Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
MountainWoods

Which category for this?

212 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Imagine that!!! It turns out that a sufficient amount of research can get a Waymark approved. Kudos for your perseverance.

Heck Fire - now you even have the makins' of another obscure category. ;)

Keith

I would have thought that there would be an existing category for roadside curio's & oddities or known artists. I could not come up with anything on my own. I believe once that I knew exactly what I was Waymarking it was not just a stoopid sign with a religious message. I thought I had decent photos that show how big this thing is, turns out from research it 13 x 4 feet. Where it's placed was once the highway right of way that the artist called "No Man's Land" according to what I have read. This guy was kinda like Geocachers. He did not ask to place his works of art that he called "Sacred Signs". He placed them in the middle of the night and left muggle messages on them about going to Hell. Yes, this man was an artist in so many ways. But will there ever be a category here for him or others that place roadside art, I doubt it. But there should be because it is a art form by one artist.

I did find 2 other, maybe 3 groups that are interested in recording the locations of these Mays Signs. If you have ever drove through Harlan county, you will figure out why Mayes used concrete. It's bullet resistant. :D

So with Waymarking,... I'm not good at it. Telling the story of Mayes with a geocache placement and actually making an interesting visit to the site....... why do I bother fighting to have a WM published here? One of those same photos is getting quite a few views on flickr, and my only intent is to share a photo that I found interesting. Maybe I'm just sharing in the wrong group. :(

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

Edited by dreamhummie
Typo ;-)

The wikipedia Waymarking category is a natural fit.  I also have abandoned military buildings in Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins.

Edited by elyob

Yeeaaaahhh. Thank you elyob.

Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins that's an interessting category and it gives me a new icon in the grid  ;-)

10 kudos for you, grtz John.

13 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

military installations. I was stationed at Ramstein AB when Hahn closed. We were sent over to get some of the equipment for Ramstein. THat would have beem between 1990 and 1993.

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

18 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

drink a Bischoff Hefe Weissen for me next time you are down there. Or better yet, mail me a case!  :-)

There's a lot of art-related categories that I've never tried -- mainly because I'm pretty strong left brained, though I do compose music from time to time.

Is there a category into which I could submit a statue of King Kamehameha?  Or does it even warrant a Waymark?

[I am in agreement that not everything has to be Waymarked. :) ]

If it is as statue : Monarchs of the World

Oh well.  Turns out that someone had beat me to it, so I got a visit.  Actually logged a slew of visits on Oahu.  Thanks.