What Irks you most?

Today's irk - PVC pipe geocaches. Those caps are hard to open. They are designed to be open with a pipe wrench. I don't carry a pipe wrench with me. And when you do get it open, most of the time the contents are wet.

They were a great idea back in 2001, but time has spoken and we known now that they don't work.

Around here they are affectionately known as "cliffy" tubes for the cacher who started placing them. While it's nice to find a big container, it's not so nice to open one up and find everything damp and mildewy.

I was just curious, does anyone think the trackable I made is a good idea?

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5583086

Oh, I posted this in the wrong forum. My bad, it's not a mistake I usually make.

A Geocaching sin I hate is logs that are just "TFTC" or "Thanks." Those bug the crap out of me because I feel it is influenced by my generation's obsession with smartphones.

Edited by KaRue

A Geocaching sin I hate is logs that are just "TFTC" or "Thanks." Those bug the crap out of me because I feel it is influenced by my generation's obsession with smartphones.

Groups of cachers are known to visit a famous park nearby. It has some traditionals. (Those tend not to last too long.) It has some old Vituals. Some of the COs are long gone. It has some evil Mystery Caches. Those CO's take good care of their caches. It has a 36 stage multi cache! Great cache!! And it has my Letterbox Hybrid. Some great and noteworthy caches!

Latest group: Thirteen cachers. The look to have found 23 caches. And most of the logs are boiler plate! That's really sad!

Though the best log recently was:

Nice place Found during break in a conference in tendon research at the nearby Mount Sinai Hospital. TFTC

Groups of cachers are known to visit a famous park nearby. It has some traditionals. (Those tend not to last too long.) It has some old Vituals. Some of the COs are long gone. It has some evil Mystery Caches. Those CO's take good care of their caches. It has a 36 stage multi cache! Great cache!! And it has my Letterbox Hybrid. Some great and noteworthy caches!

Latest group: Thirteen cachers. The look to have found 23 caches. And most of the logs are boiler plate! That's really sad!

Nice place Found during break in a conference in tendon research at the nearby Mount Sinai Hospital. TFTC

I wish the logs around where I live were that good. Most are either "TFTC" or a quick sentence saying they liked the cache and signed the log.

After getting more finds one of my irks are people who place micros (pill bottle or magnetic key sized) in remote spots where they could have easily used a larger more watertight container with a larger spiral bound logbook. Then they never come back and the "logbook full" comments or "wet logbook" comments pile up. Why not use a container and log that stands a chance of lasting a few years without a problem, especially when the hide was not meant to be a difficult find and is in a remote spot that will not get muggled? Some of the container choices baffle me...

Edited by sholomar

Snow in September irks me.

This photo was taken last week while I was caching in Calgary (Canada)

It's the most wonderful time of the year! :santa:

102 today, 100 tomorrow so don't knock snow. :laughing:

I'll take the 102°F (39°C) anyday... But if we ever got that hot here, I would need to get central air. Our building code is so focused are winter energy savings, my house is like a solar oven. Even on a day aroud 17°C (63°F), our house gets very warm. It just won't let go of any heat.

This has been said before, but throw-down "replacement caches" instead of an honest DNF irk me.

I recently checked a cache, found it was gone (on a second visit I discovered the container a few yards from where it should have been), and disabled it temporarily.

Then I get a Found It log: "No worries. It's still here!"

The original cache was fairly well camouflaged, although placed out in the open. I gave it a 2.5 on difficulty. The throw-down was the usual 35mm film canister, placed on top of a post and "hidden" by a couple of pebbles.

About a dozen people had struggled up a steep slope past the actual cache to log the fake one. One said it was "an easy find," which should have been a tip-off, but I figured that he was just an excellent geocacher.

Geocachers who don't retrieve trackables online when they take them out of a geocache. Also, trackable owners that don't mark their trackables as missing when informed that they are not in the geocache they are listed as being in.

About once a month I do geocaching runs that are geocaches with trackables only so that I can trade the trackables I am holding. I find that 65% to 80% of the geocaches do not have the listed trackables in them.

You can move trackables without trading.

I know I can, but then I don't have any trackables left to move.

WE pick up every TB we find and drop what we can in appropriate places. We don't trade and we always have a few with us. We do what we can to help trackables move. It would irk me if someone was keeping one of our TB's because they were waiting to trade it.

PA

While I have them they visit every cache I go to and I never keep them longer than a month. That is why I make geocaching runs that have only geocaches with trackables. If I run out of geocaches with trackables I have not found, I will start going to ones that I previously found.

This has been said before, but throw-down "replacement caches" instead of an honest DNF irk me.

I recently checked a cache, found it was gone (on a second visit I discovered the container a few yards from where it should have been), and disabled it temporarily.

Then I get a Found It log: "No worries. It's still here!"

The original cache was fairly well camouflaged, although placed out in the open. I gave it a 2.5 on difficulty. The throw-down was the usual 35mm film canister, placed on top of a post and "hidden" by a couple of pebbles.

About a dozen people had struggled up a steep slope past the actual cache to log the fake one. One said it was "an easy find," which should have been a tip-off, but I figured that he was just an excellent geocacher.

We have replaced some containers we know are gone, but not finds like mentioned in the quote above. There are some caches around us that I think are good caches or in cool spots but the CO's are long gone. If we notice a container has several DNF's and is in an area where I drive by it at work (on road all the time) I will check it, if I am sure it is gone I will usually post an Archive request. But a few of them I have replaced just because I liked the cache. I guess that is not really a "throw down" though, I don't carry throw down containers around. I only had one of our caches replaced with a throw down; it was by a long-time cacher I know and the original container was there too, it is just hard to find. The throw down had some "found it" logs and I didn't realize it had been replaced until one of them posted a picture of the container and it wasn't mine.

Replying to the last post it made me think of something that seems to be happening more and more with these young kid cachers lately; at least to some of my cachers anyway. It Irks both of us when someone hunts down one of our caches and then takes a picture of the container IN IT'S HIDING SPOT!! I think pictures are cool, and I don't mind a picture of the container so much, but don't take a picture of the container in its hiding spot in a way that shows every future cacher exactly how and where to find it. If I wanted that done I would do it myself and then make the difficulty a 1.

Does anyone else delete those kind of pictures from there cache page? We do on some of our caches and always put a very nice explanation in the delete log so the person who posted understands why.

Replying to the last post it made me think of something that seems to be happening more and more with these young kid cachers lately; at least to some of my cachers anyway. It Irks both of us when someone hunts down one of our caches and then takes a picture of the container IN IT'S HIDING SPOT!! I think pictures are cool, and I don't mind a picture of the container so much, but don't take a picture of the container in its hiding spot in a way that shows every future cacher exactly how and where to find it. If I wanted that done I would do it myself and then make the difficulty a 1.

Does anyone else delete those kind of pictures from there cache page? We do on some of our caches and always put a very nice explanation in the delete log so the person who posted understands why.

It is a bizarre Catch22. It is like pulling teeth to get people to post pictures, then when they due, they are spoilers. Argg...

PS, I don't seem to have too much trouble with spoilers on my caches.

My generation seems quite guilty of this. Whenever I post a photo of me with the cache, I move away from the hiding place a take it there. Only once have I posted the actual hiding location, and that's when the cache page specifically said that it encouraged spoiler photos.

My generation seems quite guilty of this. Whenever I post a photo of me with the cache, I move away from the hiding place a take it there. Only once have I posted the actual hiding location, and that's when the cache page specifically said that it encouraged spoiler photos.

11 year cacher here, and I can tell you that posting spoilers has ALWAYS been a "newbie thing". However, early in my career, it was most often manifested in written form. You know, once upon a time, every other cache log wasn't three words thumbed out on a smartphone. :D

If it seems like there are a lot of newbie spoiler pictures of late, I'd attribute it to the ease of uploading it (yup sonny, we used to have to go home and plug in our digital camera), and the shear numbers of "newbies" in the smartphone area, as opposed to any given time before that era.

Oh, per what I've quoted, don't know, I've never had one posted to one of my caches.

11 year cacher here, and I can tell you that posting spoilers has ALWAYS been a "newbie thing". However, early in my career, it was most often manifested in written form. You know, once upon a time, every other cache log wasn't three words thumbed out on a smartphone. :D

If it seems like there are a lot of newbie spoiler pictures of late, I'd attribute it to the ease of uploading it (yup sonny, we used to have to go home and plug in our digital camera), and the shear numbers of "newbies" in the smartphone area, as opposed to any given time before that era.

Oh, per what I've quoted, don't know, I've never had one posted to one of my caches.

I took a picture that was part of the answer to a puzzle cache. I think I had under 10 finds at the time.

I took a picture that was part of the answer to a puzzle cache. I think I had under 10 finds at the time.

Sometimes when I'm stumped on a cache, I guiltily look through the images to see if anyone has posted a spoiler of the container or the location :unsure:

Sometimes when I'm stumped on a cache, I guiltily look through the images to see if anyone has posted a spoiler of the container or the location :unsure:

Really? I look through them before I even get to GZ.

I thought checking the hint before getting to GZ was bad enough, as I've gotten yelled at for that. Checking pictures is usually an act of desperation.

I thought checking the hint before getting to GZ was bad enough, as I've gotten yelled at for that. Checking pictures is usually an act of desperation.

I think you could add that to your Irk list. "Getting yelled at by CO for checking the hint 'to early'."

No, the yelling is from the girlfriend who thinks checking the hint before spending a full 5 minutes looking is cheating. :P

No, the yelling is from the girlfriend who thinks checking the hint before spending a full 5 minutes looking is cheating. :P
Different strokes, and all that.

I can speak from experience, as someone who prefers huckle buckle beanstalk style group caching, and who likes to make an earnest search without the hint before reading the hint, that it can be irksome to go geocaching with a group that plays three musketeers style, and that reads the hints while still on the way to GZ.

I've never been one to use boilerplate logs, but I admit to once being guilty of not being as thorough with them as I should be. Then I hid some caches on an island. I figured they'd provide folks with a different kind of experience. The type that might produce some interesting logs. Instead, I've seen far more copy/paste logs than I expected. It just seems to me that if finding the caches required you to get in a boat or kayak (and it's not a power trail), then you'd almost have to do more than cut and paste.

Anyway, since then I've tried to be a bit more expressive with my logs, when appropriate. If someone has clearly put solid effort into the placement, then it deserves a solid write-up, IMHO.

It just seems to me that if finding the caches required you to get in a boat or kayak (and it's not a power trail), then you'd almost have to do more than cut and paste.

If only :rolleyes:

We live in a faster/better/cheaper world and this manifests itself - or at least the faster/cheaper aspects in the world of geocaching - usually as people finding the fastest and cheapest way to get their sig on your log and claim their smiley.

And if you create something where the sig can only be had through real, genuine effort you end up with a sea of complaints from those who can't get their sig on the log - and perhaps slightly better logs from those that can.

Happy days :rolleyes:

Where I think this type of person misses out though is that even if they had great memories of the caches they've found - those memories fade and can't be refreshed - because they didn't write anything meaningful about it.

When I read back through some of my logs I'm so very glad that I took the time to capture some of the essence of those experiences so that I can recall them vividly and enjoy them again on playback B)

people not maintaining there caches...i recently did a multi in a cemetery and we spend almost an hour looking for the final cache. then i looked at the post again online and nobody had logged it for over 2 years. as a CO, you shouldn't place caches if you can't keep up on them.

I agree. Especially if the cache has been getting regular visits, then suddenly nothing for months. It's worth checking even if there are no DNFs. It's one thing if the cache is on top of a mountain where it requires a half day hike to get to and only gets one or two finds a year. But a cemetery? They are usually easily accessible. It shouldn't be too hard for the CO to go visit the cache once a year just to be sure it's still in good shape.

Why wouldn't we expect the seekers of the caches to log their DNF to give the CO a heads-up that something might be amiss? Why do you expect the COs to closely monitor all their hides to detect a missing cache? That is what DNFs are for!

There is no shame in DNFs. Post them!

- Hi, I'm new here to posting on the GS forum! This one caught my attention because of my most recent experience. I'm not happy with my latest encounter.

I DO post my DNFs now, since May 2014.

-In the area I'm in now, some COs haven't been taking care of the caches for years and still even after a bunch of DNFs haven't dropped by to check on it or have local friends that could help them out. (I don't mind lending a hand - that's why we have Geocaching community FB pages, so we can reach out to the community for support/help). If I know where the cache is when they post a quick note saying it needs help and I have the materials; I will respond to the post and drop by to make the fix!

-Well, I posted this experience on our community FB page about care and maintenance and used this one as the example and the CO was protected by the community(I'm the new freak, so no surprise. I guess that just makes me the new local area a--hole). I was told they have small children and live over an hour away. While I'm a parent myself with a full time job, I understand this factor in life. (Most importantly - like them, I'm busy and have a life as well. I honestly don't like my time wasted). I understand the hunt and the game can be difficult at times.

Direct contact by email with CO. On try one - I sent a kind email. I was encouraged to try again. I have sent a follow up email - kind as well. CO admitted they haven't been in the area in quite a while.

While this communication is recommended - it is very aggravating to spend hours and still come up empty handed after a second try and a three hour search. I took pictures, about ten to help the CO determine if the cache was in tact or not.

-I understand having small children is time consuming, I understand living far away from a cache. I have folks in TX I can call on the drop of a dime to care for an out of state cache I support and claim. Replacement parts are in my dad's truck. I also can check on the way home from work or by the weekend on other caches nearby my home. I understand with something like this (a five mile walk) it needs to be given a while. What is the recommended wait - a few months? But wasn't 2 years a while enough from the last DNF?

-Also when I moved away from my last location, we transferred caches on to new COs. If it isn't something you want to do anymore - please give it a new home owner vice keeping the claim! Write a note on the cache page asking for someone locally to take it over as a CO if you cant get to it within reason. Better yet, post it on the local FB page. We all have things in life that happen to us. I had a major car accident last year and wasn't able to get to any of mine. Geo-buddies made the difference ad helped me get them transferred over. T-boned at 55 mph.

- Is this not part of the agreement as a CO? It definitely spoils the game and after a 5 mile walk in the woods over fallen trees(where a tornado came through) it's very disheartening and Very frustrating...

people not maintaining there caches...i recently did a multi in a cemetery and we spend almost an hour looking for the final cache. then i looked at the post again online and nobody had logged it for over 2 years. as a CO, you shouldn't place caches if you can't keep up on them.

I agree. Especially if the cache has been getting regular visits, then suddenly nothing for months. It's worth checking even if there are no DNFs. It's one thing if the cache is on top of a mountain where it requires a half day hike to get to and only gets one or two finds a year. But a cemetery? They are usually easily accessible. It shouldn't be too hard for the CO to go visit the cache once a year just to be sure it's still in good shape.

Why wouldn't we expect the seekers of the caches to log their DNF to give the CO a heads-up that something might be amiss? Why do you expect the COs to closely monitor all their hides to detect a missing cache? That is what DNFs are for!

There is no shame in DNFs. Post them!

- Hi, I'm new here to posting on the GS forum! This one caught my attention because of my most recent experience. I'm not happy with my latest encounter.

I DO post my DNFs now, since May 2014. ...

It seams that you are already going above and beond what is expected. This guy with kids, living 1h away...? Well lots of us have kids. I have 4 kids, 1 of which has autism spectrum disorder. I still manage to maintain my caches. Like you suggest, I have adopted out caches that I could no longer maintain due to distance from my home/work. This other guy should either archive this cache or adopt it out. There is no excuse for long term non-maintanence.

- Is this not part of the agreement as a CO? It definitely spoils the game and after a 5 mile walk in the woods over fallen trees(where a tornado came through) it's very disheartening and Very frustrating...

I'm glad they have so many excuses, and I'm glad they have so many friends willing to make excuses for them. As you so ably point out, those excuses have zero bearing on the fact that the cache isn't being maintained. I would be irked, too.

So we agree it's a shame, even a disgrace, that a cache with known issues isn't being maintained. But on the other hand, I encourage you to focus on the pleasure of your 5 mile walk and treat the lack of a find as a missed opportunity to make the experience even better, not as a frustrating failure that takes value away from the trip itself.

I'm glad they have so many excuses, and I'm glad they have so many friends willing to make excuses for them. As you so ably point out, those excuses have zero bearing on the fact that the cache isn't being maintained. I would be irked, too.

So we agree it's a shame, even a disgrace, that a cache with known issues isn't being maintained. But on the other hand, I encourage you to focus on the pleasure of your 5 mile walk and treat the lack of a find as a missed opportunity to make the experience even better, not as a frustrating failure that takes value away from the trip itself.

* Thank you for the perspective! It was a very beautiful day! I got some fantastic pictures of the trees changing colors. Something I haven't experienced in years! Have a great day!

Edited by Brownie Family

What irks me most is trails with long names that don't show up in full on my GPSr, the sort that are like: "My super power trail on the moon - animal", where the first part "My super power trail on the moon" is repeated and the only difference is the last word or two. It makes it really difficult to manage on my GPSr when they all appear to have the same name!

Geo-hubby doesn't mind burning up his phone battery and using his data but I have a company phone and cannot do that, so I need to use the GPSr.

What irks me most is trails with long names that don't show up in full on my GPSr, the sort that are like: "My super power trail on the moon - animal", where the first part "My super power trail on the moon" is repeated and the only difference is the last word or two. It makes it really difficult to manage on my GPSr when they all appear to have the same name!

Geo-hubby doesn't mind burning up his phone battery and using his data but I have a company phone and cannot do that, so I need to use the GPSr.

Maybe you need a new company, my company phone is unlimited text, data and calling in both the US and Canada.

I have a few things that irk me, but far and away, the biggest one is cachers not posting DNFs.!!!!!

What is is anyway? Some immature fear of admitting you can't find it?

GROW UP!

Post your DNFs!

I post maybe half my DNFs, not because of some immature fear of admitting I can't find it, but due to two different reasons, sometimes I can't even remember which cache I DNFed and sometimes I'm too lazy to log it.

As for GROWing UP! It's overrated.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Why would someone yell at you for being smart?

Yeah, I hate that. It was worse when I first started: back in 2010, the PN-40 software would forget all but one of any series that had the first so many characters the same. Confused the dickens out of me when I rushed out for FTF on a new series in my neighborhood and discovered my GPSr was only showing me a single cache even though I'd downloaded all 3. I was glad when they sorted that out.

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Why would someone yell at you for being smart?

That makes sense if your goal is to accomplish a specific task as easily and as quickly as possible.

Not everyone approaches geocaching that way.

I have a few things that irk me, but far and away, the biggest one is cachers not posting DNFs.!!!!!

GROW UP!

Post your DNFs!

There's a local cacher here that never posts DNFs...instead mentioning in his found it logs that he'd been there before and couldn't find it. The funny thing is he's actually complained about others not posting DNFs, but I didn't have the heart to call him out on that.

GROW UP!

Post your DNFs!

There's a local cacher here that never posts DNFs...instead mentioning in his found it logs that he'd been there before and couldn't find it. The funny thing is he's actually complained about others not posting DNFs, but I didn't have the heart to call him out on that.

I know the feeling. I can understand not posting one on some occasions, i.e. you know the cache is there but were trying to find it in the dark and decided to wait till daylight, but most of them should be posted.

I usually check the hint for most caches before GZ also

I know the feeling. I can understand not posting one on some occasions, i.e. you know the cache is there but were trying to find it in the dark and decided to wait till daylight, but most of them should be posted.

Why wouldn't you post a DNF for that? DNFs do not subtract from your find total. They are just records of your experience for you, the CO, and other to read. If you did it, why wouldn't you want a record of that?

here is a typical DNF log in this case

Did Not Find It - Forgot my flashlight. Will come back in the daylight

Why wouldn't you post a DNF for that? DNFs do not subtract from your find total. They are just records of your experience for you, the CO, and other to read. If you did it, why wouldn't you want a record of that?

here is a typical DNF log in this case

Did Not Find It - Forgot my flashlight. Will come back in the daylight

I think some people see DNFs as both a personal and a community feature. If they see it more as a community feature, a DNF for a non-attempt serves no purpose for the cache owner or the community. It tells them nothing about the cache. But I understand why you would log a DNF for your personal reasons. as part of your cache history.

I think some people see DNFs as both a personal and a community feature. If they see it more as a community feature, a DNF for a non-attempt serves no purpose for the cache owner or the community. It tells them nothing about the cache. But I understand why you would log a DNF for your personal reasons. as part of your cache history.

The "serves no purpose" argument I think is misguided. It is just as purpose-full as any other part of the reporting system. It lets the CO know that people are interested, and are attempting to find it. It lets other cachers know that in the dark, you will probably need a flashlight.

The "serves no purpose" argument I think is misguided. It is just as purpose-full as any other part of the reporting system. It lets the CO know that people are interested, and are attempting to find it. It lets other cachers know that in the dark, you will probably need a flashlight.

Never occurred to me that if it is dark I need some form of illumination. Good thing someone is around to tell me that

I'm not all that bent out of shape by someone logging a DNF for a non attempt, although I personally don't think a DNF should be logged if you didn't even look! I feel it should be reserved for actually looking for the cache and not being able to find it. Otherwise, a note would serve to keep a record of your visit without putting up a blue face that might indicate a problem of some sort with the cache. However, that's just my opinion and I'd much rather see DNF icons, and then, when I check over the cache page, read that it was a non attempt, than have people not post DNF at all!!!

I'm not all that bent out of shape by someone logging a DNF for a non attempt, although I personally don't think a DNF should be logged if you didn't even look! I feel it should be reserved for actually looking for the cache and not being able to find it. Otherwise, a note would serve to keep a record of your visit without putting up a blue face that might indicate a problem of some sort with the cache. However, that's just my opinion and I'd much rather see DNF icons, and then, when I check over the cache page, read that it was a non attempt, than have people not post DNF at all!!!

Exactly. Don't post a DNF if you didn't look. It only serves to cast a negative light on the cache. People who post a DNF if they hit 'go' on their GPS 10 miles away, got a flat, then went home are being obsessive to the detriment of the cache. This can lead to the cache getting archived down the road while still being there.

I received notice today of an archived cache, http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18BB6_roller-coaster-road-cache

Looking at the logs, I see no reason that cache should have been archived. Sure it had two DNFs and hasn't been found in years. Look at the last 2 DNFs, they admit to not looking thoroughly. Read down further, it has had other DNFs as well then found by others. Just two DNFs can get your cache archived without anyone asking for maintenance or archive.

Exactly. Don't post a DNF if you didn't look. It only serves to cast a negative light on the cache. People who post a DNF if they hit 'go' on their GPS 10 miles away, got a flat, then went home are being obsessive to the detriment of the cache. This can lead to the cache getting archived down the road while still being there.

I received notice today of an archived cache, http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18BB6_roller-coaster-road-cache

Looking at the logs, I see no reason that cache should have been archived. Sure it had two DNFs and hasn't been found in years. Look at the last 2 DNFs, they admit to not looking thoroughly. Read down further, it has had other DNFs as well then found by others. Just two DNFs can get your cache archived without anyone asking for maintenance or archive.

Well, there's two things there. Usually, reviewers give a grace period for the owner to respond to (like a month), before archiving. Also, that reviewer said that they'd be willing to unarchive the cache page if the cache was fixed and the cache still met the guidelines.

I don't think that people should be afraid to post a dnf if their dnf standards don't match other people's standards. That just leads to dnfs not being posted, which can also have negative affects.