what kind of hides do you like?

I like caches that are realistic about the purpose they server and let you know what to expect. LP hides are ok if you're traveling through an area and want to log a cache in that county but don't place a cache in the median of a busy road and go on about using stealth in the description. Also, don't hide a bison tube in a hole in a piece of lighter pine and cover it with leaves and call it a 2 difficulty. One shouldn't have to turn over every piece of rotting wood in the forest for a d2.

I really like creative caches but anything that accurately represents what it is can be nice. If I want a smiley during lunch I'll go after a LP and if I want a nice afternoon of 4wheeling, I'll go for a T4.

My optimal cache would be custom cammo in a nice place, with no one around.

Oh yeah... good coords too. It can be the greatest cache ever and bad coords ruin it.

Here's a few thoughts on the subject, in no particular order. I'm not criticizing those that put out caches I've panned here, only saying that I probably won't look for them if they're in my area.

I like medium size or larger. I like to have some loot to sort through, and like to trade TBs and coins. To me, micros and nanos are more irritation than anything else, for the most part. There have been several times where I've dropped the tiny little top of a bison tube or those little magnetic nanos, and had to search through the grass or snow to find the damned thing. I finally got to the point that if I see something in the listing saying it's a nano, I'll usually just skip it and look for a different cache somewhere else.

I like creative hides. This might be a fun container, or an unusual puzzle to solve to get the next step, or a mechanism of some sort to get the cache to reveal itself. Or it might be a themed cache where the owner has put some thought and originality into the choice of location, or into the comments in the listing.

I like hides in unusual locations - in the woods, in little pocket parks that I never knew existed, in lonely places that I wouldn't otherwise go to. I put out one cache (Stormy Weather, GCWTPE) to bring people to a place where not all that many get to, even though it's only a short hike from a paved road.

I like hides that I can find on my bike. I rode the DALMAC - a bike ride from Lansing to Mackinac City, MI - last year, about 340 miles over 5 days. I looked for a few hides along the way. I also found some last summer while training for the ride - it helps break up the monotony, sometimes.

I like caches in roadside rest areas. When I'm travelling somewhere, if I have time to do a bit of caching along the way, I'll map out caches near my route and stop and look for them. I found The Spot (GC39) and Beverly (GC28) this way. These are the 2 oldest caches in the US east of the Mississippi River, I think. Both were interesting finds, and I rode my mountain bike into the park to find Beverly. I did an end-over in a rut too, and landed in front of my front tire - its all part of the adventure and fun.

I like historical caches, both those that are from the early days of caching, and those that take me to historical places. I'm slowly working my way through the 25 oldest active here in Michigan. And I like going to places where the cache brings me to a place where history took place.

I don't care for LPC hides. They generally don't have that much creativity. I'm not out to try to boost my find count dramatically. After not quite 7 years, I've found a little over 830 caches. I do this for have fun, not to inflate some arbitrary number.

I don't care for micros and nanos, as I said earlier. The ones with logs that are 1 inch wide and 15 inches long are a pain to work with, especially on a cold day. I've done them, and did two this weekend, but usually I skip them.

As a newb, any cache with a paper log enclosed where I can apply my geo-name is a great cache for me . . . I love all the traditional cache hides of any terrain/difficulty rating but have no use for mystery/puzzle ones (kinda a different game where solutions are the focus and not caching).

BTW, I am holding on to my Confederate money in case somone comes along and wants to change the rules, again.

What kind of hides do you like? :grin:

Hides in the country, along bike trails, or in parks with large wooded areas, and something large enough to hold trade items. The only exception is I like cemetery hides even if it is only a match holder or 35MM film holder.

Edited by DonB

I like hides that take you to a new, secret place you wouldn`t have known about if it were not for geocaching :lol:

This sums it up for me as well. I've learned about so many places in the last month that I've been caching that are right around me, that I never knew if it weren't for trying to find a cache.

My favorites are small to large ones in nice parks or rural or private areas where I don't look like a loony toon peaking in the bushes in front of people!

I also love interesting containers, funny ones, ones with great swag or FTF prizes, interesting historical or local flare to them.

I like challenging unique caches, and I like easy ones great for beginners and kids.

I'm not so into micros, but if they take me to someplace really cool, and a small or larger couldn't be placed there, then I enjoy it.

I enjoy caches that make use of a compass or measuring distances or looking for other clues.

I like caches that surprise me in a GOOD way!

I just had to add that I love caches along a bike trail, too. Good excercise combined with finding more caches = Good!

Edited by FloridaFour

Ammo cans in the woods, along the river, etc. I like caches in the country much more than caches in town.

I like hides that aren't in someone's yard, in a bush in front of someone's yard, etc. I like caches with room for travel bugs or coins and maybe even (gasp!) swag.

I'm fairly new to geocaching, but so far the ones I have loved have been: 1) my first one, 2) ones that that teach me something I didn't know about, 3) ones in muggle-filled areas, so it's a bit like being ion on a secret, and 4) ones that take me to a spot I would NEVER have gone to were I not looking for a cache. Also - clever containers also thrill me.

Caches that have a clever theme and container and are somewhat challenging but not "needle-in-a-haystack" impossible like a micro in 40 acres of chaparral. I much prefer looking for caches while hiking in the boondocks versus urban caches but I love every cache I can find. But the caches that I can't find.... they stink! (just kidding)

I love caches in anything from parks to the middle of nowhere, and anything bigger than a small so that its still a bit challenging but theres still lots of room for trading items etc. I'm not a fan of urban caches.

As long as its not a micro stuck in a thorny bush I'm happy :lol:

Edited by deacdiddy