Mosquito repellant

bittsen

I just heard on the radio today that dryer sheets are a good mosquito repellant.

Anyone know anything about this? (I mean firsthand, not a google article reference)

Has anyone tried it?

If it works then why wouldn't it work if you just used a dryer sheet with your normal laundry? Wouldn't the smell be in your clothes?

Ok, I spent this evening walking around with a fern on my head, a pork chop around my neck, and my pockets stuffed with dryer sheets. The effect on the local mosquito population was negligible.

However, I DID notice a marked tendency in passersby to cross to the other side of the street when I approached. So, there may be something to these methods as a type of repellant.

Ok, I spent this evening walking around with a fern on my head, a pork chop around my neck, and my pockets stuffed with dryer sheets. The effect on the local mosquito population was negligible.

However, I DID notice a marked tendency in passersby to cross to the other side of the street when I approached. So, there may be something to these methods as a type of repellant.

congrats!!!! you just found the perfect muggle repellent :signalviolin:

That has got to be the funniest post I've read in a week! :signalviolin::wacko::(:P

This is probably 90% paranoid BS, but I found it interesting. I did NOT take the time to verify the information, so take this for what its worth:

Do You Use Dryer Sheets? Think Again!

CNS = Central Nervous System, your brain and spine. CNS disorders include: Alzheimer's Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder, Dementia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Seizures, Strokes, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. CNS exposure symptoms include: aphasia, blurred vision, disorientation, dizziness, headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and spine.

Principal chemicals found in Fabric Softeners/Dryer Sheets are:

ALPHA-TERPINEOL - Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders... "highly irritating to mucous membranes" ..."Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."

BENZYL ACETATE - Carconigenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic

effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

BENZYL ALCOHOL - Causes CNS disorders ..."irritating to the upper respiratory tract"..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

CAMPHOR - Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms: "local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body

tissues" ..."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation of vapors."

CHLOROFORM - Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. on EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ...Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin disorders." "Conditions to avoid: Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.

ETHYL ACETATE - Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)"..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."

LIMONENE - Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating, drinking ...applying cosmetics. Do not inhale limonene vapor."

LINALOOL - Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances" ..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor activity and depression ...depressed heart activity...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."

PENTANE - "Danger - Harmful if inhaled ...Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated

inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)."

This is probably 90% paranoid BS, but I found it interesting. I did NOT take the time to verify the information, so take this for what its worth:

Do You Use Dryer Sheets? Think Again!

CNS = Central Nervous System, your brain and spine. CNS disorders include: Alzheimer's Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder, Dementia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Seizures, Strokes, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. CNS exposure symptoms include: aphasia, blurred vision, disorientation, dizziness, headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and spine.

Principal chemicals found in Fabric Softeners/Dryer Sheets are:

ALPHA-TERPINEOL - Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders... "highly irritating to mucous membranes" ..."Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."

BENZYL ACETATE - Carconigenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic

effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

BENZYL ALCOHOL - Causes CNS disorders ..."irritating to the upper respiratory tract"..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

CAMPHOR - Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms: "local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body

tissues" ..."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation of vapors."

CHLOROFORM - Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. on EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ...Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin disorders." "Conditions to avoid: Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.

ETHYL ACETATE - Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)"..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."

LIMONENE - Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating, drinking ...applying cosmetics. Do not inhale limonene vapor."

LINALOOL - Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."respiratory disturbances" ..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor activity and depression ...depressed heart activity...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."

PENTANE - "Danger - Harmful if inhaled ...Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated

inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)."

Here, fixed it fer yas: 100%

ALCOHOL - ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness

This was the only part that caught my eye in that dense mass of text. Ah yes, I remember those days. Good times, good times.

congrats!!!! you just found the perfect muggle repellent

That's it! It'll work great! Urban caching, here I come!

Dude, didn't anyone have a camera phone?! We want proof! (and a good laugh)

i've taken a different approach.... a passive aggressive type of repellent for those pesky state birds.

i juice my kids up with kool ade and candy bars. at that point, their blood sugar is so attractive to the mosquitoes, they don't even notice me.

:)

That made me laugh. :) I don't think I'd want to subject my kids to that torture though.......

Our skeeters drink skin so soft and laugh at the people wearing it. Does nothing against them here. Maybe bugs are different elsewhere.

Bingo!!

You nailed it!!

Just as there is no ONE fish bait for trout, there is no single repellant for mosquitos (except DEET)

When fishing for trout, some love cheese, some love salmon eggs and some love worms.

Some skeeters are repelled by Skin so Soft and some "may" be repelled by dryer sheets (but I doubt it) and some may hate listerine...

It sounds as if DEET is still the best choice.

Our skeeters drink skin so soft and laugh at the people wearing it. Does nothing against them here. Maybe bugs are different elsewhere.

Bingo!!

You nailed it!!

Just as there is no ONE fish bait for trout, there is no single repellant for mosquitos (except DEET)

When fishing for trout, some love cheese, some love salmon eggs and some love worms.

Some skeeters are repelled by Skin so Soft and some "may" be repelled by dryer sheets (but I doubt it) and some may hate listerine...

When fishing for trout, they will all eat cheese, they will all love salmon eggs and all will eat worms. But only the special ones will rise to a size 26 Blue Winged Olive on a 7X tippet drifted without the least hint of drag.

What was my point...? Oh yeah... you forgot to mention corn!

When fishing for trout, they will all eat cheese, they will all love salmon eggs and all will eat worms. But only the special ones will rise to a size 26 Blue Winged Olive on a 7X tippet drifted without the least hint of drag.

You have weird trout.

Corn is illegal here or i would have mentioned it.

You have weird trout.

As well it should be. It ummm.... plugs them up.

You have weird trout.

I'm not an angler but you've peaked my interest. Why is corn a no-no? Too irresistible to the trout?

You have weird trout.

I'm not an angler but you've peaked my interest. Why is corn a no-no? Too irresistible to the trout?

It plugs up their poo-poo. Or, at least, that's what we are told by the trout poo studiers.

You have weird trout.

As knowschad said, the trout cannot fully digest corn (sort of like humans) and the husks end up plugging them up and they die if they get the corn off of the hook but aren't caught.

When I was little, the #1 bait was corn and it was OK to fish in the middle of the night too. You could catch a lot of fish at 2AM using corn.

Bingo!!

You nailed it!!

Didn't work at St. Croix SP last weekend. I was covered with 40% and the skeeters still nearly carried me away.

i've taken a different approach.... a passive aggressive type of repellent for those pesky state birds.

i juice my kids up with kool ade and candy bars. at that point, their blood sugar is so attractive to the mosquitoes, they don't even notice me.

:)

Oh heavens, that made me laugh so hard I have tears! I tend to skip on the bug-spray as mosquitoes have never liked me much... but my husband and offspring sure seem to be tasty! I really need to be better at remembering to spray them down before we leave the house. Note to self: add DEET to the shopping list.

Bingo!!

You nailed it!!

Didn't work at St. Croix SP last weekend. I was covered with 40% and the skeeters still nearly carried me away.

40% DEET didn't work? Maybe you dont apply it correctly. You know that you have to spray it on yourself right?

PS What are the health impacts of using DEET? Never mind, I will google it.

Check out this link from Health Canada on insect repelent

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/life-vie/insect-eng.php

Looks like DEET is truely the best thing for mosquitos and ticks. Black flies looks like Soybean Oil is the way to go.

Skin so Soft works great for black files...................but only in New Hampshire. :laughing:;):huh:

http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/PR_SOL/pr_web.ve1?p_ukid=4395

According to Avon's Health Canada Pest Control Product submission, you are correct.

Repels black flies for up to an hour.
Also,
OIL OF CITRONELLA 0.05%
. Is that actualy going to repel anything

From Health Canada (found in the previously supplied link):

Not Recommended for Personal Protection

The following products are not recommended for a variety of reasons. They may not be very effective or long-lasting, and may have the potential to be harmful to human health.

Electronic or ultrasonic devices

Electrocuting devices, such as bug zappers

Wristbands, neckbands and ankle bands impregnated with repellents

Odour-baited mosquito traps

Citrosa houseplants

Vitamin B1 taken orally

Skin moisturizers and insect repellent-combination products are not approved for use by Health Canada. Use separate products simultaneously when required.

Bolded added by me. I have heard of these things that are supposed to be so great and better for your health (based on the DEET is bad theory). Guess they get a FAIL.

Looks like DEET is truely the best thing for mosquitos and ticks. Black flies looks like Soybean Oil is the way to go.

I'm a little leery of that. For example, they say "The higher the DEET concentration in the repellent formula, the longer it provides protection." That's not quite true. Once you get above 50%, there is very little additional protection. And not even a mention of Picaridine, which is as effective as DEET, but won't melt your GPS screen??? Makes me wonder how long ago that was actually written.

I'm a little leery of that. For example, they say "The higher the DEET concentration in the repellent formula, the longer it provides protection." That's not quite true. Once you get above 50%, there is very little additional protection. And not even a mention of Picaridine, which is as effective as DEET, but won't melt your GPS screen??? Makes me wonder how long ago that was actually written.

So, can you sight a (scientific) study on that? As for the consentration, the article states

One application of 30% DEET should be effective for six hours against mosquitos.
I think that this suggests that they are not advocating higher than 50%.

So, can you sight a (scientific) study on that? As for the consentration, the article states

One application of 30% DEET should be effective for six hours against mosquitos.
I sighted a site that I can cite:

The more DEET a product contains, the longer the repellant can protect against mosquito bites. However, concentrations higher than 50 percent do not increase the length of protection. For most situations, 10 percent to 25 percent DEET is adequate.

Edited by knowschad

No, that statement isn't "suggesting" anything. It's just stating what the effective time period for a 30% concentration. What it IS suggesting, is that you can just keep upping the concentration, and keep getting a greater effective time period, which is incorrect.

"Greater insect repellent concentrations provide a longer duration of protection. For example, one study showed that a product containing 23.8% DEET provided an average of 5 hours of protection from mosquito bites; a product containing 20% DEET provided almost 4 hours of protection; a product with 6.65% DEET provided almost 2 hours of protection; and products with 4.75% DEET were able to provide roughly 1 and a half hours of protection. The effectiveness of DEET does not increase at concentrations >50%."

Edited by Prime Suspect