I'm new to geocaching

ground control 1

I'm new to geocaching but I am loving it. The fun is tracking down and finding the cache. The down side is what's in the cache. So far, and I've only found 12. They have contained complete rubbish. Small broken plastic toys, a single playing card, a stone, a beach shell, single lego piece, business card, etc. Bit disappointing really. I take with me to trade some items which are actually worth something. But so far there has been nothing I am interested in trading and I'm reluctant to put something in there which is just going to disappear and not be replaced with anything of similar value. Do the premium member only caches contain more interesting items? Please don't get me wrong here, the main attraction of geocaching for me is finding the box, not the contents. It's just an observation from a beginner!! Sorry this post repeated four times due to a hiccup with my computer. I tried to delete the duplicate posts but was unable to do so. So I just deleted the content.

Edited by ground control 1

The cheap toys are pretty much normal. Some times if you check out newer caches the swag might be better.

PMO (Premium Member Only) caches aren't that impressive, they just have a different setting. There are lots of better reasons to become PM, PQ's are the big one for me.

The main deal is the hunt and the find, not the 'treasure'.

I'm new to geocaching but I am loving it. The fun is tracking down and finding the cache. The down side is what's in the cache. So far, and I've only found 12. They have contained complete rubbish. Small broken plastic toys, a single playing card, a stone, a beach shell, single lego piece, business card, etc. Bit disappointing really. I take with me to trade some items which are actually worth something. But so far there has been nothing I am interested in trading and I'm reluctant to put something in there which is just going to disappear and not be replaced with anything of similar value. Do the premium member only caches contain more interesting items? Please don't get me wrong here, the main attraction of geocaching for me is finding the box, not the contents. It's just an observation from a beginner!! Sorry this post repeated four times due to a hiccup with my computer. I tried to delete the duplicate posts but was unable to do so. So I just deleted the content.

No, stocked caches are few and none between. As far as I'm concerned swag is for kids. How many adults can't go out and buy their own stuff already? Holy cats, trade even or trade up or move on.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm new to geocaching but I am loving it. The fun is tracking down and finding the cache. The down side is what's in the cache. So far, and I've only found 12. They have contained complete rubbish. Small broken plastic toys, a single playing card, a stone, a beach shell, single lego piece, business card, etc. Bit disappointing really.

It must be the economy. People get a used deck of cards from the basement, a lightbulb goes on in their head, and they think, "Hey! Here's swag for the next 52 caches I find!"

If that lets them buy a baloney sandwich for lunch, it's okay with me.

Hey, Old Timers, what was the swag scene 8 or 10 years ago?

I wouldn't expect too much as far as swag goes. I mostly fill my caches with stuff for kids: McToys and little plastic animals which I pick up at Value Village, maybe a bit of flagging tape, usually nothing of value.

You may get better swag in new caches or ones requiring a long hike. Or you may not. The real treasure is the hunt.

FWIW, I've actually traded for single playing cards that were being used as signature items by other geocachers.

As others have said, don't expect anything of real value. Geocaching isn't really a "treasure hunt". It's more of a "scavenger hunt". The point is the experience, not the trinkets you find.

I'm new to geocaching but I am loving it. The fun is tracking down and finding the cache. The down side is what's in the cache. So far, and I've only found 12. They have contained complete rubbish. Small broken plastic toys, a single playing card, a stone, a beach shell, single lego piece, business card, etc. Bit disappointing really.

It must be the economy. People get a used deck of cards from the basement, a lightbulb goes on in their head, and they think, "Hey! Here's swag for the next 52 caches I find!"

If that lets them buy a baloney sandwich for lunch, it's okay with me.

Hey, Old Timers, what was the swag scene 8 or 10 years ago?

The same, most caches were filled with garbage. Some started out with junk and stayed full of junk. Some started out with nice stuff that was eventually replaced by junk.

Edited by briansnat

Admit I just received a huge order from Oriental Trading just for swag items. I tried to pick "nice" things like dog tag necklaces and tops, and some plastic coins with animals on them. But then...half the time I end up caching with Scouts or my friends' kids, and what's in my bag goes in the cache before they pick anything.

But I've found many great items, including flashlights, re-useable shopping bags, an umbrella...

We've found caches that were once filled with swag, and pretty good stuff going by the list, that are now empty or have what the OP described. We tend to put stuff in that children may like to trade for, but rarely take anything. Treasure to one person - adult or child - may be something totally different to the next person.

We have left polished pebbles, spirit coins (First Nations design with a word ie "Perseverence" on the reverse) and currently have a lot of marbles to leave. For us it is more about the fun of the hunt and the exercise than what is in the cache.

Having said that, I did trade for an earth magnet once....I still have it!

We've found caches that were once filled with swag, and pretty good stuff going by the list, that are now empty or have what the OP described.

If you take anything out it should be replaced with something of similar or greater value. If we don't all do this the caches will end up with just useless rubbish in them with the log. Just my humble opinion!

Edited by ground control 1

I just started out with this and from my personal point of view, whatever the item is in the box, it will still be a part of the experience. Even if it just a rock or what not. In my first cashe I found a small discoball and it will be treasured as my first find, even if it's truly just worthless junk.

=0P

I just started out with this and from my personal point of view, whatever the item is in the box, it will still be a part of the experience. Even if it just a rock or what not. In my first cashe I found a small discoball and it will be treasured as my first find, even if it's truly just worthless junk.

=0P

And did you in return trade even or up?

I used to enjoy the swag. I still remember finding my first cache with my wife. We were excited by the entire process, the hunt, hike, find, swag. But as I found more and more caches I became less concerned with the swag (of lack thereof) and honestly don't notice it much at all. I look for trackables and that's about it. My only real point is that your tastes might change over time but if you are in this for the swag trading, you might end up very disappointed.

When I cached in college it was more about signature items. People would leave a playing card becuase they were gamers....or a dice or some other trinket. Our outdoor club made stick dolls (about 2 inches high). Maybe because of the area we were in but we never had things like flaslights or other sundaries. Actually, half the time we left more things...I've only found one normal sized cache since I restarted and I found it rather empty of trinkets, but I hope that I will find ones more full, even if I don't take anything.

Be the change you want to see. Remove the trash items and replace them with better stuff. Encourage other cachers to do the same. Leave something and take nothing. there are several ways you can make the caches you find a better experience for the next finder. Maybe the idea will catch on in your area, and you will benefit from it, too.

As the cache counts went up, the content of the caches went down. People pack light these days, and most are in a rush. Swag exchange is more of a thing with the longer hike and adventure caches. If they are anywhere near the suburbs, don't really think you'll find much.

Heck, I'm gonna change strategies and instead of including stuff in caches for exchange, it'll be full of stuff cool to discover, read, look at, etc. That way a regular cache (or larger) is still viable and discover stuff still cool. Just has to stay within.

=0P

Well, he said what he got was "truly just worthless junk." So that would mean that any trade was even or up! :D

=0P

Well, he said what he got was "truly just worthless junk." So that would mean that any trade was even or up! :D

My question to a new person who found a cache their first day joining was actually whether they "traded" at all.

Once in awhile I add decent kid-oriented items to some of the larger geocaches in my area that are likely to be visited by kids out caching with their parents. But I figure swag is really for kids. Keep in mind that the logic of "trade up or trade even" would mean some of the older caches would have fairly valuable stuff in them by now...making it increasingly difficult to trade swag without parting with something of considerable value. Hypothetically speaking, of course!

Once in awhile I add decent kid-oriented items to some of the larger geocaches in my area that are likely to be visited by kids out caching with their parents. But I figure swag is really for kids. Keep in mind that the logic of "trade up or trade even" would mean some of the older caches would have fairly valuable stuff in them by now...making it increasingly difficult to trade swag without parting with something of considerable value. Hypothetically speaking, of course!

I agree completely. It would be nice if we could all put in swag worth a couple of dollars rather than a couple of cents! Make the game more interesting, especially for kids. I'm going to do my part. Hoping others trade even or up. Completely agree that the real fun is hunting down the cache!

"Funny - I always believed the world is what we make of it"

-Ellie Arroway, Contact

Here's context for that quote:

The practical upshot, as stated by previous posters, is leave or trade what you'd like to find.

I carry bunches of mini glow sticks and will leave them in caches whether I trade or not. What kid wouldn't want a chemical glow stick?

=0P

I put in an amulet for a necklace, so I would definately say I put in something of greater value :)

If the box contents are looking somewhat bad - tattered stuff, broken stuff, junk (one playing card, bottle caps, stones, used bus ticket, old expired coupon, etc) I will remove them and put them in the nearest trash can. As a CO I don't mind if folks did the same for our caches.

If the box contents are gross - dirty, moldy, rusty, I take a photo and include it with my Needs Maintenance log -- here's a couple of examples. Usually the whole thing needs to be ditched and replaced with a fresh water tight container:

7610604374_f1e2531807_m.jpg8578460830_92f6122cc7_m.jpg

As a CO I appreciate when finders post a photo of the cache contents, whether it's junky or in good shape. That way I can plan my maintenance visits better.

Generally cache contents typically look like this. This makes me smile - a nice clean container with some fun little bits of clean not-broken swag:

96844900-520d-4bfd-a8a7-09eb48440f5b.jpg

But I've found many great items, including flashlights, re-useable shopping bags, an umbrella...

That's a nice list.

I also have found quite a few cool things: Grow a Therapist, SWOG Pocket Decoder, laser etched wooden nickel signature item, paracord bracelet, handmade clay head made with natural glacial clay, and much more.

I always try to leave some kiddie things whether I trade for something or not. I know what joy my granddaughters get by going through a clean, well stocked cache. I want the same for other kids that geocache with their families. I also started leaving a blank logbook and a mechanical pencil in a ziploc in some caches too. It is clearly marked with a note that identifies it as a trade item in hopes someone will start another cache.

I rarely trade for anything as I would rather leave something instead. And, I have left a George Washington or two in a cache.

We've noticed money in smaller hit-often hides and assumed that a newer, unprepared cacher took their kid(s) with them.

Wanting that rubber ball and not having anything to trade, they put whatever change was in their pocket or throw in a buck to cover it.

I like the geocash angle though...

In the early years of this hobby, the whole element of swapping swag was more important. It was part of the ritual and (generally) most caches were large enough to hold a few items. I don't think anyone expected to get anything very valuable but it was an enjoyable part of the game - cachers always put two or three "good" items into their new cache, there were regular topics on these forums about What's good swag? and Where can I get stuff? Cachers posted their idea of things to leave, and where they'd bought interesting items. People swapped items around and sometimes you'd recognise some bit of swag that you'd seen months before when it turned up in a cache a hundred miles away.

This aspect of the game has become less significant over the years. I think it's a pity - one aspect of the "fun" which has been diminished. We still have the first ever bit of swag that we found in our first cache nearly nine years ago:

2ab0b905-b054-4760-81a4-913f3a5db304.jpg

MrsB :)

Okay, I kind of thought that the core element to geocaching was to find the target via GPS????

I feel that what's inside the container is of total insignificance, and if anyone feels that they are, then they may be pursuing the wrong hobby.

When this hobby began, every geocache had a "cache" of trinkets. Geocache was about location and gps use (geo) and stuff in the container (cache). The hobby was multi-dimensional - a nice location, a swag size container, plenty of trinkets to paw through even if you didn't trade, a logbook (not a sheet) to expound on your experience at the cache, online logs that also expounded on the caching experience and talked about trades. These days it's become mostly about finding the target. Thankfully some people are still keeping up the original intent and tradition of the game. They are not in the wrong hobby.

Okay, I kind of thought that the core element to geocaching was to find the target via GPS????

I feel that what's inside the container is of total insignificance, and if anyone feels that they are, then they may be pursuing the wrong hobby.

Not sure where you got that idea, or why you feel that your opinion regarding swag should apply to all geocachers.

The game is often called a "high tech treasure hunt". One hopes that a film can or even a lock & lock wouldn't be considered "treasure".

The second most quoted mantra is "trade up or trade even". That suggests that the cache could contain items that are meant to be traded/swapped. For some folks, the swag is still very much an important part of the game.

Geocaching 101

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

Finding Geocaches

What's usually in a cache?

In its simplest form, a cache always contains a logbook or logsheet for you to log your find. Larger caches may contain a logbook and any number of items. These items turn the adventure into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the cache owner or visitors to the cache may have left for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value in return. It is recommended that items in a cache be individually packaged in a clear, zipped plastic bag to protect them from the elements.

Quite often you may also find a Trackable, a sort of geocaching "game piece" that you can learn more about here.

What should not be placed in a cache?

People of all ages hide and seek geocaches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect local laws at all times.

Please do not put food or heavily scented items in a cache. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache.

How do I find the cache and what should I do once I've found it?

There are many things to know about searching for a cache. For instance, did you know that there is a slight "error" to every GPS device due to technological limitations? Your device can get you close to the cache, but there are a number of things to consider as you get closer to the cache location. Watch this video to follow along as we find a geocache or read tips here.

When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. You can take an item from the cache if you like - just make sure to leave something of equal or greater value in its place. When you are finished, put the cache back exactly as you found it, even if you think you see a better spot for it. Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others.

B.

Not sure where you got that idea, or why you feel that your opinion regarding swag should apply to all geocachers.

The game is often called a "high tech treasure hunt". One hopes that a film can or even a lock & lock wouldn't be considered "treasure".

The second most quoted mantra is "trade up or trade even". That suggests that the cache could contain items that are meant to be traded/swapped. For some folks, the swag is still very much an important part of the game.

Geocaching 101

http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

Finding Geocaches

What's usually in a cache?

In its simplest form, a cache always contains a logbook or logsheet for you to log your find. Larger caches may contain a logbook and any number of items. These items turn the adventure into a true treasure hunt. You never know what the cache owner or visitors to the cache may have left for you to enjoy. Remember, if you take something, leave something of equal or greater value in return. It is recommended that items in a cache be individually packaged in a clear, zipped plastic bag to protect them from the elements.

Quite often you may also find a Trackable, a sort of geocaching "game piece" that you can learn more about here.

What should not be placed in a cache?

People of all ages hide and seek geocaches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect local laws at all times.

Please do not put food or heavily scented items in a cache. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache.

How do I find the cache and what should I do once I've found it?

There are many things to know about searching for a cache. For instance, did you know that there is a slight "error" to every GPS device due to technological limitations? Your device can get you close to the cache, but there are a number of things to consider as you get closer to the cache location. Watch this video to follow along as we find a geocache or read tips here.

When you find the cache, sign the logbook and return it to the cache. You can take an item from the cache if you like - just make sure to leave something of equal or greater value in its place. When you are finished, put the cache back exactly as you found it, even if you think you see a better spot for it. Finally, visit the cache page to log your find and share your experience with others.

B.

Thanks for the link to the '101' Pup Patrol.

"Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location."

My opinion is no more, or less worthy than anyone elses. It is what it is, an(honest)opinion.

Heck, I'm gonna change strategies and instead of including stuff in caches for exchange, it'll be full of stuff cool to discover, read, look at, etc. That way a regular cache (or larger) is still viable and discover stuff still cool. Just has to stay within.

We did something like this with our Dragon's Hoard cache. The cache is located in a cemetery in a town settled by Welshmen, and the cache originally contained a package of materials related to Wales and the Welsh. At some point in time, the "not for trade" package was taken, probably by a newbie, but it worked out well until then.

--Larry

Almost forgot to mention (and give proper credit) that The Blorenges contributed many of the items we included in the original cache hide.

Edited by larryc43230

Keep in mind that the logic of "trade up or trade even" would mean some of the older caches would have fairly valuable stuff in them by now...making it increasingly difficult to trade swag without parting with something of considerable value.

Aha! I'm going to seek out the 10-year-old caches and get some 2-carat diamond rings! :D

Oh, that's right, I'd have to leave a 2.1 carat diamond ring.... :(

Be the change you want to see. Remove the trash items and replace them with better stuff. Encourage other cachers to do the same. Leave something and take nothing. there are several ways you can make the caches you find a better experience for the next finder. Maybe the idea will catch on in your area, and you will benefit from it, too.

Is it okay to take out the "Trash Items" or is that considered a no-no?

both my daughter and I like the swag- even my 1 1/2 year old son when there are matchbox cars. I keep all my swag in a little box in the cupboard, some is displayed in the same cupboard along with other things. I think the box full of random weird little things is kind of cool to look at... but it appears I am in the minority of adults, lol.

regardless, I always carry a pencil box of swag in my backpack. as long as the cache isn't really soggy, etc inside I leave something, even if I take nothing. I have a bunch of sig. items to leave also. if I have extra swag I want to offload I leave more. all my swag is in appropriately sized little ziplocs- so hopefully it won't be dirty by the time someone trades for it.

I started this thread so I will lead by example. I am going to try placing better things in caches but put a note on them saying "please trade even or up" and see what happens! If we all did this then maybe the overall quality of the cache will improve and be better for all, especially children. But with human nature what it is, we shall see!

My wife is always telling me to "Take out the trash" :laughing:.

YES, if you find items that are really trash (like molded paper items, broken pens, leaky bottles of anything, food items, tobacco, lighters, etc.) remove them to the nearest bin.

I just recently started caching and while on a search for caches this weekend I came across numerous instances where it seemed people just picked up what they found on the ground and put it in the cache. It hasn't taken me long to realize that for me its more about the memories with my family, the hunt and what we see while hunting make it worth it.

Is is definitely okay. Think about it from the next finder's viewpoint; removing trash, even if you have nothing to leave in exchange, makes the cache better. Besides the moldy paper and broken toys, I have removed cigarettes, matches, shotgun shells, a tampon, a knife, and various food items. I usually leave some small toys or other trinkets. But even if I have gone out without my swag bag, I'll remove trash. I have found that carabiners and bungee cords are popular with adults; kids' toys I usually get from either the dollar stores or thrift stores.