Garmin!

Apologies for repeating this topic..

But those nice folks at Garmin, replaced a battered old Etrex I had, that was 4 (Yes four) years out of warranty.. at - wait for it - no charge at all.

What was wrong with it Steve? That's impressive customer service!

Glad you got good service mate, they charged me £42 when I sent my old Legend in with a cracked screen.

Only sent it in after all the recomendations, wasn't really worthj it as could have got a basic yellow brick about the same price on ebay.

Win some Lose some!!

Edited by DrDick&Vick

But those nice folks at Garmin, replaced a battered old Etrex I had, that was 4 (Yes four) years out of warranty.. at - wait for it - no charge at all.

What was wrong with it Steve? That's impressive customer service!

The rubber surround had dropped off...

That happened to my old one to. They told me it was a design fault with the glue so replaced mine when it was out of warranty too :blink:. It's different to a cracked screen, as a cracked screen would be the result of carelessness or an accident, rather than faulty product.

I'm not very impressed...

I asked them about my Colorado as the wheel works loose and comes out. Six weeks ago they offered to send me a replacement wheel - free of charge, but I've never received it.

Ho hum......

Time for a follow-up email/call then :blink:

I had an issue with my Colorado the rock and roller used to jump and miss digits, it was about 15months old. They sent me a replacement RnR that did nothing. I kept it until after the summer holidays and rang them again, they then said it was to old and it would be a chargeable repair, but if I sent it in they would take a look, they did take a look and sent it back without doing anything they never even bothered ringing me like they said they would :blink: that was £6 postage down the drain. So I put up with it then rang them a couple of weeks back now 22 months old and the man said no worries send it in and the replaced it FOC this time. I wonder if it is down to who you speak to there.

I'm seriously impressed.

Thank you Garmin.

Any specific department, area or person you recommend speaking to or sending to? We've got our 7 year old trusty eMap thats lost a few lines at the top of the screen, it's still usable but would be nice to get it fixed (for free! :blink: ) if possible .

name='choccymandm' date='Mar 5 2010, 09:47 AM' post='4248514']

Any specific department, area or person you recommend speaking to or sending to? We've got our 7 year old trusty eMap thats lost a few lines at the top of the screen, it's still usable but would be nice to get it fixed (for free! :blink: ) if possible .

We, and friend ,have always asked how much repairs will cost at initial phone inquiry.

Have never expected free repair .

Have then always hand delivered our G.P.S. ( have said we would/O.K.'d that at phone inquiry )

(data saved beforehand )

A replacement G.P.S. has always been sent to us by post within a few days

There has never been an invoice in package asking for payment for postage or repairs .

We've had 3 repairs done for free and a friend has had two .

Two of ours were battery connnecters broken ,one was a split screen.

Friends was one rubber surround come off and other was some of the characters worn off under the buttons of an old C60 .

I have a 6 year old Garmin Vista that's been sitting in a drawer for 18 months. The screen goes totally dark after I turn it on. Garmin said it was a software problem and wanted £60 to fix it. It's obviously out of it's warranty period and if I had dropped it or not looked after it, then fair enough - but a software problem that's not of my making - I expected them to do the decent thing and not charge.....

I have a 6 year old Garmin Vista that's been sitting in a drawer for 18 months. The screen goes totally dark after I turn it on. Garmin said it was a software problem and wanted £60 to fix it. It's obviously out of it's warranty period and if I had dropped it or not looked after it, then fair enough - but a software problem that's not of my making - I expected them to do the decent thing and not charge.....

The same thing happened to my Oregon 400t last night. I removed, replaced and changed the batteries, to no avail, so called them. They told me to install new software and reset it, which I did, and it seems to have worked (for now), although I'll have to reinstate heaps of waypoints.

Anyway, they were helpful, as has always been my (limited) experience in dealing with them.

:D

Two of my GPS's suffered the Rubber Surround problem, a Vista Cx (3yrs = old) and a Legend HCx (well over a year old) and I sent them back. I recieved a fully recon Vista back and this morning a brand new (boxed with all the bits) Legend HCx.

All in all no complaints here.

Top marks to Garmin for the service as the turn round time for the Legend was fantastic seeing as they would not have recieved it until Monday this week.

...starting to feel really victimised now, they wouldn't entertain my broken screen (without a big fat cheque and no guarantee I would get my own unit back) even when regaled with the story of how it smashed as I fell out of my wheelchair ... good luck to those who got great service, but wondering why responses are patchy.

Because yours was damaged - not wear and tear.

They will repair wear and tear as it's a fault of the product, but damage can not be attributed to Garmin if it occured in a fall - it's just an accident on the part of the owner in whatever circumstances it occured.

My Legend stopped working while on holiday and I found part of the on/off switch had broken. I had to remove the rubber surround and bodge the switch with bits of a less used switch, a pair of tweezers and a roll of selotape. I have dropped it several times and it's years old.

I was more than happy to pay £36 for a full overhaul and 12 months warranty or a replacement. Most companies won't touch out of warranty repairs and you have to buy a new one. The repair price varies with the model of GPS.

I'm looking forward to getting it (or a replacement) back soon.

...starting to feel really victimised now, they wouldn't entertain my broken screen (without a big fat cheque and no guarantee I would get my own unit back) even when regaled with the story of how it smashed as I fell out of my wheelchair ... good luck to those who got great service, but wondering why responses are patchy.

I had the same issue, my 60CSX was just out of warranty and imaculate, except the broken screen where i trippped up and it landed face down on the corner of a stone. I got the full charge and a reconditioned replacement. It does seem to be if you get a good one, on the bright side it was back within 5 days. :)

Mark