NANO's - Every container has an original use.

baloo&bd

Being the curious type, I just gotta ask.

It easy to see what an ammo box was used for. Likewise a preform, magnetic key holder, fake rock, Lock n' Lock. What on earth were the little nano/button/blinky like the one pictured here used for?

Nano%20geocache.JPG

They are called blinkys because they were modified from a certain belly dancer adornment. Notice how they are about the same size as a belly button?

Not all belly buttons are created equal.

That's what navel lint is for.

Anyway, back on topic, I wasn't aware of their use as, erm, personal jewelry. I thought it is mainly for decoration.

http://www.ledgifts.com/LED_blinky.html

Edit : I have somthing else to add, but 3 posts in a row by me seems overkill. StarBrand was going to do a database of geocache containers, anyone know what became of the project?

Edit 2 : I've only found one blinker that started life as a genuine LED blinker. Most others are geocaches.

Edited by Chrysalides

I'd guess that the first of those in use as geocaches were manufactured as jewelry. In 2004, KipKay, of the St Pete FL, area began making Mr Magneto. It was expressly made as a geocache. Smaller than a blinkie, not enough room for the bulb or battery, and the magnet mounted to the outside.

Now there may well be a number of lines of those being made.

I think these originated from little LED blinking lights that are often used to put on dog collar's for night time walking, so the owner can tell where the dog is.

depth-of-field-sm-pet-blink.jpg

dane.jpg

I have seen a cache that actually was one of these dog blinkies, painted, and the batteries swapped with a log.

These must have then been modified for GeoCaching, to not include an LED.

Thats my guess :(

"These blinkies look very attractive and exciting in dark." :(

Ok my curiosity overtook me and I did the image google search for "belly button jewelry" Don't do it - just don't do it. Off to bleach my eyes out too now. Why didn't I listen!

Edit - typo - I blame the bleach in my eyes

:P:P LOL

(And this is one of those rare occasions when I type "LOL", and I actually did "Laugh Out Loud" :P )

Edited by Mini-Geek

Ok my curiosity overtook me and I did the image google search for "belly button jewelry" Don't do it - just don't do it. Off to bleach my eyes out too now. Why didn't I listen!

Arrggggg. I looked. The problem with a statement like that is it virtually encourages you to look.

Meh, I looked. It's just a fat woman, no big deal. The other people on the page were pretty attractive, though.

It easy to see what an ammo box was used for. Likewise a preform, magnetic key holder, fake rock, Lock n' Lock. What on earth were the little nano/button/blinky like the one pictured here used for?

Nano%20geocache.JPG

Do you know why they are called Blinkys?? Google that and you'll see what they were. I've always windered what they did with all the batteries, and the other little magnets that came with them??

Arrggggg. I looked. The problem with a statement like that is it virtually encourages you to look.

Yep, it sure does lol. I ran out of bleach, do you think oven cleaner will work? :blink:

First time I saw the container it had an LED light in the cap. Batteries inside and 2 magnets. 1 inside and one removable outside. They were called body lights. Stick them on your tongue or cheek with the magnets. Tjis was about 5-6 years ago, before I knew what geacaching was.

I've got one that I haven't placed yet. Originally it was one of two - magnetic flashing earrings that my daughter bought at a festival. Don't know what happened to the other one. I'm still trying to work out how to disguise it as it's silver with a white top. Green acrylic paint peeled straight off. <_<

Yep, it sure does lol. I ran out of bleach, do you think oven cleaner will work? :laughing:

IF you can still read this... you could always try Bear Spray! (Just Kidding, I think!)

Doug

Nano%20geocache.JPG

They are called blinkys because they were modified from a certain belly dancer adornment. Notice how they are about the same size as a belly button?

Well, I've been belly dancing for, well let's just say lots of years, and we (seriously) don't wear those things.

These remind me of those old heart attack suffers small neck chain gasketed nitro pill containers.

*Long* before I started Geocaching, i used those little pill containers to carry crushed hot peppers (mostly Habenero) to add to food when I went out. Almost lost it one time when I entered our local County Courthouse and the guard on duty made me give it up. Guess he was afraid I'd use the peppers as a weapon.. :rolleyes: