Jump to content

Which category for this?


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Are you trying for a Lucky 7?

I don't think I'll make it to 7; I might get 4.  It was approved for Odd-Shaped Buildings, waiting on Ginormous Objects, and I have to do more research for Oldest Winery.  That's only 4.  But the process of learning categories, requirements, multiple write ups for the same place but with a different take, it's been interesting!

Link to post
15 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

But those are categories, not departments, which is what matters for a Lucky 7.

Ahhh, that means there's even less of a chance I'll find 7 different places to waymark it.  Ginormous and Superlatives are both Oddities...

Link to post
18 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry. But don't forget it doesn't have to be just one thing, like the winery. Any other close waymarks you have could potentially help. 

yes. look for Signs, do they have wi-fi (technology), history, recreation or parks, historical markers

Link to post
15 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:
35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Sorry. But don't forget it doesn't have to be just one thing, like the winery. Any other close waymarks you have could potentially help. 

yes. look for Signs, do they have wi-fi (technology), history, recreation or parks, historical markers

 

It will require another trip to gather the needed info, if it's even in the realm of possibility.  That particular winery/area is an hour drive, usually on the way to someplace else!  We pass by to pick up wine for wherever we are headed.

Link to post
On 7/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Further update on my WIne Barrel tasting room: Approved for Winery, Declined for Ginormous Objects, and suggested I try Odd Shaped Buildings.  So I made some adjustments as suggested for Ginormous and re-submitted, and also submitted for Odd-Shaped Buildings.  We'll see.... 

 

Approved in Odd-Shaped buildings, declined a second time for Ginormous with the following comments: So it's published in two categories, and I need more documentation for Superlatives if it actally would work there.  It doesn't seem that it's going to work in Ginormous.

 

[nay] A barrel with a roof is not an object, it's a house.

[nay] Again, it's just not ginormous enough in my opinion.

Link to post
11 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

 

Approved in Odd-Shaped buildings, declined a second time for Ginormous with the following comments: So it's published in two categories, and I need more documentation for Superlatives if it actally would work there.  It doesn't seem that it's going to work in Ginormous.

 

[nay] A barrel with a roof is not an object, it's a house.

[nay] Again, it's just not ginormous enough in my opinion.

the category descriptions says it should be measured in stories. I took that as meaning more than 1 story high, to be ginormous. It looks to me to be only about 1 story high. And, it is a big barrel, but it was built as a big barrel. So barrels ARE built that big.

  • Helpful 1
Link to post

Ever have your nice walk totally deflated?  I'd read about her disappearance and discovery so many years later, but this memorial at the University of Texas really drove it home.  Doesn't look like it's a go for Citizen Memorials or any of the sculpture categories, so if there's interest somewhere, holler.  I won't say "enjoy," but rather, "appreciate."

 

Untitled.thumb.jpg.925c546bf63125411c9bb1db04af65af.jpg

Link to post

When we visited Belgrade, Serbia I noticed this interesting bench, that was made to remember an old tree that is no longer there:

f8dedbf8-49a7-4332-a28c-f69a40ceb7f4.jpg

It has yet to be accepted in the Artistic Seating category. The trunk is a copy of the original trunk of the tree, but in bronze. They used the wood of the original tree too to create this bench.

Now is that also a Realistic Object Sculpture? In this case the trunk is the object, but I would rather have your opinion before trying it.

Link to post

It was declined in Artistic Seating, because "This isn't artistic enough for this category. Sorry." :( This is one of the decisions that I don't understand (especially when I look at some other "artistic" seatings in that category), but accept.

 

Now, if it isn't artistic enough for the Artistic Seating category and will not fit in the Realistic Object Sculptures category, which category should I try next?

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post
On 9/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, PISA-caching said:

The trunk is a copy of the original trunk of the tree, but in bronze. They used the wood of the original tree too to create this bench.

 

"Exact Replicas"

 

 
Quote

 

In our daily travels we often see exact replicas of known art, buildings and other structures, sometimes in full size, sometimes in miniature. The replica may be thousands of miles away from the original but sometimes, seeing an exact copy can be almost as good as the real thing.


A place to log locations of exact replicas of known or famous statues, sculptures, paintings, landmarks and structures, etc. If the items are not as well known, but are specific to or "famous" in your region, please include them as well. The replica should be permanent to its location or part of a permanent installation. The replica can be full size or a miniature version of the original. This category can include replicas of items that are located in, or are part of, a museum collection. It will not include any object that can be purchased in a store. The proper definition of replica is a copy made by the person who made the original although it is now commonly used to refer to any copy. In this case any copy will suffice as long as it is an exact copy of the original.

 

 

https://www.Waymarking.com/cat/details.aspx?f=1&guid=f59a7a20-2c6d-4b2b-8144-55c380702733&exp=True

 

 

Link to post

I also thought about Exact Replicas, but it is the replica of a tree stump and they are looking for "replicas of known art, buildings and other structures". Additionally, the "Instructions for Posting a Exact Replicas Waymark" says:

 

1. Only exact replicas of "known" or "famous" items will be accepted. The originals must be man-made and need to have some kind of history behind them.

 

So, since the tree was natural, I doubt that they will accept it there.

 

BTW, at least the infoboard of the tree was accepted: https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WM136C5 and it's my first waymark in that category. Hooray!

 

PS: Yes, Max, a very cool artistic seating, but not "artistic enough for this category". :unsure:

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, ScroogieII said:

Andreas, I take it that you haven't submitted it to Realistic Object Sculptures as yet. I would at least give that a shot before giving up. What's the worst that can happen?

 

Well, there is an example in the description of that category, that says: If the object (in my case the tree stomp) is part of a bigger sculpture (in my case the bench), it will not be accepted. I totally understand that, because it is hard to make a limit then. The only 100 % option I now see is the Wikipedia category, because there is a Wikipedia entry for the bench.

 

Edited to add: If Alfouine (who is one of the officers of the Realistic Object Sculptures category) says, that it doesn't fit in their category, I won't make him the trouble of denying it.

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

 

Well, there is an example in the description of that category, that says: If the object (in my case the tree stomp) is part of a bigger sculpture (in my case the bench), it will not be accepted. I totally understand that, because it is hard to make a limit then.

 

Yes that's the problem, and the other problem is that is a real artistic bench, sometimes you can ask officer to call for a vote if you disagree his opinion.

Link to post
15 hours ago, Alfouine said:

 

Yes that's the problem, and the other problem is that is a real artistic bench, sometimes you can ask officer to call for a vote if you disagree his opinion.

 

You mean, I could resubmit it to the Artistic Seating category and ask for a call for a vote? Well, I would get one "No" for sure and there aren't that many officers in that category. So chances are slim and I don't think that I want to waste their and my time. Besides, the bench was already accepted in the Wiki category.

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post

Another category just came to my mind: "Superlatives". Because this bench is the first (if not only) monument (in Serbia), that is commemorating a plant.

 

And what about "Dedicated Benches"? The description says "The bench must have a plaque that honors someone or something in order to qualify for this category." There is a (separate) plaque and it honors something (the old tree). I wonder what the officers think.

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post

PISA-Caching... Artistic Seating looked to me as a long shot. The idea is cool, but I see no art there. I understand both, your attempt and the officer's declination. I believe there is a shady area in Waymarking where nobody is right or wrong, and this is a good example of it :-)

 

This said, the category in which I am officer, "Best Kept Secrets", would work for that, considering its description:

 

"Do you know of some place in your town or neighborhood that is unknown to most of the locals and that you would like to share with the Waymarking community? A place with a great view, an interesting artifact, or the location of some event that is of interest to the general public. We want the visitors to exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know this was here."

 

"A Best Kept Secret is a waymark that shows off a place that most people don't know about but has enough general interest for most people to want to visit and find out more about it. These are the places we think made the very best virtual geocaches. And like virtual geocaches, visitors are expected to provide verification of their visit – usually by finding answers to question that can only be answered by visiting the site."

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
5 hours ago, Torgut said:

PISA-Caching... Artistic Seating looked to me as a long shot. The idea is cool, but I see no art there. I understand both, your attempt and the officer's declination. I believe there is a shady area in Waymarking where nobody is right or wrong, and this is a good example of it :-)

 

This said, the category in which I am officer, "Best Kept Secrets", would work for that, considering its description:

 

"Do you know of some place in your town or neighborhood that is unknown to most of the locals and that you would like to share with the Waymarking community? A place with a great view, an interesting artifact, or the location of some event that is of interest to the general public. We want the visitors to exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know this was here."

 

"A Best Kept Secret is a waymark that shows off a place that most people don't know about but has enough general interest for most people to want to visit and find out more about it. These are the places we think made the very best virtual geocaches. And like virtual geocaches, visitors are expected to provide verification of their visit – usually by finding answers to question that can only be answered by visiting the site."

 

Great idea.

Link to post
11 hours ago, Torgut said:

PISA-Caching... Artistic Seating looked to me as a long shot. The idea is cool, but I see no art there. I understand both, your attempt and the officer's declination. I believe there is a shady area in Waymarking where nobody is right or wrong, and this is a good example of it :-)

 

This said, the category in which I am officer, "Best Kept Secrets", would work for that, considering its description:

 

"Do you know of some place in your town or neighborhood that is unknown to most of the locals and that you would like to share with the Waymarking community? A place with a great view, an interesting artifact, or the location of some event that is of interest to the general public. We want the visitors to exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know this was here."

 

"A Best Kept Secret is a waymark that shows off a place that most people don't know about but has enough general interest for most people to want to visit and find out more about it. These are the places we think made the very best virtual geocaches. And like virtual geocaches, visitors are expected to provide verification of their visit – usually by finding answers to question that can only be answered by visiting the site."

 

Well, the art is, that somebody has the idea to recreate the tree stomp out of bronze metal and transform it to a bench using the rest of the wood that is still usable. Then you need someone who is able to do it. You need someone who is able to dig out the tree stomp, make a form, create a big bronze tree stomp, make it look like wood and create a bench from the rest of the wood. This is by far more art then to take a regular bench, paint 2 birds and 3 clouds on it and call it an artistic seating. Even I could do that, but I wouldn't have the idea or the know-how to create that bronze bench. And if they asked an artistic sculptor to make a monument to commemorate this old tree, who am I to say it is not art. Anyway, enough of it.

 

Your idea is great, but I'm not a local, so I am not sure, if the bench is really a secret (remember, it even has its own Wikipedia page), but we'll see. Thanks for the idea. I will think about it.

Link to post
45 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

 

Well, the art is, that somebody has the idea to recreate the tree stomp out of bronze metal and transform it to a bench using the rest of the wood that is still usable. Then you need someone who is able to do it. You need someone who is able to dig out the tree stomp, make a form, create a big bronze tree stomp, make it look like wood and create a bench from the rest of the wood. This is by far more art then to take a regular bench, paint 2 birds and 3 clouds on it and call it an artistic seating. Even I could do that, but I wouldn't have the idea or the know-how to create that bronze bench. And if they asked an artistic sculptor to make a monument to commemorate this old tree, who am I to say it is not art. Anyway, enough of it.

 

Your idea is great, but I'm not a local, so I am not sure, if the bench is really a secret (remember, it even has its own Wikipedia page), but we'll see. Thanks for the idea. I will think about it.

I really like your reasoning here. Makes a strong argument to be in some kind of art category.

Link to post

Meanwhile the bench was accepted in the category "Dedicated Benches" and I followed the advice of Alfouine, submitted it once more to the category "Artistic Seating" and asked for a vote of all the officers, to depend not just on the opinion of ONE officer who thinks it "isn't artistic enough for this category". We'll see.

UPDATE: The waymark has been accepted in the category "Artistic Seating". Thanks, Alfouine and the officer who accepted it.

Edited by PISA-caching
Link to post

I have a monument in Argentina to be waymaked but can't find a proper category for it. It's a homage to the victims of the dictatorship regime... any ideas? 

 

By the way... I remember there is a category for those machines which "coin" a medal of a specific touristic attraction but can't remember its name... anyone knows it by heart?

Link to post
4 hours ago, Torgut said:

I have a monument in Argentina to be waymarked but can't find a proper category for it. It's a homage to the victims of the dictatorship regime... any ideas? 

 

 

Political Revolutions might be made to fit, though there's certainly no guarantee of that. Beyond Civil Rights Memorials, it's the only thing I see which comes close to a fit.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
Link to post

I see no fitting in Civil Rights. I know the category and its categorization of civil rights. Race, gender, religious, etc... but nothing which can relate with these things like victims of the State. And there was no Revolution in Argentina, neither were these fellows casualties of a revolution, so I don't see it happening there either. Eventually this should be a category on its own... there are references in multiple countries to victims of the State. Most of Latin America countries, Portugal, Spain, Greece, many Arabic speaking countries and African countries.... 

Link to post
6 hours ago, Torgut said:

I see no fitting in Civil Rights. I know the category and its categorization of civil rights. Race, gender, religious, etc... but nothing which can relate with these things like victims of the State. And there was no Revolution in Argentina, neither were these fellows casualties of a revolution, so I don't see it happening there either. Eventually this should be a category on its own... there are references in multiple countries to victims of the State. Most of Latin America countries, Portugal, Spain, Greece, many Arabic speaking countries and African countries.... 

Of course it fits in Civil rights, when you fight against a dictature, it's often to have more rights, you could at least try....

Link to post
7 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Of course it fits in Civil rights, when you fight against a dictature, it's often to have more rights, you could at least try....

 

 

From the category's rules:

 

  1. The post must relate to one of the following Civil Rights:
    • Age
    • Class equality
    • Disability
    • Gender equality (women's suffrage)
    • National Origin
    • Race (the U.S. Civil Rights movement fits here)
    • Religion
    • Sexual Orientation

 

So, it doesn't fit, right?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
11 hours ago, Alfouine said:

Of course it fits in Civil rights, when you fight against a dictature, it's often to have more rights, you could at least try....

You think, you have to fight against a dictature to become a victim?

Link to post

I'm not sure in which category I should put this in.

There is a Jewish cemetery in my neighbourhood. It was used from 1904 to 1941. There are no funerals here since ca. 1945.

It is not abandoned, because there is a person taking care of the whole old complex. So it's not fitting in "abandoned cemeteries"

You can see some part of the cemetery, because of the low situated wall. But it's also not open to public. You can't enter there just like that, you would have to talk to the keeper. So i don't really think it fits into "cemeteries worldwide".

There are some graves with no names, but many of them are visible, so it's not exactly "graves of the unknown".

 

I can't fit it in any category so it would meet the standards of it, but this is an important place on the map of my small city. What do you think?

Link to post
15 hours ago, Alfouine said:
17 hours ago, fi67 said:

You think, you have to fight against a dictature to become a victim?

I do not understand

 

Fighting for a Civil Right is an activity, that may be honored with a memorial.

 

Of course, those activists will be fought and suppressed in a dictatorship. But also their friends and families and countless other people that just happen to be in at the wrong place at the wrong time. Or for owning that plot on the lake, that the nephew of the general would like to have e.g. Or belonging to the wrong minority (even without fighting for a change).

 

A memorial for victims of a dictatorship has absolutely no connection to any civil rights movement, unless the memorial explitly states that they are victims because of one of the reasons that category is dedicated to.

 

  • Helpful 1
Link to post

"The Grutten Hut (German: Gruttenhütte) is an Alpine club hut at a height of 1620 metres in the Kaisergebirge in Tyrol in Austria. It is owned by the Turner Alps Kränzchen Section of the German Alpine Club." Wikipedia Grutten Hut - Wikipedia

 

Lodge-Style Accommodations - A Waymarking.com Category

Chalet, Cottage, and Cabin Style Lodging - A Waymarking.com Category

Remote Backcountry Shelters - A Waymarking.com Category

- ...

Not 100% sure where to put a normal alpine hut. Thanks for your help.

ghwk1.jpg

Link to post
3 hours ago, lumbricus said:

"The Grutten Hut (German: Gruttenhütte) is an Alpine club hut at a height of 1620 metres in the Kaisergebirge in Tyrol in Austria. It is owned by the Turner Alps Kränzchen Section of the German Alpine Club." Wikipedia Grutten Hut - Wikipedia

 

Lodge-Style Accommodations - A Waymarking.com Category

Chalet, Cottage, and Cabin Style Lodging - A Waymarking.com Category

Remote Backcountry Shelters - A Waymarking.com Category

- ...

Not 100% sure where to put a normal alpine hut. Thanks for your help.

ghwk1.jpg

 

There is a category for places mentioned in Wikipedia

Link to post

Thanks Bear and Ragged but I try to waymark things in their best fitting categories and I avoid cross postings at the moment (too little time). That's why I asked, I found huts in all of the three mentioned categories above.

Edited by lumbricus
typo
Link to post
On 12/7/2020 at 8:25 PM, lumbricus said:

 

Remote Backcountry Shelters is the best fit. It already has some entries of this type, although the majority is totally different. It has a large bandwith.

 

I am not an officer in any of those categories, but if I was, I would deny a submission in the Chalet... category and unhappily but still accept in the Lodge-Style category.

 

Hostels would also kinda fit.

 

Link to post

I recently run into this kind of memorial:

obraz.thumb.png.6334d7c6ff1088449501c995e2b3c596.png

 

which was placed on the 100th anniversary of regaining independence by Poland.

Is there currently any category where this would fit? I'm surprised that there is a category like "spirit of '76" dedicated only for the USA (specific and not global), but there is nothing about independence overall.

Edited by sernikk
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...