What's going on?

Roman!

Has anyone reported the account name to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center? They usually take care of these issues quite quickly.

With the pace of new account creations, there is no screening applied by human eyes. And, an automated solution can prove frustrating, like if you're Ulf Uckinger from Sweden.

Has anyone reported the account name to Geocaching HQ via the Help Center? They usually take care of these issues quite quickly.

With the pace of new account creations, there is no screening applied by human eyes. And, an automated solution can prove frustrating, like if you're Ulf Uckinger from Sweden.

Good post but also hilarious!

Good post but also hilarious!

There was a UK forum, that wouldn't let users from a certain town register with their address.

The place name was Scunthorpe.

(because it includes a slang term for a female part of the body)

I just did and this is the cache: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2PFF9_gussies-rambles?guid=d556df44-4bd4-4488-8b8e-59760c75ade3

It's the new generation... Way back in 2008 they went out in the woods and stole the cache, now they sit in front of the screen and create stupid logs. Delete the logs and move on.... it is much easier than replacing a cache.

Well that does bring up and interesting question. GS is pretty tough on CO's that delete logs that are legitimate logs. If ponie**** actually found the cache and signed the log and then had their log deleted would GS side with ponie#### and reinstate the log and give the CO a site wide ban while invalidating the CO's email and disabling all their caches? Or would GS side with the CO and ban and lock poini####'s account because it is inappropriate? Interesting ethical conundrum.

ROFL. Made my morning!

I have to say, I do kind of wish we could "report" or "flag" log entries...kind of like reporting a post in the forums. With logs it could be for inappropriate language, spoilers or just duplicate logs. There are so many COs that don't bother deleting logs and it annoys me to see that stuff go unchecked.

I have to say, I do kind of wish we could "report" or "flag" log entries...kind of like reporting a post in the forums. With logs it could be for inappropriate language, spoilers or just duplicate logs. There are so many COs that don't bother deleting logs and it annoys me to see that stuff go unchecked.

You can "report" most of these problems by emailing the owner (or taking them aside at an event cache to educate them on their ability to delete logs, spoiler photos, etc.).

Geocaching HQ only has time to deal with Terms of Use violations, like this user's account name.

I would expect that, once Geocaching HQ reaches an understanding with the user about a more appropriate account name, any deleted logs could either be restored or re-logged.

PonnieF*** and the other cachers on the screenshot don't show up on a search for Find Another Player...

Is it because they registered by phone, and/or haven't Validated their account?

Not a validated member.

The way to search for them is by typing in the URL :

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?u=USERNAME

If username contains a space, use the "+" character.

You can "report" most of these problems by emailing the owner (or taking them aside at an event cache to educate them on their ability to delete logs, spoiler photos, etc.).

Doesn't do a bit of good if the owner doesn't give a flip or isn't even "in the game" anymore or doesn't see or respond to emails (**coughvirtualcacheownerscoughcough**).

Geocaching HQ only has time to deal with Terms of Use violations, like this user's account name.

I would expect that, once Geocaching HQ reaches an understanding with the user about a more appropriate account name, any deleted logs could either be restored or re-logged.

Does a CO have the right to delete a legitimate found it log just because the user name is offensive and if so who defines offensive, I could see this being severely abused.

Warning, do not click these links if you have profane sensitivities..

Czech cacher

Greetings from ...

Germany

Austrian cache

Here's one Roman! can go after:

Canada!

The Austrian one and canadian one I can almost see being published, the others not so much. When I named my cache "this cache sucks" (it was a full-sized toy vacuumed tied to a tree) I got an email from my reviewer suggesting I change the cache name as it is not kid friendly. After sending a picture and describing the cache it was published.

I am far from a sensitive person but I do not believe there is a place for the word "F***" on geocaching . Com

Edited by Roman!

Does a CO have the right to delete a legitimate found it log just because the user name is offensive and if so who defines offensive, I could see this being severely abused.

The guidelines tell cache owners to delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. Of course there may be disputes about what is bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. The help center article on deleting logs includes the following

Obscene and threatening language is a violation of our Terms of Use. The log can be deleted immediately. It may be better not to respond the log owner directly. If you wish, let Groundspeak know by submitting a request for assistance or by visiting www.geocaching.com/help.

The guidelines tell cache owners to delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. Of course there may be disputes about what is bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or otherwise inappropriate. The help center article on deleting logs includes the following

Obscene and threatening language is a violation of our Terms of Use. The log can be deleted immediately. It may be better not to respond the log owner directly. If you wish, let Groundspeak know by submitting a request for assistance or by visiting www.geocaching.com/help.

But it's not the log that's the problem, it's the username that was "approved" (I use this word very loosely) by GS.

Also if you do have an automated filter and it does reject someone with an innocent name, like Mr Uckinger above, you're just going to end up with some juvenile who realises why an innocent name was censored and then experiments with what is permissible before the censor activates.

I just typed in F--- into find a player and 20 usernames came up, not one any where near as acceptable as Mr. Uckinger.

Wouldn't it be easier to implement the filter and on the off chance some username gets denied but shouldn't have been then they can appeal.

I just typed in F--- into find a player and 20 usernames came up, not one any where near as acceptable as Mr. Uckinger.

Wouldn't it be easier to implement the filter and on the off chance some username gets denied but shouldn't have been then they can appeal.

Do you have any idea what that would do the 9,000 new accounts we get each day? I'm sure of the names have to go through a purity test the number would drop dramatically. And then where would be be in being able to claim 9,000,000 users worldwide?

Do you have any idea what that would do the 9,000 new accounts we get each day? I'm sure of the names have to go through a purity test the number would drop dramatically. And then where would be be in being able to claim 9,000,000 users worldwide?

Nothing like meaningless stats :laughing:

I'd rather block the odd legit username than allow one that suggests the illegal abuse of animals get through.

Edited by Roman!

I say yes. If we can delete logs because there's offensive stuff in the logs, why delete because of the name? It is technically part of the log, after all you can't have a log unless someone posts it, and their name appears.

Honestly, I'd delete all of them except the one who mentioned using a phone to find it. After all none of the other logs say anything about finding a cache. I call upon the whole "cache page is not a forum"

rule. Anything not relating to finding/not finding/whatever that particular log is, is best left in the forums, or not said at all. Such as hi.

Honestly, I'd delete all of them except the one who mentioned using a phone to find it. After all none of the other logs say anything about finding a cache.

I'm not convinced that any actual caches were found at all. I think it could be that they were only "found" on the phone.

@Roman! Have you or any of the COs checked any of the caches to see if any logs were signed?

The correct thing would be to contact Groundspeak and have them change the username if its a valid find log. Deleting does not solve the problem and would only annoy them, plus they did find it. If you are not very nice about it, someone with a name like that may likely turn into a cache theif rather quickly.

Honestly, I'd delete all of them except the one who mentioned using a phone to find it. After all none of the other logs say anything about finding a cache.

I'm not convinced that any actual caches were found at all. I think it could be that they were only "found" on the phone.

@Roman! Have you or any of the COs checked any of the caches to see if any logs were signed?

No I haven't and I actually drove by the cache today, I'll probably drive by tomorrow so i will take a look any let the CO know if I don't find the signatures. Honestly I was surprised the name can be accepted in the first place.

The correct thing would be to contact Groundspeak and have them change the username if its a valid find log. Deleting does not solve the problem and would only annoy them, plus they did find it. If you are not very nice about it, someone with a name like that may likely turn into a cache theif rather quickly.

I did send an email to GS about the user name.

Like they would notice in a Bajillion years that their log was deleted. I think I'll start deleting all 2 word or less find logs posted to my caches (not that I get very many), and I'll bet I get away with it 100% of the time. :ph34r: Pretty much they think they're playing Angry Birds or something, and have no clue there's an established in 2000 website associated with it, or players just like them placed it there for them to find. :huh:

Ha, ha, one of the finders posting a find on a nearby cache, the note is from the CO.

Write note Write note 06/11/2014

If you found it, why are you asking if it was a pill bottle?

roman buset

Caches Found7

Found it Found it 06/10/2014

Was it a pill bottle?

On second thought, I don't want to turn into the cache police and ponie----- found 2 other nearby caches. I don't think its a matter of deleting logs, the username needs to be changed and banned.

Years ago, I ran across a username similar. It was "fa" or "fu" followed by a space then "Q". I can't remember the exact spelling and format, but you get the gist. I reported it to GS, who informed me that there was nothing wrong with that username.

You find frequently asked questions offensive?

I recall another forum where people were bragging about how they got DMV to issue them offensive license plates. Beyond the obvious stuff, all you can do is shrug and hope that karma really is a female dog.

Like they would notice in a Bajillion years that their log was deleted. I think I'll start deleting all 2 word or less find logs posted to my caches (not that I get very many), and I'll bet I get away with it 100% of the time. :ph34r: Pretty much they think they're playing Angry Birds or something, and have no clue there's an established in 2000 website associated with it, or players just like them placed it there for them to find. :huh:

... so the game of geocaching becomes a battle between those who log from their armchair based on a calculation of whether the cache owner will notice, and those who delete logs based on a calculation of whether the logger will notice.

... so the game of geocaching becomes a battle between those who log from their armchair based on a calculation of whether the cache owner will notice, and those who delete logs based on a calculation of whether the logger will notice.

Oh c'mon, I was obviously kidding. These are intro app users, and very likely teenagers. The level of cluelessness is astounding, with people just "downloading another app on their phone". It used to be people who tried Geocaching had some idea of it's basic premise. I'm becoming more and more anti-intro app every day.

Years ago, I ran across a username similar. It was "fa" or "fu" followed by a space then "Q". I can't remember the exact spelling and format, but you get the gist. I reported it to GS, who informed me that there was nothing wrong with that username.

You find frequently asked questions offensive?

I recall another forum where people were bragging about how they got DMV to issue them offensive license plates. Beyond the obvious stuff, all you can do is shrug and hope that karma really is a female dog.

There was a semi frequent poster in these forums awhile back that had a similar name. I don't recall anyone giving him flack about it openly. Maybe that person is still around and they changed their name.

I had a friend from Austin that was a hockey fanatic. He chose the name PuckOff. The select members of the uptight, crunchy granola community at that time (03) pressured him into changing it.

Personally, I don't get people's reactions to certain words that aren't hate speech. They are just words.

The etymology of the word in question is puritanical. The powers that be in those fun times would punish people in a public shaming ritual that sometimes involved stocks or other restraint measures so the public could jeer at them. The label that they put on the offenders was "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," but it was often shortened to an acronym. I chuckle at the puritanical revulsion to that word that still lingers today.

That said, I tryyy not to use it in front of my 6yo son, but the occasional f-bomb sometimes is the only way to accurately describe my feelings about something. Those that have me on their FB feed know that once in awhile I will drop one.

I work in a testosterone fueled corner of my company. It's about 85% male. Corporate security, investigation unit, and middle management corporate stooges like me. Full on 70% are former Law Enforcement. I couldn't count how many times an f-bomb wafts into my office in a given week. I has never bothered me and surprisingly no one else has complained. Probably because the atmosphere is cooperative, upbeat, and friendly.

Many might think me calloused, but that's their issue. I refuse to be provoked by a so called curse word.

Edited by Snoogans

The etymology of the word in question is puritanical. The powers that be in those fun times would punish people in a public shaming ritual that sometimes involved stocks or other restraint measures so the public could jeer at them. The label that they put on the offenders was "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge," but it was often shortened to an acronym. I chuckle at the puritanical revulsion to that word that still lingers today.

Two sources that refute this:

Source 1

Source 2

Yes, EXACTLY 20 come up. That all begin with F**K. Some pretty nasty ones in there too. But with the always has been less than optimal "find another player" lookup, that's all you're going to get. Now if the "find another player" lookup was, as I've always personally maintained, a useful search of the user table that allowed wildcards, you could find ones with f**k in the middle, or on the end, such as Ponie boy here. And what's up with that anyways? Isn't it Pony? Is Ponie a Canadian thing? :P

Not that I'm advocating the useful search including wildcards in this particular case for forum people to be the Geocaching Police, but in general for a more useful find another player function.