cache sizes

Heli Leo

I just did a search in my zip code looking for some regular or large caches to use to take a new cacher to. I thought that the might get more excited about the game if they could find some larger caches. Looking through the first 500 caches that the search returned I found 39 that were regular or large. I looked at my own statistics and realized that out of 150 smileys 74 were micros and 42 were smalls. I guess I'm wondering why there are not more regular sized caches put out. I live on the edge of a city but a lot of the micros I have found were in the country.

Well, there are so many possible reasons. A micro is cheaper to buy on average and are easier to find spots that will not get muggled. Its possibly just due to the fact also that many of the nice spots that would have supported larger caches are gone as more and more folks got caches placed?

So, don't know, laziness, cheapness, oversaturation, evilness (some folks like to hide evil ones)? Perhaps someone put out one of those (cough cough) power trails and those are pretty much always smallish in size.

I can only speak for myself, but I like to put as big of a container as the area will support.

Well, there are so many possible reasons. A micro is cheaper to buy on average and are easier to find spots that will not get muggled. Its possibly just due to the fact also that many of the nice spots that would have supported larger caches are gone as more and more folks got caches placed?

So, don't know, laziness, cheapness, oversaturation, evilness (some folks like to hide evil ones)? Perhaps someone put out one of those (cough cough) power trails and those are pretty much always smallish in size.

I can only speak for myself, but I like to put as big of a container as the area will support.

+1

In my suburban area, I've seen a number of locations host a series of short-lived caches. Eventually, someone hides a micro-cache (perhaps even a puzzle micro-cache), and that's what survives. Even if a cache can be hidden somewhere, it may not survive the attention drawn to it when geocachers repeatedly search for, find, retrieve, and replace it.

I know cache owners who hide smaller containers in remote locations too. It's just more work to carry a larger container into the woods. Rather than carry a single ammo can, they'd rather carry a few smaller containers, more water, some food, and more water.

And one of my Favorites is a micro in the woods. Yes, it's a film canister. Yes, that's the largest container the location can support. Yes, it's all about the location.

So it isn't just that a micro container is cheaper. And some of the micro and small containers they're using are just as expensive as a good regular container. (Not the film canister mentioned in the third paragraph, of course.)

It's funny (odd? strange? weird?)... we live in an area that is really thin in regards to population. It is also very thin in regards to micro caches. As time marches along and more people get into geocaching and place hides, the micro percentages have risen.

Luckily, we still have lots of territory in which to place hides (here) that are something other than micros.

Now, with multiple trips to SD, western Minn, even NE and IA, it is absolutely astounding that there are mostly micros with a smattering of a few smalls. The toughest thing to find is a medium -- large is out of the question. It seems as though so many hiders (in those areas) do not even think of trying to hide anything other than micros. Yes, I do comprehend that if I had hidden 1,000+ caches, that the expense of many ammo cans or L&L containers would be nearly prohibitive.

Caches should be as large as the area/hide would support, wouldn't you think?

Could be wrong, but I think it is a mindset more than anything else.

Why?

Yes, this is a serious question. I can imagine a number of different answers, depending on the way one plays the game.

If you want to support trade items and/or trackables, then it makes sense to use a container large enough to hold such things. But once the container is large enough to hold several trade items and/or trackables, is bigger still better?

If you want to provide a log that is more than a tiny scroll (whether to reduce the need for maintenance or to facilitate longer logs for those who will write them), then it makes sense to use a container large enough to hold the size log book that you want to use. But once the container is large enough to hold that log book, is bigger still better?

Personally, I like hiding caches that are bigger than a micro-cache. But I don't see a need to go any larger than 1-2qt/1-2L (regular/medium size, but just barely). The cache can hold trade items, trackables, and a good sized log book. What more is needed?

For one easier to hide a micro-take the LPC for example. You'r not going to fit a regular ammo can under a lamp post skirt.

Some of them a pretty good, One I found was a hockey puck modified and you have to do "something special" to get the cache out-hidden near a hockey arena.

They are cheaper to buy.$2-$3 for a micro or up to $25 for an ammo can, plus they take up less space. I can store 20 micro's in the same space as a Lock n lock, or a hundred in the same space as an ammo can. They are also less likely to get muggled(If we have trouble finding it the Muggles will probably never find one), and when cammo'd well present mroe of a challenge. Personally I think I only have one cache smaller than a Magnetic keyholder, and some including 5 gallon buckets.

Why?

Yes, this is a serious question. I can imagine a number of different answers, depending on the way one plays the game.

In addition to the answers you gave, I'd add that evil micros can be fun challenges. I'm not good at hiding them, but I enjoy finding them.

or maybe people are just tired of cachers not trading properly with the larger caches, so they decided they might as well just put out a nano and save the frustration. It gets old putting out a nicely stocked cache just to have the first couple of finders raid all of the good swag and replace it with their broken McDonalds toys/trash or rocks they found at the cache site

Why hide a micro?

Cheaper container/less investment.

Easy to hide without a lot of skill or consideration.

WAY more places to put a micro container.

Easier to camo (if you are going to).

No worries about stocking the trade items, since there will be none.

No worries about NM logs because someone didn't find a trackable that is still listed in your cache's inventory.

I'm retired and a friend and or my wife and I go caching 3 or 4 times a week. We have taken my grandchildren with us and I really like seeing how excited they get when they find a larger cache. Heck my wife and I also get excited with the bigger caches. Don't get me wrong I also enjoy a well hidden or camoflaged micro but would really like to see more larger caches. Guess I'll just have to start putting some out.Have been getting some great ideas from reading the "Cool cache containers" thread.

I'm retired and a friend and or my wife and I go caching 3 or 4 times a week. We have taken my grandchildren with us and I really like seeing how excited they get when they find a larger cache. Heck my wife and I also get excited with the bigger caches. Don't get me wrong I also enjoy a well hidden or camoflaged micro but would really like to see more larger caches. Guess I'll just have to start putting some out.Have been getting some great ideas from reading the "Cool cache containers" thread.

+1

I like creative micros where the CO makes an effort to entertain or amuse finders.But I much prefer swag size containers. I'm always hoping to find handcrafted items or geocaching-related items. I like to leave my handcraft geoswag. I filter out micros via my PQs, because the majority are placed because they're easy and cheap to hide. Sometimes, when I'm in the field, I'll check my gc app for nearby micros with lots of favorite votes.

Most of the hides I make are with my daughter and she prides herself on the bigger ones. At first I liked them as well. Now I don't care as much and she don't either when finding but she always wants to place bigger ones with room for swagg. I like locations and nicely camoed caches. We still try and place out larges when possible!

The next time you get that itch to place a cache make it regular size. Seriously. There's nothing like having to head down to the workshop to be creative.

Heck, I strip down and paint up ammocans and hand them out to my locals. Not only do I get to go look for them, my craft day isn't all about wrapping cammo-tape around a pill bottle.

Why hide a micro?

Cheaper container/less investment.

Easy to hide without a lot of skill or consideration.

WAY more places to put a micro container.

Easier to camo (if you are going to).

No worries about stocking the trade items, since there will be none.

No worries about NM logs because someone didn't find a trackable that is still listed in your cache's inventory.

When someone can't find it, and throws down a "replacement" cache, it's probably going to be a micro and the cache size will still be accuate. :ph34r:

I'm lucky to live in an area where micros are in the minority. Last time I checked about a year ago micros were about 16 percent of the caches when I did a 1,000 nearest caches pocket query from my zipcode. Some newbies started sprinkling micros around like grass seed lately so I expect that if I were to check again it would probably have climbed closer to 20 percent.

That said, cities will have a larger percentage of micros out of necessity. It's very hard to find a place to hide a small or regular sized cache. As for micros in areas that can support larger caches I suspect a lot of that comes out of laziness. Rather than finding interesting areas, obtaining a small or regular sized container, filling it with swag and a logbook, all they need to do is stick a strip of paper in a film canister and voila! a cache! And if there are a few DNFs, just archive it. No need for a maint check because it's only a film canister.

Edited by briansnat

And if there are a few DNFs, just archive it. No need for a maint check because it's only a film canister.

Sadly, this protocol is not limited to urban caches.

We have a high-numbers mega-hider who uses the same tactic just to the north of Phoenix.

They won't even update incorrect co-ordinates! :o

'There's a problem with the cache? Just archive it...we'll go out and hide throw out six more tomorrow.'

Why so many micros? I would ask why does anyone place a regular size container? The geocaching community will plunder that bugger faster than buds will sprout on a tree. Why bother? Something small enough for a log book seems just about right, except where a micro seems best.

Some cachers don't have access to areas where you can hide bigger caches.

I live in an area that not far from me is spots you can place bigger caches. And yes it's nice to see ammo cans and lock n locks but when they do go missing the cachers replaces them with smaller containers cause it gets expensive.

Why so many micros? I would ask why does anyone place a regular size container? The geocaching community will plunder that bugger faster than buds will sprout on a tree. Why bother?

1. Travel bugs. That's a big part of the geocaching fun for lots of people.

2. Children. They like the treasure hunt aspect. Which means trinkets are fun for them. It doesn't have to be expensive. Keep the cache clean and remove the junk a couple of times a year and add about 3 clean $1 items.

3. Adults.Some of us like to paw through the stuff in the cache. We may not trade but enjoy the experience of finding stuff in a well-maintained cache. Just a logbook is not a full geocaching experience.

3. Signature items. Lots of people like to leave and trade signature items.

I love the stuff in the cache. I even blog about it. If the blog feedback is any evidence, it's part of the fun for many cachers. Micros - it's been my experience they are usually placed because the CO doesn't want to maintain or spend money on a cache. They are often placed in ho-hum locations, designed solely to provide a smiley. There are, of course, a few exceptions. Micros placed to entertain or to bring people to a nice location where a swag size cache wouldn't fit. So I look for micros with lots of favorite points and good comments in the last few logs.

Sometimes it's just due to what can or can't be hidden.

I spent almost 3 hours driving around with a caching friend last week. We were driving down rural roads in the that time we only found one real good spot that you could hide an ammo can. However there are several nice place that I would like to bring other cacher to where a micro would work.

Now on the other hand,the next day, while driving along a road along a local lake, we found dozens of sites that were just begging for ammo cans.

Edited by Totem Clan

Some cachers don't have access to areas where you can hide bigger caches.

I live in an area that not far from me is spots you can place bigger caches.

That's really only true for cachers that are "transportation challenged". Yes, there are many areas where a larger cache can't be easily placed. That just means that if someone that lives in one those areas might have to travel outside their neighborhood to place a larger cache.

From what I've read here it sounds like many years ago it was pretty common that in order to go caching one had to drive many miles in order to find a few caches. Today, those that live in many cities, and a proliferation of "park-n-grabs", can rack up thousands of finds without really leaving "the area". It seems to me, that the trend in geocaching is that it has become a game that is primarily played close to home, thus the expectation that finding or placing caches close to home has become the rule and the expectation that one might drive for a half an hour to a more remote spot outside the city to place a cache has become foreign.

Hi all, After 30 minutes searching in all sections of geocaching websites I give up and ask in this topic related post. Where I can find details about size of caches? I know the size scale of each cache but what means every crossed square in this scale in detail? For example for the first smallest square what is the size range in centimeter?

Furthermore is it right that if the last and largest square is crossed that no cache size is defined?

It would be great to get an answer because it would be help to find the cache.

FYI: The reason why I ask is that we searched a cache who not had a size this weekend and we give up after1,5h without result.

Thanks a lot for answering. Have a nice evening.

Hi all, After 30 minutes searching in all sections of geocaching websites I give up and ask in this topic related post. Where I can find details about size of caches? I know the size scale of each cache but what means every crossed square in this scale in detail? For example for the first smallest square what is the size range in centimeter?

Furthermore is it right that if the last and largest square is crossed that no cache size is defined?

It would be great to get an answer because it would be help to find the cache.

FYI: The reason why I ask is that we searched a cache who not had a size this weekend and we give up after1,5h without result.

Thanks a lot for answering. Have a nice evening.

Here what the Geocaching 101 page has about cache sizes:

The first step is to get a general idea of the cache's size. The size is shown on each cache page. A general overview of the cache size graphic is found below. Please note that these are just examples; sizes can vary.

Micro - Less than 100ml. Examples: a 35 mm film canister or a tiny storage box typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet. A nano cache is a common sub-type of a micro cache that is less than 10ml and can only hold a small logsheet.

Small - 100ml or larger, but less than 1L. Example: A sandwich-sized plastic container or similar.

Regular - 1L or larger, but less than 20L. Examples: a plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox.

Large - 20L or larger. Example: A large bucket.

Other - See the cache description for information.

Typically, when a cache owner selects "Not Listed" or "Other" for the cache size it means it's *usually* a "nano-cache" (sometimes called a blinker). If you haven't seen a nano-cache, there are a couple of pictures here: (http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Nano_cache). There isn't actually an "official" nano-cache size (yet) and they actually should be listed as a micro, because by definition, a micro is 100ml or smaller. Sometimes it just isn't clear what size should be chosen, for example, where a cache is a container within a container.

I'm new to caching and I have to say, "amen!" to the ammo can! It's really fun to find a big ammo can filled with swag, and a log with interesting comments. Micros are ok if that's all you can put, but they aren't very creative, and in my area, they are often muggled. Since they are so small, the owners don't take the DNFs seriously, they just seem to think you didn't look well enough, or they simply don't care!

So I looked at my caches. I believe my caches are average to above average in terms of quality in my area. 36% are micro 28% are small 32% are regular and 4% are large. Most of those micro caches are along walking trails that could not maintain anything larger due to muggles. http://coord.info/GC2CG1E I think that is a good example of a cache where the location of the final outweighs the cache size. It does vary hider by hider and in different areas.

Why so many micros? I would ask why does anyone place a regular size container? The geocaching community will plunder that bugger faster than buds will sprout on a tree. Why bother? Something small enough for a log book seems just about right, except where a micro seems best.

I have started hiding small lock & locks of late. Big enough for a 3x5" notepad, a pencil, and a small amount of swag for the kids. Also big enough for coins and most TBs.

Hi, thank you for the fast answers and the detailed description of cache sizes. That very helps especially for scanning the area where the cache is hint. Have a nice day.

It's a good idea to look at the entire cache listing for possible hints (assuming all the information is accurately presented). The cache size listed can often suggest areas where cache *can't* be. For example, if the cache is listed as a regular there is no sense in looking in every small nook and cranny.

The difficulty rating can give an expectation for how long you might have to search. For example, according to the Help Center page, a cache with a 2 star rating is described as "average". "The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting", whereas a cache with a 4 star difficult is describe as "A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete." Looking at the difficulty rating can dictate your search strategy.

Similarly, the terrain rating can provide a clue. If, for example, you're searching for a cache where you've walked a couple hundred feet down a mostly flat trail to ground zero where you find a large tree a cache with a 2 star or less rating will suggest that it's hidden somewhere near the ground. If it has a 3 star or higher terrain rating you might have to climb the tree.

The cache description and name can sometimes give you a clue to what you're looking for and a reading of past logs can sometimes help, especially if some of them mention the accuracy of the coordinates (i.e. "found the cache 75 feet from where my GPS was telling me to search").

I spent almost 3 hours driving around with a caching friend last week. We were driving down rural roads in the that time we only found one real good spot that you could hide an ammo can. However there are several nice place that I would like to bring other cacher to where a micro would work.

There's the Small size container. Easier to hide and makes those cachers who like the swag aspect of caching happy.

Like this small Lock and Lock - enough room for a small logbook, pencil and a travelbug.

7610603244_60c2416a41_o.jpg

Here's a photo of a small pelican box cache with plenty of room for swag and a logbook. Smaller then an ammo can so it should be easier to hide:

DSC01807.jpg

There's the Small size container. Easier to hide and makes those cachers who like the swag aspect of caching happy.

Like this small Lock and Lock - enough room for a small logbook, pencil and a travelbug.

7610603244_60c2416a41_o.jpg

Here's a photo of a small pelican box cache with plenty of room for swag and a logbook. Smaller then an ammo can so it should be easier to hide:

DSC01807.jpg

I hid one of those a couple of days ago. I love 'em. .... but even those wouldn't work in some spots. When I refer to micro I'm not talk nano. Someting like a camoed matchstick holder or just bigger but not big enough to meet the small size guidelines.

As a rule I will hide the biggest container that will be a permanent cache at that site. Farm acativity and muggles means out here on the plains along the right-of-ways it's going to be a 'small' small or unforunatly a 'big' micro.