Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
yxza

Option to show solved mysts at corrected coordinates

Hello,

when Groundspeak introduced the display of solved mysts at corrected coordinates I was really satisfied. That was something I had been waiting for. That the displayed position returns to the non- corrected coordinates when cache is logged as found is completely OK since it keeps geoart e.g. the way it was intended. But I would like an option where I can say "show even logged mysts at corrected coordinates". It would simplify the placing of new caches since I then can see where enough space is available. In my home area there really is a lack of space. A lot of caches placed all over town and surrounding areas.

Regards

Hans/YXZA

• Upvote 7

I also agree with the idea presented in the OP.  I mentioned in the January 29th Release Notes thread that I'd like to see a toggle option for corrected vs posted coords.

Provide a toggle option for corrected coords:

• ON = caches with corrected coords show at corrected locations, with puzzle icons - all other caches show at posted coords with standard cache icons
  • OFF = all caches show at their posted coords, with standard cache icons
  • Upvote 1

@rikitan that can already be solved with tampermonkey/greasemonkey and the script "geocache circles"
a bit crude but it works

• Helpful 1

As someone who considers most geo"art" to be roughly on the level of tagging a map with a spray can, I would never turn this feature off. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

What is a "myst"?  Is it a new geocaching term?  An internet search for the term comes up empty.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, medoug said:

What is a "myst"?

Maybe means mysteries. I have never heard them called 'mysts; either. If this is the case, I prefer calling them mysteries.

Never heard of myst before. Oh well, live and learn.

Just now, IceColdUK said:

In this context, 'myst' is an abbreviation for 'Mystery caches' - the catchall type for caches that don't fit into other categories.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=277

Which, at one point were called "Mystery/Unknown", which some thought was synonymous with "Puzzle" caches.  All puzzle caches are "mystery" caches, but not all mystery caches are puzzle caches.  

12 hours ago, medoug said:

What is a "myst"?  Is it a new geocaching term?  An internet search for the term comes up empty.

"Myst" is a lyght fog...

• Funny 1

On 1/8/2019 at 2:19 AM, medoug said:

This particular abbreviation is very common here in Sweden (where the OP also lives). I don't really see it very widely used in posts by other international posters, so I guess it's quite regional. Traditional caches are called "trads" here, and multis are... well "multis". :)

But to get back to the topic, yes please to keep final coordinates, and let's have some red circles in the official app as well as the map, so we can see where we can put new caches even in city environments!

One thing about the 'new/beta' Search Map that is currently being tested, is that cache icons show up at solved coords even after being found.  So cachers can see both posted and solved by bringing up both the Browse Map and Search Map in separate browser windows/tabs.  This is similar behavior to how things worked 2+ years ago when I posted  this.  Then the puzzle piece icon was released (Aug-2017) and icons were moved to the posted location once they were found, no matter which map (Browse or Search) was used.

One thing I like about the 'new/beta' Search Map is that it's now possible to see caches at both solved and posted.

• Upvote 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, chamafox said:

But to get back to the topic, yes please to keep final coordinates, and let's have some red circles in the official app as well as the map, so we can see where we can put new caches even in city environments!

I wouldn't be in favor of this.

This is the first step on the slippery slope toward creating caches in the phone app, FURTHER lowering the bar for cache pages.

• Upvote 2