Found a lab cache?

If you answer the title with yes then how was it and what do you think about it?

I don't think the experience is the same for everyone. The point was to see what we could come up with-so you could have 100 people answer and have 100 completely different experiences from "I went to this location and entered password" to "I had to find someones car, count the number of geocaching stickers, then go to another location and multiply my answer by the address" to "Go to the nature preserve, and take the numb er of acres it covers, add the age of the oldest tree, divide by the year it opened" all of which would be found by walking the trails and reading the signs.

It is not just another form of virtual-it is any kind of cache, and every kind of cache at the same time. I don't think the question should be what did you think about it, but rather what did you do?

If you answer the title with yes then how was it and what do you think about it?

I think "founds" on labcaches should not be mixed up with founds of "regular" caches...as theres only one who can claim a "found it". Caches shopuld be available for everyone, that was the original idea behind geocaching, no?(although theres a exception for PM...)

Here's a

of someone placing their Lab Cache:

I hope to (physically) find it in the next couple weeks ... and then possibly log it as a find, or possibly not. B) Anyway, I thought it was a nice usage of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache.

Keystone:

Unclear if your moderator note was meant for my post. If so ... I can delete / move it.

As a reminder, this thread is for sharing experiences about finding an I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache. If you actually found a Lab Cache, post here. If you have general questions or comments about the concept of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches, please post in this thread.

What about other Lab Cache experiences? Or should be have a separate thread for those specific Lab Caches?

Question:

After one of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches is found, what does the URL pull up? Does anyone have any URLs of any already-found February Lab Caches (not the mega ones)?

Asking for this: http://sites.google.com/site/gonovalabs2014/

Thanks.

I see you are in Northern Virginia. Are you up to a Challenge? I have a lab cache that the coordinates went wrong when I published it for my son, but I have the exact coordinates to the code needed to log my Lab cache. I would be glad to share with my Northern Vriginia Geocaching Cousins, but I just don't think you guys are up to this Lab cache hike that I created for my little boy. :anicute:

As a reminder, this thread is for sharing experiences about finding an I <3 Geocaching Lab Cache. If you actually found a Lab Cache, post here. If you have general questions or comments about the concept of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches, please post in this thread.

That thread was taken over by three guys who are debating how many angels will fit on the lint in their belly buttons. It was at ten pages the last time I checked, and the I<3GC comments were hard to find.

I will be seeing my Significant Other this weekend. I plan to set one out and will help her find it. I will definitely report back.

What about other Lab Cache experiences? Or should be have a separate thread for those specific Lab Caches?

According to the thread title and the posed question in the OP, I'd say go along with reporting other lab caches experiences as well, but I'm not sure whether the OP just chose the wrong title and had only I <3 lab caches in mind.

So far I have only heard about people experiencing troubles when setting up lab caches (the most complaints refer to the coordinate issue), but know only a single story about a find of a I <3 lab cache. I guess in my country it will take at least a few days (at least until the first weekend after the launch) more until more stories will become available, but these will not show up in this forum anyway.

I also would love to hear stories about what people had to do to end up with the find code. It is such a pity that we cannot view lab caches. I still hope that someone will share his/her story here.

Maybe someone from Groundspeak could tell us how many I <3 caches have already been found and logged as of now. That might help to understand why there are no experience reports in this thread.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

Question:

After one of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches is found, what does the URL pull up? Does anyone have any URLs of any already-found February Lab Caches (not the mega ones)?

Answer:

After one of the I <3 Geocaching Lab Caches is found, using the URL, a user who is neither the hider nor owner of the cache will see:

1) A notice that the cache has expired or is unavailable

2) The "created by" user

The cache name, description, coords, and other info entered by the creator do not seem to be available. Also, it doesn't list who found it.

Note: the above isn't a complaint ... it's just an answer to my question in case anyone else was wondering ...

The cache name, description, coords, and other info entered by the creator do not seem to be available. Also, it doesn't list who found it.

Note: the above isn't a complaint ... it's just an answer to my question in case anyone else was wondering ...

Does this mean that you meanwhile have found one of the new (not mega related lab caches)? It surprises me that noone is willing to share his/her story (from the finders point of view) here.

I guess by now there should exist a few hundreds of such lab caches at least.

Cezanne

I have not found one but I posted one for a friend 4,800 miles away last night so that he would have it for Saturday morning in Germany. It was just a short tour of locations in his home town. He could have easily arm chaired it but rather he went out and walked the tour as I had laid it out. He posted 59 photos he took along the tour to facebook, which was a great surprise to me when I got up this morning. I think it was a great experience for both of us.

Edited by BruceS

I have not found one but I posted one for a friend 4,800 miles away last night so that he would have it for Saturday morning in Germany. It was just a short tour of locations in his home town. He could have easily arm chaired it but rather he went out and walked the tour as I had laid it out. He posted 59 photos he took along the tour to facebook, which was a great surprise to me when I got up this morning. I think it was a great experience for both of us.

Thanks Bruce for the lab cache. It was a great surprise this morning. My adventure was about 4 stages (like a Multi Cache, finding things (Pirate ship), numbers, pictures etc. and at the end I combined the answers to get the code to log the lab cache and I received my personal message). I did it with the whole family and I made many great pictures. So the lab cache was perfect for this sunny Saturday morning.

Thanks Bruce for the lab cache. It was a great surprise this morning. My adventure was about 4 stages (like a Multi Cache, finding things (Pirate ship), numbers, pictures etc. and at the end I combined the answers to get the code to log the lab cache and I received my personal message). I did it with the whole family and I made many great pictures. So the lab cache was perfect for this sunny Saturday morning.

Cool. Thanks for sharing in the spirit of this thread. I've been waiting to hear.

Cool. Thanks for sharing in the spirit of this thread. I've been waiting to hear.

I believe that it is safe to say that we Waymarkers enjoy these I <3 Lab caches. :) Thanks for sharing.

I found a Lab cache on 4th February which had been set up by my good friends Team Microdot. :D

When this new initiative was first announced, I was quite sceptical. I couldn't see the point of something being set up which could only be found by one person.. and I'm a bit OCD about my Statistics showing correct information.. so to have a smiley, which shows in my find count but not in my stats is a challenge. :blink:

BUT when the email notification dropped into my inbox I got the same BUZZ as when I get a EUREKA moment on a clever puzzle.. or an unexpected FTF. I was stunned.. and pleased that someone had gone to the effort of creating a Lab Cache just for me. B)

My Lab Cache was called "Pea'dle in a Peastack!" and while it was a regular geocache hunt, close to home.. it was already dark when I headed out.. and that always makes it more exciting. The container was HUGE.. so it wasn't difficult to find but Team Microdot are renowned for their EVIL puzzles and whilst this wasn't a puzzle as such, the means to working out the Find Code was quite EVIL. :P

A bag full of split peas.. 8 of which contained the letters which, when unscrambled, would give the Find Code.

It really was a Pea'dle in a Peastack! :blink:

But it was great fun and I really enjoyed it. :D :D

The only disappointing thing for me was that there is no facility to write a found log.. though I did write a log about my experience and email it to Team Microdot. Logs are an important part of my hobby and I would hope that if this initiative was to become more permanent, that Groundspeak would allow Lab Caches to be logged in the usual way. B)

Ah, nice. Just went and looked at your pics on facebook. Thanks for sharing!

I had someone hide one for me and I did the same to him in return, so we each found one and hide one. Just speaking on this one time experiment, I liked it. Could hide a cache in my own little neighborhood park and not have to worry I had another cache in it. Was quick, no reviews. I did learn that the pass codes were very case sensitive as he wrote down the pass code in CAPS but he entered it on Geocaching.com in lower case.

The whole experience to me is a bit cloudy with the stats messing up, they should either count all the way or none at all (like benchmarks), but the 1 cache experiment, stats notwithstanding, I thought went all right.

Does this mean that you meanwhile have found one of the new (not mega related lab caches)?

No, I have not. I found five lab caches at a Mega last year.

However, at this point, I think I've seen the I <3 Geocaching lab caches in enough states (creation, unfound, found, what finder sees, what creator sees, what others see) to have my questions answered for this: https://sites.google.com/site/gonovalabs2014/

Thanks!

I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned if the "hider" gets a notification when/if the lab cache is found?

My "I <3 Geocaching" cache was found on Saturday. I didn't get any sort of notice that I remember seeing.

For those curious, here's what I did for "Geocache? DanOCache!"

- The code was concealed in a hide-a-key container and hidden on my vehicle.

- I posted the URL on our local FB group and invited everyone to see who could locate my vehicle first. I didn't really describe the car in detail, I just mentioned "You'll know it when you see it." since my license plate is the same as my gc.com userID. I also invited people to follow my Twitter account, with the idea that I would drop hints about my whereabouts to aid seekers.

- I had mentioned on the FB group that my car would be locked in my garage most of the weekend so for the next couple of days the Difficulty of the cache could be considered a 5 because you'd need locksmith skills to access it. (Or a rock!)

- A friend of mine tried to lure me outside to a puzzle cache but I was busy and couldn't make it. So, he decided to drive by my house "just in case".

- I happened to unexpectedly buy a couch and loveseat that morning and they were taking up space in my garage so the car was parked outside and he lucked out. He then rang my doorbell and asked to use my computer to log his find because he was having issues with his phone.

So, the great DanOCache experiment came to an end much faster than expected. I thought it would be found by someone who follows me on FB/Twitter enough to know where I park when I take the train to work and would grab it in the parking lot.

It was a fun experiment. I'd like to be able to have some sort of "normal" cache on my car complete with a logbook and people could log it if they happen to see it, similar to all the vehicles with trackable codes on them.

I placed one with a Valentines Day theme on Friday. My Significant Other found it on Saturday, with me tagging along. She is not a hard-corps geocacher, but she seemed to enjoy the experience. The main difficulty was getting the coords right, but a post in one of the other I<3GC threads cleared that up. It would be nice for the finder to be able to comment on the find and to see the comments as the owner.

I may have missed it, but has anyone mentioned if the "hider" gets a notification when/if the lab cache is found?

My "I <3 Geocaching" cache was found on Saturday. I didn't get any sort of notice that I remember seeing.

For those curious, here's what I did for "Geocache? DanOCache!"

- The code was concealed in a hide-a-key container and hidden on my vehicle.

- I posted the URL on our local FB group and invited everyone to see who could locate my vehicle first. I didn't really describe the car in detail, I just mentioned "You'll know it when you see it." since my license plate is the same as my gc.com userID. I also invited people to follow my Twitter account, with the idea that I would drop hints about my whereabouts to aid seekers.

- I had mentioned on the FB group that my car would be locked in my garage most of the weekend so for the next couple of days the Difficulty of the cache could be considered a 5 because you'd need locksmith skills to access it. (Or a rock!)

- A friend of mine tried to lure me outside to a puzzle cache but I was busy and couldn't make it. So, he decided to drive by my house "just in case".

- I happened to unexpectedly buy a couch and loveseat that morning and they were taking up space in my garage so the car was parked outside and he lucked out. He then rang my doorbell and asked to use my computer to log his find because he was having issues with his phone.

So, the great DanOCache experiment came to an end much faster than expected. I thought it would be found by someone who follows me on FB/Twitter enough to know where I park when I take the train to work and would grab it in the parking lot.

It was a fun experiment. I'd like to be able to have some sort of "normal" cache on my car complete with a logbook and people could log it if they happen to see it, similar to all the vehicles with trackable codes on them.

Thats a good one Dan!

Interesting.

If you aren't going to participate, consider "donating" your lab cache to their (novago) site.

I appreciate the nod, thanks. Also ... people should feel free to copy the idea in their neck of the woods if they choose.

We've had some interesting lab caches starting to pop up locally ... fun to see.

Didn't really think it an option. Good idea! Few interested here though...

Found a lab cache yesterday - hidden for us by our good friend LFC4eva B)

The email arrived quite out of the blue - I know the CO had been struggling for ideas but had obviously pulled on the thinking cap quite tightly as the experience we were treated to was brilliantly conceived and delivered :)

In some ways the process was the reverse of what we're used to - we like puzzles and so will invest time indoors solving a bunch of them before venturing outdoors to log as many as possible - whereas with this experience we went out and brought the cache home to solve the puzzles and divine the Find Code. One can of course do this - take the cache home - safe in the knowledge that nobody else will be looking for it by virtue of being the only person with the requisite information.

We were treated to an ammo can with three puzzle layers - a padlock puzzle, a wooden puzzle box and then an encrypted Find Code B) The whole family got involved and really enjoyed it - and Junior learned a little of encryption so it was a learning experience also :)

As if that wasn't enough, inside the box was an unactivated 3000 finds geocoin as a gift - in recognition of our recent milestone which was very gratefully received :D

For the first time ever I've allowed my stats to differ from my actual find count - it's not something I'm comfortable with but there was no way I could turn down the opportunity once presented. Hopefully though Groundspeak will see fit to balance things properly at some point in the future.

So, for the two examples presented by LFC4eva and Team Microdot, the only difference between a traditional type of cache and the lab cache, is the "personal" nature?

In both cases, the "puzzle" involved could be integrated into a multi or a field puzzle, right?

And one that could be arm chaired logged.

So, for the two examples presented by LFC4eva and Team Microdot, the only difference between a traditional type of cache and the lab cache, is the "personal" nature?

No.

Can you expand on that "no"?

Yes. I thought the most obvious difference was that usually caches can't be taken home.

But as far as the end result, there's not much difference. THe fiunder found a box, and had to open it to claim the find. The lab cache just let them do it in the comfort of their own home.

No.

Yes. I thought the most obvious difference was that usually caches can't be taken home.

But as far as the end result, there's not much difference. THe fiunder found a box, and had to open it to claim the find. The lab cache just let them do it in the comfort of their own home.

If you like.

Not sure what your objective is.

If it's to claim that one thing is exactly like a bunch of other things by ignoring the differences between them I reckon you'll succeed :)

No.

If you like.

If it's to claim that one thing is exactly like a bunch of other things by ignoring the differences between them I reckon you'll succeed :)

I'm just trying to figure out how the lab caches allow for great creativity in the cache creation process.

No.

I see the "personal nature" and the "taking home" are part of the same thing. Because the cache was personal it allowed you the flexibility to take it home, whereas a "normal" cache would have to be worked on in the field in case someone else came to look for it in the meantime.

No.

If you like.

I'm just trying to figure out how the lab caches allow for great creativity in the cache creation process.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things:

1.) I don't have to worry about proximity issues.

2.) I don't have to worry about the "no vacation caches" guideline.

3.) I don't have to worry about long term maintenance issues.

In your position I'd probably look for an alternative strategy.

Huh?

If your strategy for figuring out how the lab caches allow for great creativity in the cache creation process, amounts to taking two similar examples from a tiny sample and looking for ways in which they don't meet your defined standard for creativity, it probably isn't going to help you to achieve your objective.

Other strategies would probably work better.

Edited by Team Microdot

No.

If you like.

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few things:

1.) I don't have to worry about proximity issues.

2.) I don't have to worry about the "no vacation caches" guideline.

3.) I don't have to worry about long term maintenance issues.

4. You can make the finder enter a business

5. You can make the finder interact with a person to get the code