Groundspeak newsletter

Simrebel

The new format really sucks , We use to get nearby events for the next 2 months or more , now only getting events for 3 days

I have had a event published for the 17th, and with last nights newsletter it only goes up to the 15th.

by the time it does make it in the newsletter, people will have already made plans for the weekend.

I used to get a list of events for all the country for several weeks / months in advance, and I could plan trips around the dates.

As above, I only find about local events by email when they are published and have no idea about any other events going on.

So much for 'improving' the weekly newsletter (amongst other things).

I hate being so negative to Groundspeak with all my recent posts, but sadly I don't seem to have much choice in the matter and it is not helped by the lack of communication from them either.

The current newsletter shows up to 10 nearby events, listed in chronological order. The newsletter I received yesterday (Monday) includes 8 flash mob events organized to get the 31 Days of August souvenirs, 1 quick lunch event organized to get the 31 Days of August souvenir, and 1 "real" event. The last event on the list is scheduled for Friday, meaning that none of the events scheduled for Saturday or Sunday made the cut.

The main reason I subscribe to the newsletter is for the list of upcoming local events. I realize that the 31 Days of August campaign has created an anomaly, so I'll keep subscribing. But it is basically useless to me right now.

Agreed, I really don't care for the abbreviation of the local event listings. It's the only reason I still get it, for events. If it's going to provide me with local events only a few days out, I'll have to start using Pocket Queries for this instead.

The problem is exacerbated by all of the "Souvenir" events that are recently published. My version of Monday's newsletter had our Wednesday M&G, which is two days out and two miles away, as the very last on the list. If one more event fifty miles away had been listed, it would not have been on my list.

We have had a flurry of Will Attends in the last three days. This would usually happen last week, but I have a feeling that it didn't make it to any of the area cachers list last week.

Really? The newsletters have been showing events that have been published for the last month. Anyway you can set up a notification for events. You get an email everyone one is published.

Basic members can't get notifications. Seeing nearby events listed and attending could be what starts the ball rolling to become a PM. The way the Newsletter is set up currently, my closest event was last on the list, and didn't even make it to last weeks newsletter because two people are stacking events 60-100 miles away.

As a basic, I get the newsletter, watching mostly for new caches (sorted by distance, nearest first). I also do it for events which are few and far between so far ( assume they are by date, then distance also number limited).

The 'few' part is helpful this week since the only local event is in there. Not much warning of course, but it is there. Would be nice if there was another way, but money is short for some of us.

Might be nice to have a limited ability to select range though, like in the cache searches page. They obviously know how since it is there. Yes it is centered on home (it seems) but in this case the range is fixed and some fall off. Most of the time we get listings well beyond 160 km.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Any Premium Member has access to the perfect tool to give themselves plenty of advance notice for any Event within 100 miles. And it doesn't take much effort to selectively expand your sphere of knowledge beyond that. Groundspeak has made the newsletter practically worthless to me. Meh. But there was one little bit of wisdom hidden in there recently, that could be adopted as the stock answer to any communication directed to Groundspeak in the form of a suggestion.

Not humanly possible, but don’t let that stop you from trying.

The newsletter isn't much help for newly published caches and events.

It is interesting for the blurb at the top, to see what priorities Groundspeak is pushing.

It's much more useful to go to your profile, and click "newest in xxx". That is updated constantly, and events are closer to home. The events are listed when they are published, and stay at the top of the list until they are concluded.

Unfortunately, the caches are listed by "date placed", and not the more helpful "published" date. I've missed seeing some new caches because the "date placed" was so much earlier than the published date. It seems rather silly to post them by "date placed".

I guess if folks want to know about mega events far away, the newsletter is helpful.

But it's not much use to me any more, with the caches and events listed being far away enough that I'm not interested in them.

Oh well.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The Weekly Newsletter is useless in its current format.

We only get notification of Local Events for the next 4 or 5 days, which is no help in planning caching trips, and means some local events don't get shown at all.

The sooner Groundspeak reverts to the old style newsletter, with events for 3 months in advance, the better.

Every communication with Paige at Groundspeak, ends with "Put it on the Forum", which is typical Groundspeak ducking the issue !!

If they can put Mega events on for a year in advance, it shouldn't be too much trouble to do events local (within 100miles) to our home coordinates.

We only get notification of Local Events for the next 4 or 5 days, which is no help in planning caching trips, and means some local events don't get shown at all.

The sooner Groundspeak reverts to the old style newsletter, with events for 3 months in advance, the better.

Every communication with Paige at Groundspeak, ends with "Put it on the Forum", which is typical Groundspeak ducking the issue !!

If they can put Mega events on for a year in advance, it shouldn't be too much trouble to do events local (within 100miles) to our home coordinates.

kudos - couldn't agree more...newsletter for the events last week was useless...read my lips Groundspeak - useless...

geez, do ya think Groundspeak even uses their own newsletter as an example to test their silly ideas? naw, they throw it out to the rest of us to do their quality control survey...

well, the results are in - failure to comply with NwOhio geocaching standards here...

If they don't respond to emails, and ignore the forums, how are we supposed to communicate with Groundspeak?

In this respect you are very correct. I haven't gotten a newsletter in several weeks, and no it doesn't end up in my spam folder. :mad:

I was sure I had posted in this thread, but I guess I was mistaken. Anyway--I have not gotten a newsletter since July 23.

My account email preferences are set to:

•I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com.

I do receive other emails from GS, i.e re my caches and trackables, items on my watch lists and bookmark lists.

They are not in my spam folder.

I have not made any changes to my email account or my geocaching account.

Is there a solution or an answer?

In this respect you are very correct. I haven't gotten a newsletter in several weeks, and no it doesn't end up in my spam folder. :mad:

I was sure I had posted in this thread, but I guess I was mistaken. Anyway--I have not gotten a newsletter since July 23.

My account email preferences are set to:

•I want to receive fun and helpful emails from Geocaching.com.

I do receive other emails from GS, i.e re my caches and trackables, items on my watch lists and bookmark lists.

They are not in my spam folder.

I have not made any changes to my email account or my geocaching account.

Is there a solution or an answer?

Not a peep from management. I'm going to check with a couple of my caching partners and see if they have been getting one.

I can't complain about the new newsletter, either. I haven't seen one in at least a month, and I also have my preferences set such that they should be arriving. In fact, have made no preferences changes in over a year.

Since we (some of us at least) are suddenly not getting the newsletters in our email, is there somewhere we can go pick them up?

AOL and Comcast began throttling the newsletter after we made our server changes. The issue with AOL was resolved this week, and we are working on the Comcast issue.

Just got my first newsletter since July 23. (I have Comcast.) Thanks for fixing this. Is there any way I can get the "back issues"?

AOL and Comcast began throttling the newsletter after we made our server changes. The issue with AOL was resolved this week, and we are working on the Comcast issue.

Just got my first newsletter since July 23. (I have Comcast.) Thanks for fixing this. Is there any way I can get the "back issues"?

Unfortunately, we have no means of delivering older versions of the newsletter.

The issue would be the customization for your locale.

I'd be down with a spot on the website that had the current and back-dated issues, with versions that were locationless. That would give us the option to opt out of email delivery altogether.

Who cares about back issues.... Just get the situation fixed. I've got Comcast and STILL DO NOT GET NEWSLETTERS! :mad:

Do not think you have the problem solved when you don't. :(

Who cares about back issues.... Just get the situation fixed. I've got Comcast and STILL DO NOT GET NEWSLETTERS! :mad:

As I mentioned, we are still working on the Comcast issue. The issue is that Comcast put us in the "spammer" bin when we switched our newsletter server (and thus IP) and then sent out millions of copies.

Hi ngrrfan,

Our IT Department is working with Comcast on our end and has let us know that it would help things along for Comcast to be hearing from their upset, paying customers...feel free to contact them and let them know that you want these IP addresses to be whitelisted, as soon as possible: 66.150.167.157, 66.150.167.158, 66.150.167.160, and 66.150.167.161

This will help expedite the process for you and the rest of the geocaching community who use Comcast.

Hi ngrrfan,

Our IT Department is working with Comcast on our end and has let us know that it would help things along for Comcast to be hearing from their upset, paying customers...feel free to contact them and let them know that you want these IP addresses to be whitelisted, as soon as possible: 66.150.167.157, 66.150.167.158, 66.150.167.160, and 66.150.167.161

This will help expedite the process for you and the rest of the geocaching community who use Comcast.

Contacted Comcast, filled out a form and submitted it, and will wait to see what happens next.

Side note:

A lot of this angst could have been avoided if we would have been informed of what the problem was.

Hi ngrrfan,

Contacted Comcast, filled out a form and submitted it, and will wait to see what happens next.

Side note:

A lot of this angst could have been avoided if we would have been informed of what the problem was.

I totally understand, ngrrfan, and I am sorry for any angst this has caused you. If you have a bug,question, or issue that you specifically would like to hear back from Geocaching HQ on, please write in to us via our help portal. You will get a much quicker response. Most of our bug reporting comes in via the Help Center and we can tabulate data more efficiently there.

Hi ngrrfan,

Thanks for the explaination. Here is the link to request Comcast whitelist the IP addresses:

http://postmaster.comcast.net/block-removal-request.html

Throttling? I guess I don't understand the meaning of that in this context. Throttling implies a restricted bandwidth. It sounds more to me as though you were blacklisted. Can you elaborate?

As I mentioned, we are still working on the Comcast issue. The issue is that Comcast put us in the "spammer" bin when we switched our newsletter server (and thus IP) and then sent out millions of copies.

Never mind previous post. I think you have clarified what has happened now.

Comcast made the 'error' of leaving a comment box at the bottom of their whitelist request form. After completing the form, including IP addresses, I took advantage of a few extra moments to provide them with a 'comment'. My text:

------------------------

Your anti-spam algorithms have blocked the weekly newsletter for tens of thousands of geocaching.com subscribers. Please get this fixed NOW before we lose any more timely information than we have already!

You let crap into my spam box constantly from a constant stream of people who are greatly concerned about my home loan, my life insurance, and my penis size. Surely if those make it through, you could see fit to allow a legitimate organization's mail to at LEAST reach my spam box?

It appears that some action has been taken by Comcast. I received stale emails (9-5-13) notifying of PQ completion. We'll see about the newsletter. Here is Comcast's response, and it appears that all 4 IP addresses are now already clear:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Customer Security Assurance. We have received and reviewed your RBL removal request.

Below each IP address you submitted in your request, we have included the result of our research. Please do not reply to this message.

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We need the IP address currently blocked to further investigate this issue. The IP address is a number separated by decimals and is located in an error code starting with "550" in the returned email from Comcast.

Please verify the IP(s) and resubmit your request to http://postmaster.comcast.net

We have received your request for removal from our inbound blocklist. After investigating the issue, we have found that the IP you provided for removal is currently not on our blocklist.

We need the IP address currently blocked to further investigate this issue. The IP address is a number separated by decimals and is located in an error code starting with "550" in the returned email from Comcast.

Please verify the IP(s) and resubmit your request to http://postmaster.comcast.net

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

It appears that some action has been taken by Comcast. I received stale emails (9-5-13) notifying of PQ completion. We'll see about the newsletter. Here is Comcast's response, and it appears that all 4 IP addresses are now already clear:

Thank you for contacting Comcast Customer Security Assurance. We have received and reviewed your RBL removal request.

Below each IP address you submitted in your request, we have included the result of our research. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,

Comcast Customer Security Assurance

That is fantastic news! Please let me know if you guys get your Weekly Mailer this week. I've got my fingers crossed! :o

Hope you all get and enjoy this weeks newsletter. It's all about how to get ideas for creating a creative caches. Of course, it is also mirrored on the blog and since it completely ignored the almost 6000 post CCC forum thread, I thought I would add that to the comments. It seems that comments are now moderated and mine somehow didn't make it. It must be lost in the nether regions of the Internet, right? Certainly Groundspeak wouldn't moderate a link to their own forums, would they?

Maybe the comment, "You must be embarrassed by your own forums", got it axed?

Hope you all get and enjoy this weeks newsletter. It's all about how to get ideas for creating a creative caches. Of course, it is also mirrored on the blog and since it completely ignored the almost 6000 post CCC forum thread, I thought I would add that to the comments. It seems that comments are now moderated and mine somehow didn't make it. It must be lost in the nether regions of the Internet, right? Certainly Groundspeak wouldn't moderate a link to their own forums, would they?

Hey Don,

So great to hear from you on here! Ben and I miss hiking with the big bunch, down there. You, my friend, are a wealth of knowledge. :) We will have to remember to share that forum thread with the people who write the blog posts around here. Such a great idea!

Thanks so much for writing in. Have a great week!

I got the same message of all IP are not being blocked.

It has gotten better, but still seems to be throttled. I'll get a message dump about every 2 hours and not all of the items. I'm still getting notifications off my watchlist and messages sent to other cachers through GC, up to 24 hours after I had sent or posted. The same goes for new cache publishes. Is Groundspeak still working with Comcast on the problem?

No newsletter as of yet.

I got the same message of all IP are not being blocked.

It has gotten better, but still seems to be throttled. I'll get a message dump about every 2 hours and not all of the items. I'm still getting notifications off my watchlist and messages sent to other cachers through GC, up to 24 hours after I had sent or posted. The same goes for new cache publishes. Is Groundspeak still working with Comcast on the problem?

No newsletter as of yet.

I am glad to hear that it is easing up a bit, but bummed it's not quite solved. Thanks for keeping us aware of what is getting through. The IT Department is still working on the issue and will be monitoring the situation until it is resolved.

Hey Don,

So great to hear from you on here! Ben and I miss hiking with the big bunch, down there. You, my friend, are a wealth of knowledge. :) We will have to remember to share that forum thread with the people who write the blog posts around here. Such a great idea!

Thanks so much for writing in. Have a great week!

Great to hear from you too. I bet you don't miss the heat. 109 last week. Makes it's hard to hike without dieing.

I think that the comment system on the blog is broke because there are no comments and the weekly newsletter always gets about 10 almost as soon as it posts. I had added a link to the Cool Cache Container thread that has hundreds maybe thousands of photos of the really creative stuff that people have done. I also added a link for the Bad Cache Container thread that shows how bad some caches can get after only a few months. I'm for anything that helps the the newbies place better caches.