Backpack suggestion?

Senninha27

Hi! I've been caching for almost a year and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm ready to get more serious. I ventured into the Green Swamp in central Florida and after a few hours, I ran out of water, didn't feel well, and my iPhone battery was dying. I found my way out, but it was a wake-up call. I need to get some gear together. The first step is to find a good backpack. I've looked at the three on the Geocaching.com store and I like the idea. But I want one with a built-in water tank if possible. I'd also like one with a caribiner on the front for a pen and a pocket on the front for my phone.

Does anyone have one that they really like? Can you show me one on amazon or another site? I'd appreciate it!

Hi! I've been caching for almost a year and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm ready to get more serious. I ventured into the Green Swamp in central Florida and after a few hours, I ran out of water, didn't feel well, and my iPhone battery was dying. I found my way out, but it was a wake-up call. I need to get some gear together. The first step is to find a good backpack. I've looked at the three on the Geocaching.com store and I like the idea. But I want one with a built-in water tank if possible. I'd also like one with a caribiner on the front for a pen and a pocket on the front for my phone.

Does anyone have one that they really like? Can you show me one on amazon or another site? I'd appreciate it!

Hi! Try REI.com (no affiliation). My family has loved everything we've bought there. It is quality or they don't carry it.

The problem with getting recommendations means people will recommend the packs with the size and features THEY like and that fit THEM. Those may be the opposite of what you are looking for. I have a wonderful day pack, a Mountainsmith Approach II, but that may or may not be a pack that would be appropriate for you.

First consider the size pack you want. Will you be taking all day hikes or just venturing into the woods for an hour or two? Are you a light packer or the kind who likes to be prepared for any eventuality? Do you just want to carry some water, an apple and a first aid kit, or will you be bringing camera equipment, trail chairs, binoculars and other luxuries? Will you be hiking in the winter and need to carry extra clothing? Day packs run from about 500 ci to about 2,900 ci capacity. That is quite a range and the planned use for your pack will dictate what size you need.

Next is weight. Is light weight important to you? In that case you should look for a minimalist pack with few pockets and features. Or are you an organization hound who wants numerous pockets and is willing to buy a heavier pack to have that?

How about carrying water? Do you want a pack that is compatible with hydration systems so you can drink out of a hose as you hike? Or do you prefer an easily accessible water bottle?

Then there is top loading or panel loading. Some people prefer the carrying capacity of top loaders and others like the easy access of a panel loader.

And most important is fit. The pack can have every feature you are looking for, but if it doesn't fit you properly it can be quite uncomfortable.

Some other features you may or may not want or decisions you may need to make:

no hip belt vs hip belt vs padded hip belt

no frame vs. internal frame vs. external frame

super light weight material vs. durable material

iPod compartment w/headphone port

cellphone compartment

key compartment or holder

padded laptop section

and more

And finally there is price. You can get a very good day pack for $50 or you can spend $200 on a day pack.

Some brands that make quality packs are LL Bean, REI, Osprey, Marmot, Gregory, Deuter, Arc'teryx, Mountainsmith, Mountain Hard Wear, Jansport, Mammut, Granite Gear, Lowe Alpine and Black Diamond. This shouldgive you an idea as to the variety of sizes, styles and features available

Edited by briansnat

Maxpedition is great. I have had my eye on one of these (click) for a while.

This one looks very heavy and it doesn't have padded shoulder straps. Might be fine for you, but it's not for everyone, especially not on longer hikes. Really, I would go do a shop that has a good selection of different brands (outdoor shop probably) and try a few one for a while with different loads!

After much trying out I finally exchanged my 10 years old, still undamaged but shoulderhurtingly uncomfortable Eastpak for an Arc'teryx (Axios 25). This pack turned out to be perfect for me. Though it probably isn't for most other people out here. So don't just buy a pack that looks good but try on several.

My pack can hold a water bladder but I decided against using one. The water tasts plasticky and such bladder needs lots of cleaning. Instead I'm just (re)using two 1.5L plastic water bottles. The weight is lighter and there's no funny taste.

Oh, and one final thing why you should go to a specialized shop: You might think you need say.. a 20L pack. But a 20L pack is not always a 20L pack. If it's got good pack ventilation then the back panel is bent inwards into the pack. Many producers don't substract that number, others seem to calculate with the outside of every tiny mobile phone and hip belt pocket, etc... thus some are far less spacious than the size suggests.

Mrs. terratin

Edited by terratin
My pack can hold a water bladder but I decided against using one. The water tasts plasticky and such bladder needs lots of cleaning. Instead I'm just (re)using two 1.5L plastic water bottles. The weight is lighter and there's no funny taste.

It's been my experience that CamelBak bladders impart a plastic taste to the water. Platypus bladders don't, which is why I now use Platypus bladders exclusively. As for washing, if you stay with plain water you don't need to wash very often. About once a month I fill the bladder, add a generous splash of chlorine bleach, run it through the hose then rise well. Very easy.

Put Gatorade, ice tea or any other sweetened drink in your bladder then all bets are off. You'll have a science experiment on your hands if you don't clean it constantly.

Thanks for the advice, folks! The best thing for me to do, really, is to go to a store that sells these things. I made my initial post after returning home from Bass Pro Shops where I found nothing. I can't think of another store that would possibly carry packs. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

Thanks for the advice, folks! The best thing for me to do, really, is to go to a store that sells these things. I made my initial post after returning home from Bass Pro Shops where I found nothing. I can't think of another store that would possibly carry packs. Guess I'll have to keep looking.

As chains go, Dicks usually has a decent selection, but your best best is someplace like EMS or REI if you have one in your area.

I think Brian's post re "what you want, what you like" is right on.

My husband owns a lot of packs (small, medium, medium smallish, medium biggish, big, waterproof---> a whole lotta of packs ;-) most all bought online at Ebags.com. (link for their hydration packs page). He's never gotten anything from them that wasn't of good quality, at a good price. Buying a pack online means paying attention to return policy, obviously.

There's no REI in Florida, EMS is limited to the northeast. In Florida, sporting goods places tend to be heavily fishing/golfing oriented. Dick's is chain that you'll find around Orlando. I wouldn't want to be limited to what they carry, but at least you can fondle some stuff. If you happen to make a trip to the St Pete area, Bill Jackson's is big sporting goods store, with more emphasis on hiking then most.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I recently bought a UTG tactical messenger bag (closely resembles the Maxpedition bags) from Amazon.com for $32 and so far it's been a great bag. I used to use a standard backpack but two problems arose:

1. Trapping sweat to my back

2. Having to drop the bag to access compartments.

With the messenger bag I can easily slide it around and get to all my stuff. It's especially useful when you're in thick brush or an otherwise cramped area and need to access your gear. There's no hydration pack but there is a large compartment made especially to hold a large water container, with straps to secure it. Also there's a heavy duty clip on the shoulder strap to attach keys or your pen.

Probably the biggest advantage to this bag for me is having the MOLLE system, which is a series of straps that can receive additional pouches so you can add more storage. For long hikes I take my entire bag and for short walks or for caching in urban areas I detach a 5" x 7" pouch and I'm good to go.

The bag I go to most is the Osprey Daylite Accessory Pack.$40-$50. Its a great, no frills lightweight bag. Extremely comfortable and one of the best designs on the pack for keeping breathing space between the pack and your back. My only gripe is the zippers sometime get caught in the flap but I'd buy another if needed. For hikes less than an hour round trip I go for my Maxpedition Remora. A real sturdy and very well designed toss around bag. For those park-n-grabs I remove the shoulder strap

If you can't find anything local, don't be afraid to shop online. :)

I wouldn't buy a pack online without trying it out locally first. Every pack fits different, and I'd hate to buy a pack that had nice reviews only to find it doesn't fit me. Sure, you can return it but that's time consuming and a bit of a pain.

This is a tried and true backpack. Seems to hold a lot more than you would think from the size:

Dora-backpack-map.jpg