Something I cannot stand.

Does this confuse or annoy anyone else? I often go to look up a puzzle cache and there is no instructions. I am not so much talking about the ones that are letters/numbers and you have to kinda guess till it makes sense. I am talking about the "Here is a picture of a bird, now figure out the coords" type puzzles. How is that even a puzzle? I think all puzzles should have some kind instructions or a decent hint.

you are in my area so I can imagine you have quite a few puzzles where you have no clue how to start. Some puzzles have actually no visible puzzle on the page.

I do not think the NW is any different in this having tried to start out of state puzzles from time to time.

You just have to learn the tricks if you want to solve some. HTML. Trackables. Patterns. Background Images. Hidden Text. So many ideas.

Most COs in our area are willing to give hints if you ask, I can say that for a certainty. Past finders may too.

Am sure there are many puzzles you can do if you want straightforward ones. The PEACE puzzles are relatively straightforward. A great example of fun puzzles in the NW are ones by PhilNi.

Not all puzzles are meant to be easy. I will agree some puzzles are so darn minimal that really there is no human way you can solve them by looking at them.

I think all puzzles should have some kind instructions or a decent hint.

That would annoy people who prefer to solve a real mystery. Some people don't like a puzzle that has hints or instructions.

And I also can't figure out the one with just a picture of a bird. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

LOL, totally know what you mean. Those puzzles that are really really hard unless you know how.

The problem is alot of people solve these simply by asking their friends for a hint. Which kind of defeats the point.

As annoying as these are, I am much more annoyed by puzzles that require you to Google alot of stuff which you are not interested in learning about. Such as 'How many different kinds of sheep are there in the world?' or 'In what year did the Queen learn how to ride a horse?' :rolleyes:

I do these puzzles mostly because I need to know where puzzle finals are. If it weren't for that, they'd go straight on the ignore list.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

That would annoy people who prefer to solve a real mystery. Some people don't like a puzzle that has hints or instructions.

Which one was it? Or just a quip re the OP?

I like most types of the 'unknown/mystery/puzzle' type caches... I don't get them all (yet) but they are very satisfying to do.

I have to admit the one in another thread in NZ has be scratching my head, but I claim tired out status this week. I did manage one mentioned from Wichita KS today. Most only take a few minutes, so I don't always get the angst... either try them or walk away.

I think YODA had it right... Do or don't do, try is not an option.

Doug 7rxc

Like this one? Cache :laughing:

I know you tried to hunt a few caches in that general area. Yep, wetland! :laughing:

Ooooo I hate puzzles. I have enough challenge just finding the dang cache with coords. :unsure: I was so annoyed to find a bunch of regular size caches in my backyard are actually puzzles located who know where.

One is just a a bunch of pirate flags. Grrrrr. Or rather, arg.

Does this confuse or annoy anyone else? I often go to look up a puzzle cache and there is no instructions. I am not so much talking about the ones that are letters/numbers and you have to kinda guess till it makes sense. I am talking about the "Here is a picture of a bird, now figure out the coords" type puzzles. How is that even a puzzle? I think all puzzles should have some kind instructions or a decent hint.

If it had instructions it wouldn't be much of a puzzle. These kinds of individual frustration are why the Ignore List was created.

I like puzzles where I know what to do. I hate puzzles where I haven't a clue. There's plenty of those around me. Used to bug me until one day I decided there was no way I was ever going to find all the traditionals near me let alone all the puzzles. Once I let go of attempting them all, caching got a lot less frustrating.

Often, the heart of the puzzle is to figure out what the puzzle is. Once you find the puzzle, solving it is relatively trivial.

And yes, some of us enjoy this kind of puzzle cache.

[edit: fix misspelling]

Edited by niraD

I can find that bird with my GPS. It's a piece of cake.

Edited by ngrrfan

So, do you not like it when there's too much information on the page, or not enough?

Yeah, no particular bird. But I was vaguely thinking of this one with just a picture:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=43476bbe-9b08-4702-a1b0-1d45f1c982ac

I thought of several ways coords may be "hidden in the picture", none panned out.

There are lots of fairly standard ways of hiding coordinates in a picture. I didn't bother looking at this one, so it might not be one of the 3 or 4 obvious ways.

Sometimes I like to put out puzzles with no images, and hardly any text at all. Very spartan. Very simple. http://coord.info/GC2K2G0

I'd put that at the bottom of my pile. So in some ways, I'm like the OP -- I'd prefer to be able to make sense of a puzzle. If it looks impossible, seems to be missing... something, I may ignore it. Maybe I'll ponder it once in a blue moon...

It's not that "I can't stand" it. I'm intrigued, but let's just say I'm waiting for an epiphany. There's nothing more I can do til a light comes on, someday. I don't ask around for the answer. That's cheating... and I don't want to ruin it and rob myself of an interesting puzzle.

I have a cache friend who will sometimes email me "have you solved the [picture of a bird] cache yet?", as a way of politely saying "Hey, dude, even you can figure this one out! Sheesh!!"

Often I discover a puzzle is boring, tedious, even has some mistakes (maybe I can brute-force that one digit). So I'd love to know which puzzles are elegant, quality, one-of-a-kind self-contained mysteries to solve. No hint or instructions, just me and my brain. If I could only remember where I put it...

Edited by kunarion

Well I have trouble with those bird ones too. But sometimes it could be buried. Wait! did I say buried?

The ones I pull my hair on are the ones where there is nothing on the page, hidden in PS or WT. Just totally blank except "not at the posted coords" No hints and cachers seem to solve them easily. Hmmmm

LOL, totally know what you mean. Those puzzles that are really really hard unless you know how.

The problem is alot of people solve these simply by asking their friends for a hint. Which kind of defeats the point.

As annoying as these are, I am much more annoyed by puzzles that require you to Google alot of stuff which you are not interested in learning about. Such as 'How many different kinds of sheep are there in the world?' or 'In what year did the Queen learn how to ride a horse?' :rolleyes:

Now this I don't get. Maybe it might be some useless piece of information I might never use but I hope that I never stop learning new things. In fact, after you posted this I wondered, "how many different sheep *are* there in the world?" The ones that annoy me are those that required a Google search to obtain some information, and depending on what web site you find, you get different results and have to guess which source of data the CO might have used.

The way I see it, every puzzle cache is a potential learning experience. If I come across a puzzle that *appears* just to be a picture of bird, I'm going to try a few things that I know that can be used hide a set of coordinates in an image. If I don't solve it, I start looking for other ways that one can use to hide coordinates in an image....or perhaps, there are other ways to hide a puzzle that have nothing to do with the image. Over time, one will learn a variety of ways to hide a puzzle on a cache page listing, and each time you discover a new method you're adding to your knowledge about how to solve puzzles.

For the puzzle that Chilihead posted it took me all of about 3 seconds to identify where the puzzle was (unless that was a red herring) because I had encountered that method before. I didn't solve it, but I have an idea how it might work.

My favorite kind of puzzles are those that have something fairly simple to solve that reveals another layer of the puzzle. There may be clues in a variety of places and it may have multiple layers, that you peel like an onion, sucking you in until you *have* to figure out where it leads.

Yeah, no particular bird. But I was vaguely thinking of this one with just a picture:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=43476bbe-9b08-4702-a1b0-1d45f1c982ac

I thought of several ways coords may be "hidden in the picture", none panned out.

Thanks for the response... I'll see if I can figure it out... Those PMO only everyone else go away screens can be tough! :rolleyes:

I have a friend with a PM account and he likes puzzles too, but I did FTF the PMO multi he created to annoy me.

I'm resourceful at least... but not rich!

Doug 7rxc

I like puzzles where I know what to do. I hate puzzles where I haven't a clue. There's plenty of those around me. Used to bug me until one day I decided there was no way I was ever going to find all the traditionals near me let alone all the puzzles. Once I let go of attempting them all, caching got a lot less frustrating.

+100

They are maddening, to be certain. DarkZen, who once haunted the Monterey to San Jose area of California was a master of the hair-ripping, banging-head-on-wall "try to figure out what I did there" puzzles. They certainly do force you to think outside the box. Often the answers are pretty simple, once you identify the context. Good mental gymnastics for keeping old brains nimble.

Like many I assume, I have a love/hate relationship with puzzles. I love it when I solve them, and hate it when I cant!

With the puzzles which have limited information and you have no idea where to start - that I have solved(with help or otherwise): Sometimes I think in hindsight how clever it was, and why didn't I see it sooner. Sometimes I think the owner is expecting you to guess something in his/her head - even knowing the answer I can't see how anyone could possibly get there without help from the owner.

Like many I assume, I have a love/hate relationship with puzzles. I love it when I solve them, and hate it when I cant!

With the puzzles which have limited information and you have no idea where to start - that I have solved(with help or otherwise): Sometimes I think in hindsight how clever it was, and why didn't I see it sooner. Sometimes I think the owner is expecting you to guess something in his/her head - even knowing the answer I can't see how anyone could possibly get there without help from the owner.

I think the largest obstacle is Sphere of Experience - These often fall into the unfamiliar and therefore we're grappling with trying to find the meaning. I have one, which is very simple, but you have to figure out what you are looking at .. one word and the difficulty drops from 4 to 1. Indeede, love-hate relationship, but far better to wrestle with these than trying to figure out a custom nano hide in a cover-rich location.

Working out how to solve a puzzle is the only purpose of a puzzle. For example there are set ways to solve a rubix cube, you might solve it by trail and error or you might, through practice, know how. If part of a rubix cube was instructions on how to get all the colours in a certain place it wouldn't be a puzzle, it would be a messed up cube with instruction on how to 'fix' it. There is nothing wrong with hints and instructions, but they shouldn't be a starting point. Imagine a crossword where every cyrptic clue had an explaination.

I agree. I enjoy the 'frustration' of solving a puzzle from the comfort of my armchair more than the frustration of scrabbling around under hedges looking for boxes. Some puzzle are really frustrating, but have a greater degree of satisfaction once you crack them. What I don't understand are puzzles that have only one or two finds in the first few months and then nothing for several years; these might be okay as hard puzzles, but they are useless as geocaches. Although I'm always happy to give as much or little help on our puzzles as needed, I really don't like asking for hints; once I reach that point it's through frustration and the satisfaction is lost. Hence another thing I don't understand: puzzles where virtually every log mentions that they had a hint from the owner or a previous finder; if that's the case just put the hint on the page... at least I can have a peek and pretend I didn't :lol:

I don't understand: puzzles where virtually every log mentions that they had a hint from the owner or a previous finder; if that's the case just put the hint on the page... at least I can have a peek and pretend I didn't :lol:

Most of those are due to people wanting to go find caches, with a CO who will provide coords when asked. But some puzzle caches are just plain lousy puzzles full of typos, poorly made. If there's a long string of "needed a hint from the CO" due to the puzzle being bad, maybe there should be an NH log type. "Needs Hint". :anicute:

When a new puzzle comes out (here in AZ), I immediately look at the cache page. If I don't have some idea of how to proceed within about two minutes, it goes on the IGNORE list.

Occasionally I review those caches and do manage to get some insight on one or two. Mostly they are just waiting there for archival. :D

When a new puzzle comes out (here in AZ), I immediately look at the cache page. If I don't have some idea of how to proceed within about two minutes, it goes on the IGNORE list.

There are plenty that are very clear on what to do. I just don't feel like spending the time on them. "Oh joy, a sudoku" <_<, stuff like that. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

No the most frustrating puzzle is the one you know how to solve, in fact you've solved various others exactly like it, and it still won't work!

I'll have to come back to this thread when I have more time there's some interesting puzzles.

For me, the most frustrating kinds of puzzle caches are the ones where I've solved the puzzle, confirmed the solution via geochecker etc, but for one reason or another I can't go out and find the cache yet... the waiting is the hardest part! For example, I have a bunch of puzzle caches I've solved which I cannot physically get to quite yet due to health issues. Then there's this amazingly awesome puzzle cache in Texas which I solved, but yeah, it's in Texas and I'm not!

Asking for a hint doesn't strike me as that bad. I ask for and give hints all the time. A lot of people "solve" these simply by asking their friends for the answer. That really defeats the point, although to each his own.

To the OP: I definitely know what you mean. I skipped the ones that don't look like puzzles for a long time until I got the real puzzle bug.

But the point is that the entire cache description is a puzzle, not just a way to present internally self contained puzzles. So sometimes people make the first step in the puzzle figuring out what the puzzle is. Sometimes this can be a lot of fun, especially when you finally discover the trick or theme and everything comes together. Once in a while, it can be frustrating because the CO hasn't really put enough into the puzzle for people to follow the logic.

One great source of information is the logs. First of all, in the rare cases where the logs are negative, you might not want to waste your time. More often the logs will tell you that it's a really fun puzzle worth the extra effort. In addition, previous finders might drop hints to help you get on the right track.

The important point is, though, to do what you want. I skip a lot of puzzle caches because they don't appeal to me. Many of those have later seemed more interesting, so I've solved them, but I find it more fun to approach them in my own sweet time.

Asking for a hint doesn't strike me as that bad. I ask for and give hints all the time. A lot of people "solve" these simply by asking their friends for the answer. That really defeats the point, although to each his own.

And some people won't even ask their friends for the answer but will got out caching with a friend that has solved a puzzle and already has the final coordinates in their GPS. I came across a 5D/5T puzzle cache once that had a puzzle that appeared to be very difficult, and then once the final coordinate were obtained required a fairly long paddle in a kayak or canoe to an island and a bit of a hike after that. There was a photo in the logs which showed about 15 people searching for the final container. I can only speculate on how many of those people actually solved the puzzle.

There is another means for solving puzzles that has not yet been mentioned. If you can find someone else that has not yet solved a puzzle you can collaborate with that person and work together on a solution. I've done this with people locally and others that are hundreds of miles away. For a difficult puzzle with many levels to it, this can be a great way to improve ones puzzle solving skills while each person contributes ideas which work (or often more importantly, won't work) to solve pieces of the puzzle. It might not be as satisfying as solving a puzzle yourself, but you're (hopefully) contributing equally to a final solution and not just getting a hint or outright solutions from somebody that has solved for the final coordinates.

To the OP: I definitely know what you mean. I skipped the ones that don't look like puzzles for a long time until I got the real puzzle bug.

But the point is that the entire cache description is a puzzle, not just a way to present internally self contained puzzles.

A puzzle can use much more than the cache description. Anything related to the cache listing can be fair game. The cache name, the "placed by" name, "Users Web Site", logs, travel bug pages (and the owners of those TBs) associated with the listing, and pretty much any piece of information related to the web site that the CO can manipulate could be used as part of the puzzle, a clue, or a red herring.

What I don't understand are puzzles that have only one or two finds in the first few months and then nothing for several years; these might be okay as hard puzzles, but they are useless as geocaches.
Are these really any different from remote non-puzzle caches that go months (or even years) between finds? In one case the obstacle is the location and terrain. In the other the obstacle is the puzzle. But I don't think the measure of a geocache is the number of people who find it, or the frequency with which it is found.

I don't have a problem with people asking for hints. It's when 90% of cachers need to ask for a hint to solve a puzzle, IMO, the puzzle owner should just put it on the cache page.

I decided to ask the CO on the pirate puzzle that I've decide to tackle. His hint was to print the page in black in white and stare at it. Or something like that, he was very nice.

I hope I get the swing of this, my neck of the woods seems to be a dumping ground for puzzles.

What I don't understand are puzzles that have only one or two finds in the first few months and then nothing for several years; these might be okay as hard puzzles, but they are useless as geocaches.
Are these really any different from remote non-puzzle caches that go months (or even years) between finds? In one case the obstacle is the location and terrain. In the other the obstacle is the puzzle. But I don't think the measure of a geocache is the number of people who find it, or the frequency with which it is found.

Very good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. I should have really, as one of our caches is a puzzle but it seems to be the walk that puts most people off. And I agree with the point about frequency, the bulk of our finds are on less frequented caches.

I guess I had in mind a few particular puzzles where it seems the CO takes a certain pride in 'outwitting' everyone... 3 star difficulty and a couple of finds in 3 or 4 years.

Of course that could be sour grapes because I had to throw in the towel. :D

I can't stand having to slog through bad spelling, grammar and punctuation, to decide if the text flaws are part of the puzzle.

Apparently it save time 2 right quick n not worry bout punctuation...

Of course that doesn't take into account the extra time it takes others to read it. <_<B)

Edit to correct typo :lol:

Edited by Willie Wandering

Hey, OP, I must have had you in mind when I created this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9649ff63-38b1-4a9b-88e5-3e501663d0c9

DZ

cool.gif

That kinda makes things worse, telling us that it's not in the source code, not invisible text nor tiny coords. When I can't identify what I'm supposed to "solve", at least I know I can try a couple of things while I think it over. A description that says "there's nothing to see here" shuts me down. At first, I thought "that's a good idea to tell people, up front, that they don't have to tear the page apart", but then I realized it's kind of obnoxious (no offense :ph34r:).

That, and puzzles I've been looking at for years, tend to have a difficulty of "2". So I must be a complete idiot, in which case I should skip it. Or the CO has rated it very wrong, in which case I should skip it. :P

Edited by kunarion

That kinda makes things worse, telling us that it's not in the source code, not invisible text nor tiny coords. When I can't identify what I'm supposed to "solve", at least I know I can try a couple of things while I think it over. A description that says "there's nothing to see here" shuts me down. At first, I thought "that's a good idea to tell people, up front, that they don't have to tear the page apart", but then I realized it's kind of obnoxious (no offense :ph34r:).

That's exactly what I thought when I went to the page. I thought, "well, there nothing I can do here..."

have seen some great single picture puzzles though. Here is one of my favorites.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6772ea8b-1ba2-4558-8438-01b2f77e31ab

Would you have eventually figured it out on your own? If it requires contacting the CO, it's a secret, but not really a puzzle.

I notice that logs rarely mention the puzzle itself, about how long it took to decode, how much paperwork or research, how it compares to other similar ones. I do not want any hint about the code, but knowing if it generally takes five minutes or five months, that's important to me. Sometimes the log will say "I got three numbers over the past year, some friends helped with a couple of numbers, will work on another number over the next week", and I get a better idea of the amount of work required. IMHO, people should at least mention whether or not they got help.

Yours [lamoracke] is the only log that sorta tells me that I either know it or I don't -- "I wonder what this is... hmm... *pondering occurs*... AHA!"

Edited by kunarion

That's exactly what I thought when I went to the page. I thought, "well, there nothing I can do here..."

If the puzzle is solvable, that's not true. There is something to do, but it just might not be obvious. Knowing that it's not in the source code, invisible text, or tiny coordinates would let me know that I shouldn't waste my time looking at something that isn't going to help. With all the possible places to hide a puzzle, sometimes solving a puzzle is about eliminating all the possible mechanism one might use until you're left with just one possibility. I once did a puzzle that just had a photo in the description. The photo was stored on an external site and the file name was an encryption of the digits of the coordinates. The photo itself served no purpose other than in required a name (as part of the URL) to display it.