saturation question

I think you also need to specify a distance from city center. Going to be hard to figure out for the offcial city boundry line.

Exactly. We've got somewhere between 4500-5500 in our metropolitan area, depending on how far you wish to extend the line. How you'd figure it out in the NE corridor I'd have no idea.

I think you also need to specify a distance from city center. Going to be hard to figure out for the offcial city boundry line.

Exactly. We've got somewhere between 4500-5500 in our metropolitan area, depending on how far you wish to extend the line. How you'd figure it out in the NE corridor I'd have no idea.

I see your point perhaps I should change it to 20 miles from your home coords.

PS I see from your profile you are in Co. I was born in Denver and spent childhood in Boulder. Small world....

I see your point perhaps I should change it to 20 miles from your home coords.

PS I see from your profile you are in Co. I was born in Denver and spent childhood in Boulder. Small world....

To quote a famous comedian: "It's a small world...but I wouldn't want to paint it."

There was a thread a few months ago where members were asked how many caches were within 10 miles of your home. To calculate this, you go to the "Hide & Seek a Cache" page and use the latitude/longitude search with a xx mile radius to get the result.

I believe my response for 10 miles from my home was ~2200, which was high but not the highest number.

In response to your question...

20 miles from city center (12th & Broadway), I came up with 5483 caches.

I brought this up a couple years ago on the boards, and I think Southern California had the densest area. For example, there are 5700 within 20 miles of San Diego. And keep in mind that's on the coast, so if the water wasn't there, they could have hidden even more. When you go further inland to Lemon Grove, it's almost 6500. So far that's the most I've seen, I'd like to see if there are other places that have more caches!

So far we've had three home towns with three very different saturation levels within 20 miles.

Wiesbaden, Germany: 3993 (nice!)

Charlottesville, VA: 194 (so lonely!)

Montgomery, AL: 868 (pretty darn good)

1701 from my perch in Cleveland, 1678 from my "permanent address" in Pittsburgh (ie where my parents live, I'm a student).

I might be studying in Bonn, Germany next year though and was pretty astounded to do a search there- 3448 caches within 20 miles! The grand majority of those are puzzle caches though with multis as a runner up (with traditional caches in the far minority) and most of those descriptions are in German though so most will be outside my capabilities until I learn the language. :rolleyes: