First Time Finds

lonepinemax

Some geocachers find FTFs so important that they list every one of theirs on their profile page, just to make sure everyone knows about them!

So it's "so important" that I list it on my profile page, hmmm? Well, then I suppose any statistics people go to such extremes as to copy and paste into their profile page must be unbelievably important! I don't understand it myself.

*Sarcasm off*

To the OP. Some people enjoy the fun of going from putzing around on the computer or whatever they do at home and getting a beep from there phone and running out the door on a race for some treasure. I'm always surprised how some people seem shocked by that concept. I enjoy it because you can't plan it and it takes me to completely different areas then when I cache on my days off. I also enjoy it because you often meet other cachers at the cache also going for an FTF. I've made many friends at the GZ of many new caches.

There are people who take the FTF game way too seriously. I am not one of them. I believe if someone is searching at GZ and the cache is found that's a co-ftf, this is a belief that is thankfully shared by a good majority of my local community. But there are people who take caching overall too seriously, so that is neither here nor there.

As to the OP's question about how people record them, I use a program called Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) and a macro called FindStatGen which displays my FTF's along with a variety of other statistics.

910ccb2a-bae1-4b2f-bef0-40d8d5825090.jpg

Edited by Hypnopaedia

Some geocachers find FTFs so important that they list every one of theirs on their profile page, just to make sure everyone knows about them!

Who would do such a thing?

For the record, I only go out to chase FTFs when it is convenient for me. If I get a notification at 4AM I roll over and go back to sleep...assuming I even heard my phone vibrate on the nightstand in the first place. That's why I only have 30 of 'em instead of 50 or 60.

Also, I keep track of mine as I need the info to qualify for part of a challenge cache nearby.

Some people enjoy the fun of going from putzing around on the computer or whatever they do at home and getting a beep...and running out the door...

Yeah, I get enough of that from being a firefighter... :rolleyes:

True. There was a period of time after I quit being a volunteer firefighter where I started to chase FTFs because it gave me the same rush as going to a fire or MVC.

I am a chronic hound. Last night I went for two new ones after a 17hour day. I got soaked at the first one and then drove 45miles for the second. I think it is that competitive part of me that likes to run after FTFs, but I actually like just missing it as well. I like knowing that somebody got the jump on me, especially if I had no excuses. It is all good fun and I have met plenty of nice local cachers as a result of it. It isn't something I am ashamed of because I pursue all of my caches the same way, I go at them like a monkey on a cupcake. My excitement for geocaching is really what keeps me excited for each and every smiley I get.

For the sake of keeping track of them I use GSAK as well, but I have always thought about keeping a bookmark.

As previously mentioned, there is a column in GSAK where you can check-off that you were FTF.

Or you could be one of THOSE people, and put them in a public/shared bookmark list, so everyone who looks at the cache will know that lonepinemax got the FTF.

Sometimes the CO will edit the cache page to congratulate whomever was FTF, but it's hard to keep track of them that way.

Or you could be one of THOSE people, and put them in a public/shared bookmark list, so everyone who looks at the cache will know that lonepinemax got the FTF.

It doesn't have to be a public bookamrk, it can just be for your records. Besides the fact that I don't do a lot of bookmark shopping, personally. I am just not one of THOSE people! :lol:

Edited by Flintstone5611

I track mine with a Bookmark list. Which is public.

I go after them sometimes, but not with the zeal of some. I've gotten some FTFs because I was driving around town for whatever reason when I got a publication notification. If a cache is published after dark or around the time I wake up, I will often leave for work early to try to get it. Or if it is published in the afternoon I will go for it after work. But much like maintaining a streak, after dabbling in it a bit I decieded that going for most FTFs was more effort/time/gas than it was worth.

I have snagged some FTFs days after publication because the cache was in an out of the way area, but even then I got them as part of a larger caching trip.

I find it an amusing side game.

Believe it or not, I will not comment on FTF, other than to say I don't give a rats arse about it. :lol: But to stay on topic, a free, (although you can make a donation), and much less complex program than GSAK, Cache Stats will track FTF's (you have to check a box saying your were FTF in front of the cache name), and put out nice HTML output for profiles. It's a nice stats program that is practically unheard of since Geocaching.com got their own stats last year.

But to stay on topic, a free, (although you can make a donation), and much less complex program than GSAK, Cache Stats will track FTF's (you have to check a box saying your were FTF in front of the cache name), and put out nice HTML output for profiles. It's a nice stats program that is practically unheard of since Geocaching.com got their own stats last year.

I used to use Cache stats, I really like that program! I fell prey to the glitz and colours of GSAK (it has some other stuff too, I guess)! :ph34r:

We got our first FTF last week! It was an adrenaline rush, so I could see the enjoyment. On our way there, I was picturing a duel to the death with another geocacher, but nope. Simply signed log and passed by a the STF's incoming flashlights. I could see a potential duel to the death in some instances though. Anyway, now that I've done it once, I think I'm good. :)

Sometimes being FTF comes with a prize. I got a FTF on one near my house and in the cache I found a sheet of paper for the FTF, it had additional directions to another location where I found the FTF prize. When I got to the additional GZ I found a handcrafted walking stick complete with a GS trackable walking stick medallion that had not been activated. Of course generally all you get is a blank log to sign.

Check out the walking stick TB4ANBE

We were out caching one day when I received two texts notifying us of two new caches that weren't too far from us. We chose to go after them and chose which one we would have the better chance at finding first. My girls were so excited that we were FTF. We did get to meet another cacher that pulled up as we were leaving to go find the next one. We hadn't met any other cachers yet so this was exciting for us. Well as it turns out they were the FTF on the other new one. We went after it anyway as it wasn't very far away. We got to meet two other cachers while looking for that one. That was very fun for us. There is one thing that I found interesting/odd/negative....however you want to look at it. One of the other cachers who ended up finding it yelled "Got It!!!". She then looked at us and the other cachers before grabbing the cache with a long stare and silence. Neither of us said anything. She then said, "Don't you play by the rules? You know....the rules when somebody yells Got It or Found It and you have to turn around and not watch?" Huh??? I haven't been caching long but that seemed like an odd rule. The other cacher and I just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders. I told her I was new and hadn't heard of this rule and it didn't really matter to me. She seemed irritated at us for not playing by her rules. I also told her if it was because she wanted to be FTF then she was too late. She said, "WHAT?? You mean someone else already found it?". She seemed so disgusted that she was not FTF and was actually very rude to us. :blink: That was not a positive experience and I really hope it was an isolated encounter with an FTF Hound. I haven't gone after another FTF since then. For some that is the most important part of geocaching and for me it is a fun side game because I am an extremely competitive person but the hounds can have them if it is that important. I would love to meet other cachers and if I can do that by going after newly published caches then I am all for it as long as I don't get trampled by the FTF Hounds. :)

One of the other cachers who ended up finding it yelled "Got It!!!". She then looked at us and the other cachers before grabbing the cache with a long stare and silence. Neither of us said anything. She then said, "Don't you play by the rules? You know....the rules when somebody yells Got It or Found It and you have to turn around and not watch?" Huh???

That is easily the weirdest thing I have heard for group finds. I think I would be at a loss for words as well.

I also told her if it was because she wanted to be FTF then she was too late. She said, "WHAT?? You mean someone else already found it?". She seemed so disgusted that she was not FTF and was actually very rude to us.

That was not a hound, we are cuddly and loyal. That was a vulture, huge difference! :lol:

I also told her if it was because she wanted to be FTF then she was too late. She said, "WHAT?? You mean someone else already found it?". She seemed so disgusted that she was not FTF and was actually very rude to us.

That was not a hound, we are cuddly and loyal. That was a vulture, huge difference! :lol:

Thank goodness. I can deal with the hounds then but will try to stay far away from the vultures!! LOL! :D

Thank goodness. I can deal with the hounds then but will try to stay far away from the vultures!! LOL! :D

I've met more cachers while going out for FTFs than anywhere else outside of events. In every single instance it has been nothing but fun and enjoyable.

We were out caching one day when I received two texts notifying us of two new caches that weren't too far from us. We chose to go after them and chose which one we would have the better chance at finding first. My girls were so excited that we were FTF. We did get to meet another cacher that pulled up as we were leaving to go find the next one. We hadn't met any other cachers yet so this was exciting for us. Well as it turns out they were the FTF on the other new one. We went after it anyway as it wasn't very far away. We got to meet two other cachers while looking for that one. That was very fun for us. There is one thing that I found interesting/odd/negative....however you want to look at it. One of the other cachers who ended up finding it yelled "Got It!!!". She then looked at us and the other cachers before grabbing the cache with a long stare and silence. Neither of us said anything. She then said, "Don't you play by the rules? You know....the rules when somebody yells Got It or Found It and you have to turn around and not watch?" Huh??? I haven't been caching long but that seemed like an odd rule. The other cacher and I just looked at each other and shrugged our shoulders. I told her I was new and hadn't heard of this rule and it didn't really matter to me. She seemed irritated at us for not playing by her rules. I also told her if it was because she wanted to be FTF then she was too late. She said, "WHAT?? You mean someone else already found it?". She seemed so disgusted that she was not FTF and was actually very rude to us. :blink: That was not a positive experience and I really hope it was an isolated encounter with an FTF Hound. I haven't gone after another FTF since then. For some that is the most important part of geocaching and for me it is a fun side game because I am an extremely competitive person but the hounds can have them if it is that important. I would love to meet other cachers and if I can do that by going after newly published caches then I am all for it as long as I don't get trampled by the FTF Hounds. :)

That is insane! When I hear "Got it!" I come running. The way almost everyone sees it in my area (Puget Sound) is that if you are at GZ searching, then you all can claim co-ftf on the find regardless of who found it. Without that rule I can see screaming arguments about who gets to search a stump, fistfights, and pure anarchy!

Honestly, I'm often happy when I see headlights pull up or flashlights come down the trail when searching for a particularly tough FTF. If I were you I would attend a local event and in the process of normal conversation with more experienced cachers find out what they think about that. I bet you'll find you ran in to a couple of exceptions in your community. Don't let it hold you back from trying again.

I like going for FTF's. One I went to a couple of months or so ago had an Unactivated coin for a FTF prize. Very nice coin too. I have a coin (My first coin as a matter of fact) that I have "visit" each FTF cache. What I didn't know until recently is that you can view all the places your coin "visits" on the map. It also shows the order you found them in.

I love the rush of trying to grab a FTF, but I have my limits. If I have something better to do or the cache is too far (subjective and variable depending on my mood) I won't even leave the house. There is one guy in the area who is a FTF hound and it is fun to race out, knowing he is going to head the same direction. Unlike some of the posts where people had negative experiences, I have had none. I was both amused and upset when I read about that idiot with her "rule" about turning around so you don't see the find ohmy.gif

Regarding recording of my FTFs, I use http://www.mygeocachingprofile.com/ Has some pretty fun stats and, yes, they are on my profile page. It's not bragging to me, it's simply a way to share some of my geocaching history for anyone bored enough to look at it.

One of the other cachers who ended up finding it yelled "Got It!!!". She then looked at us and the other cachers before grabbing the cache with a long stare and silence. Neither of us said anything. She then said, "Don't you play by the rules? You know....the rules when somebody yells Got It or Found It and you have to turn around and not watch?" Huh???

That is easily the weirdest thing I have heard for group finds. I think I would be at a loss for words as well.

Hounds like to be scratched behind the ear, as well.

As far as that cacher, unless she yelled "GOTTA PEE", I can't see turning my back to her.

sounds like the "Got it" and don't look crowd could be similar to the kind of cachers who will not log a find unless they found it first....even if they traveled to the cache with people in their car. As Hypno said, most folks I know are quite nice about sharing FTF and at least externally, nice about you being there helping with the search or sharing CoFTFs. Course, we are in the same area.

I have a bookmark list so I can keep track, but I keep it private. There is a challenge that I have signed but not logged yet which asks you to have 100 FTFs, so I will probably mark it public for at least a few days. However, I do not see anything wrong with making them public. A lot of folks I know who have shared bookmark lists are not the bragging kind, its just there as a matter of record.

I can certainly name (but wont) one person in our state who considers it a sport and it needs to be competitive, but most don't.

There is one thing that I found interesting/odd/negative....however you want to look at it. One of the other cachers who ended up finding it yelled "Got It!!!". She then looked at us and the other cachers before grabbing the cache with a long stare and silence. Neither of us said anything. She then said, "Don't you play by the rules? You know....the rules when somebody yells Got It or Found It and you have to turn around and not watch?" Huh??? I haven't been caching long but that seemed like an odd rule.

I couldn't help it. I had to laugh out loud when I read your story. Like someone else mentioned, when we hear "Found it!" we all run in that direction.

Going after a FTF with children is a challenge, and we've found it to be a really fun activity. My kids have learned to get ready in record time if they want to have a chance at FTF. Socks, shoes, jacket, snacks, whatever you need better be on your or in your hand as you run to the car within 2 minutes! Fun times! :D

So yesterday evening I received the "New Geocache Published" text. I realized it was less than a mile from my house so my 10 year old daughter and I ran out to attempt another FTF. This time things went much better. Not only were we FTF but there was NOBODY else around. My daughter got a nice FTF prize which was a neat pathtag. She thought that was the coolest thing ever. While we were on our way another text came through with another new cache. After finding the first one my daughter wanted to go home so when I took her home my 8 year old daughter wanted to go find the second one because the FTF prize was $1. I didn't think we would be the first since it looked like a pretty easy one. Well, after a long walk in the complete dark (we went the wrong way first) in a small park we found the cache and was surprised to find a blank log and a nice crisp $1. I was excited about the blank log and my 8 yr old was excited about the $1 which I of course gave to her. It was actually a lot of fun to get 2 FTFs in one night!! So, the "vulture" didn't scare me from going after them!!

Going after a FTF with children is a challenge, and we've found it to be a really fun activity. My kids have learned to get ready in record time if they want to have a chance at FTF. Socks, shoes, jacket, snacks, whatever you need better be on your or in your hand as you run to the car within 2 minutes! Fun times! :D

I agree with you. It is a challenge but a very fun and rewarding one with kids. Thankfully my oldest two are 10 and 8 so they can have shoes on and be in the car in about 30 seconds if I say "There's a new one....let's go get FTF". My 2 year old is another story. :)

I have to say the best part of going after the two FTFs the other night is the fact that I got to do each one with only 1 of my daughters. My 10 year old did the first one and my 8 year old did the second one. That one on one time is so precious and doesn't happen often enough. I wouldn't have even cared if we were FTF because I was just enjoying our uninterrupted conversation and them actually HOLDING MY HAND!!! :rolleyes: I wouldn't trade those moments for anything!! Actually being FTF was a bonus!

Thanks everyone for your information. I have several FTF but have never been able to keep track of them, this will help if I ever feel a need to do so.

You can create a bookmark list on the geocaching.com site. It's a simple way to track your FTF and, if you use the naming convention 001 Cache Name, 002 Cache Name, etc, when you make the list it will keep them in the order in which you found the caches.

NOTE: If you choose to make a bookmark list as suggested above, you might want to consider making it a private list so it doesn't show up on the cache pages themselves. Not everybody will be pleased to have your FTF list showing on the cache pages. YOU will still see it on the relevant cache pages but others won't.