Definitely against the rules - but facinating thought...

First, use your imagination to conjure up a parallel universe where the below interesting thought be somehow magically OK. (Do not take this as a suggestion to mix OK-to-break-rules universe into our current reality. Just let imagination fly, just for awhile...)

Now, pretending for a bit we are now happily safe and playing in the sandbox of THAT other dimension, what would be like to be able to mix geocaching with this crazy idea?

There's a cool story in there, somewhere! Wish I were some sort of talented fiction writer. icon_smile.gif

-Elana (a.k.a. "Sparrowhawk")

When I lived in Alaska you could have up to 1oz of weed for personal use.

You could not buy the stuff. You could not sell the stuff. You could not grow it, or transport it.

Thus while you could own it there was no legal means for you to have acquired it for your use.

How does this relate to goecaching? The BLM often owns stranded parcels of land. The BLM allows geocaching. A cache placed there would be legitimate. However being surounded by private property you could not actually get there without permission or trespassing.

For your game that's what you do. Place caches where you can be; but not go too.

At least that's my take for this particular universe we are in.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

I went to that site and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, or anything about weed. The Alaska reference made me think of something from my childhood. In the early or mid 50's, a cereal company had an offer to own one square inch of property in Alaska. I once had a deed to one of these square inches. It may have been the Yukon Terr. of Canada instead of Alaska, I really can't remember the details, but I think it was 'gold rush' related. Does anyone have any information about this? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

How does this relate to goecaching? The BLM often owns stranded parcels of land. The BLM allows geocaching. A cache placed there would be legitimate. However being surounded by private property you could not actually get there without permission or trespassing.

For your game that's what you do. Place caches where you can be; but not go too.

At least that's my take for this particular universe we are in.

Helicopter ;-p

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

In Connecticut, the way I understand it, you aren't trespassing unless there's signage or the property owner tells you (breaking through a locked door would be "breaking and entering" instead).

So you may legally cross private property unless there are signs--which makes that website's concept a moot point here (as I understand it).

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

In the early or mid 50's, a cereal company had an offer to own one square inch of property in Alaska. I once had a deed to one of these square inches. It may have been the Yukon Terr. of Canada instead of Alaska, I really can't remember the details, but I think it was 'gold rush' related. Does anyone have any information about this? icon_biggrin.gif

These were in boxes of Nabisco Shredded Wheat, and the deeds mentioned the "Klondike Big Inch Land Company" as the previous owner. I think it was supposed to be in Alaska, but I am not certain.

Funny thing is, there is already a link to Infiltration.org. In Rochester NY you will find a cache down in the old subway tunnel, the same one described on infiltration.org. Gosh, what a strange alternative universe this is that I see...its coming true right before my eyes!

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

quote:

I went to that site and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, or anything about weed. The Alaska reference made me think of something from my childhood. In the early or mid 50's, a cereal company had an offer to own one square inch of property in Alaska. I once had a deed to one of these square inches. It may have been the Yukon Terr. of Canada instead of Alaska, I really can't remember the details, but I think it was 'gold rush' related. Does anyone have any information about this? icon_biggrin.gif

If memory serves The Santa Clause House in North Pole sells 1 square inch lots of the "North Pole". I'm not 100% on sure on the name of the store but if you ever did drive to North Pole you couldn't miss it due to the massive Santa lording over the parking lot.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Back in the late 1970s, when I lived in Alaska (Yep I am a Chilkoot), I had a four ounce jar of crude oil from the first Tanker load shipped through the Alaskan Pipeline. Although it was in a glass jar, and because of that NOT Cache ready, I feel it would have made an interesting traveller.

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen

But wait it gets better! In Colorado Springs, Colorado the parks dept. will not allow containers hidden in their parks---but you can carry concealed weapons in the parks!

I'll be watching for you from within the trees, or a cave, or under a rock, or on top of a Butte, Mesa, or a Bluff. And car lockouts are high priced and merciful on the trailhead if I have my tools, lol.

Renegade Knight

<VWhen I lived in Alaska you could have up to 1oz of weed for personal use.

You could not buy the stuff. You could not sell the stuff. You could not grow it, or transport it.

Thus while you could own it there was no legal means for you to have acquired it for your use.>

You could grow the weed, legally, in the privacy of your own home. 4 oz / 4 budding plants per adult per household. It was illegal to transport, sell or buy it.

Back to geocaching icon_smile.gif

...errr... Keypersn?... I think you lost me on what the connection is between 'concealed weapons' and 'hidden containers'. Seems like 'apples and oranges' to me... what the heck are you talking about?

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

quote:

Though Alaska may now be out of the question, you CAN buy a piece of Uranus (at www.buyuranus.com if you're interested).

geospotter

Couple of years ago I went to a Christie's auction of Russian Space Memorabilia. You could actually purchase a Lunar probe (it was already used) of some sort but had to provide your own transportaion to get it back! True Story!!

Wherever you go, there you are!

quote:

In the early or mid 50's, a cereal company had an offer to own one square inch of property in Alaska. I once had a deed to one of these square inches. It may have been the Yukon Terr. of Canada instead of Alaska, I really can't remember the details, but I think it was 'gold rush' related. Does anyone have any information about this? icon_biggrin.gif

Cholo, looks like you were roped, cause it looks fake

klondike big inch

if you want more info use dogpile dot com and search for klondike big inch land company..... there are a lot of sites....

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:

Cholo, looks like you were roped, cause it looks fake

http://www.scripophily.net/scripophily/klonbiginlan.html

From article

"And Quaker has the unhappy - and the time consuming - task of telling them that the deeds are worthless, that the Klondike Big Inch Co. no longer exists, and that the Canadian government has taken back the land."

I am going to send them an email on this claiming my land to jack with them. I will post their reponse. It is fun to mess with big corporations.

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

I am pure evil.

"Please help me. My 89 year old grandmother is claiming she has some land due to her in the Yukon that appears to have originated from your company. She continues to talk about this land and how she has wants to visit it.

She let me look at this deed to this land which she has kept at her side for the last 40 years with the promise that I would help her visit it or be buried there. I entertained her and called a Ottawa Government office and they informed me to you. I understand that Quaker Oats owned this Klondike Big Inch Land Company. This has given her hope.

Please help me understand what is going on? Does she have a valid claim? Do you have a picture that can satisfy her? She is not in good health and my brother and I think that a letter from Quaker Oats with a picture can help the situation. The irony of this is she lives a Quaker Friends nursery home and is from the Quaker - Society of Friends faith.

Thank you in advance"

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

The reply I received. It was weak. I will have to respond:

RE: Old Fashioned Quaker Oats , REF.# 4783035A

Hello Paul:

Thanks for your OatMail about Old Fashioned Quaker Oats.

During our sponsorship of the 'Sergeant Preston of the Yukon'

television series in 1954 and 1955, deeds of land issued by the Klondike Big

Inch Land Company were distributed in packages of Quaker Puffed Wheat and

Quaker Puffed Rice cereal. Some 21 millions of deeds to square inches

of land were distributed through this promotion. The real value of

these deeds now, as always, is based on the romantic appeal of being a

property owner in the fabled Yukon Territory rather than any intrinsic

value of the one inch square pieces of property. Possibly, collectors of

old premium items might be interested. Regrettably, we cannot refer

you to any collectors in particular.

We hope this information will be helpful.

Jen

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Ag:

The reply I received. It was weak. I will have to respond:

RE: Old Fashioned Quaker Oats , REF.# 4783035A

Hello Paul:

Thanks for your OatMail about Old Fashioned Quaker Oats.

During our sponsorship of the 'Sergeant Preston of the Yukon'

television series in 1954 and 1955, deeds of land issued by the Klondike Big

Inch Land Company were distributed in packages of Quaker Puffed Wheat and

Quaker Puffed Rice cereal. Some 21 millions of deeds to square inches

of land were distributed through this promotion. The real value of

these deeds now, as always, is based on the romantic appeal of being a

property owner in the fabled Yukon Territory rather than any intrinsic

value of the one inch square pieces of property. Possibly, collectors of

old premium items might be interested. Regrettably, we cannot refer

you to any collectors in particular.

We hope this information will be helpful.

Jen

Good Luck Cache Baggers

- Paul Ag

Write back:

"Thanks for the response! Interesting idea on finding a collector, but all I really need is the address to the parcel! I have sold my home and packed my bags, I'm ready to start building on my land! Will my old Subaru reach it OK, or should I invest in horses? Also, can you provide me a list of allergens common to the area? I would like to avoid seasonal Hay Fever spikes as much as possible. Is there a department store nearby where I can buy groceries and home building supplies? I'd prefer a Home Depot, but as this IS in the Klondike, a Fred Meyer or Piggly Wiggly will be find."

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

Infiltration... brings back some memories.

When I was about 12 years old, I spent a few days exploring a flood sewer that ran from Newton Center (MA) some 3 miles down to the Charles river in Waban, in the Quinobequin (sp?) reservation. It was just 6 feet in diameter. We did it all with torches made from sticks and blobs of flooring cement, which actually worked quite well. We popped out of manhole covers occasionally all through Newton, sometimes in the middle of busy intersections. Yes, I know a manhole cover weighs some 80-100 pounds.

A few years later we explored a few miles of an unused aquaduct in Natick, MA. We even went so far as to lower a Honda QA50 minibike into the tunnel to get around faster.

Stupid *** kids, we had no idea if or when the MDC or the MWRC was going to turn on the water and drown us all like rats. But it had its appeal at the time. The mere thought of it gives me the creeps now decades later.

I don't recommend it.

When I was a young adult I worked for Digital Equipment Coporation, which owned a large former woolen mill that dominates the center of Maynard, MA. We had security access 24x7 with our badges, and on a few occasions we would close a bar and then go to "the mill" and explore the lesser-known corners of the huge complex. We definitely found spots the bosses didn't even know existed...

quote:
Originally posted by Zoboomafoo:

Paul Ag's gag (I'm a poet) reminds of a book I heard about some years back now.

A guy would write these long letters to corporations, movie stars, etc, asking them the most ridiculous things.

I can't remember the title or author at the moment, but the book was a riot.

Don't know whether this is the same one but we had a guy over here called Henry Root who wrote to royalty, politicians, film stars, etc. and always enclosed a one pound note for their troubles. The book was called 'The Henry Root Letters' and, from what I remember, was hilarious icon_biggrin.gif

Andy

A guy would write these long letters to corporations, movie stars, etc, asking them the most ridiculous things.

I can't remember the title or author at the moment, but the book was a riot.

The book you might be talking about is [b]The Lazlo Letters[/b] which if I recall was done by the guy who played Father Guido Sarducci on Saturday Night Live. A more recently published book is [b]Dear Mr. Mackin[/b] written by Chris Mackin and orderable from most book stores.