Geocachers...super guilty of "phubbing"

I laughed when I first heard this term...but also thought "yes, there is finally a term for this".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phubbing

I thought and joked about this at a recent event. Funny how in general, we should not be rude and play with our mobile devices when in the company of others. HOWEVER!!!! Funny how we don't seem to mind when in the company of fellow geocachers.

Really is funny this little subculture caching has created. :laughing:

I find it very annoying these days. Can't carry on a real conversation with so many folks today.

We recently went to a restaurant and after a few minutes a group came in to claim their reserved table of about 12 people. The elder gentleman in the group made an announcement which just cracked us up. "We are here to celebrate your mother's birthday, the first person that takes their phone out of their pocket has to pay the bill." We just cracked up. Kudos to him.

I overheard a lady I work with talking about a 'game' she plays with her friends when they go out to dinner for a monthly event. They all place their phones in the middle of the table. First one to pick it up has to pay for everyone's dinner. I may implement this with my teenage daughters next time we go out to eat.

".....the first person that takes their phone out of their pocket has to pay the bill."

On certain events in DC, we did this:

Smartphone-table-2.jpg

Called 'Phone Stacking' and similar idea, the first person to reach for their phone pays the entire bill. It was funny sometimes and lead to a similar side game....phone Jenga...as sometimes folks would leave the phone on, but to vibrate, and if there was a lot of txt msgs and such, eventually the stack would fall. Never thought of a penalty/reward, but it was funny on the rare occasion in happens.

I posted this early in the morning, so maybe it was funnier in my rather tired state, but I like the response above too.

I laughed when I first heard this term...but also thought "yes, there is finally a term for this".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phubbing

I thought and joked about this at a recent event. Funny how in general, we should not be rude and play with our mobile devices when in the company of others. HOWEVER!!!! Funny how we don't seem to mind when in the company of fellow geocachers.

Really is funny this little subculture caching has created. :laughing:

SInce I work on a university campus I suppose see Phubbing taken to the extreme. The wiki page describes Phubbing as the act of snubbing someone in a social setting by looking at your phone instead of paying attention.

That implies interacting with (or failing to) a specific person or people. I think it goes beyond that. I see examples all the time of people paying attention to their phone to the point that they're completely oblivious to anything else going on around them.

I see people texting as they walk out to cross the road without even looking to see if there is a car bearing down them. Last week I was standing in line for my morning coffee and the woman standing in front of me, after getting hers, stood there in front of the counter and started to answer a text message instead of getting out of the way so that I (and the six people behind me) could place their order. I see people all the time just stop walking in mid stride, often in front of a door into or out of a building, effectively blocking anyone else from going through the door. I've even seen a woman stop just outside the boarding gate in a terminal as dozens of passengers were trying to get off the plane.

All you need is one of these. Although possession in the US is illegal, to date nobody has ever been prosecuted.

I need one for my house to keep me and the kids off our phones and devices... though I have not had to do the "first one to touch their phone pays the bill" yet while out in public, but as the kids get older, I may have to do that. Can also do that at home and make it some undesirable chore

I'm wondering if this topic can actually be focused on "phubbing", in relation to geocaching. So far, only a couple posts have referenced caching.

If the comments in this thread continue to be an off topic discussion about phones in general, I'll need to move this thread to the Off Topic forum.

I think the OP was suggesting that geocachers can't be guilty of phubbing because obviously we're using our smartphones for something important.

I'll try though. Considering how common smartphones are being used for geocaching has anyone gone caching with someone that while in between actively searching for their cache they're texting someone else rather than socializing.

Considering how common smartphones are being used for geocaching has anyone gone caching with someone that while in between actively searching for their cache they're texting someone else rather than socializing.

Guilty.

- Well, my other 2/3rds.

While walking a nice, flat rail to trail, she was playing a hang-man game or something with another.

Stubbed her foot on what was probably the only RR spike still in the entire 6.5 miles and landed flat on her face.

Wrists or phone weren't broken, but she had a shiner almost immediately.

She learned her lesson and now only looks when taking a break, when my GPSr died, or a C&D is nearby a good hike and I (somehow) missed it.

Considering how common smartphones are being used for geocaching has anyone gone caching with someone that while in between actively searching for their cache they're texting someone else rather than socializing.

I know a cacher who, in betwixt finds, spends all their time on Faceybook, playing Angry Birds, etc. From my view in the cheap seats, they seem to be enjoying themselves. No worries.

I honestly don't see much of this at caching events. Sure someone may go to his phone to produce photos from a cache hunt, but I don't see large numbers of people with their noses in their phones.

Now when out with my friends, different story. Five of us were in a pub not long ago and at one point I realized all five of us had our noses in our cell phones.

....and no, I have no idea what that is in the soup (just picked some random image).

Whatever it was, it appears to have been gluten-free....

--Larry

I'm guessing the photo shows either squash soup or olive oil to dip bread in. The high angle of view makes it impossible to tell if it's a plate or a bowl.