Loggin your own caches as found?

Delons

This morning I "found" my car keys on the table. "I" put them there last night.

No, I don't think logging your own caches is a good thing.

I agree with M5 that it may be a multiple user account and the one that hid it

isn't the same 1, or 2 that DNF and then found it even though it shows same account name.

We can't control how others interpret the rules and play the game, only how we play it.

Who cares and why should we?

There is no category for finding your own caches, they may be making sure every feature works on their cache site, it might be a family member (as stated) other than the cache placer, there could be lots of possible, lame or other reasons. As I tell my students, concentrate on your own work and quit worrying about everyone else.

But we all know that's not good enough, so if it's still bugging you, e-mail the individual and ask them...

I believe the majority of cachers don't and frown upon those who do. But as with most caching debates it comes down to the discretion of the CO, which obviously doesn't help in this case.

There are, however, a couple of exceptions that many have acknowledge may be a legitimate reason for logging your own cache.

If you have adopted a cache that you previously found then it's generally accepted that the previous find should remain intact.

Almost every opinion that I've read indicates that it's also acceptable to log a find on an event that you had published.

I've posted found it logs to my own caches. I've posted DNF logs to my own caches. I've even posted notes to my own caches with the word 'test' in them.

See where this is going?

Your own caches are a great place to test mobile device software after having problems to check whether everything is working. Different logging methods, fieldnotes, internet connections etc etc.

Posting such test logs to someone else's cache might be considered rude, but on your own no one can complain.

Of course I do go back and delete the logs when the testing is complete.

Maybe this person just hasn't got round to, or has forgotten to, go back and delete the test logs.

Looks like they were testing logging from their (perhaps new) phone on their own cache judging by the wording of the logs.

Don't know the reason for the OP posting a find on his own cache though.

I don't know why someone would log their own cache, but the site allows it, and it doesn't harm anybody else.

The site basically allows it for caches you adopted from someone else, and caches hidden a team member of a team account. There's a quote from the CEO around about that somewhere, but I don't have it handy. :blink: If someone does it on a cache they just hid by themselves, I find that cheesy beyond all cheesiness. But I couldn't care less, really. I've only seen a handful of people do that in my area in over 7 years of Geocaching, and I would describe all of them as "eccentric" members of the local Geocaching community. :P

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Who cares do what you want its your game. go find 1270 caches (aprox 1 every 30 seconds) and have fun boasting about something else no one cares about except the people that love to boast about irrelevant numbers

Do you also believe in the tooth fairy

Leprechauns, Santa Claus, The Great Pumpkin, The Easter Bunny (he was at my house this Halloween) Annual Gift Bringing Man, and Power Trails. all plausible myths

I don't know why someone would log their own cache, but the site allows it, and it doesn't harm anybody else.

The site basically allows it for caches you adopted from someone else, and caches hidden a team member of a team account. There's a quote from the CEO around about that somewhere, but I don't have it handy. :) If someone does it on a cache they just hid by themselves, I find that cheesy beyond all cheesiness. But I couldn't care less, really. I've only seen a handful of people do that in my area in over 7 years of Geocaching, and I would describe all of them as "eccentric" members of the local Geocaching community. :)

I think the only times I've seen it, other than team finds and adopted caches, is when some n00b who doesn't know how to use a computer and/or the internet posts found it logs to their cache instead of owner logs.

And it's absolutely justifiable to find that both sad and hilarious.

Of course, when someone gets in a huff and calls it "cheating," that's equally sad and hilarious.

Normally I agree that it makes no sense to log "Found it" on one's own cache, but yesterday I did just that, right before archiving the cache.

Here's my log:

Yeah, yeah, I know. But it had been moved from where I hid it, so I really did have to find it. To call what was done here "tree trimming" is a gross understatement; it looks as though twenty years or more of growth was cut down, and the whole area is now open and exposed. The cutters found the cache and rehid it, but they put it up so high in a tree that I had to get my 3-step stepstool and still could just barely reach it to remove it.

Why did I do it? I just felt like it. I found it completely by accident and was so amazed that it was still actually there--although about 20 feet away from its original location.

I've posted found it logs to my own caches. I've posted DNF logs to my own caches. I've even posted notes to my own caches with the word 'test' in them.

See where this is going?

Your own caches are a great place to test mobile device software after having problems to check whether everything is working. Different logging methods, fieldnotes, internet connections etc etc.

Posting such test logs to someone else's cache might be considered rude, but on your own no one can complain.

Of course I do go back and delete the logs when the testing is complete.

Maybe this person just hasn't got round to, or has forgotten to, go back and delete the test logs.

Looks like they were testing logging from their (perhaps new) phone on their own cache judging by the wording of the logs.

Don't know the reason for the OP posting a find on his own cache though.

Apparently they can...

It's frowned upon...we have had someone here do thing same thing for many of his caches. I had a chuckle each time I saw his log on his caches - "my cache." Not very original. I hope those who do sign their logbooks! :)

Each to their own, though - it can't add much to their total find count unless they are prolific hiders. Don't let it bug you.

It's frowned upon...we have had someone here do thing same thing for many of his caches. I had a chuckle each time I saw his log on his caches - "my cache." Not very original. I hope those who do sign their logbooks! :)

Each to their own, though - it can't add much to their total find count unless they are prolific hiders. Don't let it bug you.

Those that hid the caches for the now-defunct Trail of the Gods each logged every cache as a find. That added something like 625 finds to their count. That's well over twice as many finds as I've had in almost four years of geocaching.

I've got a moving cache that I have logged multiple times. It gets moved after each find, so its like finidng a new cache.

Has not anyone ever had a hard time finding your cache when you go to check up on it? While I would not log mine (other than my moving cache), logging your own cache is certinaly more legitimate than logging finds on some of these power trails. These power trail sure lower the standard for what is considered a find. So I say more power to you for logging your own cache each time you find it.

Who cares do what you want its your game. go find 1270 caches (aprox 1 every 30 seconds) and have fun boasting about something else no one cares about except the people that love to boast about irrelevant numbers

Do you also believe in the tooth fairy

You don't have to read every thread. If you're not interested in it, don't read the thread. I'd rather read about someone being excited and proud of their accomplishment than the incessant whining and passive aggressiveness.

Anyway... back on topic.

There are some people who will frown upon you logging your own caches as finds, and for the most part, people don't do it. It's just kind of looked at as bad form.

However, technically it is possible, but if you do; what do you really have to gain from it? I think that we get out of geocaching what we put into it; and what would make you feel better, finding a cache that you didn't know where it was and logging it, or logging your own find? Personally, I would enjoy the pleasure and challenge of finding a hidden cache that I didn't know the location of over just logging my own find. I wouldn't find any personal satisfaction or accomplishment in that.

Hope that answers your question.