Sign in to follow this  
Followers 9
Uno Mas

Compass points wrong direction

I'm accustomed to using a compass to find caches, but recently my compass has started pointing in the opposite direction of the cache. I can watch the distance count down, but the pointer is unreliable. Mostly it points opposite of where the cache is, but sometimes it fluctuates. Anybody else have this problem and figure out how to fix it? I'm leaning toward believing it's the iPhone 7's fault, but I'm hoping someone else has figured out a fix. I have iOS 10.3.2. 

3 minutes ago, Uno Mas said:

I'm accustomed to using a compass to find caches, but recently my compass has started pointing in the opposite direction of the cache. I can watch the distance count down, but the pointer is unreliable. Mostly it points opposite of where the cache is, but sometimes it fluctuates. Anybody else have this problem and figure out how to fix it? I'm leaning toward believing it's the iPhone 7's fault, but I'm hoping someone else has figured out a fix. I have iOS 10.3.2. 

I usually use my handheld GPSr. But when I do use my iPhone, I frequently get that same behavior. But it usually only happens when I am less than 50 feet and close enough to just put it away and use my geo-senses. But I agree that it is annoying when it happens.

• Upvote 1

Mine does it even when I'm 200-300 feet, I end up using the map if I have a lot of options. 

My iPhone SE compass points in the wrong direction sometimes..  My friend has an iPhone 7 and hers points in the wrong direction at different times than mine does.  Mine is fairly reliable in the mornings and hers works better in the afternoon.  No telling when it happens, but it seems the more I cache the more it points backwards.  I've had to use the sun and pictures to determine the location of some caches because all I use is the iPhone.  I even tried shutting down the iPhone and restarting which sometimes helps.  But that trick doesn't work on my friend's phone.  It is aggravating and I wish it would work like the old program that is no longer supported.   

I have an iPhone SE, compass problems appeared about a year ago and after throwing everything at it, eventually went away. This time the symptom is more annoying and persistent. When I go into compass mode, North is always pointed at the top of the phone, and the orange arrow appears at the correct relationship to North (but not toward the cache unless I actually am facing North). Those positions are locked, rotating the phone does nothing, although the distance to cache will change. I have tried rebooting the phone, reinstalling the app, Location cycled OFF/ON, compass calibration cycled OFF/ON, cycling to and from Never Use, waving phone in a Mobius Twist. The Apple Compass that came with the phone does the same, even after going through the same troubleshooting. I downloaded Commander Compass, and it also shows North at the top of the phone when I open it. Oddly enough, however, it then acts 'compass-like', spinning to keep North in that direction, wrong though it may be. And no, I do not have in a metal case, the phone acts the same with no case.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, archsmooth said:

I have an iPhone SE, compass problems appeared about a year ago and after throwing everything at it, eventually went away. This time the symptom is more annoying and persistent. When I go into compass mode, North is always pointed at the top of the phone, and the orange arrow appears at the correct relationship to North (but not toward the cache unless I actually am facing North). Those positions are locked, rotating the phone does nothing, although the distance to cache will change. I have tried rebooting the phone, reinstalling the app, Location cycled OFF/ON, compass calibration cycled OFF/ON, cycling to and from Never Use, waving phone in a Mobius Twist. The Apple Compass that came with the phone does the same, even after going through the same troubleshooting. I downloaded Commander Compass, and it also shows North at the top of the phone when I open it. Oddly enough, however, it then acts 'compass-like', spinning to keep North in that direction, wrong though it may be. And no, I do not have in a metal case, the phone acts the same with no case.

You didn't mention actually doing the compass calibration.  Did you play the ball game? Screenshot below.

I did a quick search and found a thread with a couple more ideas:  https://origin-discussions-us.apple.com/message/30019727#message30019727

IMG_7385.jpg

Edited by kunarion

I have the same problem.  I replaced my water soaked 6S Plus (thank you lifeproof - Not) and now the compass arrow doesn't work.  The count down does, but not the compass.  Has anyone figured out what the problem is?  All other compass/GPS based apps work just fine.  But not the native geocaching app.

Same problem. It started about a year ago...really makes a good afternoon walk a pain in the rear. Does GC.com have anything to say on this?

Thanks for the reports on this issue, everyone. We've been trying to reproduce the compass problems described and so far we haven't been able to.

We have confirmed that if the iPhone compass calibration app does not have location permissions then the compass in the Geocaching app will not function correctly. To find out if that could be affecting you, please make sure the "Compass Calibration" switch turned on (see attached image). Also, please note that this is not the same as giving the standalone "Compass" app location permission.

If anyone tries this, we'd appreciate a report back here as to whether or not the Geocaching app issue is resolved for you.

IOS-272 make sure that Compass calibration is on and green.png

Hi there,

I’m having the same issue here in South Africa. Compass points one way & distance decreases in another direction. Running iPhone 8 & upgraded to premium on the Geocaching app. Distance can fluctuate wildly as well.

10 hours ago, Ben H said:

Thanks for the reports on this issue, everyone. We've been trying to reproduce the compass problems described and so far we haven't been able to.

We have confirmed that if the iPhone compass calibration app does not have location permissions then the compass in the Geocaching app will not function correctly. To find out if that could be affecting you, please make sure the "Compass Calibration" switch turned on (see attached image). Also, please note that this is not the same as giving the standalone "Compass" app location permission.

If anyone tries this, we'd appreciate a report back here as to whether or not the Geocaching app issue is resolved for you.

IOS-272 make sure that Compass calibration is on and green.png

Tried this, no difference.

Iphone 5SE     IOS 11.5

The GPS is not as accurate as it used to be.  It's obvious that the blue dot is not shoeing where I am standing.  I like the AP but it is frustrating when it hinders me when searching for caches.  It is poor when out in the open and even worse when in the woods.

I recognize that this is a GPS issue and not an issue with the AP.  Has anyone found a solution?

6 hours ago, rangercarol said:

Iphone 5SE     IOS 11.5

I’m curious which phone you have, iPhone 5s or iPhone SE?  They are very different animals. 

15 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

I’m curious which phone you have, iPhone 5s or iPhone SE?  They are very different animals. 

It also isn't clear what version of iOS they're running. Version 11.3 is still in beta testing, so I'm not sure how they could be using 11.5. They also mentioned "the blue dot", so it isn't clear if the issue is the compass or something else.

Sorry to take so long; I haven't been checking this page.  We have an Iphone 5C and a SE.  Mostly we use the SE but occasionally we use both,  We were out today, using the SE, and found that sometimes the blue dot was not where we were standing.  This usually happens after we get out of the car.  Sometime it corrects quickly and sometimes it can take 5 minutes.  Today, we found a cache because its location was shown near a distinctive landmark but the blue dot was still back at the car.

Both phones have the latest update.

Thanks

Hi, same thing here. On iphone 6 and last IOS version, my compass is often off, and I can only progress loooking the distance indicator. Same behaviour in the woods, in the streets or in the snowy mountain !

I hope that it will be fixed soon !

Same problem here.  I wouldn't say that my compass 'points in the wrong direction', mine is more like it's just frozen in a random position.

Like other users the distance still ticks down on the app, so at present i'm playing a little game of Hot/Cold to make my way to the cache if I can't line it up geographically.

It started after I recently did a bulk app update and GC app was in there too.  I've made no changes to the OS since the problems started, so the app update is the only thing I can pinpoint for my device as it was working perfectly prior.

I find if I soft reset the phone I might get one cache out of it before the screen locks and the compass freezes again after unlocking the phone.

Will update my OS shortly and see if that helps.

On 16/11/2017 at 3:52 AM, archsmooth said:

HA!

I didn't read your comment prior to posting archsmooth - Didn't think of trying the native compass, that's frozen for me too! Must be a hardware/OS thing for sure.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:51 AM, Xavier57 said:

Hi, same thing here. On iphone 6 and last IOS version, my compass is often off, and I can only progress loooking the distance indicator. Same behaviour in the woods, in the streets or in the snowy mountain !

I hope that it will be fixed soon !

4 hours ago, seven_neves said:

Same problem here.  I wouldn't say that my compass 'points in the wrong direction', mine is more like it's just frozen in a random position.

Like other users the distance still ticks down on the app, so at present i'm playing a little game of Hot/Cold to make my way to the cache if I can't line it up geographically.

It started after I recently did a bulk app update and GC app was in there too.  I've made no changes to the OS since the problems started, so the app update is the only thing I can pinpoint for my device as it was working perfectly prior.

I find if I soft reset the phone I might get one cache out of it before the screen locks and the compass freezes again after unlocking the phone.

Will update my OS shortly and see if that helps.

Have either of you tried checking the "Compass Calibration" setting I discussed in my January 9 post above? Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services --> System Services --> Compass Calibration

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ben H said:

Have either of you tried checking the "Compass Calibration" setting I discussed in my January 9 post above? Settings --> Privacy --> Location Services --> System Services --> Compass Calibration

Yep, tried that - no change.

It was on and I toggled off>on to try and push it. No luck

Edited by seven_neves

I updated my iPhone to iOS 11.3.1 and it appears to be working at present.

Will post again if it fails today

Edited by seven_neves

No good :(

it it was just the restart from the OS update that temporarily fixed it. 

Froze after the first cache again. 

Not sure what to do now other than a full reinstall....

Same problem here.  Iphone 8, latest IOS Version. My previous phone (Iphone 6) was great for geocaching. Now it's almost a crisis!