Dangerous Caches?

The other day I was doing some caching and came close to falling down a hill. I was curious if anyone has come across any really dangerous Geocaches? If so where was it and why was it dangerous. You get bonus points by putting a link to the cache.

We have done a few here on O'ahu along the KST (Ko'olau Summit Trail) that have sheer 1000 feet drop offs.

GC1E5ZN - I Rabid Dog Dare you on the KST

Here's a pic:

e5732054-fda5-4780-a51d-50d7c8458c7f.jpg

Also the third peak of Olomana can be a bit sketchy, sadly someone (not a cacher) just perished doing it this past weekend :( .

GC1H333 - I Triple Peak Dare You (Ahiki Summit)

I was curious if anyone has come across any really dangerous Geocaches? If so where was it and why was it dangerous. You get bonus points by putting a link to the cache.

Is the Multi in the abandoned nuclear plant in rural Maryland still active?

(Yes, really.)

Edited by Joshism
I was curious if anyone has come across any really dangerous Geocaches? If so where was it and why was it dangerous. You get bonus points by putting a link to the cache.

Is the Multi in the abandoned nuclear plant in rural Maryland still active?

(Yes, really.)

its actually a mystery and is in post#5, first link :anibad:

I have to say... I cannot WAIT until I'm in good enough physical shape to try some more extreme caches. Seriously.

You know... one way to get into good physical shape is to go out and grab some extreme caches!

I disagree. Going after the extremes should only be done if you are already in good physical shape. It might help keep you in top shape but you need to be in pretty good shape already.

I have to say... I cannot WAIT until I'm in good enough physical shape to try some more extreme caches. Seriously.

Hey Rose,

You have already done an extreme cache ... 117* and running Patsu's truck with the heater ON is somewhat extreme. Say hi to the Mr.

Geo huggggzzzzzzzz, Dave

Edited by humboldt flier

You know... one way to get into good physical shape is to go out and grab some extreme caches!

I disagree. Going after the extremes should only be done if you are already in good physical shape. It might help keep you in top shape but you need to be in pretty good shape already.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But caches in extreme locations and requiring ropes, harnesses, ice axes, jet packs, crampons, time traveling DeLoreans, and other such fun tools are how I got back into shape. The important part, in my opinion, is the knowledge of how to do these things. The ability and endurance part comes back as you do them.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But caches in extreme locations and requiring ropes, harnesses, ice axes, jet packs, crampons, time traveling DeLoreans, and other such fun tools are how I got back into shape. The important part, in my opinion, is the knowledge of how to do these things. The ability and endurance part comes back as you do them.

I'd like to read those logs. Can you direct me to them?

I don't care about the logs. But can I borrow the DeLorean?

With these gas prices? The thing was all steel!

Finding a video on YouTube about PUC 13 got a few of us all started on finding extreme caches.

The new video featured on the website about extreme multi-caching featuring "An Extreme Tour of Centralia" gives a good idea of what the multitude of 5/5 multi-caches are like in Eastern PA / Maryland. The only downside is there are so many of them and not enough weekends in the summer to complete them all!

I'm hoping to go after "Centralia" soon. My boyfriend was in the 2TF group, and I'm not sure he wants to go on the 10+ mile hike again only to post a note :laughing:

With these gas prices? The thing was all steel!

Sure. But with Mr. Fusion who cares?

mr-fusion.jpg

Depending on which climbing method you're using, some require significantly less upper body strength than others.

The other day I was doing some caching and came close to falling down a hill. I was curious if anyone has come across any really dangerous Geocaches? If so where was it and why was it dangerous. You get bonus points by putting a link to the cache.

We have done a few here on O'ahu along the KST (Ko'olau Summit Trail) that have sheer 1000 feet drop offs.

GC1E5ZN - I Rabid Dog Dare you on the KST

Here's a pic:

Also the third peak of Olomana can be a bit sketchy, sadly someone (not a cacher) just perished doing it this past weekend :( .

GC1H333 - I Triple Peak Dare You (Ahiki Summit)

Another one on Oahu GeoGerms (Aloha BTW!) knows about: Triple Dog Dare You - Kuliouou

ea68bb47-fb18-4cb3-aac8-87a1889b77ec.jpg

Edited by BBWolf+3Pigs

Yes, but unfortunately I wrote them while I was still back in the future. So they won't be visible until... then.

I'm not cacher enough (or maybe too much cacher [overweight]) to try the extreme caches, and the most I've actually injured myself is a few cuts and scrapes. There was one time that I recall where I could have twisted my ankle, broke my leg, or impaled myself with branches. I had to bushwhack through thorns to get an ammo can. I tried to be smooth and walk on fallen trees to get out. It had just finished raining and my boots didn't hold the traction. Luckily, I was able to catch myself before anything serious happened. I was alone, low cell signal, and no one knew where I was.

I didn't learn my lesson. I still head out to nature preserves, woods, etc... without telling people what I'm doing.

What makes this cache dangerous is that it is purported to be safe. As a result, I almost lost my boy down the cliff to the waterfall and he still can't swim yet. He was so excited about getting a cache, he blew on ahead and couldn't hear me yelling at him to stop!

Others have found it though, so maybe it's me, but the coords' in the canyon were all over the place. I was pretty angry and still pumped on adrenaline about it when I logged my DNF!

GC13YF8

Up and In GCNEA0

this cache was hardly dangerous and especially compared to some of the others I've seen here. It involved climbing a tree about 30-50

feet. but the part that seemed to take the fun out of it was that some folks could see the cache up there and could have read the

discription before ever going there but became indignent and claimed a find but did not want to climb the tree. Heck if ya don't want

to climb the tree, well fine but don't expect smilie without signing the log. I enjoyed the challenge and the climb and felt good

about the acomplishment.

grampapa

I was not going to reply to this post, but I was reading my Brother-In-Laws blog and thought how this was a good example of how people look at things as being dangerous or not. What one may think is dangerous another will think is a challenge that needs to be met. At the top of every cache listing is a disclaimer announcing that you assume all risk and responsibility as a cache seeker, also each cache has a difficulty and terrain rating so ultimately it is up to you to decide before you ever start to look for a cache whether it is within your abilities and your comfort zone as being safe or not. There is also the attributes for each cache listing that will tell you if it is a good cache for children or not, so again it is up to you to do the research and make the decision that any one cache is right for you and your party to go out and seek.

Now you are probably wondering how my Brother-In-Law figures into this, so follow the link below and read about his "Adventure". I will say that for months I have been angry with him for doing this as I felt he was putting himself into a dangerous situation with out considering his family.

http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/readerblogs/brian_dickinson/brian_dickinson_-_reader_blog_16/index.html

I was not going to reply to this post, but I was reading my Brother-In-Laws blog and thought how this was a good example of how people look at things as being dangerous or not. What one may think is dangerous another will think is a challenge that needs to be met. At the top of every cache listing is a disclaimer announcing that you assume all risk and responsibility as a cache seeker, also each cache has a difficulty and terrain rating so ultimately it is up to you to decide before you ever start to look for a cache whether it is within your abilities and your comfort zone as being safe or not. There is also the attributes for each cache listing that will tell you if it is a good cache for children or not, so again it is up to you to do the research and make the decision that any one cache is right for you and your party to go out and seek.

Now you are probably wondering how my Brother-In-Law figures into this, so follow the link below and read about his "Adventure". I will say that for months I have been angry with him for doing this as I felt he was putting himself into a dangerous situation with out considering his family.

http://www.climbing.com/exclusive/readerblogs/brian_dickinson/brian_dickinson_-_reader_blog_16/index.html

WOW. That's intense!!!!

But hey, you trap dragons, so what the heck?

Depending on which climbing method you're using, some require significantly less upper body strength than others.

I know for some heavier individuals finding equipment that will fit them is a real problem. They may have the lower and upper body strength to do it but can't find a harness to fit. Or worry about if the rope will actually hold their weight. Etc.

Up and In GCNEA0

this cache was hardly dangerous and especially compared to some of the others I've seen here. It involved climbing a tree about 30-50

feet. but the part that seemed to take the fun out of it was that some folks could see the cache up there and could have read the

discription before ever going there but became indignent and claimed a find but did not want to climb the tree. Heck if ya don't want

to climb the tree, well fine but don't expect smilie without signing the log. I enjoyed the challenge and the climb and felt good

about the acomplishment.

grampapa

I haven't had the chance to go for this cache yet (hopefully this summer...), but I agree with what you're saying. Your log about actually climbing up and getting the cache was part of what inspired me to post a challenging note on the page after a couple of cachers claimed a find after just seeing the cache up the tree.

A local reviewer deleted my log (and a few others), which is fine -- the point got across, that if you go for a very difficult terrain cache, you better expect a difficult time getting it, and don't claim a find unless you actually get hold of the cache.