of course that the TS knows it's not the real benchmark and that he pulled a trick to make it #1100. He'll always know it's really #1090. Whenever he sees 1100 and the name of the cache he'll remember how it became 1100. In a few years time and finding many more he may even think "why the hell was this so important to change the logging sequence?"

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, on4bam said:

The point is of course that the TS knows it's not the real benchmark and that he pulled a trick to make it #1100. He'll always know it's really #1090. Whenever he sees 1100 and the name of the cache he'll remember how it became 1100. In a few years time and finding many more he may even think "why the hell was this so important to change the logging sequence?"

The only person it's important to (right now) is the person that wants a specific cache to be a specific benchmark.  They could have arranged their caching so that it was find X (like I suspect many of us do), but they didn't.  I couldn't even tell you any of my benchmarks beyond 1000, except for one other one but I can't remember which number it was.  That being said,  it's no skin off my back and if they're happy with it, then why would it even matter to anyone else.

23 minutes ago, coachstahly said:

The only person it's important to (right now) is the person that wants a specific cache to be a specific benchmark.  They could have arranged their caching so that it was find X (like I suspect many of us do), but they didn't.  I couldn't even tell you any of my benchmarks beyond 1000, except for one other one but I can't remember which number it was.  That being said,  it's no skin off my back and if they're happy with it, then why would it even matter to anyone else.

Exactly.

I planned my 1000th, 2000th, 3000th and 4000th cache. 5000 was a nice one but it could as well been another cache that day, 6000, 7000 and 8000 were just planned to be "one of the caches during our holiday.  9000 was one of a series and not memorable. There's still time for 10000 and I'll plan carefully which one that's going to be. For now it will probably be a great multi or (unlikely) a new country or oldie (year 2000 cache). I'll settle for the nice multi though.

1 hour ago, Hynz said:

if he physically is coming back to the cache a second time everything is perfectly OK.

That's how I interpreted it, as my post indicates.  He did say:

13 hours ago, MPS613 said:

Am I allowed to find/log 9 others, then come back and log this one? 

And as others have said, if they are all found on the same day - log them in an order that puts "the" cache at #1100.  A year from now, is a difference in logging those 9 in between caches before the iconic find really going to matter, to anyone??  And to the OP, go back to that cache if you can, as #1100, and log it then.  As I did with my #100.  Have fun, whatever you do.  This is a hobby, supposed to be an enjoyable past time.  So enjoy!!

Personally, I always make sure my logs are in the order that I found them. That's just me, though. There's nothing stopping anyone from logging some finds in a different order. In fact, this probably happened quite a bit during the souvenir promotion that will end in a few days, since you had to log certain caches before other finds would count towards the promotion.

While I don't agree with the practice, there are also people who will "save" finds, where they locate the cache but wait until a more advantageous time* to come back and sign the log. Personally, if I've located the cache, I consider that I've found it in this context (I'll still sign the log, of course). That being said, if this is the way someone chooses to do things, that's their business.

*Usually, a date which will help fulfill the requirements of a challenge cache.

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

My logs are hardly ever in order, and I haven't looked for milestone caches

Yeah...

It's odd that as much as the other 2/3rds concerned herself with stats, this wasn't one.

I just looked to see what folks were looking at (I'm not the stat hound in this team :-), and the site logs them (most incorrectly) for us, with my last from 2010:)

Edited by cerberus1

I usually try to go find more (or refrain from finding) caches when I have a milestone coming up.  This past weekend I realized I was closing in at 9500, and I have a mega event coming up in our area.  So I went on a hike Sunday morning (and got some caches on the way to it) to get to 9496.  I'll get three more caches on the way to the mega.

By far the most extreme case was when I wanted to log our first find in Japan as #4000, and I had a few hundred to go.  That inspired what I consider to be a grueling weekend of power trail hunting.  I'll not be doing that again.

From time to time I have also resorted to logging finds out of order.  I don't usually like doing that, because it's just easier to keep track if I log 'em as I find 'em.  (It also helps if I need to reconstruct when I was in a particular place later on for whatever reason, like this weekend when my wife and I were trying to remember when we'd last been in Nuremberg and if it was the same weekend we visited Bamberg - it wasn't.)  But logging out of order is not unheard of.  I have a caching friend who likes to host milestone events when he rolls over a big number, and he'll routinely stop at XX999 before the event, still go out caching, and then log the other finds after the event.

Didn't really think about it until logging caches I happened to run across while shopping in a nearby city.  There was nothing special about #100 (a LPC) ... except the title: "On the way to 2 million"!  Thought it auspicious.  :)  Since then, I've tried to make the next 100 milestones fun or something I've never tried before.  Just for me.

I've seen people do all kinds of crazy things to make their stats look better. One of the silliest was the quest to log at least one cache a day to complete a 365 day challenge. I know at least one person that'd find several caches in a day but save some to log on days they didn't go caching. Didn't hurt me any but it still gave me the opportunity to give them the ole eyeroll when they bragged about completing the challenge. :rolleyes:

To the OP, you can do it the way you like. Just keep in mind that it may look funny to you later because you'd know it wasn't really your 1100th milestone. If stats are important to you, and you want them to be accurate, then you should probably just log it in the order you got it. Use this as a learning experience to plan ahead for your 1200th milestone. B)

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

I've seen people do all kinds of crazy things to make their stats look better. One of the silliest was the quest to log at least one cache a day to complete a 365 day challenge. I know at least one person that'd find several caches in a day but save some to log on days they didn't go caching. Didn't hurt me any but it still gave me the opportunity to give them the ole eyeroll when they bragged about completing the challenge. :rolleyes:

We had someone around here who was doing that--she moved away and I deleted her from my friends so I don't have to see that anymore.  She'd find dozens of caches and save them to log one a day to fill up the calendar.  I always felt that diminished my 366 day calendar, which was done honestly.  I don't know if others who were working on filling it honestly felt the same.

12 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I always felt that diminished my 366 day calendar, which was done honestly.

Geocaching teaches us a lot about human behavior. :rolleyes:

I know that many mystery cache owners are upset when they realize that many finders have not even tried to solve the mystery but they behave as they have. A difficult puzzle does not seem so difficult after one hundred extra finders which diminish the effort of players who solved the puzzle. :mad:

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, NanCycle said:

She'd find dozens of caches and save them to log one a day to fill up the calendar.  I always felt that diminished my 366 day calendar, which was done honestly.

Why should HER way of fulfilling the challenge diminish YOUR accomplishment?  You did it honestly - for YOU.  YOU know you did it!  And it is an accomplishment! Hubby and I filled our 2018 calendar, honestly, and it was a challenge, for sure!  But we did it, and we know we did it, by going out and finding a cache (sometimes more than one, depending on where we were) EVERY DAY.  We didn't always want to (bad weather, other commitments, do HAVE to do this?) but we did want to meet our personal challenge to find at least one cache every day of 2018.  That also happened to fill our calendar!  Except for Feb. 29, which we will get in 2020...

19 hours ago, NanCycle said:

We had someone around here who was doing that--she moved away and I deleted her from my friends so I don't have to see that anymore.  She'd find dozens of caches and save them to log one a day to fill up the calendar.  I always felt that diminished my 366 day calendar, which was done honestly.  I don't know if others who were working on filling it honestly felt the same.

Thought I'd add,, The person I know that did it was very open about it and didn't mind letting others know about their technique. In their mind, it was a good way for them to complete the challenge. Just like the OP here, I'm fairly certain they weren't trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes. I do have to wonder though, if they may have thought about it later and realized their technique didn't make a lot of sense.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:16 AM, MPS613 said:

What you choose to do is entirely up to you, it really doesn't matter to anyone else.

If you want to, I believe you can change your listed 'milestones' if you wish, on the old profile (which is what I use) click on 'quick view'  'statistics' then select milestones :  you can change which shows as that milestone on your profile, and lock any milestones you want to preserve.

• Upvote 1
On 8/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, MPS613 said:

of course! it doesn't matter what order you log!

6 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Don't feel too bad. You gave someone an entry to the Zombie thread forum, where really old threads are resurrected. It's ok!.sometimes those old threads are still relevant.

Too bad the new answer was bad.

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

I wish that people would log their finds in order, on the date that they found them. I also wish that people would refrain from 1000-word copy/paste logs just to keep that badge. or upload 1000 identical images to get another badge.

But even though I can not really understand why people behave this way, there's no way to stop it. Since all you're required to do is sign the log, not even to date it, a CO can not remove an online log even if it's obviously on the wrong date. Not that I think many CO's would remove logs even if the physical log is not signed at all.

The idea that no one else cares, so people should be free to fool themselves anyway they want, is not entirely true. Some people actually care about their rank on lists over longest caching streaks, caches found in a day, challenges logged and other silly things. Not to mention FTF:s, if you are free to log a find on any day then why not choose the publication date, or the day before that.

That said, to reorder your finds during a single caching day for logistical reasones feels acceptable to me. I think I even did that myself, during that Museum thing. Also to honor a great geocache and its creator by making it your 1100:th find, if it's still on the same day I would see as OK. If it can't be done on the same day then I personally would wait with finding that cache until it's time, hazardous as that may be if you're on a streak and just can't find it. But that's just me.