Streak cheats

HI all

I have several challenge cache's out for # of day streak's and have read on forums that some people may change their stats to be able to claim a cache which is streak orientated , Is there any way that I can confirm that the streak is legit and they haven't just changed their stats just to claim the cache?

I have an opinion of people who would do this and the question is "Why cheat on yourself?"

It's a game of trust. If they're going to cheat on a long streak, you're kinda stuck ... unless you demand a bookmark list for that streak, but they could still backdate finds and stuff. Again, it's a game of trust and if people are that determined to cheat, they've a history of it and you probably aren't going to stop them. Sick is about all it is when people dilute their honor and integrity for a smiley.

Its best to ignore it.

We got someone here working on a streak and they are deleting their old find logs and find them again with a new date. I think its silly but if they wanna play the game that way, let them.

I feel you as a CO will get in hot water if you call on anyone cheating on streak challenges. Let them cheat and let them log the find once the challenge is over for them. Enforcing the streak challenge rules will only created more problems for you. Make friends, not enemies.

I know for some people their number of finds is a bragging right and I assume two things about those people A.) either those people have lifted more light post skirts and felt up more guardrails then anyone else on earth....or B.) cheat and lie...

Either or it's not the way I want to enjoy the game so it doesn't bother me but the great thing about geocaching you choose how you want to play.

Even if you had suspicions on someone, how you would prove such a thing would seem such an uphill battle, I can't imagine trying to take on such a task. Even if you could, is it really worth it? My streak of 400 was a pain in the patootie, I had to intentionally leave nearby caches unfound so on certain days I did not have to travel far. Won't do it again.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of people are not noticing that the OP is the owner of said challenge caches that people are cheating on. I have to agree a "days streak" challenge would be one of the easiest to cheat on, and I'm sure it's being done.

I'm an owner of 5 challenge caches. I mean we put them out to be challenges, not for people to cheat on. We, as owners, are supposed to check, you know. :)

Is there any way that I can confirm that the streak is legit and they haven't just changed their stats just to claim the cache?

If most of the streak finds are local, then you could check the physical logs, focusing on caches where there were other finders on and around the dates in question. If a geocacher claims a find on May 26 but their signature shows up after two people claimed finds on May 27, then I'd be suspicious. If it happened on three or four other caches as well, then I'd be very suspicious.

But, as others have noted, it's probably just not worth trying to verify these types of claims.

Some geocachers have the attitude that a "Found It" is legitimate as long as the cache owner doesn't have a problem with it. So, you might want to include something like the following on your challenge's listing page: "Generally accepted guidelines for finding and logging a cache apply. This includes posting online 'Found It' logs using the same date you signed the physical logs."

Perhaps someone created a challenge for the biggest faker, or something like that. Like the 'Liars Club' does for fishing.

Who knows or cares. Be glad they actually found and logged the cache. I suppose they could be checked for only ONE smiley though.

Doug 7rxc

If most of the streak finds are local, then you could check the physical logs, focusing on caches where there were other finders on and around the dates in question. If a geocacher claims a find on May 26 but their signature shows up after two people claimed finds on May 27, then I'd be suspicious. If it happened on three or four other caches as well, then I'd be very suspicious.

I do not care at all about streaks, challenge caches, statistics etc, but I want to mention that I often place my logs in the log book wherever someone left space and not in chronological order. Not always I add a date (e.g. with nanos I'm glad to manage at least to add my alias without going mad before) and sometimes the date I add is wrong e.g. because I forgot to reset the date of my watch (which works only for months with 31 days) or have the wrong date in my mind.

It would be very unfair if someone got accused of cheating just because he/she happened to become victim of my logging style.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

I do not care at all about streaks, challenge caches, statistics etc, but I want to mention that I often place my logs in the log book wherever someone left space and not in chronological order. Not always I add a date (e.g. with nanos I'm glad to manage at least to add my alias without going mad before) and sometimes the date I add is wrong e.g. because I forgot to reset the date of my watch (which works only for months with 31 days) or have the wrong date in my mind.

It would be very unfair if someone got accused of cheating just because he/she happened to become victim of my logging style.

While checking physical logs won't work for all cachers, it probably would work for most. Signing with a date of May 26 below two signatures dated May 27 would be unusual. Most geocachers don't leave large gaps between their signature and the last signature on the log. If they do, then they probably would sign the same way on most of the other logs as well, which could be checked easily.

Still odd things sometimes happen. If I see something like this once, it would get a raised eyebrow from me. If it happened three or four other times as well, then I might request some sort of explanation from the cacher.

Personally, I probably wouldn't bother checking physical logs in the first place.

HI all

I have several challenge cache's out for # of day streak's and have read on forums that some people may change their stats to be able to claim a cache which is streak orientated , Is there any way that I can confirm that the streak is legit and they haven't just changed their stats just to claim the cache?

I have an opinion of people who would do this and the question is "Why cheat on yourself?"

Since they are using caches that are owned by others, you really have no way to verify that they are being honest with you. And if they are not honest with you as a CO, I'm sure that there are far greater things to be concerned about with their personalities than cheating on a challenge cache. Shake your head, pity them, and move on with your life.

BTW I think stacking 10/20/30/40 day in a row challenges is almost as silly as fudging the find date of another cache to qualify for a challenge like those. But at least it is ethical if still silly.

Edited by wimseyguy

Most geocachers don't leave large gaps between their signature and the last signature on the log.

That's not true in my region. There are cachers who always start a new page and the majority does not use backsides.

Already quite a while ago, I started to use free space in between on purpose in such cases. Just recently I logged on the first page of the log book

while already more than 10 pages were partially used (not counting the backsides as separate pages).

Also with nanos I typically use the first free field allowing me to minimize the rolling job as I do end with so much troubles when I'm alone with a nano and I'm very worried that I do not manage to get the roll back again without any damage if I unroll it almost completely.

Cezanne

Most geocachers don't leave large gaps between their signature and the last signature on the log. If they do, then they probably would sign the same way on most of the other logs as well, which could be checked easily.

(Bold sentence restored.)

That's not true in my region. There are cachers who always start a new page and the majority does not use backsides.

I've restored the sentence that you might have missed.

HI all

I think challenge cache's based on a streak are a ????? idea. I'll let you choose your own word. Just don't use any synonym of "good". I have friends who think they are great, and would thank you for placing them. Beside being proud of completing the challenge, they have one other thing in common. They all know "cachers" who cheat on streaks. One team member makes a find one day, another team member makes a find another day. All good, right? Streak is intact according to them. No worse than "cachers" who fudge find dates. You have set up a "challenge" that can not truly be verified, and you want to know if you can confirm legitimacy? Good luck with that one. Have you ever heard the phrase "Locks Are For Honest People".

Most geocachers don't leave large gaps between their signature and the last signature on the log. If they do, then they probably would sign the same way on most of the other logs as well, which could be checked easily.

(Bold sentence restored.)

I've restored the sentence that you might have missed.

I did not miss it, but probably misunderstood it. What I meant is that it could happen the same cachers can become victim of my logging habit which does not follow some patterns - for example, if I'm in a hurry due to muggles, I might as well log after the last log at the page which is opened up.

I was referring to my logs not the one of the person trying to cheat with respect to a streak. So if a guy attracts your attention, it might be due to logging habits like mine and the other person just being unlucky insofar as being effected more than once by someone with my behaviour. What you descrive can of course work, but it can fail by making too many assumptions that people will act as you act or as you regard it as common.

Cezanne

Thank to every one for replying, I am in two minds about it, I know (and have proof) of around 20 - 25 dates that have been changed, not just 1 or 2, I am sorry for them that they may do this, why play the game if you have to cheat so bad??

As for those that think it is a silly idea to have a challenge of this nature , we all play the game in different ways, some play the most caches on one day, others do fastest hundreds, some like power trails, other are fascinated by the TBs ,I like to plod and generally don't do more than 3 -4 a day, so streaking is a game I play. I understood that this may happen but didn't expect it to be so blatant.

I may just let them log and then just drop the proof on the cache page for all to see.

I know (and have proof) of around 20 - 25 dates that have been changed, not just 1 or 2

I'd be interested in hearing what proof you were able to get. A signed log with one date and an online log with another? Or have they gone back afterwards and edited their find dates? Just curious, and I understand if you don't want to tell us here.

Thank to every one for replying, I am in two minds about it, I know (and have proof) of around 20 - 25 dates that have been changed, not just 1 or 2, I am sorry for them that they may do this, why play the game if you have to cheat so bad??

As for those that think it is a silly idea to have a challenge of this nature , we all play the game in different ways, some play the most caches on one day, others do fastest hundreds, some like power trails, other are fascinated by the TBs ,I like to plod and generally don't do more than 3 -4 a day, so streaking is a game I play. I understood that this may happen but didn't expect it to be so blatant.

I may just let them log and then just drop the proof on the cache page for all to see.

I got a feeling that GS will side with the cachers if you deleted their logs. Thats why I feel its best to let it go.

The OP was kind enough to feed my curiousity and PMed me the proof they have. I won't post it here, but I can tell you that it's irrefutable. It's crystal clear that they have blatantly cheated. It's sad that people feel they need to cheat to complete challenge caches. I can proudly say that for the 50-day-streak challenge I completed, every one of those 50 days had a valid find. None of the "I found the container today, but I'm not going to sign it until tomorrow" stuff. On each day, I found a cache and signed the log.

Wow. It never occurred to me that anyone would even imagine faking it. Well, heck, yeah, if you've got proof, then just kill it. I don't see that it's significantly different than a challenge that requires a list, and the list provided is missing or insufficient. I'd make a big deal about it in the logs, but with a "nice try, please don't do that again" attitude rather than "you flaming cheater, you're a disgrace to geocaching". Although privately I'm thinking the latter. But I'm a little sensitive: I just completed a 366 day streak challenge cache, so I'm personally offended by the idea that someone could claim such a thing without actually doing the deed.

I think a lot of people are not noticing that the OP is the owner of said challenge caches that people are cheating on. I have to agree a "days streak" challenge would be one of the easiest to cheat on, and I'm sure it's being done.

I'm an owner of 5 challenge caches. I mean we put them out to be challenges, not for people to cheat on. We, as owners, are supposed to check, you know. :)

It was pretty obvious the OP owns a streak challenge. But he'll probably live longer and happier if he doesn't worry so much about cheaters since there's absolutely no way to control it.

I think that, if you're going to put out a challenge like yours, that you should be committed to going out and physically checking the logs for each and every claimed streak cache before they can log your challenge. Seems fair to me. :lol:

Yep. But you need to be making daily runs because I have heard of some going out and finding several caches and dating them for the future. :blink:

I suppose if you really, really cared and had way to much free time you could look at his matrix and check the caches he logged when he only had one on that day. See if they were edited and what day. You could make an inference that one edited on the day he only had one might be suspect.

Personally I would spend that time caching or enjoying my signature line.

The OP was kind enough to feed my curiousity and PMed me the proof they have. I won't post it here, but I can tell you that it's irrefutable. It's crystal clear that they have blatantly cheated. It's sad that people feel they need to cheat to complete challenge caches. I can proudly say that for the 50-day-streak challenge I completed, every one of those 50 days had a valid find. None of the "I found the container today, but I'm not going to sign it until tomorrow" stuff. On each day, I found a cache and signed the log.

The cacher has now created a new challenge for the CO to determine if he had cheated, and for him to do something about it. Perhaps he could either delete the log, archive the cache, or look the other way. If it creates a pattern, I would just archive the cache, but I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I can live with the fact that people cheat, it is human nature that we all cheat at something, I personally don't go out of my way to cheat myself as then "I" know I haven't achieved whatever goal I have set, and the victory of achieving the goal is then somewhat hollow, to me its about the journey not the goal, as you can always "win" a game by cheating but much more satisfying to achieve it without cheating.

BUT it takes all sorts I suppose, others in my area know about the cheating so they are only really damaging there reputation in the local caching community

BUT it takes all sorts I suppose, others in my area know about the cheating so they are only really damaging there reputation in the local caching community

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next event they attend.

6.gif

Streak Cheaters, You Know Who You Are. (GCHEAT)

An Event cache by SoDoWe Event Date: None To Soon!

(actually, GCHEAT is a real waypoint, but for a multicache, not for an event)

You forgot the short description:

6.gif

An Event cache by SoDoWe Event Date: None To Soon!

This is an event for all you cheaters! I already know you will log "Attended" without actually attending, so I look forward to NOT seeing you all there!

HI all

These type of challenges to me are like look at what I have done can you match it. Kinda of like patting yourself on the back challenges. Unless you can validate cachers completing the challenge stop crying. I laugh at people in your shoes. :laughing: It's just a game. :ph34r:

Just another reason I find challenge caches silly.

Someone will now check my statistics to show that I've log a few challenges. I could of course "cheat" and change these finds to notes, if that would prove my point. There are a number of caches that I;ve found. I would like to log them as found, since I found them. But some cache owners insist on deleting my log if I can't show that I met their challenge. So these are logged with a note until such time as either: I meet the challenge in my normal course of geocaching, or TPTB realize that awarding cache finds for accomplishing challenges is silly and ban the practice.

I do find it silly that someone would lie about a streak to gain a smiley, but no less silly that a cache owner would (ab)use the smiley to reward someone for achieving a streak.

Edited by tozainamboku

I suppose if you really, really cared and had way to much free time you could look at his matrix and check the caches he logged when he only had one on that day. See if they were edited and what day. You could make an inference that one edited on the day he only had one might be suspect.

Personally I would spend that time caching or enjoying my signature line.

If you are going to point out your sig line you really should correct the typo. dry.gif

drinds?

Edited by WRASTRO

In our area we have the record holder Kablooey. So if anyone claims to pass him, well everyone would know that cacher is cheating. Unless Kablooey misses just one day..which so far he hasn't.

I tried for the 366 challenge and I was a few days short of getting it, when one day I couldn't get out to find one to keep it going. I am going to have to wait til the next leap year.

Edited by jellis

SIGH...... life is full of disappointments....... BTW I think fishing is silly but that doesn't make me want to hassle people who do it! Geocaching is silly too if you really think about it....think i will just a deep breath and move on..... just takes the gloss off a bit......... thanks, I am leaving this thread t run it course.

6.gif

An Event cache by SoDoWe DirtbagGeocachingSociety Event Date: None To Soon!

This is an event for all you cheaters! I already know you will log "Attended" without actually attending, so I look forward to NOT seeing you all there!

Messed up the event organizer's name, too.

6.gif

An Event cache by SoDoWe DirtbagGeocachingSociety Event Date: None To Soon!

Messed up the event organizer's name, too.

I thought about it, but decided not to go there.

How can you cheat on a streak? Either you remove all your clothes or you don't!

What?? Oh, not THAT kind of streak. I guess I'm showing my age...

I remember when it was a popular activity as well. There was this one guy in my high school that always seem to push the envelope on socially unacceptable activity. There were a few others that streaked but when he did it at a PTA meeting he raised the bar to a level that nobody else tried to surpass.