What I LOVE about caching :)

*mouse*

As Birdie suggested it on an other thread (and I thought it was a nice idea) I'll get the ball rolling.....

Long walks

Great views

Nice big fat ammo cans stuffed full of lovely swaps, bugs and coins

The smug feeling you get when you find a cache that everyone else has DNF'd for months

All the great friends I've made across the UK since I started caching

Camping events

Peach jars

GSAK

So many things to love about geocaching.

I enjoy being the first to find a cache, there's something about making that first mark on a virgin log book. Even if I'm the first to find after the log book has been replaced I rather like being the first to mark the log.

I love having an excuse to just get out and about and get myself lost, getting lots of exercise along the way. Since I bought my mountain bike I often use caches to decide on a route to cycle, which has gradually increased by fitness almost without me noticing. Caches at the top of big hills still don't quite make it onto the "things I love" list but they are getting there...

The great views from caches high up, or caches at the end of a long walk or ride. Even if they are micros or nanos, sometimes even if the cache itself doesn't generate much enjoyment the ride or walk there often does.

Finding out-of-the-way places that are just around the corner. Because caching gets me out on the bike I've gotten to know my way around my local area in much more detail and realised that places I thought were remote are actually just a few miles away.

Finding a cache after a string of people said they hunted for ages and couldn't find it is always nice. As is finding a cache with a caching partner who struggled with it, when I go straight to it.

I love getting out in the countryside with my kids. The cache means they don't realise they are getting fresh air and exercise it's just a nice by product of looking for the cache. They also go a lot further than they would otherwise.

I also love the fact that i'm starting to get the hang of thinking like a hider. What i mean by that is that i'm finding it easier to imagine where the cache will be once I get to GZ.

Going out to interesting places

Meeting other players in their natural habitat from time to time

The flexibility of the game... cache n dash or long walks depending on mood/time

It actually made me like walking! I get bored if just walking.

Best of all... this game has shown me I'm not the only nutter in the world :lol:

What do I love about caching? What's not to love?!

I love loads of things:

Nicely put together caches that are well thought out, in places I love to visit.

Camping events, where I get to cache with people I wouldn't normally cache with :D , and see old friends. :ph34r:

CITO events - always nice to "give something back" to the countryside. B)

And best of all...

Having a "Caching free" day out, but sneekily turning on the iphone to find a cache within 500ft that you can dash off to!!! :P

Edited by HazelS

Ending up in remote, quiet places I wouldn't usually see.

For example my favourite cache to date was a multi (one of the excellent Smuggler Quest series)

GZ was down a steep cliff, it was a misty day and I arrived when the tide was in and the sea was rough. 10 feet from the sea (but totally safe) and on my own signing the log. Was just a fantatsic experience.

In fact my profile pic is a photo I took of the cache & my GPS!

I think one of our absolute favourite things about caching is how we have found caches in places that (PC) we passed by, spent time in, in some cases sat/walked over/on/by - just the realisation that these containers have been there for years - awesome!

Only been to the one event but have met other cachers in the process, introduced some, repulsed others, but definitely love meeting like-minded people - like we're hoping to do at upcoming events.

Getting out to new (and old) places, we shouldn't need the excuse, but it's great to have one!

Seeing all the cool hides/containers, even some of the not-so-cool ones

Thinking up new containers and hides, testing the rest of you!

Knowing secrets muggles don't!

Oh, and boots ;-)

Sometimes I like to be able to find a dozen caches in an hour because they're along a trail and conveniently somewhere between 0.1 and 0.2 miles apart. If I'm in the mood for numbers they don't even have to be all that interesting as caches, although an enjoyable trail makes it all the better.

On the other hand there are times when a long puzzle can be frustrating but a lot of fun. The kind of cache site that's close enough to home to revisit again and again (and that's nice enough to make me want to revisit it again and again) trying to get just a little bit further each time. When the area is really nice it's doesn't even bother me if I hunt around for another hour only to return home having made precisely no progress whatsoever.

What do I love about caching?

• Bumping into other cachers of all ages and instantly having something to talk about
  • Bumping into cachers in Holland/Belgium/Germany etc and instantly having something to talk even if the language is a struggle!
  • Driving to places we would never have otherwise gone: Scottish Highlands, Germany, Luxembourg etc
  • Finding an ammo-box after long trek
  • Going for a walk and walking just that bit further to get a cache when previously we'd have turned back sooner.
  • Finding old caches
  • Walking 15 miles and stopping at McDonalds on the way home... :)

Mark