What a Fool

I already posted this in the chat room but for anyone that missed here it is again so you can laugh at me too :(

Today I spend about 40 minutes looking for a cache before I realised the coords in my GPSr were in fact for the car park not the cache.

what a muppet

:D

and then as if to confirm my muppet status, when I got home I stood on a rake, cartoon styleee and got it full force in the side of the head :)

Nope......not gonna laugh at you at all :( I had worked out a simple puzzle cache yonks ago, and then last week I was working close by. The GPSr took a while to find any satellites as I faffed about in a car-park for ages holding it above my head, at arms length looking for a signal and when it did say those magic words "ready to navigate", I then looked for the said co-ords......that I HADN'T put in.....D'oh! :D What I had done was write them down on a bit of paper......back at home, of course......ready to put in the GPS!

Yep......we can all be muppets sometimes :)

I've wasted an inordinate amount of time using the coordinates for one cache alongside the clue/logs for another. The logs for the wrong cache mentioned high nettles so off I went...

I take it you cache paperless too, then? :laughing:

I have the shame of doing this more than once on series caches where they all start with the same name (I have a BB Pearl with a small screen).

Multis listed as Trads have caught me out like this in the past. As for the rake, self-inflicted pain brings the best lessons.

We once spent 25 mins looking for a multi listed as.............................a multi, at stage 1, DOH!

:laughing::rolleyes::D

A caching friend of mine (and this one really wasn't me, although it easily could have been) spotted a cache on his GPS near where he happened to be. So he went to the coordinates, which conveniently had a park bench there. Hunted high and low, not knowing if he was looking for a film pot or an ammo can. After about half an hour he gave up and checked the cache when he got home only to find it was...

a webcam cache.

Multis listed as Trads have caught me out like this in the past. As for the rake, self-inflicted pain brings the best lessons.

We once spent 25 mins looking for a multi listed as.............................a multi, at stage 1, DOH!

:laughing::rolleyes::D

A caching friend of mine (and this one really wasn't me, although it easily could have been) spotted a cache on his GPS near where he happened to be. So he went to the coordinates, which conveniently had a park bench there. Hunted high and low, not knowing if he was looking for a film pot or an ammo can. After about half an hour he gave up and checked the cache when he got home only to find it was...

a webcam cache.

I came back from my travels at sea, was punching in some coordinates at a cache event...

No matter how I entered them in the cache was 2000 odd miles away :huh: ... I checked and double checked ;) ...

Took me about 10 mins to realize, my GPS had not woken up yet and thought it was still of the coast of West Africa :o

I've wasted an inordinate amount of time using the coordinates for one cache alongside the clue/logs for another. The logs for the wrong cache mentioned high nettles so off I went...

I take it you cache paperless too, then? <_<

I have the shame of doing this more than once on series caches where they all start with the same name (I have a BB Pearl with a small screen).

:laughing:

In my defence, it was a puzzle cache so I was flicking between the coordinates (which were a waypoint) and the cache listing.

Just got back from doing a few caches.....looking at my Oregon 300 I couldn't work out, on the map page, why no matter which way I walked I was 90 to 95 feet from one particular cache. Walked halfway up the road one bit and back.....but would the wretched thing budge?

Then I realised that whilst it had been in my pocket I'd somehow changed the readout from "distance to destination" to "elevation".....

Edited by uncle_adolph_and_angelbex

Just got back from doing a few caches.....looking at my Oregon 300 I couldn't work out, on the map page, why no matter which way I walked I was 90 to 95 feet from one particular cache. Walked halfway up the road one bit and back.....but would the wretched thing budge?

Then I realised that whilst it had been in my pocket I'd somehow changed the readout from "distance to destination" to "elevation".....

How many times have i done THAT!

How many times have i done THAT!

Darn those sensitive touch screens! :lol:

Screen lock is a sanity saver :D

Well in a FTF dash, i downloaded the info to my oregon checked the position and google earth grabbed a torch and drove the 5 miles to the cache.

Then realised my trusty oregon was still at home plugged in to my pc.

Luckily i spotted a likely hiding place and found the cache, the log book was even still empty!

The touch screen on the oregon has however caused a few problems.

i have accidentally reset all the waypoints on the way to one!

and done a factory reset while out caching so there were no caches on there! all while the oregon was in my pocket!

still love it though

Edited by burtsbodgers

I already posted this in the chat room but for anyone that missed here it is again so you can laugh at me too B)

Today I spend about 40 minutes looking for a cache before I realised the coords in my GPSr were in fact for the car park not the cache.

what a muppet

;)

and then as if to confirm my muppet status, when I got home I stood on a rake, cartoon styleee and got it full force in the side of the head :D

This made me smile. Have you never heard the saying, "Better to say nothing at all and be considered a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Believe me, you are not alone. B)

a webcam cache.

On my recent stag do we all went geocaching, Using a list of caches provided by my wife to be. We spent ages searching around Honister slate mine in the rain, for a cache with no sucess, until when I got back I read the details and it said it was a virtual cache!

A couple of years ago I drove from Exeter all the way up the M5 to the Severn Bridge on the way to the Wye Valley camping event without turning on my pda. I decided to stop at the services to check directions - only to find out the SD card with the caches I'd loaded, and all my memory maps, were still in the card reader plugged into my pc 100 miles away :D