I am leaving geocaching......

Although I'm new I would like to comment on one of your points.

I find it DISGUSTING that the volunteers are not given premium profile! I will now not buy membership because I don't want to support administration that is that unethical. I will continue to geocache, but that is just POOR.

And just you think are the platinum members?

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN (sorry caps) premium and platinum?

one actually EXISTS! :lol:

Geocaching can also be not terribly safe to do it alone, ive been out looking for caches in the bush on several occasions by myself and found myself in some situations where i felt i could wind up seriously hurt, and nobody would know where i was, or could go for help. So i am sort of stuck to urban hides, (which are not even all that safe to do alone either in some cases) and we all know most bushwhacking hides generally are better than urban ones.

I have been alone in a few geocaching situations where I thought, darn this is going to suck because it will hurt alot when I fall. But those are few and far between. The past 3 days I have cached in WA, OR, ID and MT alone. As a female it can be a bit precarious. Especially at night. Once of the first geocaches I did was in the Berheim Forest in KY. Alone, in the dark in a dress and flip flops with a GPSr that I was only just learning how to use and a pen light. I took off the GPSr when I found the cache (my first Ammo can) and realized that was my lifeline. The flash of fear and the imagined sounds of banjos permiated my brain. But I didn't let that stop me.

My mom used to come along every now and again, only because she worried about me. This trip, once my dad realized I was alone got a bit scared for me and told me he didn't like it. I told him I would check in from time to time.

But ya know, despite my highly social work life, I am really an anti-social at heart. This is the perfect game to play on your own.

I suspect this part is really a small issue in the bigger picture.

Honestly, you were a royal pain in the...

But you need to learn that sometimes trying to buck a system that has been in place for a long time and something that most have accepted and work with is not the most pleasant and best thing to do; as you saw for yourself.

You opened yourself up to a lot of brutality, maybe you are a masochist at heart. Not a bad thing, so am I, lol.

Its too bad that you didn't hang in there, but to be honest, I didn't think you would make it in the long run.

Good luck to your future endeavors.

Sorry to disillusion you, ashnikes, but you can not leave now. You have been initiated. You are no longer a muggle. You can not return to that blissful state of ignorance. However much you try to ignore geocaching it will sneak back up on you: You'll be somewhere in 6 months/6 years time and you'll see something, or notice an ideal hiding place and you'll think, "Heck - that would be great for a cache. I wonder if I could create..."

Please don't archive your caches yet. Promise me you'll let them run for a minimum 6 months? Pretty please? In the meantime, do what you feel you must do (or mustn't do). And Good Luck with it.

MrsB :lol:

What's the deal with caching solo? I'm a solo cacher and would have it no other way. I've cached with others on a few occasions but prefer to do it alone. As to the original poster my only suggestion is - Shut down the pity party and stop feeling sorry for yourself. No one but you truly cares whether you stop caching or not.

What's the deal with caching solo? I'm a solo cacher and would have it no other way. I've cached with others on a few occasions but prefer to do it alone. As to the original poster my only suggestion is - Shut down the pity party and stop feeling sorry for yourself. No one but you truly cares whether you stop caching or not.

The guy is feeling down due to the loss of a GF. Allow him to have a pity party. Doesn't hurt you.

While Ashnikes may not be my favorite person he does seem like a decent enough guy that may just be a little over eager at times.

I hope he will just take a break and eventually return to a hobby that he once enjoyed.

For the most part he has taken the well deserved jabs at him in stride.

Take care shnikes and don't let the loss of a GF spoil something you enjoy. The sadness will pass and the fun will return.

Yeah youre right brslk,

you and the majority of people who post on this forum have already made me feel lots better about the whole situation.

I guess The Blorenges is right, geocaching is kindof like the hotel california,

I just need to get out of orlando and do it. then i wont have a problem.

Oh, dear. I mostly cache by myself. Never thought that was a reason to leave. Some how I felt you would be a quick flash and then gone. Good luck with life.

+1

My geocaching (and life) partner lives 200 miles away right now. When we get together, about once a month or so, we generally do some geocaching. Otherwise, pretty much all of my geocaching is done solo.

And please don't tell me I'm not having any fun when I geocache on my own. I'm still having a great time after more than four years of caching.

--Larry

While I can't help you with the girlfriend issue, (other than to parrot what you already know: "In time, you will heal"), I can offer some advice to keep your caching interesting. Take a couple days off to look over your finds, picking those you enjoyed the most. You will likely see a pattern, in that the quality hides are done by a relatively small sect of Central Florida cachers. Once you figure out whose hides you like, go hunt the rest of theirs. Pay no attention to who else's name is in the logbooks. Do this for you. If, after you do that, you still have little or no interest in playing this game, walk away, knowing you gave it your best shot.

It's just a game. If you are going to whine about it and just quit SEE YA LATER!

You can stay and try to change the things you dont like.

I cache alone quite a bit. If I get tired or board of it I take someone and

introduce them to the game. Get help if you need it and Good Luck!

Wow - one of the better rants/geocides I have seen for a few years!!

It had angst, praise, condemnation, self pity, arrogance, length, temper, advice, threats and attitdue.

I'll give it a 8.5

You can't vote... its not over yet. At least, I'm betting that it isn't.

It's boring as living hell. :lol:

[potty language and personal attack removed by moderator] you need a beer and a good woman or two to make you happy.

I still remember not being able to listen to the band Journey for years because an old girlfriend used to listen to them all the time. Not to mention, I couldn't stand white Mustangs with the black stripe down the middle because her new boyfriend drove one. So, I joined the Army and learned how to kill. Years later, I don't remember what she looked like or her birthday. But, can you believe it? I still remember her stupid number: 355-TYKA.

As for Geocaching, who cares if you don't enjoy it anymore. Many of us do. So, don't be a KillJoy. Enjoy life to it's fullest extent. Before you can be happy with anyone, or an activity, you have to learn how to love yourself. [offensive content removed by moderator]

Hey, Don't stop believin'.

I have found that anything is only as boring as I allow it to be.

And having cached with a partner, with a group and solo, I have fun no matter which way. But that's because I like having fun and do my best to make sure that that is what I'm having.

It had angst, praise, condemnation, self pity, arrogance, length, temper, advice, threats and attitdue.

I'll give it a 8.5

5.5. He's already backtracking...

Yeah youre right brslk,

you and the majority of people who post on this forum have already made me feel lots better about the whole situation.

I guess The Blorenges is right, geocaching is kindof like the hotel california,

I just need to get out of orlando and do it. then i wont have a problem.

Hey, you live in Orlando?!

Have you done Joe vs. the Volcane (http://coord.info/gc13f4q)? I solved that puzzle a while back (it was fun and not too tough), but I haven't been back to Orlando since. I had to cancle my trip I was planning (due ot money, or lack there of). I think Aug 2011 I will be back, and hopefully that puzzle will still be there.

Edited to correct cache code

Edited by Andronicus

Nothing quite as fun as watching a teen tantrum when his favorite girl moves on.

Hey!

smack.gif

Show a bit of dragonly sympathy, will you? I bet you've been like that many moons ago... :)

(In fact... thinking about it... I wouldn't be surprised if you were very like ashnikes once upon a time...)

MrsB :lol:

I have found that anything is only as boring as I allow it to be.

And having cached with a partner, with a group and solo, I have fun no matter which way. But that's because I like having fun and do my best to make sure that that is what I'm having.

Yeah, that's why, given the choice, I don't do stuff that I consider boring as living hell.

And, no, I don't play checkers either. :):D:D

I just read every response to this thread. Every one. What the majority of you failed to realize was that he was never going to quit. He said he was. He wasn't. It was clear from the original post that he wasn't. He was ranting due to the loss of a GF, and probably a short term one at that. People don't rant on the loss of long term loved one's in that manner. Whatever.

To the OP. Come on over to California. I'll go caching with you as long as you aren't as intentionally obnoxious as you are here in the forums. When you complain about the old souls (one of which I am not) you need to also step back and take a look at your antagonistic nature. Quit being a pain and people will be nicer to you. Pretty simple analysis.

As far as GS's rules for hiding caches, why should they change them for you? You are well aware of the rules before you place hides (you really should be, and I believe you were), so if you don't like the rules, don't hide caches. Again, it's simple.

You make it sound like GS forces their volunteers to volunteer. They choose to do so. What perks they do or do not receive are their business/problem, not yours. Drop it. This passtime wouldn't even be in existance if it weren't for the volunteers. That's the case with millions of small grassroots and/or non profits. you really think that there are enough premium members for GS to "make a killing?" You're nuts. @ $30 a year? Come on man, think about that for a minute. It's not monthly, it's not that much money.

Either way, I don't know whether to welcome you back, welcome you still here, or bid you farewell (I highly doubt that) but in no way, at least here on the forums or regarding the game in general, have you been wronged in any way.

It all depends on the company.

I rate this Geocide a 6 out of a possible 10. :lol:

I give it a four. It meandered too much with loads of faulty info and it presumed that everyone knew who he was and was waiting for his grand exit.

The OP has twice as many posts as he does finds. When will you forum rats get it through your sad little heads that Geocaching is something that you do, not something that you just talk about.

Pssst. Some of us have lives that allow much more internet time than wandering-about-outside time.

It's boring as living hell. :)

Good answer.

Although I'm new I would like to comment on one of your points.

I find it DISGUSTING that the volunteers are not given premium profile! I will now not buy membership because I don't want to support administration that is that unethical. I will continue to geocache, but that is just POOR.

And just you think are the platinum members?

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN (sorry caps) premium and platinum?

besides a few letters?

there is no platinum, unless you believe in the flying spaghetti monster. then anything is possible.

Ahem, I for one, have been touched by His noodly appendage. He helped me become a Platinum Member.

Yes im sure some of you may be ecstatic to hear that news, some of you may say I told you so, and some of you may be upset, but none the less, I am retiring ashnikes from geocaching.

For a few reasons..... (warning, verbal tirade ahead, if you would like to just say "i told you so, or leave rude remarks towards me feel free to skip my rant, and just hit the quick reply button now. Thanks for your support)

I and others have been hard on you, not to make you leave the game but rather to get you to consider your posts and how many of them negatively affect our online community. Most of us have found a way to disagree without being disagreeable, a life skill that you might consider adopting.

First off, due to my unconventional social nature, I generally wind up hunting caches alone.

This was fine when they were all within a very short radius of my home, and I didnt mind hunting micros, but I have found the majority of finds in the area where I live, and the rest are either puzzles I cant solve, or micros i no longer enjoy finding.

Hunting in groups might be fun, but like I said, since I tend to "not get along" with most people from what I hear I do not foresee myself hunting caches in a group any time soon.

"Unconventional social nature". I get that. Some folks are just different. Some have emotional and social issues that require professional assistance to overcome. I have a 21 year old son with such issues... he can be a serious PITA in certain social situations and you have to love him a lot to put up with it and accept him. He refuses counseling, he'll go to a shrink after a particularly embarrassing outburst or fit of rage but he usually won't go back a second time... until he loses it again (today was because the bathing suit he bought at Old Navy didn't fit, so he pitched a hissy fit at the gym his sister invited him to. She's 19 and has had just about enough of his antics that I doubt she'll be inviting him along much longer.

I think most of us have dealt with someone in our lives who had to one degree or another an "unconventional social nature". Depending on the relationship we choose to accept or reject such behavior.

The thing is, you have appeared proud of your unconventional social nature, flaunting the fact that you enjoy troll posts and creating angst in this forum.

Unlike with a son, we don't love you enough to have to put up with it!

I, and I think I'm safe to say we, don't want you to quit geocaching. We want you to quit acting out in the forum. Drop the provocateur act, trying to elicit negative responses, making up stuff to troll post about, arguing rather than discussing, and you will become an accepted and appreciated member of the forum community.

If you can't stop then yes, it's probably best that you move on.

Second, I really enjoy hiding caches. Caches I would like to find, strange there just arnt that many in my area I would like to find, except of course mine, and the few which I have already contacted the owners thanking them for the neato hides.

Plus, hiding caches is a royal pain. It's strange caches with no thought get approved almost immediately, and we wonder why there are so many lame hides. But I feel like I have to jump through hoops to hide caches that owuld be awesome, and I just do not have the energy to fight those battles anymore, nore the interest. Yes I am talking about some of the tried and true rules and regulations I just do not agree with, or feel are way too broad, and taken way too seriously. I understand they are established for valid reasons, but some of them just ruin the game for me.

Can't help you there. Millions of people are able to cache within the Guidelines and enjoy the game, so if you can't then you probably do need to find another game.

Third, this forum is filled with tons of old souls who frequent it way too often, and generally have either nothing of value to say, or nothing nice to say at all. Some new people get the bullwhip for asking questions the search function couldnt help them with, or they just do not have the time to go searching through the forums page after page thread after derailed thread to find the answers to specific questions they have, but are sure told ot do so.

this is a free flowing forum, new threads keep things fresh, no matter how stale the topic, new members keep things interesting, no matter the growing number of veterans.

I think that on balance folks get what they give in this forum.

Also, when someone comes on here and disagrees with something in the rules (which were made by us, and can be changed by us at any time) they get automatically told this game is not for them. Interesting answer, considering just a few years ago those rules never existed, and in fact there are still tons of grandfathered caches out there that were placed without those rules, and yet they are still allowed, even encouraged to be caught.

As to the bolded line, no, we didn't and don't make the Guidelines. Groundspeak is a privately held corporation which provides the geocaching.com cache listing service. They make and enforce the Guidelines for what caches they will list and what behavior they will tolerate in this forum. We cachers choose to abide by their Guidelines or leave.

This forum is the proper place for ranting, there are some frustrating cachers, caches, and hiders in this world, not to include the muggles, crappy swag, elements, etc etc etc that deserve to have a good venting upon once in a while, from people who are legitimately disgusted by them. This forum is the only real place you could vent such frustrations to an audiance which could potentially feel your pain due to knowing what you are even talking about. If you do not agree with the venter, so be it, state why you do not agree with them, but playing them off as someone who should not be playing the game is absolutely ridiculous and very discouraging for people who are already timid as it is about the internet, and voicing their opinions. you are scaring off new players, who will be hiding your new FTF's and enjoyable caches. Way to go, maybe you DONT WANT TO PLAY THE GAME, because you are preventing the future of it.

As stated above, we don't want you to quit the game or to quit this forum, we just want you to quit stirring the pot.

Fourth, I find it absolutely ridiculous that Groundspeak does not pay its volunteer moderators, who dedicate their lives to geocaching. These people are the oil of this game, keeping it running smoothly, in ways some of us will never ever get to see, or understand, and yet groundspeaks only paycheck to them is (not even free premium membership) but the ability to ban people in the forums, and approve caches. sometimes in that order.

which brings me to another interesting side note, I find it hilarious that "volunteers" moderate the forums. Not paid Groundspeak workers, we are therefore policing ourselves, we are placing the caches, we are finding the caches, we are holding the events, making the swag, selling the swag, buying the swag, donating money, restricted to Groundspeak approved apps, etc etc.

I really can't see how Groundspeak's business model re Moderators and Reviewers is any of our business. We hide caches, if they meet Groundspeak's guidelines they list them for us. That's the extent of our interest in how they run their business.

so aside from the cost of the servers, and the few people responsible for maintaining them to keep the website running smoothly, (because I think even some volunteer moderators may be doing some of the web design) which is probably in all honesty paid for completely by the advertising, and official swag purchases (which cost an arm and a leg, and really are not that great imo.) what do the ceos of Groundspeak actually do for the community? do they bail us out of jail when our cache violates some guideline? no, because its then our fault. do they stick up for us, listen to our rants about this and that, do they sponsor our local events? what do they do exactly except collect a lot of our money by creating a monopoly through a namebrand on an international treasure hunt? side note ended.

Methinks you have no clue what it takes to run a business. And, Groundspeak did not create a monopoly, we cachers did. There are and always has been other listing sites for us to list and hunt caches. We geocachers overwhelmingly CHOOSE to use geocaching.com. That makes them successful, not monopolistic!

And Moderators and Reviewers ARE given a free Premium Account (two, actually) as an appreciation for their volunteer service.

Fifth, I have been spending wayyyy too much money, more than I actually have to find, hide, and maintain caches for a game i no longer enjoy. Enough said.

You could have just said this up front and saved yourself a lot of typing. No one should spend money on caching if they can't afford it... it's a GAME for those who can.

Finally, and most important to me personally,

the whole reason i got into geocaching was to have an activity to share with my (now ex, wonder why) girlfriend. We had little in common, and even less we could actually share with one another, but geocaching honestly in my opinion brought us together, it was probably the most unified time we have shared together in our ever shaky relationship. Of course bits of my personality eventually ruined even that activity, at least for a while it was the best thing thats happened to me in a very long time. Now she is caching with a new group of guys or so I think, and its just no longer fun for me to find a cache she has logged with them. Its rather disheartening. I was running my numbers up to catch up with her, but now I just dont care anymore. So.... there you have it.

If you harbor that much jealousy and mistrust then you didn't in fact have any sort of healthy relationship. That kind of problem can't be fixed. You are both better off apart.

I will be leaving my account open for about a week in case someone wants to contact me for whatever reason, (im very easy to find on a google search under the same screen name, I have no reason to hide) or if they want to adopt one of my 7 caches, or all of them, otherwise, i will be disabling then archiving them all, and donating the containers and contents to anyone who wants them.

Actually, since you haven't gone anywhere and are answering almost every post I think that you are just trolling again. As a geocide this is a FAIL

If you have read this far, congratulate yourself. If you want to comment, I am very interested, good bad, ugly, to what anyone has to say on one of or all of the above topics, if you want to convince me to stay, you want me to join your local group and go caching with you, thinking you can change my mind, or if you just plain want me to stop typing and go play in traffic speak now.

Thanks to everyone on this board and all the people who have mailed me, found my caches, or just read my threads and got some entertainment out of them, its been a great time. Ive seen and done some amazing things through geocaching, I love the idea, just not the specifics. Who wouldnt want to find a treasure box in the middle of the woods, a parking lot, or in between two buildings?

I read this far and answered because I would love to see you make the effort to become an important and involved member of this forum community. I hope that you will take what I and others have told you as good advice, tone down your act and make friends here.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

:lol: He probably does find it boring as hell.

@ TheAlabamaRambler...maybe you can fix those quotes so its not nearly impossible to follow your replies

Working on it, the eyes aren't what they once were and I haven't found where I messed up the quoting yet. Do you see it?

EDIT: Never mind, I couldn't see where I garbled the quotes so I painted his text flame red. :lol:

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Not really, I just said that to get a response from people like you.

And certain other self-impressed folk who reside in here.

Thanks a bunch. :D

Edited by Team Cotati

@ TheAlabamaRambler...maybe you can fix those quotes so its not nearly impossible to follow your replies

Working on it, the eyes aren't what they once were and I haven't found where I messed up the quoting yet. Do you see it?

You have a double start quote at the beginning

Edited by BlueDeuce

yeah, easier to read now in red...the easiest way to do the separate quotes, without the original name is to use the little icon at the top...second from the right

like this :lol:

highlight the text and hit the icon

Your usual MO. Switch directions as needed.

ihasafail-EpicFail.jpg

thanks for the advice,

i do actually like my caches, and some people have really liked them as well, maybe ill just leave them active, and call everything else quits for a while like you suggested.

I would love to hike and cache on more scenic parts of the country, ill be heading out to the smokey mts and or the red sand desert in a few months, so who knows, i definitely wont find a signature form her on there.

Hey Ashnikes,

You and I are not the best of friends, but know that everything I've ever said has only been trying to help you. I'm not a big forum veteran, but I have been geocaching for 4 and a half years, which though short in comparision to the careers of some, it's been long enough to get to know this sport pretty well.

Your information has been corrected by Keystone quite eloquently, so I won't go into that; but I will say this:

Perhaps give geocaching another try from a different angle. Look at each experience like it is new; even what seems like the poorest micro hide may have something special about it. What's in that area? A beautiful river? A lake? Perhaps a nice yard with flowers, people out and about enjoying themselves, etc... this is how I've kept caching fresh for me, even when my back hurt so bad I couldn't hike in the mountains to find what I consider to be the higher quality caches.

Look at each cache like a milestone of sorts; an experience gained. And if you can, go find those caches our in the mountains, they can be extremely rewarding, even those that take all day to hike to. You might only find one in a day, but the hike, the experience of being outdoors, and getting away from the urban sprawl can be just what the doctor ordered; and no, your ex's signature probably won't be on the logsheet.

I realize that we are almost the same age, so I'll try to make this not sound preachy; trust me, that's not my intention, but relationships might come and go, but you are the only person you have to live with the rest of your life. If you really want friends and good relationships, there's a lid to every pot.

My husband used to not get along with most people, but once he stepped back and really examined himself and his own actions, he has made some great friends. I admit that the way you preface your forums posts implies that you have a pretty bad attitude. Think about how you might change that to give people a better impression of who you are really are.

I am sure you're not a bad person. I can tell that you're sensitive, and probably pretty impatient, and I can tell that you're grieving about your ex. That's natural.

I do recommend that you try caching again sometime in the future, like I said, perhaps from a different approach. And yes, leave your caches that you own up for a while, since people do like them. Take some time to research the truth about the guidelines, reviewers, etc before forming such strong opinions about them. You may find that the guidelines are not as oppressive, the CEOS are not as money grubbing (Jeremy is a really nice person, btw), and the volunteers are doing it for different reasons than you think they are.

Best of luck to you, sincerely.

I'll give it a 8.5

You can't vote... its not over yet. At least, I'm betting that it isn't.

And he still hasn't filled out the geocide form. That's an automatic 3 point deduction.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know--It's my own dadgum fault!" :anibad:

How clever of Groundspeak to change Jimmy Buffet's language and replace it with Bobby Bowden-speak! I'm impressed! Is that automated or does a moderator have to do it??? There should be some notice that this has been done, so as not to provoke misquotation issues. Neither I nor Mr. Buffet have ever, ever used that word. We're from south Florida and Gators, not the Panhandle and Seminoles...

From the old guy on the west coast, ( waiting for the dudes to measure me for the wooden suit )

It is OK to have cross gender friends. It is OK to have same gender friends and it is just as OK to have friends in the gay, lesbian, transgender communities.

Heck, she was only caching ... friends are friends ... caching friends are priceless friends.

Get out there and cache your backside off ... visit special places and make special memories ...

The best to you.

I concur 100%. I would be missing out on a whole hell of a lot in my life if it weren't for my friends who are of the opposite gender, and that includes caching friends. She could be doing a whole lot worse than caching with other guys, and she *is* your ex.