Had to report a crime :P

I know this sort of thing has happened to cachers before but I don't regularly read these forums. Just thought I'd share my little geocaching adventure for the weekend.

Went caching with a couple friends on Saturday; one of them was driving and navigating (it was his neighborhood) so I didn't really know where we were. We went out to some business complex. There was a security guard cruising around the parking lot so we waiting for him to go away before moving in. Right by the tree the cache was in we found a busted-up safe and cash drawer with various things scattered about like a receipt book, gift cards, and what seemed to be some kind of disk drive. My friends poked about with it but I was the only one who wanted to do something about it so I looked up the address on the receipt book and found out it belonged to a local massage place. I found their number and called them and yes they had had a break in recently. I reluctantly left my cel number with them but said I couldn't stay on the scene to wait for a cop because I wasn't driving and my friends wanted to leave. I didn't even know were we were but I got one of the guys to check his gps for where we were and I gave the massage place an address. I didn't know if the cops could find the place on their own and sure enough, a cop called me about 10 minutes later while we were hunting for another cache. All I could do was tell him I really didn't have any more info for him, and that someone who knew the area should have been the one to call but I was the only one willing to do it. I had to explain geocaching for him and give him the website address because he wanted to know why we were poking around by the trees. I had to give him my address and everything which I didn't like doing but I guess he needed to fill out paperwork.

I had a sneaking suspicion the media would want to talk to me if they heard about this - I'm not even quite sure why but I just had this feeling. Sure enough, while I was making dinner tonight (Sunday) the phone rang again. It was someone from the Sheriff's office, she told me FOX News wanted to talk to me. I said no without asking for details. I don't know exactly what they wanted, they might be doing a piece on that break-in and wanted someone to talk about how they found the stuff.

Of course, if that security guard we saw had been paying attention, HE would have found it. ;)

Edited by NeitherSparky

Interesting story! I've found a lot of weird stuff, but never a cash register! Too bad your friends didn't want to stick around - I'd have been mad at the driver for making me choose between waiting for the cops or losing my ride. I'm glad you called the business and set the ball into motion for them to recover their stuff.

You did right. Think of it this way and see what you'd want someone else to do. You come home tonight and someone had broken in and taken your TV, computer, you check book, credit cards, and everything else you think of value. Tomorrow someone is walking around the woods and finds some items with your name and address on them. What would you want them to do?

I had a sneaking suspicion the media would want to talk to me if they heard about this - I'm not even quite sure why but I just had this feeling. Sure enough, while I was making dinner tonight (Sunday) the phone rang again. It was someone from the Sheriff's office, she told me FOX News wanted to talk to me. I said no without asking for details. I don't know exactly what they wanted, they might be doing a piece on that break-in and wanted someone to talk about how they found the stuff.

Of course, if that security guard we saw had been paying attention, HE would have found it. ;)

But he didn't and a geocacher found it instead. I think you did the right thing but you also may have missed an opportunity to use the media to present geocaching in a favorable light.

Maybe he did find it also but that is not in his job discription, and he don't like calling the Cops either?

I have found two Meth labs while geocaching. I reported the second one, but I did not know what the first one was. Just a tent and coffee filters and stuff. Both looked like a homeless camp, and both were tents. The second find I was more educated on the subject, but what I first saw was a trip wire. It only had cans attached and not a IED. I back tracked and informed the Police. Now the problem is epidemic and Meth lab component dump sites are common but have slowed down. Seems bath salts which is still sold in Head Shops locally is the dopers choice. The Shop owners have a Federal court date set because of local Laws newly written to combat the problem. It's a real mess in Tennessee with OTC sales of synthetic drugs designed to mimic illegal drugs.

... I didn't even know were we were but I got one of the guys to check his gps for where we were and I gave the massage place an address. I didn't know if the cops could find the place on their own...

In a situation such as this, just give the cops your GPS coordinates. Even if the cops don't have a GPS, they can feed the coords into Google Maps on their in-car computer (or worst case, the dispatcher can do this). Then they can see exactly where you (or the goods) are.

I never could fathom why someone who was a witness to some event would feel any reluctance to contact law enforcement, but I can say the OP is not alone in their feelings. The area I work in is very rural, and unless there are bodies piling up, they will not call us. :unsure:

You could never fathom? I've read a lot of your posts, and it really does sound like you're a particularly nice guy, and probably a good cop. But if it hasn't hit you yet that not all in your profession are part of the good guys, you may need to look a little closer.

I never could fathom why someone who was a witness to some event would feel any reluctance to contact law enforcement, but I can say the OP is not alone in their feelings. The area I work in is very rural, and unless there are bodies piling up, they will not call us. :unsure:

The area that I live in is very rural and neighbors depend on each other. Most of us have a plan if we need help, I have my neighbors on speed dial. 911 is a last option and seldom used to call Law enforcement. I think that the bad guys know what you and I know. No disrespect for our fine patrol officers, they simply can not respond quick enough because of the size of their patrol area. It's a drug crazed World that we live in, and armed home invasion is common. I was the intended victim in one a few years ago. I nearly took one of six young doped up men's life with a 12 gauge shotgun, so close I threw up after I convienced them to get back in their vehicles and leave. I did call the police and a report was filed. It only took the officer one hour and fifty min's to arrive on scene.

...not all in your profession are part of the good guys...

I am quite aware of that. Every time some goober gets a badge, it makes the rest of us look bad. Especially to the mindless mooks who equate the actions of one goober with the morals of all, as in, "All you cops do is..." But statistics are on our side, as there are better odds for a Priest to go bad than for a cop to go bad.

But in a situation where you are only a passing witness, such as the OP, I can't believe that anyone would be so paranoid as to believe even the most evil cop would cause them problems. Had the OP been up to something shady, (not necessarilly illegal), then I might understand their fear of involving law enforcement, but they were doing something perfectly legal, in a place they were presumably allowed to be. I see it as akin to me walking across the parking lot to Walmart and finding a purse in the bushes. Why would I fear interaction with law enforcement, over something like that?

I have my neighbors on speed dial. 911 is a last option

That sounds sort of like my area. Very self reliant. I respect a community that looks out for one another. In most cases, if someone is trying to kick your front door down, a call to your neighbor will take all of a few seconds, while a call to a 911 operator can last a long, long time, as the dispatcher tries to get all the relavent information that they think will help the responding units. In your case, calling the cops is something that is done, eventually, once the emergency is over, and that's OK. Where I work that is often not the case. Typically, when we find out about a violent confrontation, it is through some third party, and trying to determine what actually happened is practically impossible.

Over heard at the scene of a shootout between neighbors:

"Why would we call the pole-lease? Can't none of them Parker boys shoot worth a darn"

Yup. That's my world. :lol:

I am quite aware of that. Every time some goober gets a badge, it makes the rest of us look bad. Especially to the mindless mooks who equate the actions of one goober with the morals of all, as in, "All you cops do is..." But statistics are on our side, as there are better odds for a Priest to go bad than for a cop to go bad.

But in a situation where you are only a passing witness, such as the OP, I can't believe that anyone would be so paranoid as to believe even the most evil cop would cause them problems. Had the OP been up to something shady, (not necessarilly illegal), then I might understand their fear of involving law enforcement, but they were doing something perfectly legal, in a place they were presumably allowed to be. I see it as akin to me walking across the parking lot to Walmart and finding a purse in the bushes. Why would I fear interaction with law enforcement, over something like that?

I have my neighbors on speed dial. 911 is a last option

That sounds sort of like my area. Very self reliant. I respect a community that looks out for one another. In most cases, if someone is trying to kick your front door down, a call to your neighbor will take all of a few seconds, while a call to a 911 operator can last a long, long time, as the dispatcher tries to get all the relavent information that they think will help the responding units. In your case, calling the cops is something that is done, eventually, once the emergency is over, and that's OK. Where I work that is often not the case. Typically, when we find out about a violent confrontation, it is through some third party, and trying to determine what actually happened is practically impossible.

Over heard at the scene of a shootout between neighbors:

"Why would we call the pole-lease? Can't none of them Parker boys shoot worth a darn"

Yup. That's my world. :lol:

:laughing:

Around here LEOs are just the neighbor that has the power to start the criminal proceedings. I live in a farm/ranching area. You take care of yourself and those around you. The police/sheriff come in and hauls away the trash, so to speak. :lol:

Yeah Riffster, it's a Glock World we live in now. I'm just a good ole' Country boy that was brought up to respect other peoples property, and that after dark everyone is a stranger and potential danger. I have a family to protect from criminals. Seems they have found out that Country folks are armed and can shoot straight, and about everyone has a yard dog. We have a saying that it is better to be judged by 12 than carryed by 6, I'm sure that you know the meaning. I'm in good standing with our Sheriff and State Troopers, many are my friends and neighbors. Also many are active National Guard or reserves, or have some formal training. Most of us are well stocked with food, enough to last a few months if need be. We even have a community center for emergency gatherings, and have worked with Law enforcement to establish a community awareness program. We have had a very mild Winter this year, but the past few years many of us have got snowed in. About everyone around here owns a generator and a ATV, and we check on each other and our seniors. One of the best ATV rides I have ever been on was a convoy of mostly active or has been's, and we all hit the back roads for a good 65 mile ride and never got far from home. I guess VDOT was thankful for all the trees we cleared from the roads. We justifyed our ride, we were just on patrol where our County officers had trouble reaching, and a few of us have police scanners on our ATV's and 2 meter radios just in case. I brought along my GPS unit, but it got so cold the batterys went dead. :laughing:

interesting stories, bact to the topic..

yes geocachers go where "normal" people dont go,

and we are trained to see and find stuff normal people oversee..

so offcourse we find spooky stash bags, and left overs from crime or theft,

or other illegal activities.

please store the gpc position as accurate as you can,

take a note of the nearest road and number,

and a direction you can tell a non geocacher how to get there, THEN call and repport it.

The problem is sometimes or actually most often,

you find "stuff" that clearly have been there for many years, what to do ??

I dont know, I guess it depends of what it is, its value to your or to any one else,

look at it, as it may entertain you like anything alse you see that is special to the site or area.

We did call the cops once during a cache trip in an industrial area, it was after dark, the area was kind of spooky, and very silent.. then suttently we see lighy from a flashligh sneeking arround inside a company,

the light go arround in many rooms, looking very strange, we point our light at the windows,

to see if he run or what he do.. but he run a bit and then light arround inside again..

while on the phone with the cops, he turn off the light, so we follow him arround and see what happens,

we feel a bit cool with the cops on the phone :-)

so now we dare to go really close, and see a security dude

walk out the company, his car was parked a bit away at other company where he also check,

so we did not note it, we tell him all is ok, we got the cops on the phone,

and his behaviour looked very odd !!

from now on, he simply turn on the light in the company and look arround :-)

The cops said thanks alot, and please call us again if anything you see looks odd,

better once too much, they like to catch in the act and stop theft..

Edited by OZ2CPU
I want to know just what you were doing in a neighborhood with massage parlors in it? Usually not the best part of town.... not that I would know or anything.... :rolleyes:

He found the cash register of the massage parlor at a business complex. Didn't say anything about how far away the massage parlor was, though since they didn't rush over immediately, I guess they're not next door.

Another way of dealing with the situation is to get hold of the security guard, point out the stuff to him, and let him call the police?

The reason I personally don't like calling the police is because it is very time consuming and one almost always gets treated like a suspect no matter what.

I want to know just what you were doing in a neighborhood with massage parlors in it? Usually not the best part of town.... not that I would know or anything.... :rolleyes:

He found the cash register of the massage parlor at a business complex. Didn't say anything about how far away the massage parlor was, though since they didn't rush over immediately, I guess they're not next door.

He also described it as a "massage place" rather than a "massage parlor", but I suspect that A & J Tooling was mostly making a joke. I wont' elaborate any further as the thread could quickly deteriorate, and it might anyway so: IBTL

Gonna run just a bit countercurrent here: caching partners and I got out of our car in the nearby hometown of Andy Griffith, and less than 5 feet away found a wallet and cell phone. A quick glance at the wallet contents suggested it belonged to a non-local, and we called the local police. An officer arrived on the scene in maybe 10 minutes or so, we showed him the find, answered a few questions, and moved onto the rest of our day with his thanks.

On another occasion, we too found a busted-open safe in the woods...turns out, its WAS the cache...

Because sadly, the job of the police officer has evolved from "protect and serve", to "make money off of the public." That is why, in situations that it's not absolutely imperative that I stick around and involve myself with the police in any way, despite my being a perfectly legal, law abiding citizen, I simply won't do it.

Your first paragraph there reminds me of something that I've heard from quite a few other professions as well. Apparently it's running rampant. As a pilot, I don't want to fly with a moron who paid for his training and that's the only reason he got the job. I want to fly with the guy who got his job because he's a solid pilot that I can depend on. My brother the fireman has the same to say about young firemen and nepotism. This seemingly growing trend does not strike me as a particularly good thing.

Had the OP been up to something shady, (not necessarilly illegal), then I might understand their fear of involving law enforcement, but they were doing something perfectly legal, in a place they were presumably allowed to be.

Well, in fairness, the were already concerned about the rent-a-cop security guard so maybe adequate permission for the cache placement was in doubt? :ph34r:

We went out to some business complex. There was a security guard cruising around the parking lot so we waiting for him to go away before moving in.

Back to topic... :D

We were caching once and came across a container that, at first glance, we thought was the cache. It contained a wallet, complete with cash, identification, credit cards, etc. There was also an MP3 player and a couple other items.

We got a phone number for the owner and tried calling him. There was no answer so we left a message saying what where we had found it and that we were going to turn it in at a nearby precinct.

What surprised us was the reaction from the cop when we explained the situation to him. He said "Ah, it was probably just someone who left it there while he went jogging or something -- you should have just left it." :unsure:

I mean, c'mon, I know it's a pretty boring and routine thing for a police officer and it just meant paperwork to him, but couldn't he at least fake an interest?

I lost my wallet when caching back in December and I'm sure happy the people who came along a couple weeks later took the time to do the right thing and return it to me.

I think I'd have told my "friend" to take off if he wanted and waited for the cops. I bet the cop would have given me a lift for being a good Samaritan, or I'd have got a cab.

Also, why not talk to the local news crews? Geocaching could use some good press. Might screw up that cache for a few days though...

been there done that. mine was a freshly stolen purse that had money and credit cards in it.

Still had money in it? Not a very good thief, then.

Well i think it had just been tossed in the bush and they were going to come back for it[landed about 3ft from the cache, I took it to the police station and made a report(what i was doing in a bush, where the purse was)]