What Irks you most?

I'm new but I already have an irk.

Most of the bigger caches I've found have been full of junk, and I mean expired coupons (from 2013) and just trash (IMO). Used erasers, chewed up pencils, business cards etc. I don't get it. A bag full of small toys can be bought at the dollar tree so what gives? I think that's perfectly acceptable swag.

Most of the bigger caches I've found have been full of junk, and I mean expired coupons (from 2013) and just trash (IMO). Used erasers, chewed up pencils, business cards etc. I don't get it. A bag full of small toys can be bought at the dollar tree so what gives? I think that's perfectly acceptable swag.

How new are these caches? A good urban or semi-urban cache can get looted down to scraps and junk in one or two months. Swag maintenance is prohibitively expensive in many cases. Not many people can afford to keep up with the swag looters.

No effort logs.. YOu do NOt have to write me a book.. BUT I worked toplace a cache for you and I get ' FOUND ' or ' TFTC '

or recently on a series, a string of " . " geeez Thanks so much for your appreciation .

I agree wholeheartedly. This is just getting worse all the time. Lately I have been getting logs without any comment at all.

This could be people using the same type of gps I have. You log your find directly on the gps, and then you can add pretyped messages. To actually type out a message is a painstaking process of scrolling and clicking, LOL! That is why I try to go back and type in my logs at my home base. Or it could be new geocachers who don't realize it's polite to log more.

Nope. It's being lazy, plain and simple. If they actually care to write a log, they'll do it on the GPS/phone, or wait until they get to a computer. I personally don't buy any reason not to write a proper log. The ability is there-if it was supposed to be TFTC, then we wouldn't have the ability to change it now would we? Come to think of it, we wouldn't even have to type it out-it would be done automagically for a found log.

Well there is one time when TFTC is ok-and that's for amazingly crappy caches. The cardboard box, held closed with tape, and poor co-ords, just basically thrown down caches. At least a bison tube in a tree is an attempt at a water resistant container hidden somewhere. And even then I would say more then TFTC.

How new are these caches? A good urban or semi-urban cache can get looted down to scraps and junk in one or two months. Swag maintenance is prohibitively expensive in many cases. Not many people can afford to keep up with the swag looters.

I'm wondering if they mean that visitors should be trading fairly.

I'm wondering if they mean that visitors should be trading fairly.

Exactly. Do people actually carry junk around to leave in caches? When something like that is found, you know that many people contributed to it over time. Why? Is there an urge to leave something useless, greater than the urge to leave nothing? Somehow does this make it seem okay? I'd rather find an empty box with 2 good items than a pile of crap.

This could be people using the same type of gps I have. You log your find directly on the gps, and then you can add pretyped messages. To actually type out a message is a painstaking process of scrolling and clicking, LOL! That is why I try to go back and type in my logs at my home base. Or it could be new geocachers who don't realize it's polite to log more.

It's not critical to log from the field (or forest, or parking lot). It's okay for a cacher to wait until they get home at the end of the day if that means a longer, more descriptive log. Even trackables won't blow up if they are logged the next day.

It's not critical to log from the field (or forest, or parking lot). It's okay for a cacher to wait until they get home at the end of the day if that means a longer, more descriptive log. Even trackables won't blow up if they are logged the next day.

I wouldn't be surprised if before the invent of the iPhone app one could make a decent living looting caches.

When people log broken webcam cache and delete fake found it logs on their own caches. Dont be that guy!

Why is it a problem for someone to delete a fake found it on their own cache? I'm not sure how a CO would know it's a fake but, if he did......

When people log broken webcam cache and delete fake found it logs on their own caches. Dont be that guy!

Why is it a problem for someone to delete a fake found it on their own cache? I'm not sure how a CO would know it's a fake but, if he did......

Methinks the problem is the combination - logging fake Found Its on broken webcams, yet deleting fake Found Its on one's own cache. That's hypocrisy.

I don't like nanos/micros... really anything smaller than a 30-day prescription bottle (assuming you're not on 4 gazillion mg of giant potassium pills because that would be a huge bottle) just doesn't seem worth my time. I can't write small enough to write on the logs, there's nothing interesting inside them, and they're usually in boring, uninspired places like parking lots and the side of a road. I have seen a couple nanos/micros that made me smile... just because they were really creative hides. But otherwise, blah, don't even want to find it. That's just an irk though, what really drives me nuts is when people miscategorize the size of a cache, because sometimes I look for certain size caches (say, to drop a TB or something). If you post a small that's really a micro and don't note what the container is, I can't put what I wanted to put in it. If you hide a small (pill bottle/small lock n lock) size but list it as a micro, I'll likely never find it because I tend to ignore micros. I wish there were some larger caches around, I like to exchange swag, and if I come across a lackluster cache I'll usually throw in a couple things to 'upgrade' the swag. I've even got trinkets for pill bottles... that AREN'T pennies. Oy, I do not need pennies... unless they're like, super rare misprints worth a trillion dollars... that I could use.

First Ever post to the Geocaching forum but I love this topic because I have a lot of "Irks". Here they are are. If my feloow cachers out there know of specific Forum topics that might address any of these please feel free to let me know. I'd appreciate it.

1. Muggles! And I actually clasify anyone not will to Pay to play as muggles. I believe the whole geocaching experience is too wide open for anyone who has a smart phone (which is everyone these days) and can download a free Geo App. My theory, Those that are willing to pay, generally tend to take Geocaching more serious and are more responsible with care of caches, swag trading, etc.

2. Cache Owners who put out so many cache sites they can't possibly maintain them well. Add to that Cache owners who get offended when they have countless maintenance logs, fail to take any action, then pitch a hissy when you Archive their site. I hate, hate, hate, spending my time planning and searching for a cache site only to find it neglected.

3. Along the same lines as #2...Cache owners who will not log missing trackables from their sites. Ughh... Just laziness! and I hate that. If a Trackable has been missing from your cache for more than three months, you know it, log it out or I'll Archive your freakin cache to get your attention. I've got a CO owner now who has 4 trackables listed that have been missing for over a year!! I've sent them a request to log these out but they still sit there drawing other cachers in hoping to find these.

4. Poor Swag traders! Kind of goes back to #1. Muggles tend to be the worst about understanding about swag and trading but then I've had Premium members who have left items such as spoons, lug nuts, a washer, and even a used sticker off their kids shirt after school! (Yes, that actually happend then they got mad at me for calling them out on something so lame.)

5. Last...all the little dinky micro caches out there taking up a great area for larger more interesting caches. Now don't get me wrong I like Micros and Nanos when they fit the area. I had a Nano in an urban setting that gave me a real fit to find but ti was fun because of it's location and it challenged me. If you've got a large farm, nature area, or park, try to be creative and do more than just a lame film canister. Heck, a trained monkey could do that much.

Ok...That's enough for now.. Thanks!!

1. Muggles! And I actually clasify anyone not will to Pay to play as muggles. I believe the whole geocaching experience is too wide open for anyone who has a smart phone (which is everyone these days) and can download a free Geo App. My theory, Those that are willing to pay, generally tend to take Geocaching more serious and are more responsible with care of caches, swag trading, etc.

This disgraceful attitude irks me.

#2...Cache owners who will not log missing trackables from their sites. Ughh... Just laziness! and I hate that. If a Trackable has been missing from your cache for more than three months, you know it, log it out or I'll Archive your freakin cache to get your attention.

First off, you can't archive a cache.

You'd place an NA on a cache simply because a trackable's not in it?

- You must be popular...

I check for trackables when I do maintenance on the hide, not when someone playing a side game says they can't find it.

- I'll notify the TO first and if no response in a week or two, mark it myself.

I like ammo cans. Many times when someone mentions in a log that the trackables missing, it's stuck on the sides or lid.

But then you say...

Muggles tend to be the worst about understanding about swag and trading but then I've had Premium members who have left items such as spoons, lug nuts, a washer, and even a used sticker off their kids shirt after school! (Yes, that actually happend then they got mad at me for calling them out on something so lame.)

- There goes that theory...

4. Poor Swag traders! Kind of goes back to #1. Muggles tend to be the worst about understanding about swag and trading but then I've had Premium members who have left items such as spoons, lug nuts, a washer, and even a used sticker off their kids shirt after school! (Yes, that actually happend then they got mad at me for calling them out on something so lame.)
Oooh! I'd love to find one of Iron Chef's spoons. I'd trade for that in a heartbeat! Edited by niraD

I just discovered I'm a muggle and I'M LOVING IT!!!

Just for clarification, do you mean someone who has never paid to play or who currently does not pay to play? Please say the latter 'cause I'd hate to lose my muggle status.

Well that only took one day to be debunked. :P The person who double logged one of my caches today with 13 finds (now 12, because I deleted one) is a Premium Member. One was about 6 words, the other one was TFTC. Guess which one I deleted? :lol:

Well that only took one day to be debunked. :P The person who double logged one of my caches today with 13 finds (now 12, because I deleted one) is a Premium Member. One was about 6 words, the other one was TFTC. Guess which one I deleted? :lol:

That was debunked within that same post. :laughing:

People who move our cache containers away from where they were originally hidden because they think it is oh so cooler to put it over in the spot THEY would have hid it in! blink.gifOkay it's like this, we hid that cache container there because it is OUR cache and WE decided to hide it in that specific location. When someone finds a cache in spot "A" what in the Sam heel motivates them to move it to spot "B" because they think that spot is cooler than the spot we hid it in?? Now I am not talking about someone coming upon a cache that is obviously in the wrong spot because it is lying out in the open, oh no no no am talking about the cacher couple who locates one of our caches in spot "A" and one says to the other "Hey Sue, wouldn't this cache have been cool if it was over there in spot B"? "Why yes Bob it would, lets just put it over there where WE think it should be".huh.gif Seriously?????? If we wanted it there we would have hidden it there in the first place!

Or how about the cache couple that finds one of our caches that is deliberately in a tough spot to get to? I can almost hear their conversation, "dagnabbit it Jane it sure was hard to get that cache out of there wasn't it, slap wore me out". "Well Bob, just toss it over thar on the ground in the shrubs and make it easier for the next cacher". "Dagnabbit you knocked the lid off when you threw it! Oh well don't worry about it lets just hope it doesn't rain and get our business cards all wet".

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

What really irks me is that this thread has reached 19 pages, come on, do we really hate geocaching that much?

Dude, we don't hate geocaching, we hate each other.

This.

Yes, that really irks me when people hate each other.

Makes me want to go out hiking in the woods for a while..

What really irks me is that this thread has reached 19 pages, come on, do we really hate geocaching that much?

This.

Unless there's micros in those woods. Then that would irk me. :blink:

• Upvote 1

just yesterday we went to a park that had two caches that had travel bugs listed in them. one had been busted open and everything was gone. the other had been taken all together. the owners have been told about it and done nothing to fix or replace them. that bothers me the most!!!!

Edited by gonzogunner

just yesterday we went to a park that had two caches that had travel bugs listed in them. one had been busted open and everything was gone. the other had been taken all together. the owners have been told about it and done nothing to fix or replace them. that bothers me the most!!!!

Bugs me too, but curious...

What was the difference between the two and one whos container you replaced (Camoed pill bottle with log in plastic bag)?

A few in that area haven't signed in for a year. Can't respond if no longer here... NA.

One was notified yesterday, with a NM placed today. How soon does one need to respond? One day?

What was the difference between the two and one whos container you replaced (Camoed pill bottle with log in plastic bag)?

A few in that area haven't signed in for a year. Can't respond if no longer here... NA.

One was notified yesterday, with a NM placed today. How soon does one need to respond? One day?

I have turned in several and sent emails to the owners. the ones I put in yesterday for needing repair had been logged several times for it after we found it and looked at it. so they know. the other one I think we were the first ones not to find it. if somebody is active they should respond in less than 5 days. if no response by then take the cache out of the system. our local guy is pretty fast at yanking a cache if it isn't right. the sad thing is the ones we found yesterday that were torn up or totally missing had trackables in them. they don't destroy any of the regular ones with trade items in them it seems. just the trackables.

Edited by gonzogunner

I have turned in several and sent emails to the owners. the ones I put in yesterday for needing repair had been logged several times for it after we found it and looked at it. so they know. the other one I think we were the first ones not to find it. if somebody is active they should respond in less than 5 days.

5 days is a bit short. I've got a business trip coming up where I'll be away for 2 weeks. If something comes up with one of my caches I ought to be able to log in and disable the cache but it could be at least a couple of weeks before I could do any repairs. In the fall, I'll be going to Africa for 10-14 days. There are a lot of places where internet connectivity is marginal at best so I might not even be able to respond with an owner log in 5 days. Sometimes "real life" takes precedence over this silly game.

I have turned in several and sent emails to the owners. the ones I put in yesterday for needing repair had been logged several times for it after we found it and looked at it. so they know. the other one I think we were the first ones not to find it. if somebody is active they should respond in less than 5 days.

5 days is a bit short. I've got a business trip coming up where I'll be away for 2 weeks. If something comes up with one of my caches I ought to be able to log in and disable the cache but it could be at least a couple of weeks before I could do any repairs. In the fall, I'll be going to Africa for 10-14 days. There are a lot of places where internet connectivity is marginal at best so I might not even be able to respond with an owner log in 5 days. Sometimes "real life" takes precedence over this silly game.

hey I understand. I sent a email to a mod about one in Chattanooga. I had planned to replace the missing cache with a new camoed pill bottle. he said if the owner hasn't replaced it 30 days I could take it over I believe. I have no problem with that. I live in Kentucky but I have to travel with work to Chattanooga Tennessee almost ever day because i'm a locomotive engineer with the railroad. I have replaced leaking containers down there, I have replaced logs down there so why not take over somebodies old cache they no longer take care off. they did all the work, i'll just have to replace the container and add a new log. it still erks me that people steal the caches!!

hey I understand. I sent a email to a mod about one in Chattanooga. I had planned to replace the missing cache with a new camoed pill bottle. he said if the owner hasn't replaced it 30 days I could take it over I believe. I have no problem with that. I live in Kentucky but I have to travel with work to Chattanooga Tennessee almost ever day because i'm a locomotive engineer with the railroad. I have replaced leaking containers down there, I have replaced logs down there so why not take over somebodies old cache they no longer take care off. they did all the work, i'll just have to replace the container and add a new log. it still erks me that people steal the caches!!

If the owner hasn't replaced it you won't be able to adopt the existing cache unless they initiate the adoption process. You'd have to wait for the reviewer to archive the cache, then you can submit a listing for new cache in the same location. I assume that if you're replacing containers that you're contacting the cache owner before you do?

I spent a long weekend in Chattanooga about 20 years ago doing some kayaking. It's a beautiful part of the country.

If the owner hasn't replaced it you won't be able to adopt the existing cache unless they initiate the adoption process. You'd have to wait for the reviewer to archive the cache, then you can submit a listing for new cache in the same location. I assume that if you're replacing containers that you're contacting the cache owner before you do?

I spent a long weekend in Chattanooga about 20 years ago doing some kayaking. It's a beautiful part of the country.

oh yes I email the cache owners on the site and tell them I replaced leaking or broken caches. I just replaced one tonight somebody had broken in half and one that had two soaking wet logs. the same guy had set each of them out. I told him one was broken in half and the other was leaking badly. I did save the logs from the one leaking and placed them in the new container and put the new log in a fresh medical sealed baggy(not sure there is a difference in the baggies). I kept the leaking container and told him if he wanted it returned I would meet him someplace or tell him how to get to my home to see to it that it is returned to him.

here is something else that irk's me!!!! in our area we have a bunch of caches that are clearly marked need repairs!!!! have been for several monthes, and nobody is doing anything to see they are repaired or archiving them. I know I checked all mine (two published and one waiting) because the county had inmates weed eating the roadsides today. I keep mine up and running!! if they get low on trade items I fill them back up and log it as freshly loaded. hey i'm 40 and have a 10 year old stepson, 3 year old daughter and a old lady that fusses because I wake up every day(no other reason)!! LOL!!!!!!! if I can keep mine up and I have 5 more that i'm checking for a few more weeks to turn in to register(I make sure the gps readings are dead nuts on all mine) why can't other people keep them up or mods archive them?

This.

Unless there's micros in those woods. Then that would irk me. :blink:

They don't irk me anymore. Anything at all in the woods is fine with me. Lifting a lamppost skirt and finding a cylinder wrapped in duct tape, strongly resembling a pipe bomb is a little irksome, like punishment for being there in the first place. You know everyone assumes it's a geocache, but how do they really know? One day a geocacher may just call in a geocache as a pipe bomb. Perhaps it's best to play it safe...:D Hi officer I'm geocaching, but I'm not really sure that this is a geocache. It looks like a bomb, perhaps you can have someone look at it? Yes, it says "geocache" on it, but how can I know for sure... Give them the location, walk away and then find another one 15 minutes later.. Hi, it's me again...

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Don't like it? Don't seek it!

Brilliant advice! Gosh! Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes:

Say, while I've got you here... :huh:

Could you dove into that brilliance and offer a bit of advice? :unsure:

Unless I physically locate the cache, how can I know if I'll like it or not? <_<

Okay, happy to assist. :) This ain't theory, this is a proven strategy that consistently works for me.

It's a tripartite approach. I:

(1) read th entire cache description;

(2) look at the favorites points;&

(3) read at least the last five logs.

This strategy avoids "turd" caches, as you put it. I don't know your selection strategy, but if it's like one "fishy" one (oh, that's right, dolphins are mammals) described a few months ago (load a 4,000-cache search onto my gpsr for a weekend trip), the "turd" caches will get past the filters.

My filters work in the field. :)

here is something else that irk's me!!!! in our area we have a bunch of caches that are clearly marked need repairs!!!! have been for several monthes, and nobody is doing anything to see they are repaired or archiving them.

Did you post NA's on them? The reviewers aren't notified of NM's, but they are of NA's.

Edited by TriciaG
here is something else that irk's me!!!! in our area we have a bunch of caches that are clearly marked need repairs!!!! have been for several monthes, and nobody is doing anything to see they are repaired or archiving them.

Did you post NA's on them? The reviewers aren't notified of NM's, but they are of NA's.

yes I have listed them and plenty of others as well.

One of the most frustrating things I have encountered was when I came back to my hometown over college break. I was suprised to find that around 100 new caches had been hidden around the area. However, my heart sank when 95% were stop sign base micros. I wanted to hide my own cache to celebrate reaching 100 finds, but it's hard to find a spot when whole neighborhoods are taken up by these sign post micros!

One of the most frustrating things I have encountered was when I came back to my hometown over college break. I was suprised to find that around 100 new caches had been hidden around the area. However, my heart sank when 95% were stop sign base micros. I wanted to hide my own cache to celebrate reaching 100 finds, but it's hard to find a spot when whole neighborhoods are taken up by these sign post micros!

95 stop sign caches in 1 area?

The only thing to do here is to eat them. That will take care of them permanently (as long as you remember to flush). A little olive oil helps those nanos slide right down.

95 stop sign caches in 1 area?

The only thing to do here is to eat them. That will take care of them permanently (as long as you remember to flush). A little olive oil helps those nanos slide right down.

95 neat nanos in one area?! Coooool! It's like a power trail! No tedious puzzles or tiring hikes. Instead, 95 smileys real fast! That's reason to celebrate! Where is it so I can visit?!

B)

Stop sign to stop sign doing Chinese Fire Drills, except all occupants hunting the micro while the people behind you blow their horns at you. Sounds like fun until a Cop with no sense of humor sees you.ohmy.gif

What's the rush (besides chalking up smileys)??

Park legally & safely, stroll over to GZ, smell the flowers, & ask "why did the CO bring me here?"

;)

The thread title and additional description seem contradictory. Something irksome does not equate to a deadly sin.

Thus, I am not sure whether this counts:

When a CO archives a cache and assumes that since it isn't live any more that it is OK to change its title to something meaningless like "ARCHIVED"

This.

That post could be copied onto most every forum on the internet and it would still be basically true.

(My irk is that there's no 'like button' for posts like that.)

Edited by sbell111