Am I missing Something?

Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is to be FTF and have the most finds. I noticed a series of caches placed near me which were placed by one cacher. I liked the subject of the series and we decided to spend this week and next finding them.

as I went through the different caches on the website, I noticed one cacher had gone out, almsot immediately, and began grabbing all the "goods" and making sure he/she was FTF on almost all of them. They grabbed 10 caches and was FTF on all of them. They even commented on one log that they were exhausted and couldn't do any more that day. Their plan was to be FTF on all the caches in the series.

I don't know about everyone else here, but we do this for the fun and adventure and exercise. do we need to change our plans and begin rushing out and racing to be FTF and get all the "goods" before anyone else? Did we not see this to be a competition before we joined? Is there a prize for having the most finds? What are we missing?

Just some thoughts. Anyone????

Edited by wildlifeupclose

Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is to be FTF and have the most finds. I noticed a series of caches placed near me which were placed by one cacher. I liked the subject of the series and we decided to spend this week and next finding them.

as I went through the different caches on the website, I noticed one cacher had gone out, almsot immediately, and began grabbing all the "goods" and making sure he/she was FTF on almost all of them. They grabbed 10 caches and was FTF on all of them. They even commented on one log that they were exhausted and couldn't do any more that day. Their plan was to be FTF on all the caches in the series.

I don't know about everyone else here, but we do this for the fun and adventure and exercise. do we need to change our plans and begin rushing out and racing to be FTF and get all the "goods" before anyone else? Did we not see this to be a competition before we joined? Is there a prize for having the most finds? What are we missing?

Response to bolded bit:

And they do it for FTF. So what? People do things for different reasons on this blue marble in space. Turns out people are individuales with different motivations. If FTF is important to you then rush out like they did. If not then don't.

I see you're very new so I'll change my tone. It's just a game. People play it different ways. If you see a way that looks better to you then do that. If not then keep doing what you're doing. Most of all, have fun. That's the point.

Edited by GeotaggedBloger

Some people really like being 1st. Some people really don't care.

Neither is 'right' or 'wrong' (given they they do not violate rules/guidelines to be 1st).

Some people like having high numbers, some don't even bother keeping track of finds. Again neither way is 'right' or 'wrong'.

As far a prizes, some cache owners reward the FTF with a prize. I have a nice little decal on my geo-cruiser that was a prize for FTF.

I don't believe there is a 'prize' for finding the most caches though unless you count the experience of finding them as their own reward.

Response to bolded bit:

And they do it for FTF. So what? People do things for different reasons on this blue marble in space. Turns out people are individuales with different motivations. If FTF is important to you then rush out like they did. If not then don't.

I see you're very new so I'll change my tone. It's just a game. People play it different ways. If you see a way that looks better to you then do that. If not then keep doing what you're doing. Most of all, have fun. That's the point.

To GeotaggedBloger

Well, that's awfully kind of you to change your tone with me because I am "very new". My point is being proven more and more. FTF means nothing to us. That was not my point. But then again, it doesn't matter. It's all a game and someone has to win. Let it be the other guy if that is what he lives for. I was looking for feedback, not sarcasm or insults. I read your first reply before you edited. Nice attitude.

I went through a period where I didn't find any new caches at all. I found travelbugs in caches I'd already been to and moved them to other caches I'd already been to.

There are a LOT of different ways to play this game. I kind of agree with the way you do it.

In my area not many local cachers care much about FTF. I recently placed a new cache that went unfound for about two weeks.

Some people enjoy the FTF game. Some like having lots of finds. Some like puzzle caches. Some like long hikes to find ammo boxes. Some like having Sunday breakfast and then going caching with a group of geocachers. And so on. The nice thing about geocaching is the variety of ways to play the game. Do it the way you enjoy!

To GeotaggedBloger

Well, that's awfully kind of you to change your tone with me because I am "very new". My point is being proven more and more. FTF means nothing to us. That was not my point. But then again, it doesn't matter. It's all a game and someone has to win. Let it be the other guy if that is what he lives for. I was looking for feedback, not sarcasm or insults. I read your first reply before you edited. Nice attitude.

No need to get upset. I'm sorry if my post inflamed you. I was just trying to help. I knew I shouldn't have put the 'changed my tone' part in there. I posted it, and re-read it. I noticed it was a little 'toney' with the "what were you hoping to find here" line. Then I noticed your join date was this month and I felt even worse...so I changed it.

The point of my post remains though and I'd just suggest you go out and do it and not worry about how others play. If you see them getting FTF's and think to yourself, "I'd like to get some of those" then great! Go do it if that's important to you. Obviously it's important to them and that's why they do it. That's all. Again, sorry if I incited you in some way.

To GeotaggedBloger

No need to get upset. I'm sorry if my post inflamed you. I was just trying to help. I knew I shouldn't have put the 'changed my tone' part in there. I posted it, and re-read it. I noticed it was a little 'toney' with the "what were you hoping to find here" line. Then I noticed your join date was this month and I felt even worse...so I changed it.

The point of my post remains though and I'd just suggest you go out and do it and not worry about how others play. If you see them getting FTF's and think to yourself, "I'd like to get some of those" then great! Go do it if that's important to you. Obviously it's important to them and that's why they do it. That's all. Again, sorry if I incited you in some way.

My point of the post was to see how others see this issue as well as to see how others like to go about geocaching. We are not interested in being FTF. It's not why we joined and do this. I just do not understand the race to be FTF and get the most finds.

We have spent our first month getting the idea and working on what to look for. Our goal is to begin to go and look for the difficult ones in the middle of nowhere. It's the challenge we are looking for.

As for your original reply, forget it. We'll move on.

People geocache for different reasons. Some just do it to see their find count and/or FTF count increment. You obviously cache for different reasons. There is no reason for you to change how you geocache because others do it for different reasons.

My point of the post was to see how others see this issue as well as to see how others like to go about geocaching. We are not interested in being FTF. It's not why we joined and do this. I just do not understand the race to be FTF and get the most finds.

We have spent our first month getting the idea and working on what to look for. Our goal is to begin to go and look for the difficult ones in the middle of nowhere. It's the challenge we are looking for.

As for your original reply, forget it. We'll move on.

I think some people have a much stronger competitive spirit than others and so it is in the geocaching world.

This pastime/hobby was never created to be a competitive sport but that hasn't stopped some geocachers creating their own competitive games within the game. Some will get notifications of new caches sent to their phones and leap out of bed, into their vehicles, to cross hard terrain in terrible weather conditions just to get their signature first onto a pristine log book. Others will visit a line of 500+ identical caches, one after the other, through a very long day (and night) to increase their number of finds.

And others browse casually around the listings and say, "That looks like it might be a nice cache. Shall we drive out that way this afternoon and take a look?"

Horses for courses and all that. :)

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

They who have the most FTFs when Armageddon occurs.... WIN! At that point, they can boast about it. Who would care? :o:lol::ph34r:

But... but... but... who cares now? They do, no one else.

ETA: Yeah, I like getting an FTF now and again, but it's not like I get a raise, ya know. I just can't fathom a race to get to one.

Early on, before going Premium,I did dash out pretty much at the break of dawn to grab up a new series. I met a goodly number of other cachers after the same. We chatted, discussed those we had gotten to and those we hadn't. As they were spread over a fair distance in the north woods. We simply decided who was gonna go where first. FTF or not. The trails and two-tracks simply could not support the volume of traffic that was there! It was fun, criss-crossing with the others, chatting, making geo-friends... darn near like an event cache! After that fun time, I just decided that if I'm available, and if a cache is still virgin after a day or three, then I go to it. I guess meeting and making those geo-friends overshadowed the need to rush. The need to rush never reappeared. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

If you eventually get into setting up your own cache someday, why not setup a "No FTF" cache, where as only those cachers without a FTF can claim the find. Or perhaps make sure the physical log is already pre-signed by someone/anyone who does not care about a FTF. This would discourage FTFers in your area.

If you eventually get into setting up your own cache someday, why not setup a "No FTF" cache...

Eh... would that not be an "additional logging requirement"?

Not a bad idea, but as it is open and available to everyone, I don't think that interjecting such a requirement would fly. Placing restrictions on who can/who cannot log a find is well... taboo, is it not?

In that geocaching.com does not recognize FTF as an official anything, maybe it would. Just for some reason, I don thin so...

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Different strokes..... even in the same person. When I first started it was a way I could walk my dog in new and interesting places... Not on leash in the same park every day. Then I added a goal to hit 1,000 finds. Then came a local alphanumeric challenge cache. Then a Callendar challenge. Along the way I was able to get a few FTF's. My dog was with me on all but the most urban and the most hot of days.

These are personal goals. For me they make the game more fun. Now that I've hit those goals I'm setting new ones. It's a reason to go out and play. I will never have the longest streak or the most caches or FTF's but I now appreciate more than before the people who do have these numbers. Lots or work and dedication and I hope fun along the way.

If you eventually get into setting up your own cache someday, why not setup a "No FTF" cache...

Not a bad idea, but as it is open and available to everyone, I don't think that interjecting such a requirement would fly. Placing restrictions on who can/who cannot log a find is well... taboo, is it not?

In that geocaching.com does not recognize FTF as an official anything, maybe it would. Just for some reason, I don thin so...

I don't like it myself but I see a lot of published caches out there with additional cache requirements where you must have a streak of cache finds to get credit for a smiley. This example should be taboo as well, but it's allowed, and places restrictions on who can and who cannot log a find.

Edited by crsandtweetygirl
I don't like it myself but I see a lot of published caches out there with additional cache requirements where you must have a streak of cache finds to get credit for a smiley. This example should be taboo as well, but it's allowed, and places restrictions on who can and who cannot log a find.

Those sound like challenge caches (different from Groundspeak challenges). Typically, you have to accomplish some geocaching-related task(s) to qualify for the found it log - filling out a grid of D/T combos, or caching a certain number of days in a row, or that sort of thing.

There are a couple of ways that a "you haven't logged an FTF before" challenge cache would likely not be published by a reviewer. One is that it's based on a non-accomplishment, and the other is that it is based on FTF's / competitions in general. From the knowledge books:

A challenge cache based on one or more non-accomplishments, such as DNFs, will likely not be published.
A challenge cache should recognize the completion of an achievement, rather than the winner of a competition. For example, a challenge based on "First to Finds" is dependent on the actions of other cachers, is a competition, and cannot be verified, so would likely not be published.

I think you are referring to a class of cache called Unknown/mystery caches. These are often set up as challenges to the finders and frequently have what would be considered additional logging requirements. The category also includes the puzzle caches you may find out there and those are often are not at the posted coordinates. Solving the puzzle will reveal the correct location. This is not the same as a traditional cache which cannot, by the guidelines, have any requirement except to sign the log. The unknown/mystery/puzzle cache can be identifed by the question mark icon in its title and on the map.

It doesn't seem like you're missing anything at all, least of all the point. As has been pointed out several times, people have different ideas about what makes this game fun. There can only be one FTF at any one cache, all the rest are doing because of the challenge, the exercise and the fun of it. It seems to me that your caching name probably describes what you like best about this sport. Sounds just about perfect to me. Play it your way and above all, have fun! And welcome to the game!

BTW, you mentioned something about this FTF'er grabbing all the "goods". I just wanted to say that the term "goods" often refers to the cache itself, not necessarily the contents. It's common to see phrases like "I soon had the goods in hand" or "grabbed the goods" It is very possible they were simply saying they found the cache, not took everything inside.

If you eventually get into setting up your own cache someday, why not setup a "No FTF" cache, where as only those cachers without a FTF can claim the find. Or perhaps make sure the physical log is already pre-signed by someone/anyone who does not care about a FTF. This would discourage FTFers in your area.

He wouldn't because that would be against the guidelines.

I once found a cache that had a requirement to have logged 100 finds or the CO would delete your smiley. Would that too be against the rules? Just curious. If it is I'm not going to go back and complain, just wondering.

Sorry about the side thread topic. Reply if you want. I'll not post about it again. I only brought it up because a Mod posted about a similar side topic.

I once found a cache that had a requirement to have logged 100 finds or the CO would delete your smiley. Would that too be against the rules? Just curious. If it is I'm not going to go back and complain, just wondering.

Sorry about the side thread topic. Reply if you want. I'll not post about it again. I only brought it up because a Mod posted about a similar side topic.

What type of cache its? If its a traditional cache, its ALR and they arent allowed anymore.

I said I wouldn't post about it. Sorry to break my word.

Yes, it was a simple traditional. P&G as I recall. CO wanted 100 plus finders for some reason and threatened to delete any finds that didn't meet muster. I reviewed my logs as I thought I DNF'd it out of protest, but now see that I just passed it by and didn't bother to look.

I like the difficult ones in the middle of nowhere, too. Throw in a forest hike that's not too long, not too short, and I'm in heaven.

Some people are rabid about FTFs. They will get every single one they can, and in order for anyone else to get the FTF, it requires jumping in the car and leaving the minute the notification arrives - and the cache has to be very close by or it'll still be too late. I've done it a few times just to see if I could beat the FTFers. :) That felt like a competition, and it was fun to "win." But mostly I just wander about in the middle of nowhere.

I would like to be the first to find something. Not everything, just... something. I'm certainly not going to go balls out and find one though. If I get to it, awesome! If I don't, well, I can still find it, just not first :)

The high find count... I don't know :unsure: Sometimes I feel intimidated by these people with thousands of finds. I haven't been doing this a long time. I don't really try very hard to find a lot either. I want to find more. I don't think I'll ever get into thousands unless I'm doing this when I'm 50 :laughing:

I get wanting to find it first or find a lot, but that's not really me :)

To GeotaggedBloger

Yeah. Nice attitude, wildlifeupclose. Being sanctimonious is a great way to start!

Some people glory in FTF. I seldom try because there are a lot of people with the time on their fins who enjoy FTF. Not a recognized part of the game, but if that's what they enjoy, then they should go for it. I do ave several FTFs, but that's not important to me. I geocache because I enjoy it. I'd suggest the same for you.

Am I missing the point of geocaching?
Your question assumes that "the point of geocaching" is a meaningful concept.

As others have pointed out, people go geocaching for all sorts of reasons. Often, the same person may go geocaching for different reasons at different times.

What are we missing?
Are you having fun geocaching?

If you aren't having fun, then you are doing it wrong, even if it looks like you're doing it the same way someone else is doing it.

If you are having fun (and you aren't ruining the activity for others—for example, by being a cache maggot), then you're doing fine and you aren't missing anything.

Edited by niraD
Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is to be FTF and have the most finds.

Some people feel that way, and they have made what should be a non-competitive activity less enjoyable for the rest of us. It's too bad, but the good news is that the vast majority of the numbers/FTF hounds get bored pretty quickly and drop out.

One key to enjoying caching is to learn to ignore these people and enjoy caching at your own pace, on your own terms. It took me several years to reach that point, but now I just ignore the obnoxious FTF logs and the 100-mile power trails, and I am still having fun.

Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is to be FTF and have the most finds.

Some people feel that way, and they have made what should be a non-competitive activity less enjoyable for the rest of us. It's too bad, but the good news is that the vast majority of the numbers/FTF hounds get bored pretty quickly and drop out.

One key to enjoying caching is to learn to ignore these people and enjoy caching at your own pace, on your own terms. It took me several years to reach that point, but now I just ignore the obnoxious FTF logs and the 100-mile power trails, and I am still having fun.

I work in an office and get together with a few of my friends to meet on Saturdays and go on a scenic nature hike. We have a ton of fun the first week and word spreads and the next week more show up. After a few months we have dozens of people going on our nature hike. Some of the co-workers have decided to race the hiking trail. They want to see who can finish the trail the fastest. EVERYBODY is having a good time. What do us 'hikers' care if some of us want to jog or run or sprint the trail? It DOESN'T affect us.

Live and let live. If it ain't directly affecting you then it shouldn't be bothering you either. <-----Print that out and read it every morning.

"It's all a game and someone has to win."

It is not a game, it is an activity, no one has to win.

You do "win" though when you say to yourself "Wow! what a nice place, if not for geocaching I may never have known of or come here"

That's our take, to each their own ways and reasons though.

Edited by GT N JT CREW

am just responding to the CO's post, not all the other stuff, because folks get so worked up about FTFs.

Some folks love the hunt of the FTF, good for them. If I want one, I can try, but usually its not worth the stress and aggravation to me. I am in the minority of my friends' opinions regarding total #s. I would never go to E.T. Highway or Route 66 and do the same hide 1000 in a row, just to bring up numbers. Sure its an experience they say, but so is botulism and I do not want to experience that either.

Lots of ways to play, if you do not want to do a power trail, don't. If you don't want a FTF, do not go for it. Folks who do should not be mocked, its just doing it differently and neither are cheating as far as the rules of the website go.

Find the kind of caches you like and do that.

I work in an office and get together with a few of my friends to meet on Saturdays and go on a scenic nature hike. We have a ton of fun the first week and word spreads and the next week more show up. After a few months we have dozens of people going on our nature hike. Some of the co-workers have decided to race the hiking trail. They want to see who can finish the trail the fastest. EVERYBODY is having a good time. What do us 'hikers' care if some of us want to jog or run or sprint the trail? It DOESN'T affect us.

OK, let's go with your analogy. How would you feel if those who chose to run the trail instead of hiking waited at the end for the hikers and jeered and spat upon them? Or how about if one day there was a flock of rare birds on the trail, but none of the hikers got to see them because the runners scared them all away before the hikers could get there?

Those behaviors are quite analogous to what happens in geocaching. Obnoxious FTF logs are rude and disrespectful of other players. FTFs who grab all the virgin caches in their area deprive other cachers of the experience of being the first to find a newly placed cache.

There is nothing wrong with competition, in an appropriate context. IMO, geocaching is not an appropriate context for competitive behavior unless those competing can keep it between themselves.

I like the difficult ones in the middle of nowhere, too. Throw in a forest hike that's not too long, not too short, and I'm in heaven.

Some people are rabid about FTFs. They will get every single one they can, and in order for anyone else to get the FTF, it requires jumping in the car and leaving the minute the notification arrives - and the cache has to be very close by or it'll still be too late. I've done it a few times just to see if I could beat the FTFers. :) That felt like a competition, and it was fun to "win." But mostly I just wander about in the middle of nowhere.

Wanna name those FTF hogs? Yes, I know who you are talking about. :laughing:

I said I wouldn't post about it. Sorry to break my word.

Yes, it was a simple traditional. P&G as I recall. CO wanted 100 plus finders for some reason and threatened to delete any finds that didn't meet muster. I reviewed my logs as I thought I DNF'd it out of protest, but now see that I just passed it by and didn't bother to look.

They arent grandfathered and they must change the cache page to follow the guideline. If that cache is in my area, I would post a NA log right away.

OK, let's go with your analogy. How would you feel if those who chose to run the trail instead of hiking waited at the end for the hikers and jeered and spat upon them? Or how about if one day there was a flock of rare birds on the trail, but none of the hikers got to see them because the runners scared them all away before the hikers could get there?

Those behaviors are quite analogous to what happens in geocaching. Obnoxious FTF logs are rude and disrespectful of other players. FTFs who grab all the virgin caches in their area deprive other cachers of the experience of being the first to find a newly placed cache.

There is nothing wrong with competition, in an appropriate context. IMO, geocaching is not an appropriate context for competitive behavior unless those competing can keep it between themselves.

Rude and obnoxious behavior of course is disrespectful (though a small woo hoo, or being happy in your FTF log is certainly to be expected), but I disagree with one thing. If someone really wants a FTF, they need to earn it. Not every FTF is gone in 10 seconds. If they really want one, they can solve a tough puzzle, or do a multi (those seem to last longer), or focus on ones closer to home...or improve their methods to get one (like cell phone notifications). If 200 new caches are listed in your town in say 2 months and say 160 of them are grabbed by two people, well, so be it.

Now, if the FTFers did something like pre-sign the logs and then gloated about it and claimed a FTF, that is different, but if its a fair FTF, they deserve it. The folks who really want one will just learn to appreciate the ones they get more by earning them.

Rude and obnoxious behavior of course is disrespectful (though a small woo hoo, or being happy in your FTF log is certainly to be expected), but I disagree with one thing. If someone really wants a FTF, they need to earn it. Not every FTF is gone in 10 seconds. If they really want one, they can solve a tough puzzle, or do a multi (those seem to last longer), or focus on ones closer to home...or improve their methods to get one (like cell phone notifications). If 200 new caches are listed in your town in say 2 months and say 160 of them are grabbed by two people, well, so be it.

Now, if the FTFers did something like pre-sign the logs and then gloated about it and claimed a FTF, that is different, but if its a fair FTF, they deserve it. The folks who really want one will just learn to appreciate the ones they get more by earning them.

If we could all just agree to share FTFs and wait patiently for our turn to find one I'd get to sleep in more often :D

Maybe I'm naive but to me it doesn't matter. If someone has the time and inclination to rush out and get a FTF, they still are working with the same information and possibly methods which are available to those who come after. I don't see why people who are able to get there first..repeatedly of course, are apparently shunned (maybe that is too strong a word but I'm struggling to come up with an alternative at the moment) by some members of the community. We are never likely to get a FTF (unless on pure luck) because the times available to us are limited due to other committments and life in general but for those that can..I say good on them.

We cache for fun and time together as a family, we don't let other people's motivations detract from our enjoyment. As with just about everything in life (and as I said in another thread) different strokes for different folks.

I have two new caches that are still waiting for the FTF. One is 4 terrain traditional and the other a 3 terrain Earthcache. Funny how caches like that do get a rush.

Maybe I'm naive but to me it doesn't matter. If someone has the time and inclination to rush out and get a FTF, they still are working with the same information and possibly methods which are available to those who come after. I don't see why people who are able to get there first..repeatedly of course, are apparently shunned (maybe that is too strong a word but I'm struggling to come up with an alternative at the moment) by some members of the community. We are never likely to get a FTF (unless on pure luck) because the times available to us are limited due to other committments and life in general but for those that can..I say good on them.

We cache for fun and time together as a family, we don't let other people's motivations detract from our enjoyment. As with just about everything in life (and as I said in another thread) different strokes for different folks.

I would like to get the FTF on every cache just to see exactly how the CO placed the cache but beyond that, I couldn't care less. I still wouldn't rush out and try to beat everyone there just to see it that way.

Some folks just really, really like to be first to find. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're not in it for the "fun and adventure and exercise" just like you -- they may well be in it for those things, plus they like being first. It can be fun, we were into it for a while. Not as much in the past year or so, though.

If you're not worried about being the first to find, I wouldn't invest much time or energy worrying about the folks who are.

Realize that other people have different views and for them having fun means different things. For me I do many different things in Geocaching and have fun with all of them. FTFs are fun and exhilarating and a different type of fun than a standard daily cache. They are much more like a race. My favorite FTFs are extreme FTFs whether it's a night cache 40 miles away or a challenge cache that requires driving all across North Carolina.

To some people that would not be fun and that's fine, but to me it is and there should not be anything wrong about that. I also enjoy taking time and doing quality caches. I enjoy caching in the middle of nowhere. I've enjoyed nearly every day I've cached and it's the variety that has kept it entertaining for me.

Some folks just really, really like to be first to find. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're not in it for the "fun and adventure and exercise" just like you -- they may well be in it for those things, plus they like being first. It can be fun, we were into it for a while. Not as much in the past year or so, though.

If you're not worried about being the first to find, I wouldn't invest much time or energy worrying about the folks who are.

+1

I'm not going to get involved in the FTF chase, but they can have all the fun they want.

On a side note. I think it's fun watching the one big FTF cacher we have out here. Here it's not as competitive. In fact it's very friendly. Other place I've been and seen, it's anything but friendly.

Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is

Yes, you are definitely missing the point of geocaching, which is to enjoy the outdoors without obsessing about others. ;)

Where in my post did I say I was obsessing over them? My post was simple at that. I was not judging them or saying they were wrong. I am not worrying about what others.

My point, and question, was to ask if our assumption that this is a leisure activity or do we need to start working harder to get more finds or FTFs. Some who have read this and replied think I am slamming those who have made it a competition for themselves. I am not.

Sad how it goes from a simple question to me worrying about others and obsessing about how they play this.

Am I missing the point of geocaching? Over the last few weeks I began to notice (but I am sure it has been this way) some geocachers only motive is

Yes, you are definitely missing the point of geocaching, which is to enjoy the outdoors without obsessing about others. ;)

Where in my post did I say I was obsessing over them? My post was simple at that. I was not judging them or saying they were wrong. I am not worrying about what others.

My point, and question, was to ask if our assumption that this is a leisure activity or do we need to start working harder to get more finds or FTFs. Some who have read this and replied think I am slamming those who have made it a competition for themselves. I am not.

Sad how it goes from a simple question to me worrying about others and obsessing about how they play this.

Don't know about others but my only point has been that there's no need to ask. Do it how you want. If you see another way that looks appealing then by all means adjust the way you do it. Simple.

Okay, maybe that's where my analogy breaks down because I don't see how FTF'ers (runners in my analogy) spoil anything (scare birds away in your response) for the rest of us. If FTF'ers did somehow spoil it I guess I'd change my mind. Do you have examples of other caching techniques or methods screwing it up for the leisurely cacher in mind? I'm just going under the assumption that it's multiple ways to accomplish the same thing and nobody is 'right' or 'wrong'.

Live and let live. If it ain't directly affecting you then it shouldn't be bothering you either. <-----Print that out and read it every morning.

You seem to really be getting worked up about the live and let live thing. :P Some people might not agree with you that phrase is like the secret meaning to all in life or something.

we're just discussing Geocaching here. Folkways, Mores, ettiquette, etc... exist in the game, and are often debated.