FTF Souvenir

Should there be a souvenir for FTF, what are your thoughts??

NO.

There are countries that don't have souvenirs, so having a souvenir for something so useless as "FTF" would be ridiculous.

How would such a souvenir work? Anyone who has posted "FTF" in a log gets one? <_< There's no intelligent way to award a souvenir for a side-game.

I love souvenirs, and I would hope that GS would listen to those of us who think the program should be fair to all countries where caches can be found.

For something ridiculous like FTF...not so much.

B.

Should there be a souvenir for FTF, what are your thoughts??

NO.

There are countries that don't have souvenirs, so having a souvenir for something so useless as "FTF" would be ridiculous.

How would such a souvenir work? Anyone who has posted "FTF" in a log gets one? <_< There's no intelligent way to award a souvenir for a side-game.

I love souvenirs, and I would hope that GS would listen to those of us who think the program should be fair to all countries where caches can be found.

For something ridiculous like FTF...not so much.

B.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'm still annoyed that 11/11/11 didn't get one when 10/10/10 and 12/12/12 did.

I'm thinking the OP meant a trinket left in the cache for a FTF prize.

Oops! Well, in that case, then...

YAY!!!! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!! HOORAH! HUZZAH!

Actually, totally up to you. Really cool to find one when there's one there, but not necessary at all...

If you build it they will come!

If you're referring to the souvenir as an icon on your cache page, for a side game - no thanks.

If you're talking about a FTF prize in a cache and you'd like to leave one, that's fine.

We leave 'em in hides a little tougher than exiting your car and walking ten feet.

I agree with you. Leave a nice prize for a tough cache. My last hide contained 1 troy gram of .999 fine bullion in it, and a trackable. A souvenir icon for my cache page for being FTF? Heck NO! Adding them to my find count like Benchmarks and Lab caches for each FTF makes better sense to me. :D

"

I'll add to the host of "NO"s, on digital FTF souvenirs. In the long run, such souvenirs would, of necessity, need to be resolved, if not outright assigned, by the cache owner. If that were ever to become a reality..."

I'd start logging finds on all my own caches and award myself the FTF souvenir. Or ask Clan Riffster to log them all as soon as possible after publication so I could award them all to him. A favor I'm sure he'd do me. We could swap, I'd log his, he'd log mine. Believe me, I'd rather deal with fake finds for fake FTF souvenirs than ever have to deal with FTF wars.

Re FTF goody. It's the BLANK LOG! Really, that's it. That clean, unsigned log is the one and only thing the FTF seeker is seeking.

Re FTF goody. It's the BLANK LOG! Really, that's it. That clean, unsigned log is the one and only thing the FTF seeker is seeking.

That and the cache unmolested by the hands of caches in its orignal hidden state as intended by the hider.

I am also on board with NO to the digital souvenir, how ever, I will leave a FTF prize in my caches as I am tring to play as it once was back before geocaching could walk.

The blank log is only affirmation that you are FTF, but I hardly think seeing a blank piece of paper is what motivates anyone. The fun is in the race, getting there before the other local cachers that you either know or not. The competitive spirit is what people, including myself occasionally, enjoy about the FTF game. There is a little thrill in "winning the race". If you happened to live in an area where you are one of only two geocachers, I am quite positive you would not race out to be the first, since there is no one to race against (assume the other person is the only other person hiding). Seeing a blank log in such a situation would not give a thrill.

As for putting something special in the cache for the FTF, that can serve as extra incentive for people to race to find it. Nothing wrong with that.

I hardly think seeing a blank piece of paper is what motivates anyone.

It's what motivates me. In fact, it's the only motivation. I'm not into competition. At all. One of the draws of this hobby is that, other than the competition invented by a small percentage of players engaged in the FTF side game, and the competition invented by those who must have the highest number of finds in their given area, the hobby is free of such things.

Edited by Clan Riffster

As for putting something special in the cache for the FTF, that can serve as extra incentive for people to race to find it. Nothing wrong with that.

I have signed between 200-300 blank logs. It's really just a matter of time, circumstances, or geography. I don't do good with delayed satisfaction, so when there is a cache I want to find, and it's in my neighborhood, I might get it sooner rather than later. Still, I don't use the three initials in any kind of log, so a digital souvenir for that would be silly, even if there was a way to do it. It would be one more thing to hide on my profile.

As to a prize, if I am going to leave one, I do it for the Fourth to Find or Fifth to Find since both an incentive and reward seems more appropriate. The First gets to sign a blank log and congratulate themselves in their log. Or have their pick of trade items before the cache is depleted. Reward enough if that is your game.

The Fourth or Fifth are there just to cache.

Edited by geodarts

Geez guys, it was a simple, innocent question! Be a little more gentle with your opinions, don't just say "NO!!!mad.gif" It's not like he asked for logbooks to no longer be a requirement...dry.gif

Besides, it seems like a lot of you that were doing that were interpenetrating the question wrong. He/she meant an item in the cache container for the FTF, not a souvenir like the 12/12/12 or 31 days. (Which I still wouldn't necessarily be opposed to, although GS has (wisely) avoided making FTF an official part of the game.)

To answer the question: Yes, a FTF prize is a great little reward for getting the cache before anyone else. Personally, I'd only leave one on caches harder than a P&G, but that's up to the hider.

Edited by ADKer
Besides, it seems like a lot of you that were doing that were interpenetrating the question wrong. He/she meant an item in the cache container for the FTF, not a souvenir like the 12/12/12 or 31 days.

And you know that how?

The OP hasn't returned. The suggestion of a different meaning came from another.

Most took it as said. Some gave opinions on both interpretations.

Besides, kinda late for the OP to come in and say otherwise now... :)

Besides, it seems like a lot of you that were doing that were interpenetrating the question wrong. He/she meant an item in the cache container for the FTF, not a souvenir like the 12/12/12 or 31 days.

And you know that how?

The OP hasn't returned. The suggestion of a different meaning came from another.

You're right, I suppose I am just assuming.

But come on, there's no way OP meant a regular...digital......souvenirunsure.gifph34r.gif

Geez guys, it was a simple, innocent question! Be a little more gentle with your opinions, don't just say "NO!!!mad.gif" It's not like he asked for logbooks to no longer be a requirement...dry.gif

Besides, it seems like a lot of you that were doing that were interpenetrating the question wrong. He/she meant an item in the cache container for the FTF, not a souvenir like the 12/12/12 or 31 days. (Which I still wouldn't necessarily be opposed to, although GS has (wisely) avoided making FTF an official part of the game.)

So how were we supposed to know that when he said "Souvenir" he didn't mean "Souvenir"? Were we supposed to look up his profile and assume that because he is a n00b that he doesn't know what he's saying, or didn't mean what he said?

Any anyway, when someone asks for opinions, they shouldn't expect them all to come sugar-coated. If you can't stand the heat, stay in the "Getting Started" forum.

P.S. "interpenetrating" --that's an interesting word

And you know that how?

But come on, there's no way OP meant a regular...digital......souvenirunsure.gifph34r.gif

That's exactly what i thought the OP was referring to.

I like getting ftfs from time to time but i could care less about getting a souvenir. Of course, i'd go for it if the ftf souvenir was a crisp new $100 dollar bill or something similar. :P

So how were we supposed to know that when he said "Souvenir" he didn't mean "Souvenir"? Were we supposed to look up his profile and assume that because he is a n00b that he doesn't know what he's saying, or didn't mean what he said?

Any anyway, when someone asks for opinions, they shouldn't expect them all to come sugar-coated. If you can't stand the heat, stay in the "Getting Started" forum.

P.S. "interpenetrating" --that's an interesting word

Oops!tongue.gif

And you know that how?

That's exactly what i thought the OP was referring to.

I like getting ftfs from time to time but i could care less about getting a souvenir. Of course, i'd go for it if the ftf souvenir was a crisp new $100 dollar bill or something similar. :P

How about a crisp $2 billbiggrin.gif

To answer the question: Yes, a FTF prize is a great little reward for getting the cache before anyone else. Personally, I'd only leave one on caches harder than a P&G, but that's up to the hider.

I wasn't aware the OP's question required more than a yes/no answer.

If we want to talk nuance, I suppose we can. But really, the idea of making the FTF side-game more than what it is already is just silly IMO.

Some recognize the FTF with an addition to the cache description. Others write a note. Some leave gifts. Still others ignore the side-game altogether. There isn't a certain way to do it, and the question asked if there (implied) should be a FTF souvenir (digital or otherwise is up for debate?). My answer is "No." There shouldn't be any award--required or implied--for a side-game some like to play.

I like to hunt FTFs if I can, but their luster has worn now that I'm in a significantly less cache-dense area. I'll still get a FTF, but there is little reason for me to get a FTF souvenir for what I do to be FTF here in Homer, AK. So, yet another simple example of why any official recognition of FTF is just plain silly.

If a cache placer feels like putting a gift card or unactivated TB or GC in there, so be it. Neither a digital souvenir or physical prize should be any kind of official process for this game.

I think it wouldn't ever happen mainly because FTF isn't part of the official game anyway - and for quite good reasons. I see so many upsets on-line about FTF-hounds getting upset with FTF claimants not logging said FTF quickly enough that it's actually one of the less enjoyable aspects of the game for me.

Logging FTF quickly for those who don't have mobile internet isn't even possible, but you'd think it was a matter of life and death for some people - which then means that they can get very het up about it, and angry words can then often be exchanged. I've seen cachers throw their toys out of the pram and archive most of their caches, when a simple drive-by wasn't logged within an hour or two and they had what they considered a wasted journey to it for second-to-find. The log for that one wasn't a nice one to read, I can tell you! If they'd missed out on a souvenir, the fallout would have been horrible.

I'm actually quite glad that Groundspeak themselves don't officially recognise the FTF concept as part of the game as it does mean some unpleasant situations can be avoided. I do hope they don't change that policy.

Think they got the point and you scared them off.

Hasn't scared him off from posting frequently every day in the forums. :rolleyes:

Very small sampling:

posted a reply Today, 12:31 PM in: Petition to change the Cache Saturation policy

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=308128&st=150&p=5354922&fromsearch=1entry5354922

posted a reply Today, 12:27 PM in: Attribute: Power Trail

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=303795&st=50&p=5354919&fromsearch=1entry5354919

new thread started: Forum Time

Posted Yesterday, 02:50 PM

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=320057

started a new thread: Favourite Cache Conatainer Whats Yours? (hasn't returned to it either)

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=320054

started a new thread: Watch List Who are they? (hasn't returned to it either)

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=319979

prompting another member to comment: Wow, TheHarleyRebels, it seems like you've been touching on a lot of controversial geosubjects today, haha! It's entertaining to see the responses though. Posted Image Souvenirs, watchlist, what's next? Bringing back virtuals?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

...what's next? Bringing back virtuals?

That's not scheduled till next Thursday.

Just to clarify that I (Pup Patrol) was not the one who said that about virtuals. It was a quote from another forum member in a different thread.

Anywhoo, my point was that the HarleyRebel seems to start a bunch of "discussions", posts a lot in other threads, but seems to not want to clarify his original post of this thread.

Lots of people are making assumptions, but I think HarleyRebel knows full well the difference between a souvenir and a piece of swag in a cache container.

B.

Just to clarify that I (Pup Patrol) was not the one who said that about virtuals. It was a quote from another forum member in a different thread.

Anywhoo, my point was that the HarleyRebel seems to start a bunch of "discussions", posts a lot in other threads, but seems to not want to clarify his original post of this thread.

Lots of people are making assumptions, but I think HarleyRebel knows full well the difference between a souvenir and a piece of swag in a cache container.

B.

Ok I was trying to stay out of this to avoid more anger and ranting but I guess I can't much longer, yes I did mean an online souvenir and wanted to see what other people think, but as I can now see alot of people are against this and so am I now. All I asked was what you thought, and I got the whole rant about it for asking a question, don't get me wrong I like seeing other people's replies but not a rant fest! Thank you to all who replied (nicely) as I do enjoy reading your response!

B.

Ok I was trying to stay out of this to avoid more anger and ranting but I guess I can't much longer, yes I did mean an online souvenir and wanted to see what other people think, but as I can now see alot of people are against this and so am I now. All I asked was what you thought, and I got the whole rant about it for asking a question, don't get me wrong I like seeing other people's replies but not a rant fest! Thank you to all who replied (nicely) as I do enjoy reading your response!

The problem with awarding an official Geocaching.com souvenir is that there is no way for the web site to determine who is actually FTF. This would put the burden on the cache owner to determine who gets the award. Most of us simply are not interested in doing this, especially if it puts us between two cachers that are both claiming they are FTF.

I'm not in favor of a FTF digital souvenir. I do enjoy leaving an unactivated FTF Micro Geocoin, or a FTF pin in my new caches. They are available from the geocaching store, and since they are placed in the cache, there is not much to quibble about regarding who gets to keep it. The first person to get their hands on the cache will naturally have dibs. I think the FTF digital souvenir is a bad idea because it would be hard to manage fairly - unless someone is logging from the field. A FTFer may log second if they wait until they get home to their computer to log the find.

I've occasionally had the experience of being first to the cache site, looking for the cache, and having a more experienced cacher show up and find the cache while I am still there looking in the wrong place. That makes them the FTF, not me, even though they have been generous and referred to it as a co-FTF in their log. I still point out in my log that I was not the one to actually make the find.

Treat other cachers as you would want to be treated - - it works surprisingly well!