This is why I hide.

Got this log on my oldest hide - It is these stories that make hiding caches worth all the effort and money...thought I would share it.

This is one of the funniest geocaching stories ever. I'm still pretty new at this so I made a rookie error and turned too early into a cow pasture. There happens to be a horse trail up to about 200 meters from the cache so I just thought it was a very clever hide. I was with 15 exchange students and dragged them through the field littered with cow pies only to have my gps battery die at about 500 m from the cache (that I now know I couldn't have gotten to). Disappointed and exhausted after a long drive and then a mile hike with no reward, we vowed to return. We came back with 15 more exchange students, so now trekking through this field with 30 people and a full battery, STILL don't find it (since I'm in a totally WRONG place). My students are now hellbent on finding this thing. We find the right road, but because of the recent snowmelt and subsequent drenching rains, there's a huge mudpit in the middle of the road up to the rocks. My boss tells me to stop and that I'll get stuck. "Let it go." she says... HA! My students are now screaming in anticipation as I rev my mini-van and back up to get a run at it. I hit the mudpit around 45 mph and managed to barely make it through. At the rocks, we found the cache and I think we were heard for miles around... I think we would've cued inspirational movie music if we could have. Thanks for giving me such an amazing memory. TFTC! See pic of the excitement and will log on the student's account I made for their hides as well.

c6c80395-f030-4b8d-a54a-2ff17c429695.jpg

This cache - Jail Rock Nebraska

Edited by StarBrand

This is the kind of log that makes it worth wile to hide a cache. At the risk of offending someone you seldom see a log like that on a P&G in the Wally World parking lot.

No, but I had a very similar experince with a magnetic keyholder in a parking garage several years ago. (No mud or cow pies were involved and our group was smaller.)

Awesome! I love stories like this! :D

As someone who deals with groups as part of my job & frequently having to transport them from place to place, one part of the log made me wonder:

We find the right road, but because of the recent snowmelt and subsequent drenching rains, there's a huge mudpit in the middle of the road up to the rocks. My boss tells me to stop and that I'll get stuck. "Let it go." she says... HA! My students are now screaming in anticipation as I rev my mini-van and back up to get a run at it. I hit the mudpit around 45 mph and managed to barely make it through.
So, they took a mini-van to the cache? A mini-van has seats for 7 people. Assuming they put the camera on a timer to take a pic, that means they had:

c6c80395-f030-4b8d-a54a-2ff17c429695.jpg

. . . 10 people in the mini-van? :wub: (11 if someone took the pic!) :D

. . . doing 45 mph into a mud pit? :grin:

Hope their insurance company doesn't read this. . . :grin:

Still, a great story! :D

That almost brought a tear to my eye.

I love it on Saturday mornings when I'm dreading working on the honeydew list and my children come up to me and ask "Can we go treasure hunting today?" I can't turn them down so we go find a nearby place we haven't gone to and go caching. "Sorry Honey. I need to spend more time with the kids..."

I love it on Saturday mornings when I'm dreading working on the honeydew list and my children come up to me and ask "Can we go treasure hunting today?" I can't turn them down so we go find a nearby place we haven't gone to and go caching. "Sorry Honey. I need to spend more time with the kids..."

I am going to use your resoning from now on :wub:

I am going to use your resoning from now on :grin:
Me too!

Oh. . . :wub:

We don't have any kids. . . :D

Awlright! Who's kids can I rent out? :grin:

No, but I had a very similar experince with a magnetic keyholder in a parking garage several years ago. (No mud or cow pies were involved and our group was smaller.)

So what you are saying is ----- other than:

rural prairie -- parking garage

cowpies -- swept floors

mud -- concrete

dirt road -- paved garage

this guy was a newbie -- you are experienced

ammo box -- key holder

large group -- small group

It was just like this experience.

:anibad::smile: