LAB caches missing!

ipoded

Lab Caches do NOT show up in the statistics.

If you have 10 Lab Caches, your finds will always show 10 more finds versus the number found in your statistics page.

This is due to the experimental nature of Lab Caches. Yes...kinda annoying, but I think it is fun anyways. You can delete the Lab Caches if you want the stats to match your finds, though that will make the icon in your profile disappear.

If you have 10 Lab Caches, your finds will always show 10 more finds versus the number found in your statistics page.

This is due to the experimental nature of Lab Caches. Yes...kinda annoying, but I think it is fun anyways. You can delete the Lab Caches if you want the stats to match your finds, though that will make the icon in your profile disappear.

The LAB icon in my profile has disappeared! It used to be there with all the other icons but not anymore...

The LAB icon in my profile has disappeared! It used to be there with all the other icons but not anymore...

NOW THEY'RE BACK!!! Strange???!!!

I just logged one of the lab caches available to Premium Members in February. The new "find" appears in my totals at the top right of the page on GC.com, but when I go to my Statistics, it does not appear in my Caching Chronology nor in my Cache Types I've Found section. Even if these are experimental, they should either appear everywhere in our stats or appear in a separate manner, similar to what had happened with the failed Challenges. I understand that these caches have to be forced into GSAK to appear in those stats.

Perhaps Groundspeak could create a separate "experimental cache" section of our stats that could capture all of these finds and keep them separate from regular caches. This way, if any other experimentals go the way of the dodo and Challenges, the historical data can be preserved and viewable, but wouldn't interfere with the stats for trads, virtuals, etc.

I doubt it as Moun10Bike mentioned a few days ago that Groundspeak had limited resources.

In relation to the user voice forums. Were you on there much? I was, and understood what he means... They couldn't then, nor now, devote the time and energy to EVERY single complaint, request, improvement that came their way.

But, c'mon. You don't really think that the same lackey(s) that works on every new idea is the same 'one' that programs/fixes, etc, do you?

They can do both. And we need the to do both. Companies need to grow, adapt, change.....

Anyway. This thread is about lab caches. If you don't like their existence, then no need to respond to the thread, eh?

Edited by JesandTodd

That is the right thing to do if you only want to find geocache (listing)s. Lab caches are not standard geocaches, and shouldn't have the same geocaching 'value' placed on them, at least as far as profile statistics. They are "beta-testing" experimental containers for which you opt in to participate. If you want them in your stats where they are applicable you can leave them, else you can delete them. Easy-peasy. :grin:

That is the right thing to do if you only want to find geocache (listing)s. Lab caches are not standard geocaches, and shouldn't have the same geocaching 'value' placed on them, at least as far as profile statistics. They are "beta-testing" experimental containers for which you opt in to participate. If you want them in your stats where they are applicable you can leave them, else you can delete them. Easy-peasy. :grin:

Yes. I have heard the story that they are 'experimental'. I see nothing experimental about them. They seem to be cache types that violate the guidelines, put in place for special circumstances. "Temporary events caches' are not permissible. So, let's put them out as 'lab caches'.??? Nothing experimental. Just a way around the guidelines?

Yes. I have heard the story that they are 'experimental'. I see nothing experimental about them. They seem to be cache types that violate the guidelines, put in place for special circumstances. "Temporary events caches' are not permissible. So, let's put them out as 'lab caches'.??? Nothing experimental. Just a way around the guidelines?

No, they are intended to be experimental. Thus, "Lab". They are temporary because they are experimental. Their temporal nature may also be an aspect being tested (iirc, based on the past idea of event-specific caches that event coordinators ran allowing people to find and post numerous 'attended' logs to earn smileys for those temporary non-listed caches). The Lab container is intended to be a very simple, plain shell with which Groundspeak can test cache ideas - with the onus on the lab creators to follow the intended guidelines (eg, creating once-off caches for one special person; creating event-specific caches; etc).

Find one one month, it may not be or mean the same months down the road with the next implementation, with no record of the previous type other than your smiley and a lab +1. A lab cache is just that, and nothing more. The experience you get from doing a lab cache is not Groundspeak's problem, it's that of the person who created the listing - which can be anything from giving someone a piece of paper with the code on it (what's the point?) to very extensive cache hybrids that include the code somewhere in the cache, or as a reward for completing it, or any other idea under the sun.

The lab is a container. Nothing more, nothing less. One person's experience may be completely unlike another person's.

By finding (or creating) one, you are opting in to participate in one of Groundspeak's temporary, experimental themed cache ideas, and you can choose to have that recognized in your stats or not.

They are not standard geocache listings.

Edited by thebruce0

Went to my first Mega at w/e and happily took part in my first "Lab Cache" - which was bit of a farce TBH, as we just wandered around the showground looking at placed items (e.g. playing cards, skull, lock on a bridge railing full of locks, etc) and at each stage had to think of an associated password. Punched the PW into the "Lab Cache" app, but there was no logbook to sign - I unexpectedly ended up with an additional 10 finds on my profile!! Now I see some geocaching.com stats reflect these "10 Finds" but not other stats - then horrifyingly I found "Project-GC" doesn't show Lab Caches at all, because the data is not included in the API from Groundspeak!!! So now geocaching.com and Project-GC stats do not match by 10 finds. You can delete the Lab Cache "finds" in your geocaching.com profile, but I feel Lab Caches have not really been thought out properly by Groundspeak. Virtuals (which I enjoyed) were removed and illogical Lab Caches brought in instead. Not impressed TBH.

Either Lab Caches should be sorted & supported properly and included in the API and MyFinds stats ... or be ditched!

Either Lab Caches should be sorted & supported properly and included in the API and MyFinds stats ... or be ditched!
Or (IMHO) they could be accounted for completely separately, the way Benchmarks are, or the way Geocaching Challenges (RIP, no relation to Challenge Caches) were.