Premium Membership as FTF prize

So I'm planning my first series of hides. Each hide will have a clue to lead you to a 'final' cache that will be a puzzle cache. I'd like the offer a Premium Membership as a FTF prize. I'm fairly certain it's pretty easy to do. I'm just wondering if Groundspeak has any rules or regs against it?

I know caches aren't supposed to be commercial in nature and this could be technically promoting Groundspeak. Though, I'd imagine using the term Travel Bug® would't be allowed either.

I've seen it before and I think its fantastic. Some people can't afford a premium membership or simply don't know what the benefits are, this is a very kind way of introducing them to that. If the FTFer ends up being one that has a Premium Member will you just ask them to leave it for the next person that doesn't?

Truth of the matter is... Usually, it is going to be a PM that gets the FTF, because of notifications. Not that a PM couldn't use it for extension, but if the point of the prize is to gift it to a non-premium member, I just don't see it working as such being a FTF prize.

Just something to ponder.

Very true. Give some kind of FTF prize the first PM to find it and then also give a membership to the first non PM to find it. How 'bout that? :)

Truth of the matter is... Usually, it is going to be a PM that gets the FTF, because of notifications. Not that a PM couldn't use it for extension, but if the point of the prize is to gift it to a non-premium member, I just don't see it working as such being a FTF prize.

Very true. Give some kind of FTF prize the first PM to find it and then also give a membership to the first non PM to find it. How 'bout that? :)

+1

That's a great idea. Just thinking out loud here, the FTF probably wouldn't need it, as the ones getting the notifications are premium member already.

You could put it down as 'Prize for the first non-premium member to find it.'

The only other thing you might consider is if this would be money well spent. Those who could use a premium membership would probalby already have purchased one. Those who are maybe not in need of one might not really use it even if they got it. Just a thought, you know the cachers in your area best. Think about who the FTF hounds are and who would be likely to get it.

Another idea is to put cash in the cache, so they can either buy a PM or maybe some donut holes. :D

The idea of giving a prize is for people to try for it.

If someone tries for it, they should get it, no matter who they are!!!!!

I just paid my yearly membership dues, but would love to try for a cache that gave me my next year free. Works for me. That would get me out there.

What good is winning a prize if you're not allowed to claim it??

I say, don't offer it if you're not going to give it to it's rightful owner.

If you say FTF, then give it to FTF. Period.

(For those who didn't notice, the prize is for a puzzle which would require finding all of the other caches first, so it would be a longer process, for which some regular members may have more of a chance.)

The idea of giving a prize is for people to try for it.

If someone tries for it, they should get it, no matter who they are!!!!!

I just paid my yearly membership dues, but would love to try for a cache that gave me my next year free. Works for me. That would get me out there.

What good is winning a prize if you're not allowed to claim it??

I say, don't offer it if you're not going to give it to it's rightful owner.

If you say FTF, then give it to FTF. Period.

(For those who didn't notice, the prize is for a puzzle which would require finding all of the other caches first, so it would be a longer process, for which some regular members may have more of a chance.)

Exactly! Well said.

The only other thing you might consider is if this would be money well spent. Those who could use a premium membership would probalby already have purchased one. Those who are maybe not in need of one might not really use it even if they got it.

That's not true at all. Plenty of people don't cache enough to buy a Premium membership, but would appreciate it if someone bought them one.

That's a great idea. Just thinking out loud here, the FTF probably wouldn't need it, as the ones getting the notifications are premium member already.

Those who could use a premium membership would probalby already have purchased one. Those who are maybe not in need of one might not really use it even if they got it.

I'm in agreement with Ambient Skater. I'm guessing that most non PM cachers would love a free year's membership to GC.com! I'm also guessing that any PM that has already paid their yearly fee would love to get the next year's fee for FREE. I sure would.

So I'm planning my first series of hides. Each hide will have a clue to lead you to a 'final' cache that will be a puzzle cache. I'd like the offer a Premium Membership as a FTF prize. I'm fairly certain it's pretty easy to do. I'm just wondering if Groundspeak has any rules or regs against it?

I know caches aren't supposed to be commercial in nature and this could be technically promoting Groundspeak. Though, I'd imagine using the term Travel Bug® would't be allowed either.

I recently gave away a registered gsak as ftf prize on a puzzle.

my reviewer was fine with it long as i didn't link to it on the page.

if anyones curious heres the puzzleDressed to the 9's

its going to be a puzzle. i don't see many of the hounds here doing puzzles and a harder puzzle can sit a while before being found.

however i'd find it kind of tacky for a PM to claim the membership over letting someone that can't afford one to take it.

I recently gave away a registered gsak as ftf prize on a puzzle.

my reviewer was fine with it long as i didn't link to it on the page.

I thought Groundspeak had a close relationship with GSAK?

they may but it still falls within the downloading executable code guideline.

however i'd find it kind of tacky for a PM to claim the membership over letting someone that can't afford one to take it.

That is so illogical.

how so? i guess the whole world revolves around you.

*I* would give it to someone less fortunate that couldn't afford it.

what does the word PREMIUM mean to you ?

are you some sort of OVER person ?

the coolest of cachers are PM ?

or the ones with the biggest cars ?

all the others are loosers ?

I so much hate the word PREMIUM MEMBER..

offcourse it is great to let some pay for features they need or want,

specially if they use it alot and allready got alot of money to spend,

and also some people who dont use it alot, should not care and can be just as happy not paying a dime at all,

I dont know, I am a PM and I use the PQ a few times a month and is happy about, it helps me to save time.

I did try to give away a PM gift to one of my (not that active) geocacher friends, as a birthday present..

just for fun to see if this could enqurage him to get out caching a bit more with me :-)

he got one of them good garmin units so now he can make PQ and transfer alot and all that..

it is now 3 month ago, and not one single cache did he find since.

so was it all wasted ?

I think if I got him a coin he could activate, and put out to travel, it could also be fun,

actually more fun for more people :-)

you are offcourse welcome to put what ever as a FTF price,

what about a 100 $ or a new car ?

or a greencard ? a new job ? a burger meal ?

Edited by OZ2CPU

WOW! I've never had so much activity on one of my posts before. The crack at TravelBugs was just me joking a bit. I've heard of cache listings being rejected because of "possible commercial promotion just because they used a word like TupperWare. I know not all reviewers are alike. Like anything, a few rotten apples spoil the bunch.

I do like the idea of a FTF prize for a premium member and then another (the Premium Membership) for the regular member. Actually, after reading up on the rules & regulations for placing a cache I've learnt you can change a premium cache into a regular cache. So I think I'm going to list the series as premium first and then release it to regular members with FTF's for both.

For those who think I'm made of $$ or something. That's so not true. Keep in mind this is going to be a 6 cache series with a puzzle cache as the final. The FTF will be in the final. I might put $1 in the individual caches. But I doubt it.