Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Hynz

Exit GDAK

Bummer :(

Due to a disagreement between me and Groundspeak, Groundspeak decided to revoke my API keys. Therefor I will stop with the development of GDAK, and GDAK will be removed from the play store shortly.

https://gdak.wolojoli.nl/

• Surprised 1

That is really bad news: GDAK is an excellent tool, it's given me  simple compact offline backup databases (for  more caching sites than just Groundspeak )  on an android 'phone which has quietly done its job for years now. My thanks to it's developer, and sorry they have been 'revoked'.

Technical question for anyone better equipped than me ... does GDAK work with okapi as well as the GS api ? I've not tried it, altho' I use it with GSAK .

Yet another example of GS' strange reasoning. Having a monopoly on geocaching makes them act like a school bully forgetting that users and volunteers are the reason they can exist.

Just to put this in perspective: GS demands the author of GDAK to declare how and for what he collects data from users (privacy policy). As the author claims not to collect any data there is nothing to declare and GS refuses to accept this. Maybe it's too hard for a US commercial company to understand that people write software for the good of the community without any personal gain.

A privacy policy for GDAK might just be "GDAK does not collect any user data. period" That should be enough for anybody :ph34r:

It's because of GDAK that I no longer have to carry a laptop on holiday, having my GSAK database with me, able to update caches, log via API, export to GPS (as a GSAK lite).

BTW, at 12:30 UTC, GDAK API is still working so maybe it gets sorted out, although office hours are just beginning in Seattle. In any case, with holidays still coming up, not being able to use GDAK will be a serious drawback but , who knows, HQ may come to it's senses and change their minds (not holding my breath though). :mad:

• Upvote 3

If that is indeed the dispute, it's disgusting.

OK, it looks like API access has been turned off, Refreshing the PQ list doesn't work anymore, no more import, refresh..... This sucks and as usual GS remains silent. 100000+ downloads so it should stir up things when people start noticing GDAK is crippled.

GS knows how to keep paying customers happy :mad:

I noticed last night that GDAK  was not in the list of apps that I gave authority for on the GC site.

I'm wondering if Wout would revert his decision if GC changed their opinion (or if it makes sense to take action towards GC)

46 minutes ago, kris&an said:

I'm wondering if Wout would revert his decision if GC changed their opinion (or if it makes sense to take action towards GC)

I have a hard time finding a reason why Groundspeak would deliberately cut off only GDAK from accessing the API while leaving other similar and even more popular apps continue. So especially when only getting a tight-lipped statement from Wout I guess there's a bit more to the story.

But how can we encourage Wout and GS to come to an agreement?

GDAK is such a helpful offline tool and so even without API very useful. Guess I have to investigate how to save the latest APK.

48 minutes ago, Hynz said:

So especially when only getting a tight-lipped statement from Wout.

I guess that's because of an NDA.

Does anyone meanwhile know more to the case?

7 hours ago, on4bam said:

I guess that's because of an NDA. 

Could You explain me, what the shortage NDA means? I think, I know what is meant, but...

The app is now deleted from the store and if You don't have turn off Autoupdate in the store, the import function is totally gone... Even so the online functionality for GC.com is lost, I could have imported own GPX-waypoints for myself (for an OC-database for example). And I have the right to do this, haven't I? Regardless what Groundspeak says, it is an app on my device (that I have paid for)... And it was a long time used OFFLINE app for me, before it got these online features... This offline functionality I don't want to loose.

I would have liked it, to read in the description of the app, what will happen. Just for an understanding what is going on, and will happen next. Peraps here in the forum are more user of the App, that don't want to let it disappear just like a wind...

This was what I thought it could be....

Strange to discuss this in english, when both of us are northern lights...😂

Klaas

The website is gone, I think it's over and out but if we, the users, can do something to make it come back, I'm in.

3 hours ago, Hidden Legends said:

Could You explain me, what the shortage NDA means? I think, I know what is meant, but...

NDA= Non Disclosure Agreement

As things are now I will still update caches in GSAK and copy the database to GDAK. As there's no more API access logs will be written when back home when I'm I'm away for a few days. As for our upcoming holiday I guess I'll have to use teamviewer via VPN to run my Windows PC at home and after doing what's needed export the database again to the cloud on my NAS to sync with GDAK in the holiday location. I just have to hope that internet access at our hotels and B&B's will be fast enough to do this. Second option is taking the laptop with me again which I'd rather not do.

I've tried 3 other API partner Android apps today and uninstalled all 3 already. For starters, they only work in portrait mode which I find unworkable on my tablet.

If anything can be done to keep GDAK going Wout just has to shout....

6 hours ago, on4bam said:

I've tried 3 other API partner Android apps today and uninstalled all 3 already. For starters, they only work in portrait mode which I find unworkable on my table

Have you tried GCDroid yet? Any thoughts? It does work in landscape on my tablet.

Noooo. I don't want go to totally different application 😞

On 8/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, Hynz said:

GDAK will return to the playstore as an offline app shortly

I hope it gets sorted out as i have used GDAK for yeas now. On holiday at the moment and it was all going well till I was out caching yesterday and noticed GDAK wasn't connecting. I blamed my connection at first but soon found there was more too it. Now have logs in GDAk which I can;t upload to the GC site :(

crosiing my fingers for a fix so we can use GDAK as we have done for years!

1 minute ago, DoubleRR said:

crosiing my fingers for a fix so we can use GDAK as we have done for years!

There will be no more API so no, not as we have done for years.

Logs can be exported (as geocache_visits.txt) though and imported in GSAK for easy logging.

Hmm. I've tested GCDroid today and there are some thinks I like, but also there is a lot missing. Especially option to download caches around the center of the map. I've used it a lot on GDAK.

Also I'm not sure, how to deal with multi caches 😞

I've also checked Geooh GO, but it does not support my phone 😞

On 8/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, on4bam said:

… Just to put this in perspective: GS demands the author of GDAK to declare how and for what he collects data from users (privacy policy). As the author claims not to collect any data there is nothing to declare and GS refuses to accept this. Maybe it's too hard for a US commercial company to understand that people write software for the good of the community without any personal gain. …

What? Are they idiots?

Managed (because I didn't now if the E-Mailaddress was right) to get an E-Mail through to Wout, which was immediately answered (Thanks again for that, if he reads this thread). It let me hope that we will be able to use a version of GDAK in the future, like it also can be read by 'on4bam' in the post above.

I could live with the possible fact, that the online functionality will be gone. As long as I can perhaps import waypoints (caches) with an .gpx import. This I used to import caches downloaded in the handy internet from Opencaching.de or other homepages. It was an feature before the API login appeared, worked even for me by just clickin' a link in an occuring publish E-Mail. So, hopefuly at least this will come back in an returning GDAK, but I have no information if this could be.

But the main point for me to use GDAK was and is the 'I can take everything with me'-opportunity. Caches in different databases, offline maps, offline foto support, sort possibilities, distance circles and so on. You know the features by yourselves. None of the other apps provided me with that features in a way I liked it. And so I stick to GDAK as it is now. Even, if this means to take the notebook with me on the holidays to refresh the databases.

1 hour ago, mkyral said:
On 8/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, on4bam said:

… Just to put this in perspective: GS demands the author of GDAK to declare how and for what he collects data from users (privacy policy). As the author claims not to collect any data there is nothing to declare and GS refuses to accept this. Maybe it's too hard for a US commercial company to understand that people write software for the good of the community without any personal gain. …

What? Are they idiots? 

No comment to that last sentence...and mainly, because there's nothing to disagree with. We all now the steps Groundspeak made over the last years, which made us all 'happy'... Homepage changes, challenges gone - challenges come, etc., like in the moment I have the message 'Not logged in' in the midst of the gc.com homepage provided by the own (associated) Project-GC-Plugin. It is running, I'm logged in and it does what it should do, but it says it does not, funny!

Let's see what will come next...

5 hours ago, Hidden Legends said:

like in the moment I have the message 'Not logged in' in the midst of the gc.com homepage provided by the own (associated) Project-GC-Plugin. It is running, I'm logged in and it does what it should do, but it says it does not, funny!

Let's see what will come next...

You do know that that script is made by PGC and not Groundspeak, and yes you are logged into geocaching, but not project-gc if you see thisimage.png.26a8a57f3ba1e5e6067b884de77a77dd.png

@ cghove: You quoted me right, but It seemed I was not to be able to explain in the quoted section what my problem (and it is not really a problem) is. Yes, I know we talk about two parties (or do i have to say single companies). Yes, I know this are different sources.

But, what I wanted to show with my comment is following (as written in the sentence that followed, which too can be read in your quote of my post:" It is running, I'm logged in and it does what it should do, but it says it does not, funny!" ) meaning.

So again, I try to eplain what happens here. I'm logged-in in geocaching.com with my account data. I click on the 'Not logged in' you pictured above. And in the opening page I authenticate project-gc to work together with geocaching.com to change data and so on. I go back to the geocaching.com page and the script works and does what it should do. Providing me with everything I have choosen in the menu of the script! The gc.com page is redesigned as the script should do, with all the extra content by project-gc. In the other still open slider/tab I have full access to project-gc with all the tools and statistics and so on. And now the BUT: I still get the picture You show above. Even if i open a further geocaching.com slider/tab it stills says: 'Not logged in'... That interesting anecdote is all I wanted to quote, as a funnyfact.  

We talk about a script by an developer/project that provides us with the tools and lots more we need to show we fulfilled certain challenges just for gc.com features (I support this with my paid membership on both pages, honouring this outstanding often voluntary work for all of us, those who can't do this). I know it's just a sign/button, nothing more/ nothing less. It's not relevant for the functionality what I can read there, so it seems.

The script works therefore on just that homepage, a homepage that relies in some way on the provider of the script by using the checkerconcept by the same provider. If the sign of the script says the opposite of what it is doing, can I assume that there might be a communications problem between script and homepage? And if it is just that it can't get the message through, that it works...

And isn't the fact, that there is this minimal communications problem between the two sources in some way funny? Because at the same time i as an owner of a cache have to  rely on the results of checkers (provided by many volunteers by the one) using data (provided by the other) to check if a cacher has fulfilled my challenge. Without the checker I'm not allowed to post this challenge. And what if, in this communication between the same two, one of the sources can't get another message through? This was in my mind as I wrote the quote and I found this funny. 

I hope, I could clarify what I meant, regarding my problems with the foreign language I use in the moment.

And at the end, why did I wanted to clarify it.

It just should show, when already here could be problems, what other problems could accur, if the appearence of the homepage is changed in short times and somebody has to struggle to get his script or app functionality working again. And that with earning little or nothing for doing so...

To get it together. The title of this thread is 'Exit GDAK' and if it became clear or not, i just wanted to post something that shows my hope, that the programmer of the app GDAK would still work further on this app, trying to ignore throwbacks in his work, earning perhaps little to nothing for his doings. Just for the support of the community.

And as it seems, he will do! Thank You for that, Wout!

Thanks again to Groundspeak for doing what they can to ruin geocaching. This is immensely frustrating.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:10 PM, Yellow ants said:

Thanks again to Groundspeak for doing what they can to ruin geocaching. This is immensely frustrating.

If this really is about the lack of a privacy policy, there's really not much Groundspeak can do. They have too many European users to not take GDPR as serious as they can. And having control over all their partners is a vital step in maintaining their own GDPR compliance. This is a legal issue, and not something Groundspeak do to ruin geocaching.

I suspect that there's a language barrier here as well. The app does collect personal information, so it need a privacy policy - even if all it says is that the information never leave the app.

• Helpful 4

I don't think the language is a barrier in this case... but it's gone as it was, that still is the result.

Kris

On 8/13/2019 at 6:10 AM, Yellow ants said:

Actually, it seems it is more a problem with the GDAK developer/administrator not complying with the API usage agreement. They certainly could have complied and kept GDAK going if they were so inclined. It seems they weren't.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

It's rather disappointing that the API is gone however the app is so good that I will keep on using it and just update via my gsak database when going on holidays