Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5
MountainWoods

Which category for this?

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Imagine that!!! It turns out that a sufficient amount of research can get a Waymark approved. Kudos for your perseverance.

Heck Fire - now you even have the makins' of another obscure category. ;)

Keith

 

I would have thought that there would be an existing category for roadside curio's & oddities or known artists. I could not come up with anything on my own. I believe once that I knew exactly what I was Waymarking it was not just a stoopid sign with a religious message. I thought I had decent photos that show how big this thing is, turns out from research it 13 x 4 feet. Where it's placed was once the highway right of way that the artist called "No Man's Land" according to what I have read. This guy was kinda like Geocachers. He did not ask to place his works of art that he called "Sacred Signs". He placed them in the middle of the night and left muggle messages on them about going to Hell. Yes, this man was an artist in so many ways. But will there ever be a category here for him or others that place roadside art, I doubt it. But there should be because it is a art form by one artist.

 

I did find 2 other, maybe 3 groups that are interested in recording the locations of these Mays Signs. If you have ever drove through Harlan county, you will figure out why Mayes used concrete. It's bullet resistant. :D

 

So with Waymarking,... I'm not good at it. Telling the story of Mayes with a geocache placement and actually making an interesting visit to the site....... why do I bother fighting to have a WM published here? One of those same photos is getting quite a few views on flickr, and my only intent is to share a photo that I found interesting. Maybe I'm just sharing in the wrong group. :(

Share this post


Link to post

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

Edited by dreamhummie
Typo ;-)

Share this post


Link to post

The wikipedia Waymarking category is a natural fit.  I also have abandoned military buildings in Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins.

Edited by elyob
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Yeeaaaahhh. Thank you elyob.

Unoccupied Buildings, Shacks, and Cabins that's an interessting category and it gives me a new icon in the grid  ;-)

10 kudos for you, grtz John.

Share this post


Link to post

And accepted WMWY1D  within a few minutes after posting with a funny reply:

Quote

Funny, I thought I had submitted this place myself some years ago, but probably I did it for a specific structure of the base. OK :-)

Dear Torgut I looked at the Nearest Waymarks and it wasTHE  McDonalds Hahn Airport - Hahn, Germany   WMM5BJ

:lol::D:P:)

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

Hi to all.

Behind the Airport Hahn in Germany I have found an Abandoned Air Force Site, in the past known as Hahn Air Base, but it was not a radar site so it didn't fit in that category.

Airport Hahn https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt–Hahn_Airport#Military_past

Hahn Air Base https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hahn_Air_Base

Hahn Air Base was a United States Air Force installation near Kirchberg Germany for over 40 years. The major unit was the United States Air Force's 50th Fighter Wing during most of the years it was active.

Its full of old shelters with NATO signs to hide F-16's and I found bunkers and an old look out-tower.

Any idea which category?

Thx, John.

military installations. I was stationed at Ramstein AB when Hahn closed. We were sent over to get some of the equipment for Ramstein. THat would have beem between 1990 and 1993.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, dreamhummie said:

GREAT, I will post it in Military Installations  too.

When I was on vacation in RLP last month. I stood on top of the Bismarck tower in Landstuhl, speaking a German.
He often looks with his binoculars at Airbase Ramstein and told me that there will be huge upgrades in the coming months.
Lots of big hangars for more planes and even hospitals.
Perhaps because of the threatening attitude in the world against the USA.

Grtz & Thx John.

drink a Bischoff Hefe Weissen for me next time you are down there. Or better yet, mail me a case!  :-)

Share this post


Link to post

There's a lot of art-related categories that I've never tried -- mainly because I'm pretty strong left brained, though I do compose music from time to time.

Is there a category into which I could submit a statue of King Kamehameha?  Or does it even warrant a Waymark?

[I am in agreement that not everything has to be Waymarked. :) ]

Share this post


Link to post

Hello community, first of all a little early, I wish you a happy new year for the year to come, that you find and publish full of new quality waymark as you know so well.

I recently found a lighthouse that marks the separation between the North Sea and the Channel, I have already placed in the category of lighthouses, but is there a category that marks the separation between two seas?

IMG_1027.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

thank you very much, I have already published in "Wikipedia Entries", but I'm looking for another category that really shows this exceptional point as the border between two ocean.

12 hours ago, Chickilim said:

Official Local Tourism Attractions?

http://www.cote-dopale.com/tourisme/phare-de-walde

Thank you very much, I tried, I wait for the answer

Share this post


Link to post

Lately I took a photo of this cross:

cross.thumb.jpg.868c342d7d1cdba5fb74c02648159762.jpg

The category Churchyard Crosses wants "free standing crosses" that are "NOT attached to a church", so it wouldn't qualify there.

The category Christian Crosses also wants a "free standing monument". So, any idea where I can list this one?

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Lately I took a photo of this cross:

cross.thumb.jpg.868c342d7d1cdba5fb74c02648159762.jpg

The category Churchyard Crosses wants "free standing crosses" that are "NOT attached to a church", so it wouldn't qualify there.

The category Christian Crosses also wants a "free standing monument". So, any idea where I can list this one?

statues of religious figures

 

Edited by vulture1957

Share this post


Link to post

This is an interesting Bi-Centennial Tree... probably can do it as a dedicated tree. Was wondering if there is another option.5a79c7e650ac5_aBicentennialTreePlaque(2).JPG.1d144d9f41d376b818236c16b60366e3.JPG5a79c7f825c01_aBicentennialTree(3).JPG.96fdaa02ae01427fb366d7cbc2aae9dd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

We found this "Wind Gauge" that is a Roadside Attraction, however any other ideas where this could be submitted? This was created in jest because Lethbridge is known as the windy city in Alberta. It is non functional, interesting though. 

a forum AB Lethbridge Wind Guage (17).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Alfouine said:

You could try Kinetic Sculpture and Art

Alfounine, good idea, however the ball is welded in place for safety reasons: so kids and or adults would not hop on and swing on it. 

Sounds like fun, I would have tried it.  :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post

My next "which category" question: http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMXQ9M

A concrete post with R/W stamped on it. Turned out to be a highway Right of Way marker and there's an interesting blog post from an Arkansas museum about those markers. Turns out a waymarker contacted them to find out what those markers were all about: http://shilohmuseum.org/wordpress/right-of-way/

Submitted and declined in Public Land Survey Monuments and in US Benchmarks. The latter category does accept Right-of-way markers if they are in the form of disks, but not posts such as this one.

da6dd1fd-50e1-4104-a866-23c10a6ad261.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Outcome "Wind Gauge - Lethbridge, Alberta, has been denied" 

Ginormous Everyday Objects: not tall enough

Realistic Object Sculptures:  seems more functional than an art sculpture

Approved: Roadside Attractions

Approved: Superlatives 

Edited by BK-Hunters

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

Outcome "Wind Gauge - Lethbridge, Alberta, has been denied" 

Realistic Object Sculptures:  seems more functional than an art sculpture

 

Functional?!?  Having spent plenty of time in Lethbridge, I never experienced wind that could move that thing.

Edited by elyob

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, elyob said:

Functional?!?  Having spent plenty of time in Lethbridge, I never experienced wind that could move that thing.

I agree, it was made in jest. As your probably know Lethbridge is windy, but would not want to be there if it could actually move and register the wind speed on this "Wind Gauge".  :o

 

World's Biggest Wind Gauge

Share this post


Link to post

Here are some more Henry Harrison Mayes roadside evangelism signs that he made from concrete and placed along roadsides beginning in 1940. 

They are old and odd and smell like a Waymark, but where would they fit best?

Mayes Harrogate.jpg

Mayes Gibson Station.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I think the last time you had a heart that was accepted in the "Silhouette Public Art Sculptures" category, no?

It was, and I have submitted these too. But now I question if there is a better category again. B)

Share this post


Link to post

Ok, well my second guess would be "Wayside shrines". To me, these objects are a modern variation of what the "Wayside shrines" category describes as "some sort of column or pillar ... placed by a road or pathway". If I were a fan of that category, I would also like to see these concrete signs of religion, but of course it's up to the officers to accept it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Ok, well my second guess would be "Wayside shrines". To me, these objects are a modern variation of what the "Wayside shrines" category describes as "some sort of column or pillar ... placed by a road or pathway". If I were a fan of that category, I would also like to see these concrete signs of religion, but of course it's up to the officers to accept it or not.

 

They are roadside religious art relics made by one artist and placed throughout the US. You would think Waymarking would have several categories to accept them. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Well, why not? But you shouldn't rely on me. I'm not an officer in that category and English is not my mother tongue AND I know little about these items. The category talks about "small sacred monuments". I assume that your monuments are not sacred, but I don't know it and I also don't know how strict the officers take the word "sacred". But maybe you should directly contact the leader of the according group.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just surprised that Waymarking doesn't have a category for Americana roadside art displays. But from other research, seems it's a Southern thing, regional to the South here in the US.

Does similar roadside art exist in other places?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Well, why not? But you shouldn't rely on me. I'm not an officer in that category and English is not my mother tongue AND I know little about these items. The category talks about "small sacred monuments". I assume that your monuments are not sacred, but I don't know it and I also don't know how strict the officers take the word "sacred". But maybe you should directly contact the leader of the according group.

Well, I had some unpleasant experiences with this group in the past. Their definition of wayside shrines is very, very narrow and basically only covers one specific type that is almost exclusively found in the area of the former Austrian Empire. They have one officer, though, who accepts almost everything, but this is usually going to be corrected by the other ones soon.

But the cross in your picture above fits well in the wayside cross category.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, fi67 said:

But the cross in your picture above fits well in the wayside cross category.

 

I submitted it to Christian Crosses and it was accepted. That's why I post here. I seldom waymark and I'm not very good at it.

Thanks for your answer.

Share this post


Link to post

I found a funny Cars vehicle in Alabama, and was checking to see if it fits in a category. Dead vehicles isn't a fit, but they have a link if the vehicle is turned into a piece of art (which mine is, I think). But the link doesn't provide anything helpful, so I don't know what they are referring to. Anyone know?

 

DeadVehicles.png.564a7bc0a9be5259f48a29a12700862f.png

 

 

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post

Here's the car I found (Tow Mater). Did some more checking. Maybe Art Vehicles? It's not painted, though.

 

TowMater.png.d9d6856229997d65e4607e7b3060d949.png

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I found a funny Cars vehicle in Alabama, and was checking to see if it fits in a category. Dead vehicles isn't a fit, but they have a link if the vehicle is turned into a piece of art (which mine is, I think). But the link is dead, so I don't know what they are referring to. Anyone know?

 

DeadVehicles.png.564a7bc0a9be5259f48a29a12700862f.png

 

 

Perhaps Permanent Car Displays?

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 5

×