Older Cachers

I haven't read all the responses.... but wait....

How old are you???

When you get older.....aka OLD, Over-the-hill, Senile, Senior.... You'll understand. It's NOT about the contents of the cache (or the container). It's all about the trip & hunt.

You've only found 2 caches??????????????? Oh heck...you're just starting. You have NO CLUE what the hobby is about yet!!

Cache on!!

I've just had my 40th Birthday, so, I suppose I'm headed down the other side of the metaphorical hill-of-life, but not quite old yet :)

I know how quick it rips by though, and I remember scoffing at my grandmother about getting old one day, "silly old woman that's so far away, it's never gunna happen!" But Grandma was right, a decade slips by in a bink!

Anyway, i have gone out looking for more caches but didn't find any of em. It's hard to know how many are just really well hidden, and how many have been ripped off or taken. They *are* suburban caches, after all.

40, Heck your still climbing that hill.

Edited by Heli Leo

With the average lifespan for males somewhere near 73, middle aged is really close to 36-1/2 years. If you are past 37, you are one of us older folk. Get past your ego and whipper-snapper attitude and relish in your OLD AGE. As someone (Satchel Paige, I believe) said - Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Look at the 'Pocket Rocket' back packing stove. Also LifeStraw water purifier.

With the average lifespan for males somewhere near 73, middle aged is really close to 36-1/2 years. If you are past 37, you are one of us older folk. Get past your ego and whipper-snapper attitude and relish in your OLD AGE. As someone (Satchel Paige, I believe) said - Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it don't matter.

Look at the 'Pocket Rocket' back packing stove. Also LifeStraw water purifier.

I don't *feel* like a whipper-snapper, I feel like I've got about 1/3rd of a life left before death smites me down! Why else would I wanna walk into the woods with a backpack and a bag of food. Too crazy a plan for a whipper-snapper to wanna plan.

Edited by Psychaesthetic

[snicker] Welcome to the quirky world of the GC forum software. Most people edit the extra posts down to a one-liner about oops, double post. When it happens to me some day, I hope I can think of something funny, or at least snarky.

Yeah I reduced it to just a few periods, but it still just looks like spam :(

Actually, I don't see anywhere to change my forum pic to my lovely mynxy she-wolf. i've looked right through the profile settings but still can't find it there?

The main-site profile pocs uploaded without hastle, so what do I have to do get 200 caches before I can change my forum avatar or what? :mad:

If you can figure out how to change your forum avatar, you automatically get upgraded to Platinum membership. :ph34r:

Actually, I don't see anywhere to change my forum pic to my lovely mynxy she-wolf. i've looked right through the profile settings but still can't find it there?

The main-site profile pocs uploaded without hastle, so what do I have to do get 200 caches before I can change my forum avatar or what? :mad:

If you can figure out how to change your forum avatar, you automatically get upgraded to Platinum membership. :ph34r:

Ohhh I see, so it's an "us" and "them" kinda deal. A secret/elitest group of *spesh* members. Wait! The avatar is only for the Free-Masons on the forums?

Guess I will just have to be doomed to the mediocrity of having a default avatar, forever :lostsignal:

Edited by Psychaesthetic

I've looked around and replied to a few posts, and clicking on a few profiles I've found many of the cachers are 60+ or thereabouts, and thought, "that's a bit straaaange. That someone that age would be out searching for caches filled with Broken McDonalds toys. Surely they'd rather be out on their boats, wearing their hideous brightly coloured tropical shirts, and sipping pina coladas in some bar in Florida or something?

Why would older people want to spend their time hunting little plastic containers full of kids toys?

Mr. Cat here from the Colonial Cats. We retired to Florida last year but have been geocaching for 7 years. Age does not change how one reacts to the trill of the hunt. Sure most caches we find nowadays are either filled with cheap broken toys or are micro caches with only room for a log. However, making the find without being caught by muggles is very satisfying. Geocaching takes us to locations, near and far, where we would never go to otherwise. When you visit a vacation spot, caching will take you where tourists would not typically go. One thing that older (more mature?) cachers may appreciate is knowing that the journey is just as fun as reaching the destination. OK, I don't care for boats and I have just one hideous brightly colored shirt. Also I like Pina Coladas but prefer a good draft beer.

I fell in love with the game in 2002 when I found the hunt took me to some really neat places and that is what I still love. Accept now you have to weed thru all the junk caches to find a great trip to a cache with junk in it.

Please feel free to make an art out of finding interesting things to put in the caches - they don't have to cost much - yard sales are full of cheap useable stuff someone no longer wants. It is fun to put good stuff in there and it adds alot to the game. Keep it in your mind and the prizes will come. When you are 67 you will pride yourself on what you can still do (so will the women) - if you get out there and do it and never think of not doing it! Camp hike paddle ride walk and tell all the jokes you know! It ain't OVER till its OVER! If ya come to a fork in the road - TAKE IT!

DO THAT! when ya can friends and let them that don't want too, have fond memories of not doin it!

This coming Wednesday (April 23) I will be 89 and the wife is 88. We have enjoyed geocaching since 2001. My wife of over 65 years has had two stokes and we are now limited to what we can do. I hope we will be able to do some traveling this summer and pick up some caches. Our goal is to get to 10000 before we kick the bucket. We have had an enjoyable life and geocaching has been a big factor. Dick & Arlene Bremerton, WA I am a WWII Navy vet and Arlene was a welder building parts for WWII Bombers.

This coming Wednesday (April 23) I will be 89 and the wife is 88. We have enjoyed geocaching since 2001. My wife of over 65 years has had two stokes and we are now limited to what we can do. I hope we will be able to do some traveling this summer and pick up some caches. Our goal is to get to 10000 before we kick the bucket. We have had an enjoyable life and geocaching has been a big factor. Dick & Arlene Bremerton, WA I am a WWII Navy vet and Arlene was a welder building parts for WWII Bombers.

You never cease to amaze me Dick. It has been a real pleasure seeing your signature in the logs over the year. I hope that if I make it to 89 I will still be out on the trail signing logs. Have a happy birthday and give my best to Arlene.

Ohhh I see, so it's an "us" and "them" kinda deal. A secret/elitest group of *spesh* members. Wait! The avatar is only for the Free-Masons on the forums?

Guess I will just have to be doomed to the mediocrity of having a default avatar, forever :lostsignal:

I can confirm the Freemasons have nothing to do with your caching avatar unless you chose to create a connection. I will also say that your life has very likely been positively influenced by one or more Freemasons even if you do not realize it happened. We work quietly and we do great things.

OT, last Saturday my 24 yo son and I hiked 12+ miles in the mountains while finding 55 caches. Our previous daily find record was 34 or so. I am 57 and I certainly don't think my best days are behind me. Many fun days are behind me but I am confident many more are to be enjoyed in the days to come.

While I'm a decade away from being old per the definition, I rather enjoy the extreme aspects of it, like climbing out on a cable 70 feet above a ravine:

4614839817_beab160011_z.jpg

or carrying a 25 foot ladder on your shoulders, while biking, 3 miles into the woods, to climb up and old abandoned RR trestle:

3897110162_9220305778_z.jpg

or a nice simple 10 mile paddle on a river with friends:

3943394330_db1b98df14_z.jpg

My Bride and I like finding stuff while we hike. If it wasn't for my Bride, I wouldn't even look at the contents. When I cache alone, I never look past the log. As soon as I have my hands on the cache, I lose interest. Even now my Bride is beginning to change her thoughts about caches. The contents are for kids. Something to make the walk worthwhile.

and of course......

You never cease to amaze me Dick. It has been a real pleasure seeing your signature in the logs over the year. I hope that if I make it to 89 I will still be out on the trail signing logs. Have a happy birthday and give my best to Arlene.

Thanks Jim.

I've looked around and replied to a few posts, and clicking on a few profiles I've found many of the cachers are 60+ or thereabouts, and thought, "that's a bit straaaange. That someone that age would be out searching for caches filled with Broken McDonalds toys. Surely they'd rather be out on their boats, wearing their hideous brightly coloured tropical shirts, and sipping pina coladas in some bar in Florida or something?...

i beg your pardon? you obviously have no connection to the real world dude. what a skewed, warped, dumb paradigm as to what "someone that age" is like. what the heck is "that age" anyway?

surely you were writing in jest. i mean no one could be that clueless, right?

for example, i am still an active newspaper photographer, shooting sports, events and accidents. i climb under fences, go up hills to cover an airplane crash, work the sides of a football field and shoot baseball out of the dugout. i go camping alone, wander around the desert, 4-wheel on rocky roads in the middle of nowhere. i am sure i am "that age" in your book. and i am female. not that that has anything to do with it except to maybe clear up your idea of what us old folks are like.

and i happen to love my hideous tropical shirts. they are comfortable in the heat and don't bind if i am trying to get into a strange position to shoot.

sheesh.

absolutely awesome! i hope you two are writing down your adventures from WWII and later to pass on your personal view of history. i have interviewed a lot of vets and they think their stories are not important. i can assure you they are. as members of the Greatest Generation walk on, we need the memories

I've looked around and replied to a few posts, and clicking on a few profiles I've found many of the cachers are 60+ or thereabouts, and thought, "that's a bit straaaange. That someone that age would be out searching for caches filled with Broken McDonalds toys. Surely they'd rather be out on their boats, wearing their hideous brightly coloured tropical shirts, and sipping pina coladas in some bar in Florida or something?...

i beg your pardon? you obviously have no connection to the real world dude. what a skewed, warped, dumb paradigm as to what "someone that age" is like. what the heck is "that age" anyway?

for example, i am still an active newspaper photographer, shooting sports, events and accidents. i climb under fences, go up hills to cover an airplane crash, work the sides of a football field and shoot baseball out of the dugout. i go camping alone, wander around the desert, 4-wheel on rocky roads in the middle of nowhere. i am sure i am "that age" in your book. and i am female. not that that has anything to do with it except to maybe clear up your idea of what us old folks are like.

and i happen to love my hideous tropical shirts. they are comfortable in the heat and don't bind if i am trying to get into a strange position to shoot.

sheesh.

I'll give you a +1 on this! I found the original post to be insulting, and completely out of touch with reality!

In younger days, I hiked half the AT. I still like getting out hiking for my exercise. Geocaching is a great excuse for that, and it takes me to new and interesting places!

sheesh.

Yeah, I agree that the question was rather rudely stated, but I thought it was an interesting one nonetheless, and I chose to overlook the tone in favor of the intent. The question has led to an interesting discussion and until now (unless I missed some) no one had returned rudeness with more rudeness.

Hey, Psychaesthtic, want a better challenge than the Blue Mountains? Try The Great North Walk from Sydney to Newcastle, a much better option. Plenty of caches along the way and so far off the beaten track that there wont be a Maccas toy within cooee. Although I'm happy for you to prove me wrong.

For the record. The cook and I have been caching for two and a bit years. We're both 65. We ride our mountain bikes almost daily and kayak too. I race in competition windsurfer events on Formula race boardhttps and ride motorcycles on and off road. Perhaps your perception of what "old" has been warped by factors such as media or your own personal relationships. Retirement, these days, is not about golf or bowls clubs as in generation ago, we are much more fit and active than our grandparents ever were. With all the obesity problems today I often wonder what's in store for the younger generation when they reach 60+, if they get that far that is.

I'm north of 65, so I guess I qualify, although I didn't when I started geocaching. There are lots of good reasons older people geocache, and the reality is that my reasons did change when I retired. Many valid reasons have been mentioned: exercise, meeting people, a chance to do something with a spouse, feeling younger, etc. These are good, but for me post retirement I find it more important to find things to do just to occupy all my free time. I've led an active retirement with volunteer work, lots of reading, writing (three novels and a blog), making videos, running, studying a foreign language in adult school, etc., but I still find myself playing more computer solitaire and sitting around the house more than I would like. I watch some pretty crappy TV, too, which I would never bother with in younger days (although I think it's mainly because almost everything on TV these days is crappy). Geocaching gives me something to do and gets me out of the house. It's also healthy sometimes to spend less time with the spouse. Consider the recreational alternatives other people choose: golf, "book" clubs (that mainly mean drinking wine and gossiping) and hanging out in bars.

MA and I are both North of 65. We have been caching since 2004. As caching evolved, we adapted to the changes.

Caching keeps us active. It is a big part of our life. We are obsessed. Here are some examples.

*This month we drove to PA and NJ to meet up with friends and hike for 7 days on the Appalachian Trail. We left home 8 days ahead of time and cached on the way down, hiking up to 20 kms some days, picking up cache series. It took us another 5 days to get home. Total caches 464 for the trip.

*Yesterday I went out into the woods with my hiking pal Belladan and we picked up 5 caches, hiking 12 kms down muddy logging roads, along abandoned ATV trails and across a few kms of clear cut forests.

*Monday, a cacher from Quebec is coming to our place and we are heading to PEI for a week or so to bike the Confederation trail, and to do some hiking in woodlots and provincial parks, etc.

*We came back from a cruise in Texas in January, and rented a car for a week to get caches in 4 more states, including Louisiana where we got 219

*We are headed to a Niagara Falls wedding in July and will take the opportunity to cache, including maybe 3 more states.

*Every few years we visit our son in Calif, well we say we are visiting him, but we also have grabbed over 1000 caches.

*One year it took us 3 weeks to drive the 800 miles to visit our daughter. We went to a number of events during our travel and found over 700 caches and brought a travelling cache to visit cachers.

*At home we spend time planning trips, with PQ's, routes, solving puzzles, etc.

* We have made many caching friends who are an important part of our life.