Cache Sizes

Yshf

I love nanos! Small caches are my favorite! I love being able to reach up (or down) and just grab one. I also love showing them to people.

I like the challenge of avoiding muggles. Of course i like ammo cans too but caches hidden in an urban environment are usually more creative.

Any other nano lovers out there? I feel alone...

I love nanos! Small caches are my favorite! I love being able to reach up (or down) and just grab one. I also love showing them to people.

I like the challenge of avoiding muggles. Of course i like ammo cans too but caches hidden in an urban environment are usually more creative.

Any other nano lovers out there? I feel alone...

I'm sure you're not alone.

I suspect a lot of the dislike is the sameness of so many of the micros. I see you've found 18 traditional caches. At this stage in your caching life, you haven't seen that many and they are new & fresh to you. But when you've literally seen 100's of film cans in trees and lamp posts, their charm wears off. Ammo boxes may just be under a stack of sticks, but each one has it's own unique set of contents and the locations are likely to be more attractive.

I suspect most cachers would like a micro if it's creative and in a good location.

Edit...

I misread your post, you said nano and I responded to Micro. My comments still stand as the concepts are the same. Nano's can be creative, but too often they are the same ol' thing.

Edited by Ecylram

For the most part there are few who actually hate a cache because of its size. I hate the repetitive caches. LPCs to me are just one more parking lot. Now if that LPC is along the walk on an historic pier it could end up as one of my all time favorite hides. Most of the nanos I've seen have been on fence posts and street sign posts. BoRing. But put one on the doors to a museum and now we're talking! Even if I'm not a fan of stealth caches.

Nano's are ok. i haven't seen too many creative ones so i'm not overly excited about them. What i dislike is the nano log. My screen name is too long for them! i prefer micros over nanos.

Don't use your whole screen name. Sign them SOTW. It won't take folks long to figure out that is you. We always sign the tiny logs G&B.

I don't really have any preference as far as size goes. My highly biased caching aesthetics usually kick in when considering the location. I'm a latent bunny/tree hugger from way back, so my preferred place to spend my recreational time is going to be somewhere out in the wilds. A business parking lot is not some where I want to spend my free time, so I tend to avoid caching there. I also am not fond of road right of ways, which excludes my caching at guardrails, shrubbery and such. Locally, these locations are almost exclusively the environment chosen by those who hide micros, (including nanos), and in an effort to avoid hunting caches in places that hold no appeal to me, I simply keep micros, others and size not chosen out of my PQs.

I don't mind nanos as a cache size as long as the cache is placed in a place that can't sustain a larger size instead of just thrown on a tree because it's easy. If the nano fits the environment great.

I don't tiny hands so manipulating the container can be a real problem let alone the log.

And I don't mind them until you find one where the log was filled up a long time ago and the cache owner doesn't seem to care or has vanished. If one is going to insist on leaving a tiny little container out there with a tiny little log then they are signing on for more maintenance. It would be nice if that was performed. I personally won't replace logs on micros and nanos for that reason. It's like getting a kitten and expecting everyone else to clean the litter box.

I quite like Nanos, as long as they're not in the middle of a forest and painted green :laughing:

Nanos work very well in towns and cities, where I can pop out and do a cache at lunchtime. Outside of cities and towns I prefer to find Small sized caches, so there is something to look at.

I tend to do a mixture of the two generally.

The only thing about nano's I don't like is the tiny log. It takes WAY longer to sign and replace a nano log than it does to find most of them.....really a problem on windy days. They can be hidden in many creative ways and can be a lot of fun ( and hard ) to find.

And yet they so seldom are. Unless you consider stuck to the back of a stop sign as creative and fun to find.

The only thing about nano's I don't like is the tiny log. It takes WAY longer to sign and replace a nano log than it does to find most of them.....really a problem on windy days. They can be hidden in many creative ways and can be a lot of fun ( and hard ) to find.

And yet they so seldom are. Unless you consider stuck to the back of a stop sign as creative and fun to find.

On the front is better, but I'll take the back.

I am not overly fond of Nano's but in the urban environment they are almost a necessity. One of the advantages is that most are magnetic which gives a good idea of where to look.

Like many cachers I don't want to see them or micros in environments where they are not necessary. Micros in the forest generally to straight to my ignore list.

I am not overly fond of Nano's but in the urban environment they are almost a necessity. One of the advantages is that most are magnetic which gives a good idea of where to look.

Like many cachers I don't want to see them or micros in environments where they are not necessary. Micros in the forest generally to straight to my ignore list.

Define necessary. I've seen the argument that a nano or micro is the only container that will "fit" in an urban environment but I'm not convinced that it's "necessary" to place a cache in many of the places I've found caches in urban environments. Frankly, I'd rather some of these caches didn't exist if only because it might open an area for someone with a little more imagination than what it takes to slap a small magnetic container on the back of a road sign to place something more interesting.

Define necessary. I've seen the argument that a nano or micro is the only container that will "fit" in an urban environment but I'm not convinced that it's "necessary" to place a cache in many of the places I've found caches in urban environments.

Using that logic, no cache is 'necessary'. This is just a silly game, after all.
Frankly, I'd rather some of these caches didn't exist if only because it might open an area for someone with a little more imagination than what it takes to slap a small magnetic container on the back of a road sign to place something more interesting.

Spoken like a true nano-hater. Of course, the same could be said about any cache that you don't like. I'd rather that <insert unliked cache here> didn't exist so the area would be opened up to <cache I do like>. Edited by sbell111

Define necessary. I've seen the argument that a nano or micro is the only container that will "fit" in an urban environment but I'm not convinced that it's "necessary" to place a cache in many of the places I've found caches in urban environments.

Using that logic, no cache is 'necessary'. This is just a silly game, after all.
Frankly, I'd rather some of these caches didn't exist if only because it might open an area for someone with a little more imagination than what it takes to slap a small magnetic container on the back of a road sign to place something more interesting.

Spoken like a true nano-hater. Of course, the same could be said about any cache that you don't like. I'd rather that <insert unliked cache here> didn't exist so the area would be opened up to <cache I do like>.

I don't hate nanos, or any other caches size for that matter. Hate is a pretty strong word for a silly game.

The thing is, hiding a nano or a micro takes little imagination yet it takes up exactly the same amount of real estate when it comes to proximity guidelines. If there is a proximity gap in an urban area I would rather see it remain empty until someone can come up with something more imaginative then slapping a container on a road sign or guard rail. It might even involve a micro container, but as long as it's something different then the gazillion guard rail, LPC, or road sign hides, that's what I'd prefer to see.

Nano's are ok. i haven't seen too many creative ones so i'm not overly excited about them. What i dislike is the nano log. My screen name is too long for them! i prefer micros over nanos.

Sometimes I run into the same problem with nanos. My solution was to abbreviate...(WC97). You could do the same with (SOTW). It's still "legal" as long as you sign the log with some form of your screen name that is recognizable...IMMHO.

Sometimes I run into the same problem with nanos. My solution was to abbreviate...(WC97). You could do the same with (SOTW). It's still "legal" as long as you sign the log with some form of your screen name that is recognizable...IMMHO.

The thing is, hiding a nano or a micro takes little imagination yet it takes up exactly the same amount of real estate when it comes to proximity guidelines.
My experience is the opposite. The most imaginative hides I've found have generally been micros. It's hard to create 4-star camouflage for a small cache, never mind a regular or large cache.

In contrast, the larger caches have been hidden in fairly unimaginative ways--under sticks, under rocks, in hollow logs, etc.

I don't hate nanos, or any other caches size for that matter. Hate is a pretty strong word for a silly game.

The thing is, hiding a nano or a micro takes little imagination yet it takes up exactly the same amount of real estate when it comes to proximity guidelines. If there is a proximity gap in an urban area I would rather see it remain empty until someone can come up with something more imaginative then slapping a container on a road sign or guard rail. It might even involve a micro container, but as long as it's something different then the gazillion guard rail, LPC, or road sign hides, that's what I'd prefer to see.

Do you feel the same way about larger caches hidden under a pile of sticks? Should that section of forest stay cache-free until someone hides something more imaginative?

An ammo can in a forest is a different beast altogether. These caches are about the journey, but for me anyways, urbans are generally about the hide and the area.

Good walk, challenging find and interesting container...these are what I value in a cache placement. Urbans sometimes provide none of these. Bring me somewhere interesting and I will happily sign the film can's log, but If it's outside a Walmart, I sure hope it's more clever a container than that.

I guess i'm not alone!!!

Now that i think about it, i think i just like urban caches, not specifically nanos. I like being out with my friends in town and just knowing that there are some nearby. That way i can show them and have fun without driving out into the middle of no where.

Also, when most people think of nanos (including me) they think of that tiny container stuck on a sign, but i have found some that really blend in. AND!!! if you go to the cool cache containers topic, then you will see that people make their own kinds of nano. In fact i made one!!! (NYPaddlecacher, I think you know what i'm talking about!)

Of course i still like other caches too, but i like not having to devote a day to caching where i have to drive out and find a large cache in the woods.

I don't mind nano's really.

Sometimes they can be a lot of fun because of the challenge.

but like a lot of others, I prefer to cache out in nature.

Nano's in the woods suck.

Generally an area can be really trashed even looking for a micro.

A nano in the woods in worse than a needle in a haystack, it's like a needle in a field of haystacks.

So I prefer ammo cans because they are usually what is out in the woods, and the woods are less likely to be destroyed by them.

I do enjoy a creative challenging nano hide in the city now and then.

I am one who avoids caches with muggles abound and will not do them at all

I would rather be out in nature. The size of the cache does not matter to me as long as it is findable.

I prefer the tradeable cache cause I like to see what creative things went in there.

I did find a nano in the woods - but most everyone was finding this one after a hard search and a keen eye.

I don't hate nanos and micros, I just don't like to use stealth. Most of the nanos and micros around my area are too out in the open for my tastes. One of the first nanos I found, however, was in a really cool place less than five miles from my home. It was near an industrial area and the Rouge River, but suprisingly it was secluded and made for a nice hike along the river. The viadocks that were by the river had some pretty interesting graffiti. (On a side note I was glad that I went during the day, because I imagine it could be a little freaky at night.) Since it was one of my first geocache finds, it took me forever to find it because I had no idea what to look for. When I did find it, though, I was really excited. Since then I have noticed that most of the nanos and micros are in high muggle areas. So I usually do a quick drive by and leave. My husband, though, did find one on a signpost on a very busy road that he just had to get because it was bugging him that it was right there. I was a grump and waited in the car.